2019-2020 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everyone on this thread has probably gone through what you are going through. I got in my third try! Reaching this mountain of a goal is not easy and it will test you in every possible way. When you do get it, and you will, don’t EVER forget how you are feeling right now. It’s because of these moments that you will appreciate every single day of your medical training!
Yes you’re right. I guess it’ll make the day when it comes all the more sweet. CONGRATS ON GETTING IN THAT IS HUGE!!!! Wishing you success and happiness : )

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was too afraid to check my TMDSAS portal today, but got an email from Betty that I matched here! It feels like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 5 users
Didn’t match again

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Second Time applying here. Didnt match either

Hey future med students!! Current M1 at a Texas med school here. If you want to know more about medical school schedules, study strategies, etc, check out/ follow @prescriptiontoplan on Instagram! I'm posting our daily class schedules, study schedules, etc. on there and that should give y'all a really good idea of our lives as med students. If you have any more questions/ want to see specific things about our lives, DM @prescriptiontoplan on Instagram and I'll respond through there. Good luck with the rest of application season!
are you marketing something? not usually appropriate to spam all the threads with the same message :thinking:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
If we matched, how do we "accept" the offer? Will there be a email in the future? Or do we simply have to attend orientation? Is there deadline? (may 15 as per TMDSAS' website?) One of my friends got matched to Lubbock and his deadline to accept is Feb 17th.

If we matched, how do we "accept" the offer? Will there be a email in the future? Or do we simply have to attend orientation? Is there deadline? (may 15 as per TMDSAS' website?) One of my friends got matched to Lubbock and his deadline to accept is Feb 17th.
email UTRGV admissions to get this answered

Does anyone know when the waitlist email will be sent out? It seems as if most other schools have sent them already

Does anyone know when the waitlist email will be sent out? It seems as if most other schools have sent them already

Last cycle, they didn’t send us an email. Many of us just called and asked. The cycle prior to that, they supposedly sent the email in March. There’s no telling what they’ll do this year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

• Haha
So only 12% of their class is not from the RGV area?
That presentation of those summary data is, in my opinion, confusing. But approximately 47% did come from the RGV, with the remaining 53% from outside the RGV. The percentages given for 3 of the 4 counties that make up the RGV -- Cameron, Hidalgo, Starr, and Willacy. -- are expressed in terms of the entire sample and should sum to approximately 47%. That is, 27% of the class came from Hidalgo County, 14% came from Cameron County, and 6% [n=3?] came from elsewhere in the RGV, perhaps Starr County [?] if the empty green box is any indication.

I am having trouble finding this year's Facebook group. Anyone who pre-matched/matched manage to join the UTRGV fb group yet? Would love to start looking for housing and for a roommate

Members don't see this ad :)
I am having trouble finding this year's Facebook group. Anyone who pre-matched/matched manage to join the UTRGV fb group yet? Would love to start looking for housing and for a roommate
Living costs in the RGV are really low, so unless you really want a roommate you can afford to live on your own. I recommend using a realtor to show you what’s available and focusing on North McAllen which will be a little nicer and less full of college students than Edinburg

What is UTRGV's grading system for medical students? Pass/fail, Pass/fail/honors/high honors or Letter grades? Given the new change of Step 1 from a number score to pass/fail, I am curious to know if the school's curriculum resembles the board tests. I am sure many pre-meds are now thinking about how to distinguish themselves for more competitive residencies.

What is UTRGV's grading system for medical students? Pass/fail, Pass/fail/honors/high honors or Letter grades? Given the new change of Step 1 from a number score to pass/fail, I am curious to know if the school's curriculum resembles the board tests. I am sure many pre-meds are now thinking about how to distinguish themselves for more competitive residencies.
P/F for pre clinicals; Pass/fail/honors/high honors for clinicals

There are 3 i've found:

UTRGV SOM Students
UTRGV School of Medicine Students
and UTRGV SOM Class of 2024

Accepted students check your emails because I got an email to set up my UTRGV Outlook account!

I attended a "State of the School" event at UTRGV SOM last week.
There wasn't a lot of new information to be learned.
Dr. Krouse, the dean, mostly talked about the various research projects going on and some new donations and grants, some substantial.
The inaugural class, which will graduate in May, was about 33% from the RGV (living in or originally from the RGV).
The incoming class EY 2020 will be closer to 50% from RGV.

There will be scholarship assistance to all RGV-native med students, 50% of tuition.
This "puts the money where their mouth is", that they want doctors who would be happy staying in this region to practice. For those too fresh to know this idiom, I will translate it to "walk the walk, not just talk the talk".

A new 38 million dollar donation from the Valley Baptist Foundation will fund "Project Thrive".
A new 7 million dollar grant will fund a behavioral health contract with Brownsville Independent School District, for psychiatric services for students, albeit via "telemedicine".

Last of all, the LCME site visit to evaluate UTRGV SOM's progress towards accreditation has already taken place. Dr. Krouse said that the full report with comments on what areas need improvement will not be out until June 2020. He is "guardedly optimistic."

Just spoke to admissions, they stated that emails regarding outlook setup are being sent out in batches within the next couple of days.

Did any one get this email:

“Our records indicate that you have not submitted a contingency form. In order to keep your seat at UTRGV SOM please submit your contingency form by Wednesday, March 11, 2020. Attached is the contingency form please save as

Full name_TMDSAS ID_ contingency form”

I never recieved an email prior to this telling me to submit a contingency form. Did anyone receive one? Am I just not on their email list?

Did any one get this email:

“Our records indicate that you have not submitted a contingency form. In order to keep your seat at UTRGV SOM please submit your contingency form by Wednesday, March 11, 2020. Attached is the contingency form please save as

Full name_TMDSAS ID_ contingency form”

I never recieved an email prior to this telling me to submit a contingency form. Did anyone receive one? Am I just not on their email list?
I received the contingency form in October. They sent some to those who prematched.

Does anyone know how to complete the background check? Did any of you guys get a link?

Giving up the acceptance here, hopefully a very deserving candidate can make it in. Good Luck to everyone.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know where we can see the match list for the inaugural class?

Any Out of state students withdraw their acceptance?

Any news on the waitlist here? Been waiting for to hear some movement for a while now . . . . . . .

Any news on the waitlist here? Been waiting for to hear some movement for a while now . . . . . . .
Waitlist movement will only happen when students with a UTRGV acceptance get an offer they prefer from another school, leaving a spot open at UTRGV. Since none of the other schools are acting yet, it is stagnant. I expect some action by the end of April.

Waitlist movement will only happen when students with a UTRGV acceptance get an offer they prefer from another school, leaving a spot open at UTRGV. Since none of the other schools are acting yet, it is stagnant. I expect some action by the end of April.

Do you think movement is stagnant this year because of COVID-19? It looks like there was some waitlist movement earlier on from last year’s cycle.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. :)

the class of 2024 FB group already has 49 members (not including admins)...do you guys think they've already filled up their class this much? getting nervous that they wont have nearly as much waitlist movement as they previously said
It’s not a good barometer of whether the class is full, because there will be some upperclassmen and group mods on there.
There’s been little WL action in TX so far but late April & May will show us some.

It’s not a good barometer of whether the class is full, because there will be some upperclassmen and group mods on there.
There’s been little WL action in TX so far but late April & May will show us some.
Do you know how many OOSers they will accept/ have accepted thus far?

I heard someone got off the waitlist yesterday, hopefully there is some more movement soon

Thanks for letting us know. Did you hear this from admissions? Do you know if this student was OOS or ISS
No prob. It was a friend of my friend who got in. She’s in state and goes to my uni

i got off the waitlist today!!! received a call around 3. Im IS and had just sent a letter of interest yesterday.

So if you're waiting i'd say send a letter of interest/intent for sure.

Also the contingency form they send is not binding right? I'm still waiting on the waitlist for a few other texas schools. Thanks.

Reactions: 6 users
i got off the waitlist today!!! received a call around 3. Im IS and had just sent a letter of interest yesterday.

So if you're waiting i'd say send a letter of interest/intent for sure.

Also the contingency form they send is not binding right? I'm still waiting on the waitlist for a few other texas schools. Thanks.
It’s non binding. However, if you sent the letter of interest or intent and got off the wait list it was likely interpreted, that during the wait list movement period, you are genuinely wanting and committed to go to UTRGV.

Thank you for your reply!!

I sent a letter of interest. And I have no other acceptances, so unless something happens, I am committed to and very excited to start at UTRGV.

For those who got accepted off the WL, did you guys receive an email earlier saying you were on their WL? I haven't heard anything from the school since I didn't match with them. Wondering if I just got outright rejected or if everyone is just placed on the WL.

For those who got accepted off the WL, did you guys receive an email earlier saying you were on their WL? I haven't heard anything from the school since I didn't match with them. Wondering if I just got outright rejected or if everyone is just placed on the WL.
I didn’t receive an email either ( I think some did but I interviewed on the last date and she said no one from my date did) but I called Mayra Martinez and she explained that unless you got an outright rejection, everyone who interviewed and didn’t match was waitlisted