2019-2020 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary:

Supplemental Questions:
  1. List three adjectives that characterize the community in which you grew up.
  2. Briefly describe the community you anticipate practicing medicine in post-residency: (100 word max)
  3. In the event you are accepted to two or more medical schools, what factors would be most important in determining which school would be the "best fit" for you. (150 word max)
  4. The UTRGV SOM educates future physicians with the following values in mind:
    Patient Advocacy, Community-Focus, Cultural Awareness, Collaborative Leadership Style, Lifelong Problem Solving.

Choose TWO (2) of these values and explain their importance to you and how they integrate with each other. Please explain how this integration will impact your medical school education.
    (300 word max)

Learning Experiences:

DESCRIBE EXPERIENCES YOU HAVE HAD UNRELATEDTO SCIENCE OR MEDICINE.
PART 1: Required
PART 2: Select 2 out of the 3*
  • briefly describe the experience
  • state the circumstances of the experience (why you participated)
  • what you learned about yourself through that experience
*Experiences may be used more than once to address each category. Limit your answers to the space provided.

Part 1:
A. A situation in which you interacted with individuals who were different from you: (150 words)

B. Our Mission at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School Of Medicine (UTRGV SOM) is to educate a diverse group of medical students and future biomedical scientists; to develop physicians who will serve across all disciplines of medicine; bring hope to patients and communities by advancing biomedical knowledge through research. Our goal is to provide a forward-thinking medical education experience dedicated to scientific, evidence-based, patient-centered medicine to serve all communities, including those underserved. Submit a 2 minute video that answers the question below. To submit a video of your response, please upload the video to YouTube as Unlisted. Do not upload it as Private. Enter the URL of the uploaded video into the text box below.
How does your background and/or experiences align with UTRGV SOM Mission?

Part 2
A community service experience: (150 words)
A position of responsibility/authority in which others depended on you for direction: (150 words)
A creative endeavor (anything that required you to be creative in your approach, such as fine arts, computer programming, web design, writing, etc.): (150 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Texas - RGV

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just applied Early Decision. Anyone else in the same boat?

Just applied Early Decision. Anyone else in the same boat?
Applying Early Decision to UTRGV is a new option just beginning this year.
@NonTr4ditional What end date did they give you by which they will accept you or release you?

To others considering doing this:
As I understand their rules for applying Early Decision to UTRGV:
1. Applicants must currently reside in, or be originally from the Rio Grande Valley
2. If you apply ED to UTRGV you may not apply to ANY OTHER Texas medical schools until UTRGV has made a decision on you. If they accept you, you must commit. If they release you, you are then able to apply elsewhere in TX.
3. They SAY they will decide by early August. Track record for this school doing things on time is not good.
4. As we have learned from TMDSAS statistics, applications submitted in August and September only get 10-11% of the TMDSAS interviews.
So if you are someone who applied here ED and were not accepted, your app could only be sent to other Texas schools very late in the game, making you less likely to be interviewed.

It's a risky thing to do, guys, consider carefully.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wysdoc, you're exactly correct. As per their website, they will accept/release on or before August 31st. There is also the stipulation that you must be from or currently reside in the RGV.

As per their website:
  • Applicants must currently reside or be originally from the Rio Grande Valley

Applying Early Decision to UTRGV is a new option just beginning this year.
@NonTr4ditional What end date did they give you by which they will accept you or release you?

To others considering doing this:
As I understand their rules:
1. If you apply ED to UTRGV you may not apply to ANY OTHER Texas medical schools until UTRGV has made a decision on you. If they accept you, you must commit. If they release you, you are then able to apply elsewhere in TX.
2. They SAY they will decide by early August. Track record for this school doing things on time is not good.
3. As we have learned from TMDSAS statistics, applications submitted in August and September only get 10-11% of the TMDSAS interviews.
So if you are someone who applied here ED and were not accepted, your app could only be sent to other Texas schools very late in the game, making you less likely to be interviewed.

It's a risky thing to do, guys, consider carefully.
I want to chime in a little bit also, I’m going to be an MS1 this upcoming year and I can definitely agree on the them not being on time with stuff. It’s going to be June and we haven’t even gotten our financial aid packages while my friends at other schools gotten a long time ago. They told us that we would get it a few days later from the initial email, we’ll its been weeks lol.

Furthermore, they tend to not reply much on the email, idk if they get lost or stuff but yeah. Do be careful if timing is a factor for you.

Reactions: 3 users
Wysdoc, you're exactly correct. As per their website, they will accept/release on or before August 31st. There is also the stipulation that you must be from or currently reside in the RGV.

As per their website:
  • Applicants must currently reside or be originally from the Rio Grande Valley
Thanks @NonTr4ditional I will edit my post to reflect this fact

I want to chime in a little bit also, I’m going to be an MS1 this upcoming year and I can definitely agree on the them not being on time with stuff. It’s going to be June and we haven’t even gotten our financial aid packages while my friends at other schools gotten a long time ago. They told us that we would get it a few days later from the initial email, we’ll its been weeks lol.

Furthermore, they tend to not reply much on the email, idk if they get lost or stuff but yeah. Do be careful if timing is a factor for you.

I too have had trouble reaching them via email. My best mode of contact has been walking myself down to the admissions office and talking in person. They are friendly there

Have they started sending out secondary applications yet? I know they screen so I wasn't sure what I should expect in terms of how long it will be between the time I submitted my primary and the time I may receive a secondary

Have they started sending out secondary applications yet? I know they screen so I wasn't sure what I should expect in terms of how long it will be between the time I submitted my primary and the time I may receive a secondary
Have you received notice from TMDSAS yet that your file has been transmitted? When you do, you have 7 days to check and make sure everything looks correct before they send it on to the schools.
This is a long process so keep the timeline in mind.

Have you received notice from TMDSAS yet that your file has been transmitted? When you do, you have 7 days to check and make sure everything looks correct before they send it on to the schools.
This is a long process so keep the timeline in mind.

Looks like my application status does say "transmitted to school" about 12 business days ago, so I'll just be on the lookout for any email about an RGV secondary

Has anyone else gotten a secondary invite from them. I've gotten one from all the other TMDSAS schools but not them yet

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a secondary invite! IS

@wysdoc They have both this year. The secondary is as follows:

Supplemental Questions:
  1. List three adjectives that characterize the community in which you grew up.
  2. Briefly describe the community you anticipate practicing medicine in post-residency: (100 word max)
  3. In the event you are accepted to two or more medical schools, what factors would be most important in determining which school would be the "best fit" for you. (150 word max)
  4. The UTRGV SOM educates future physicians with the following values in mind:
    Patient Advocacy, Community-Focus, Cultural Awareness, Collaborative Leadership Style, Lifelong Problem Solving.

Choose TWO (2) of these values and explain their importance to you and how they integrate with each other. Please explain how this integration will impact your medical school education.
    (300 word max)

Learning Experiences:

DESCRIBE EXPERIENCES YOU HAVE HAD UNRELATED TO SCIENCE OR MEDICINE.
PART 1: Required
PART 2: Select 2 out of the 3*
  • briefly describe the experience
  • state the circumstances of the experience (why you participated)
  • what you learned about yourself through that experience
*Experiences may be used more than once to address each category. Limit your answers to the space provided.

Part 1:
A. A situation in which you interacted with individuals who were different from you: (150 words)

B. Our Mission at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School Of Medicine (UTRGV SOM) is to educate a diverse group of medical students and future biomedical scientists; to develop physicians who will serve across all disciplines of medicine; bring hope to patients and communities by advancing biomedical knowledge through research. Our goal is to provide a forward-thinking medical education experience dedicated to scientific, evidence-based, patient-centered medicine to serve all communities, including those underserved. Submit a 2 minute video that answers the question below. To submit a video of your response, please upload the video to YouTube as Unlisted. Do not upload it as Private. Enter the URL of the uploaded video into the text box below.
How does your background and/or experiences align with UTRGV SOM Mission?

Part 2
A community service experience: (150 words)
A position of responsibility/authority in which others depended on you for direction: (150 words)
A creative endeavor (anything that required you to be creative in your approach, such as fine arts, computer programming, web design, writing, etc.): (150 words)

Quite a lengthy secondary, if you ask me!

I received my secondary invite two days ago and I'm applying to the Early Decision Program

Reactions: 1 users
I received the same secondary two days ago as well but am just applying for regular decision. My MCAT should be received but still waiting on a LOR to be transmitted, so having all the supporting documents in is likely not a factor

I submitted my application about 1.5 weeks ago. When do you think my application would get reviewed and I would potentially get invited for a secondary?

Still no secondary from them. I have gotten a secondary from every other Texas school except Dell and RGV. Starting to get a little worried.

Dell screens. I think UTRGV screens as well but each app that gets screened gets reviewed holistically to see if you fit their mission.

My app transmitted yesterday and I received a secondary invite this morning. Have you checked your junk mail?

It says I have been selected.

My app was transmitted the third day TMDSAS was open and I've heard nothing from this school. 520 MCAT URM with thousands of hours as a PA. My wife is from Pharr and we have a newborn we would like to raise near his grandparents so we really were interested in this school.

My app was transmitted the third day TMDSAS was open and I've heard nothing from this school. 520 MCAT URM with thousands of hours as a PA. My wife is from Pharr and we have a newborn we would like to raise near his grandparents so we really were interested in this school.
Well here is their screening process directly from the admissions website. If you meet all of their requirements, you should receive a secondary.

"Completed applications from applicants with the following metrics: MCAT scored above the 50th% (500); MCAT sections must be at 122 or above; GPA-overall at 3.0 or above and GPA-Science at 3.2 or above will be automatically moved and assigned for review and further processing. Applicants who fall below the 50th% or other aforementioned metrics, will be forwarded to a special admissions sub-committee for evaluation . Applicants with MCAT scores below 495 or applicants with felony convictions will not be considered for admission.

The applicants who are selected for processing will be sent a Secondary Application for completion. Once the Secondary Application is completed and returned, the applicant is then “randomly” assigned to an admissions committee member for review and consideration for interview."

Check all your spam email :)

received a secondary invite this morning. Application transmitted June 7th. my mcat score came out yesterday and I sent it to TMDSAS through AAMC yesterday, so I think their screening process is rather quick

Well here is their screening process directly from the admissions website. If you meet all of their requirements, you should receive a secondary.

"Completed applications from applicants with the following metrics: MCAT scored above the 50th% (500); MCAT sections must be at 122 or above; GPA-overall at 3.0 or above and GPA-Science at 3.2 or above will be automatically moved and assigned for review and further processing. Applicants who fall below the 50th% or other aforementioned metrics, will be forwarded to a special admissions sub-committee for evaluation . Applicants with MCAT scores below 495 or applicants with felony convictions will not be considered for admission.

The applicants who are selected for processing will be sent a Secondary Application for completion. Once the Secondary Application is completed and returned, the applicant is then “randomly” assigned to an admissions committee member for review and consideration for interview."
Thanks! I emailed admissions. Hopefully there was an issue with the email. If not, hopefully I can get some constructive criticism on how not to get screened out so early.

I just received a secondary this afternoon. Did you guys see the helpful timeline posted last year by faculty/admin/adcom from that UTRGV?

Last edited:
For the video question, are we supposed to use non-medical/non-science experiences for that as well? It's under that same section, but it seems kind of hard to talk about how I share RGV's values (patient-centered care, research, underserved populations, etc.) without talking about my own research or healthcare experiences.

For those of you that are applying ED, what do you think of "In the event you are accepted to two or more medical schools, what factors would be most important in determining which school would be the "best fit" for you." ? Is this a hypothetical as if what would we do if we didn't get into UTRGV ED and had to apply to all schools in August?

For those of you that are applying ED, what do you think of "In the event you are accepted to two or more medical schools, what factors would be most important in determining which school would be the "best fit" for you." ? Is this a hypothetical as if what would we do if we didn't get into UTRGV ED and had to apply to all schools in August?

I see this prompt as one that essentially reads, "What factors are you looking for in a medical school?". I am not applying ED, but that's how I am approaching this prompt.

For the video question, are we supposed to use non-medical/non-science experiences for that as well? It's under that same section, but it seems kind of hard to talk about how I share RGV's values (patient-centered care, research, underserved populations, etc.) without talking about my own research or healthcare experiences.

I read last year's thread and someone called the admissions department about this. They said it was fine to talk about healthcare experiences for that question.

Do you guys think ED'ing increases chance for admission or is just a way for students in love with a school to get an earlier decision?
This is the only ED option I know of in Texas, and it is available ONLY to those originally from or currently living in the RGV.
Because of the timeline given by UTRGV, that they will make a decision on their ED applicants by August, it is an option best used by those who are sure they want to learn and live in the area.
Being allowed to apply to other Texas med schools, in August, only if not accepted by UTRGV early decision, would severely limit a Texan’s chances for interviews at other Texas schools.

Do yall think business casual dress is enough for the video secondary question or a suit would be more appropriate

Business casual is fine- check the background of your webcam view and find a quiet time/ place no interruptions
Do yall think business casual dress is enough for the video secondary question or a suit would be more appropriate

Do you guys think ED'ing increases chance for admission or is just a way for students in love with a school to get an earlier decision?

I think on a purely numbers basis it will increase your "odds". But it is a gamble.

No response to my email, I don't know if I should call as I don't want to harass them. TLDR: Never received a secondary and application was transmitted on 5/7/19. GPA/MCAT well above the cut off.

No response to my email, I don't know if I should call as I don't want to harass them. TLDR: Never received a secondary and application was transmitted on 5/7/19. GPA/MCAT well above the cut off.

I called and the person checked my stats and said I was ok for cut offs. They also told me my app had been sent in a few days ago even tho I was transmitted in May but looks like it might have expedited the process

I called and the person checked my stats and said I was ok for cut offs. They also told me my app had been sent in a few days ago even tho I was transmitted in May but looks like it might have expedited the process
Thanks, I called and it turns out it was sent 3 weeks ago - I just never received it in my email. If anyone is in my situation and has not received a secondary despite being above the GPA/MCAT cut off, call them.

Thanks, I called and it turns out it was sent 3 weeks ago - I just never received it in my email. If anyone is in my situation and has not received a secondary despite being above the GPA/MCAT cut off, call them.
Also guys if you are using your college email (or Outlook) as your email those have super strict spam filters and you might miss emails. Consider getting a gmail acct just for your med school stuff. Or check your spam folder daily .

On your secondary did you also receive a video prompt of 5 minutes or less discussing 3 questions?

I just got my MCAT score today, so I have not received my secondary yet. Someone else mentioned they did Early Decision and did get the same prompts as everyone else.

EDIT: yes, I now have a 5 minute or less discussing 3 questions.

Last edited:
On your secondary did you also receive a video prompt of 5 minutes or less discussing 3 questions?

This wasn’t on my secondary... there was just one question which requires a 2 min video. Are you an ED applicant?