2018-2019 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you know if they anticipate any WL movement this cycle? And if their class size is actually 70?
size still at 54-55 from what I heard last week.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Lurker checking in. Gave up my spot from here yesterday for an OOS school. IS here. Can’t speak to the class size but should be at least one spot for movement. Disappointed the school isn’t being more transparent and deciding to not even send out waitlist emails to those waiting. Hope this at least gives all of you waiting a glimmer of light during this long process. I’ve been there - rare 4th cycler. Stay the course fellow Texans and see y’all on the residency trail!

Congrats on the multiple acceptances! We really appreciate you updating us by posting here! I wish you lots of luck on your new chapter in life.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS here again. I called admissions yesterday, and I asked if there were any updates. They did NOT say anything about NOT sending a waitlist notification. They said when it is your turn on the list, they will call you for (acceptance, waitlist, or rejection). I am kinda frustrated on the lack of communication here. When Betty said she would be calling on the 21st of December (I interviewed on DEC 7), my family stood with me as I kept my phone nearby...I know these things take time, but updates would be welcomed! It doesnt just affect me, but my family too, who are eager to hear good news. As it is now approaching March, I am still hopeful for good news. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MANY OOS HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED??

I dont know what to do, should I start studying for MCAT again, and look for a job?? What are ya'll doing?

OOS here again. I called admissions yesterday, and I asked if there were any updates. They did NOT say anything about NOT sending a waitlist notification. They said when it is your turn on the list, they will call you for (acceptance, waitlist, or rejection). I am kinda frustrated on the lack of communication here. When Betty said she would be calling on the 21st of December (I interviewed on DEC 7), my family stood with me as I kept my phone nearby...I know these things take time, but updates would be welcomed! It doesnt just affect me, but my family too, who are eager to hear good news. As it is now approaching March, I am still hopeful for good news. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MANY OOS HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED??

I dont know what to do, should I start studying for MCAT again, and look for a job?? What are ya'll doing?

If it makes you feel any better, I am also an OOS who interviewed on Dec. 14 and was told I would receive a call the following week and have still yet to hear anything back. I am in the exact same boat of MCAT/job/basically life dilemma while I just sit and wait to ear back from anywhere.

If it makes you feel any better, I am also an OOS who interviewed on Dec. 14 and was told I would receive a call the following week and have still yet to hear anything back. I am in the exact same boat of MCAT/job/basically life dilemma while I just sit and wait to ear back from anywhere.
I feel that, the waiting is so agonizing especially without any other offers. Just gotta hang in there I guess. Do you know how many OUT OF STATERS they have accepted or are planning to accept?

I feel that, the waiting is so agonizing especially without any other offers. Just gotta hang in there I guess. Do you know how many OUT OF STATERS they have accepted or are planning to accept?
As we have said before, the # of OOS will be at most 5 or 6. They have not published their numbers yet and will not be doing so until closer to the matriculation date.

Having been wait-listed in the past as a non-trad and again this year, I see it as a "soft" rejection. I'd rather focus my efforts on raising my MCAT score and improving my application for the next cycle with the goal of attaining pre-match or match offers. If they call me off the waitlist then great.. if they don't that's fine too because I'll be working towards having more opportunities open up for me next cycle. I would rather attend a school that really wants me to be there and is also a good fit for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I have a very similar outlook as Elkewlbeanz. This is my third cycle with no acceptances, and if I could give any advice it would be to prepare for the possibility of not getting an acceptance. Start studying for your MCAT, get a job as a scribe, start shadowing, try to find research opportunities, etc. If I could re-do anything from my previous cycles it would be to stop procrastinating on other opportunities while waiting out for that possible waitlist acceptance. Get started on bulking up your application, it can't hurt! I've already applied for a Master's program which I will start in May if I haven't heard any news by then. Good luck to everyone and congrats to those who have gotten their acceptances! We are all in this together!

Reactions: 6 users
To those who sent an update after match - did you guys receive a response?

This silence is deafening.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if there has been any waitlist movement, or any updates at all (even for acceptees). Does anyone have any news?

I know they opened a biomedical research building......maybe that's what they've been occupied with?

I wonder if there has been any waitlist movement, or any updates at all (even for acceptees). Does anyone have any news?

I know they opened a biomedical research building......maybe that's what they've been occupied with?
Nothing on my end, I had to call to find out I was waitlisted, but since then, I havent heard anything about any waitlist movement :( Still hoping to get in:/

Nothing on my end, I had to call to find out I was waitlisted, but since then, I havent heard anything about any waitlist movement :( Still hoping to get in:/
What did they say about the waitlist? Did everyone who didn't match get waitlisted? I haven't heard anything from them since my interview.

What did they say about the waitlist? Did everyone who didn't match get waitlisted? I haven't heard anything from them since my interview.

They told us at the last interview date (1/12) that we were all going to be waitlisted as they had already prematched their entire class. They also said they only rejected like less than 5 ppl post-interview, everyone was was matched or waitlisted. So, based on that, I’m going to say we are waitlisted.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know when financial aid packages will go out?

In case anyone is interested, a current student informed me that the class of 2023 currently has 25 students from the RGV which is the highest in the school's history.

In case anyone is interested, a current student informed me that the class of 2023 currently has 25 students from the RGV which is the highest in the school's history.
Do you know if there has been any waitlist movement, or will it start to move later in April/May

I heard the same from Dean Krouse at a recent UTRGV medical community meeting.

This may be the reason for the slow/lack of waitlist movement? Since there is a higher percentage of students from the valley they are less willing to drop their spots?

Do you know if there has been any waitlist movement, or will it start to move later in April/May
I'm assuming it will begin moving late April at the earliest with an influx mid may. There hasn't been significant waitlist movement at any school yet (except for a trickle here and there).

I didn't receive any info about the waitlist or its movement. I'm sure the new "traffic rules" are playing a role here. I'm curious to know how many of the 25 RGV students are from Cameron county. From the data they've got available, very few (~ 5 seats) are from Cameron county or other counties within the RGV. On another note, is anyone attending the Pre-Med Conference at UTMB this Saturday?

I didn't receive any info about the waitlist or its movement. I'm sure the new "traffic rules" are playing a role here. I'm curious to know how many of the 25 RGV students are from Cameron county. From the data they've got available, very few (~ 5 seats) are from Cameron county or other counties within the RGV. On another note, is anyone attending the Pre-Med Conference at UTMB this Saturday?
Is there any way to know what position you are in the waitlist?

Is there any way to know what position you are in the waitlist?
I don't know of any school that reveals waitlist positions. As mentioned in prior posts, many do this to maintain the diversity of the class. There is a document that rosegold4562 shared that is available online that provides some insight as to how the process works. In short, someone at the bottom of the waitlist is just as viable as someone at the top depending on the student who left for another school.

Has any one on the waitlist had recent contact with the school? I emailed them a question a month ago and have still yet to receive a response.

Has any one on the waitlist had recent contact with the school? I emailed them a question a month ago and have still yet to receive a response.
The school seems to be slow to reply. I messaged them about a different issue, and they were slow to respond. I’d recommend calling them directly for any questions.

Did you go? How was it?
I went. The people at school and outside of school (bars/restaurants) are friendly and easy to talk to. The school is making a huge effort to support students through additional STEP 1 prep and giving them career resources. If you don’t get in off the waitlist, apply again next year. The school is on its come up and it would be worth it IMO

Reactions: 3 users
Did you go? How was it?
I crashed the Saturday night get-together and thought the mariachis were a little loud. :) But seriously, the folks at the school really want the applicants ranked highly by the AdCom to come to the UTRGV SOM [just rebranded: UT Health RGV SOM]. This, of course, means the applicants in the "top" 50+, but also, when/if any of those drop out, applicants from their Waitlist tier "A." The impression I get is that these applicants were *not* ranked in this way simply because they had the next highest GPA/MCAT combos, though -- I'm told a fair number of them don't. AdCom members say they liked what they saw when they read the applications, watched the videos, and met the applicants during the interviews. They say they were looking for, and saw, a "fit" to the UTRGV SOM, and I believe them.

So, the punchline of my diatribe above is: If you get an offer, please know they are not just asking a warm body with the next highest MCAT. They're asking you.

Reactions: 4 users
I crashed the Saturday night get-together and thought the mariachis were a little loud. :) But seriously, the folks at the school really want the applicants ranked highly by the AdCom to come to the UTRGV SOM [just rebranded: UT Health RGV SOM]. This, of course, means the applicants in the "top" 50+, but also, when/if any of those drop out, applicants from their Waitlist tier "A." The impression I get is that these applicants were *not* ranked in this way simply because they had the next highest GPA/MCAT combos, though -- I'm told a fair number of them don't. AdCom members say they liked what they saw when they read the applications, watched the videos, and met the applicants during the interviews. They say they were looking for, and saw, a "fit" to the UTRGV SOM, and I believe them.

So, the punchline of my diatribe above is: If you get an offer, please know they are not just asking a warm body with the next highest MCAT. They're asking you.

Same with me, sent an email a month ago never heard a response. It's taking everything that I have to not call and ask them if waitlist movement has started yet

We got this, hopefully we will hear good news soon enough

UTRGV SOM just posted this on their facebook page

"Earlier this month we hosted our Welcome Back event, welcoming 47 prospective students for the Class of 2023!"

Possible meaning that three spots are open :unsure:?

"Earlier this month we hosted our Welcome Back event, welcoming 47 prospective students for the Class of 2023!"

54 were in their class last year so lets be optimistic and say 7, not 3, lol. This year seems odd because there were at least 3-4 WL posts in the last couple of cycles by this time. I wonder if WL has actually happened but those folks just aren't on SDN. Really hoping this April 30th thing isn't as anticlimactic as Y2K.

54 were in their class last year so lets be optimistic and say 7, not 3, lol. This year seems odd because there were at least 3-4 WL posts in the last couple of cycles by this time. I wonder if WL has actually happened but those folks just aren't on SDN. Really hoping this April 30th thing isn't as anticlimactic as Y2K.
This was a "second-look" type event and I think the reason they said 47 "prospective" students is that they know things are still in flux and some may eventually choose a different school.

I don't think that is the case :/ If waitlist movement is happening and it's going to non SDNers, I'm thinking that it might just be one or two spots. There is hardly any waitlist movements at any school so I don't think it's just a UTRGV thing. But that could also just be my wishful thinking. Either way, feeling the same about April 30th.

I think they also said 47 cause some of us couldn’t go

Praying to hear something good for tomorrow:)

Reactions: 3 users