2018-2019 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Feeling real defeated. This was my number one choice and I didn't match. Betty says that if you don't match you're most likely on the waitlist. Does anyone know how many people got off the waitlist last year? I know that over half did the first/second years but I heard that there isn't as much movement as the years go on

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Didn’t match here this morning. I was on the pre-match waitlist... the waiting continues.
From my understanding the pre-match waitlist disappears and it becomes one giant waitlist divided into 3 sections : Priority, Middle, and Lower. They begin accepting people from the priority list but it's not in order. There is a sub-committee that reviews the priority pool and picks an applicant to fill in a spot. Once everyone is gone from the priority pool they go on to the middle and etc.....

From my understanding the pre-match waitlist disappears and it becomes one giant waitlist divided into 3 sections : Priority, Middle, and Lower. They begin accepting people from the priority list but it's not in order. There is a sub-committee that reviews the priority pool and picks an applicant to fill in a spot. Once everyone is gone from the priority pool they go on to the middle and etc.....

Do we get to know where we are on the waitlist ie priority/middle/lower?

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 2 users
Feeling real defeated. This was my number one choice and I didn't match. Betty says that if you don't match you're most likely on the waitlist. Does anyone know how many people got off the waitlist last year? I know that over half did the first/second years but I heard that there isn't as much movement as the years go on

same situation & same question! sitting here anxiously trying to figure out the likelihood of getting in this cycle. congrats to everyone who matched!

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed 12/07, heard nothing back at all, and matched this morning. I’m over the moon and I can’t wait to meet classmates!

Hang in there, guys! Rolling admissions!

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 12/07, heard nothing back at all, and matched this morning. I’m over the moon and I can’t wait to meet classmates!

Hang in there, guys! Rolling admissions!
Congrats to you!

So it appears that radio silence was a good thing! I recall they said they'd be interviewing 375 students.. and that between 50-60% of the matriculating class came off the waitlist. I can only hope that I'm in the "section A/upper third" of the waitlist.

Congrats to you!

So it appears that radio silence was a good thing! I recall they said they'd be interviewing 375 students.. and that between 50-60% of the matriculating class came off the waitlist. I can only hope that I'm in the "section A/upper third" of the waitlist.

Betty said the same thing during my interview day. She said the matriculating class was 40% pre-matched/matched and 60% came from the waitlist. This makes me hopeful!

So I was talking to several people today and I am confused about the Match Day system. I was told that some of the school have open spots after match day due to the pre-match offers. I was told that the systems assumes that all prematch offers will make that school number one, so it only match the additional people spots. Example - If UTRGV has 50 seats and they sent out 10 prematch offers than the system only matches 40 of those seats. However, after the match because prematch offers are withdrawn there may be currently 10 spots open if none of the prematch offer chose UTRGV. This is how the movements off the waitlist begin? Can someone confirm this and elaborate more? I always thought that after match day, all spots are filled until Baylor or an OOS school starts accepting people.

@fickled is that what you mean by your spot is now open?

Last edited:
No I don't think so, I've read a lot of threads and it seems like if you call in to ask, Betty will just reply with "You are in a very favorable position." She also said that during interview day.

But I did find this:

https://www.utrgv.edu/school-of-medicine/_files/documents/application-process.pdf

It doesn't help much but it can give you an rough estimate of where you are

Thanks for sharing! Would it be safe to assume that there are little over 100 students per section? I hope other local URMs get accepted elsewhere! :p

So I was talking to several people today and I am confused about the Match Day system. I was told that some of the school have open spots after match day due to the pre-match offers. I was told that the systems assumes that all prematch offers will make that school number one, so it only match the additional people spots. Example - If UTRGV has 50 seats and they sent out 10 prematch offers than the system only matches 40 of those seats. However, after the match because prematch offers are withdrawn there may be currently 10 spots open if none of the prematch offer chose UTRGV. This is how the movements off the waitlist begin? Can someone confirm this and elaborate more? I always thought that after match day, all spots are filled until Baylor or an OOS school starts accepting people.

@Elkewlbeanz is that what you mean by your spot is now open?
This is not correct because some people may rank a school higher than a school at which they have a pre-match offer. The system does not assume that your pre-match offer is your #1 choice. Some applicants have multiple pre-match offers! An applicant can match at any school where they have interviewed via the Match computer protocol. Pre-match is a courtesy way of letting a guy know he has at least one safe spot.
Match Day fills almost all the spots at TMDSAS schools.
The horse-trading and WL movement occurs later on, as some people might get a WL offer from a school they like better than their match school. Why did a school suddenly have an open seat they are trying to fill with a WL offer? Some students may leave their Texas spot for an attractive OOS school, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

@Elkewlbeanz is that what you mean by your spot is now open?

I believe that was fickled that said his spot was now open.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a new Texas Waitlist support group yet?

Does anyone know if they are giving any sort of scholarships?

Does anyone know if they are giving any sort of scholarships?

A current UTRGV student I spoke to during my interview day said that there are lots of scholarships the school offers you can apply for but that you have to actively look for them. Also, Betty had said there would be some kind of 10%-25% discount on tuition for the incoming class.

Has anyone who interviewed on 1/12 heard back? Also, has anyone received a waitlist email post-Match Day?

Has anyone who interviewed on 1/12 heard back? Also, has anyone received a waitlist email post-Match Day?
Are you OOS? Because all IS should have heard from the match results. From previous years what I can tell is that UTRGV sends the waitlist email later in the month

If your TMDSAS portal says you did not match then you have to wait for an email from UTRGV informing you of your current position. From what previous people have said it sounds like the email won't be sent for another week/month.

I was very fortunate to have prematched and matched here. I'm a Valley native with a LizzyM around 65. While it may not be as prestigious as other medical schools in Texas, I believe the unique opportunities and mission here will help mold me into the practitioner I hope to actually become. Plus, I've missed the great Tex-Mex lol.

Really looking forward to meeting my other future classmates. Also, best wishes to all those in wait list limbo, I'm rooting for y'all!

Reactions: 4 users
I am an out of state student and this school is my top choice; should I be worried right now? Does anyone know if all 5 spots for OOS are filled? I have been waiting patiently since my Interview on December 7th and its been super nerve-racking :(

I am an out of state student and this school is my top choice; should I be worried right now? Does anyone know if all 5 spots for OOS are filled? I have been waiting patiently since my Interview on December 7th and its been super nerve-racking :(

When I interviewed on 1/12, Betty said 3/5 of the OOS spots were taken, but was expecting one of the 3 to match at a different school. I don’t believe OOS applicants were part of the Match on Friday, so I’m assuming 2-3 spots are still open.

When I interviewed on 1/12, Betty said 3/5 of the OOS spots were taken, but was expecting one of the 3 to match at a different school. I don’t believe OOS applicants were part of the Match on Friday, so I’m assuming 2-3 spots are still open.
So basically theres a chance I could still get in? When do they contact OOS Students?

So basically theres a chance I could still get in? When do they contact OOS Students?
There is always a chance until orientation. But OOS is done via rolling admission. I think they'll be sending the waitlist soon. However, during my interview I remember Betty saying that all OOS spots were filled but she does believe that the students will drop if they get another school. So I'm hoping it's you!

Have you sent a letter of intent yet? I would highly recommend that and make sure to say that this school is your top and why it is

Last edited:
Few days late but also did not match. Hella bummed and just wanting to crawl into a hole for a few days as this was my top choice. Hoping for Baylor and TCU to come through with lots of attractive offers so we see a ton of waitlist movement. Not too hopeful but the big gal has yet to sing. Anxiously waiting word to see if I even made the waitlist at this point. Good luck everyone, hoping we get to live out our dreams soon! :)

Reactions: 7 users
Few days late but also did not match. Hella bummed and just wanting to crawl into a hole for a few days as this was my top choice. Hoping for Baylor and TCU to come through with lots of attractive offers so we see a ton of waitlist movement. Not too hopeful but the big gal has yet to sing. Anxiously waiting word to see if I even made the waitlist at this point. Good luck everyone, hoping we get to live out our dreams soon! :)

I interviewed on the last interview day and Betty said nearly everyone gets waitlisted if they weren’t prematched. They have only rejected 6 ppl post-interview in their 3 years. She also said they interviewed a total of 375 students this cycle, including my group, and that we all have a “good” chance of being admitted there if we don’t match into another school. She said they usually admit 50 students, but can take up to 70 this year! So, she’s unsure what the final number will be. I also did not match to a school, so I am hoping all of the Baylor and the other Top 20’s hopefuls are accepted soon, so we can see some movement throughout Texas.

I interviewed on the last interview day and Betty said nearly everyone gets waitlisted if they weren’t prematched. They have only rejected 6 ppl post-interview in their 3 years. She also said they interviewed a total of 375 students this cycle, including my group, and that we all have a “good” chance of being admitted there if we don’t match into another school. She said they usually admit 50 students, but can take up to 70 this year! So, she’s unsure what the final number will be. I also did not match to a school, so I am hoping all of the Baylor and the other Top 20’s hopefuls are accepted soon, so we can see some movement throughout Texas.
Wait did she really say that they might accept up to 70? Do you know if the match only included 50? Huh, she didn't bring that up in our interview ( I remember her saying that they might expand the class size for future years but not for this one) and I was in the second to last. This gives me hope though

Wait did she really say that they might accept up to 70? Do you know if the match only included 50? Huh, she didn't bring that up in our interview ( I remember her saying that they might expand the class size for future years but not for this one) and I was in the second to last. This gives me hope though

Yeah, she brought it up a couple times. She said they have the resources for it now.

If they do that, do you think they'd take 1-2 more OOS given the 10% rule?

Not sure. They need a minimum of 90% IS students, so they could leave it at 5 OOS and fill the rest with IS if they do 70. It would be awesome if they accepted more OOS tho. It would be awesome if they actually admit 70 this cycle.

There is always a chance until orientation. But OOS is done via rolling admission. I think they'll be sending the waitlist soon. However, during my interview I remember Betty saying that all OOS spots were filled but she does believe that the students will drop if they get another school. So I'm hoping it's you!

Have you sent a letter of intent yet? I would highly recommend that and make sure to say that this school is your top and why it is
I have not sent a letter of Intent, I was waiting for notice of either acceptance of waitlist and then I was going to send it. Should I sent it now anyways??

I have sent a letter of interest; i was waiting for notice of waitlisted, accepted or rejected, to send a letter of intent. Should I send one now anyways?
I'm not sure :/ . I was going to send mine once I received an official notice (which should be within the next few days/weeks), but I don't know if they send the notice to OOS applicants the same time they do IS applicants

However if I do receive the notice about the waitlist, I will post it on here to let you know

Does anyone have any updates?

I don’t think we’re likely to hear anything till later in the month/beginning of next. First SDN WL offers for the last 2 app cycles were 3/27/17 and 3/19/18. Id love to be wrong though, lol.

Reactions: 3 users
I don’t think we’re likely to hear anything till later in the month/beginning of next. First SDN WL offers for the last 2 app cycles were 3/27/17 and 3/19/18. Id love to be wrong though, lol.
Yeah :/ But has anyone received a confirmation of being on the Waitlist?

I HAVE NOT, and i am an OOS applicant, and This was my top choice school. At this point, I feel like giving up. I feel like I have been rejected, and I have not heard anything from the school since my interview on Dec 7

Nope! I interviewed December 7th, sent in my letter on intent and haven’t heard a word. I’m anxious, disappointed, and disheartened. Not quite sure what to think

Nope! I interviewed December 7th, sent in my letter on intent and haven’t heard a word. I’m anxious, disappointed, and disheartened. Not quite sure what to think
Interviewed back in September and I'm going through waves of anxiety and numbness/acceptance. Just trying to focus on putting that energy into potentially reapplying or any other activity I enjoy.

I HAVE NOT, and i am an OOS applicant, and This was my top choice school. At this point, I feel like giving up. I feel like I have been rejected, and I have not heard anything from the school since my interview on Dec 7

Any reason why this is your top choice school? Do you have other acceptances?

Interviewed back in September and I'm going through waves of anxiety and numbness/acceptance. Just trying to focus on putting that energy into potentially reapplying or any other activity I enjoy.
Are you an OOS?

Any reason why this is your top choice school? Do you have other acceptances?
Many reasons, I love the school first and foremost, its 'newness', plus I have a lot of family in the area which would provide a lot of support during school

Many reasons, I love the school first and foremost, its 'newness', plus I have a lot of family in the area which would provide a lot of support during school

Good. My son interviewed there as well on Dec 14th, OOS, still waiting to hear!

I talked to admissions, they informed me that there will be no waitlist email sent out this cycle. Instead updates will be posted on TDMSAS and if you are accepted you shall receive an offer via email.

Now next question: Does anyone know where we would look in TMDSAS for any updates? .....lol

I talked to admissions, they informed me that there will be no waitlist email sent out this cycle. Instead updates will be posted on TDMSAS and if you are accepted you shall receive an offer via email.

Now next question: Does anyone know where we would look in TMDSAS for any updates? .....lol
Well that's a darn good question! or the person who answered the phone doesn't know how stuff works on the TMDSAS portal?

Well that's a darn good question! or the person who answered the phone doesn't know how stuff works on the TMDSAS portal?
The person I spoke to was the admission officer, they had to transfer my call. I would call again but I don't want to annoy them :/

Was anyone else told something different?

Do you know if they anticipate any WL movement this cycle? And if their class size is actually 70?

Lurker checking in. Gave up my spot from here yesterday for an OOS school. IS here. Can’t speak to the class size but should be at least one spot for movement. Disappointed the school isn’t being more transparent and deciding to not even send out waitlist emails to those waiting. Hope this at least gives all of you waiting a glimmer of light during this long process. I’ve been there - rare 4th cycler. Stay the course fellow Texans and see y’all on the residency trail!

Reactions: 7 users