2015-2016 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please use this space to write an essay in which you discuss your interest in Yale School of Medicine. Please limit your response to 500 words.

M.D. Ph.D Statement
Write a statement (approximately 500 words) concerning:

• Your reasons for wishing to undertake the combined MD/PhD program, rather than the MD program alone.
  • The specific PhD program that you propose to follow at Yale.
  • The strengths and weaknesses of your preparation for graduate study in your proposed PhD field.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'll forgive Yale for Bush. My ultimate stretch school.

Reactions: 5 users
Good luck, @Rainbow Zebra!

I just popped in because I am super excited that I get to be an M1 here in the fall!:soexcited:

Any questions about the application process can be sent my way. Anything related to the nuances of the student life or New Haven should probably go to the rising M2s (or M3s-M5s).

Best wishes to all of you for this application season, and especially with your application to Yale. :xf:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck, @Rainbow Zebra!

I just popped in because I am super excited that I get to be an M1 here in the fall!:soexcited:

Any questions about the application process can be sent my way. Anything related the nuances of the student life or New Haven should probably go to the rising M2s (or M3s-M5s).

Best wishes to all of you for this application season, and especially with your application to Yale. :xf:

It seems like Yale has a huge number of people staying 5 years (compared to other schools). Why do you think this is?

I know there are great opportunities (e.g., research, gets a masters during that 5th year) but it seems like Yale in particular has more people doing it than the typical school (correct me if I'm wrong).

It seems like Yale has a huge number of people staying 5 years (compared to other schools). Why do you think this is?

I know there are great opportunities (e.g., research, gets a masters during that 5th year) but it seems like Yale in particular has more people doing it than the typical school (correct me if I'm wrong).

Hi, @justadream. I'm probably far from the best person to answer this - perhaps @FriendlyFH or @Finches might weigh in?

Yale promotes the tuition-free fifth year quite heavily. Other schools will of course give you the option to take a fifth year to pursue a Master's or full-time research, but perhaps that option is less formally publicized than at Yale. I also think the 5th year option is an important component of the Yale System's emphasis on research, scholarship, flexibility, and independence. Students with these same values tend to come to Yale, and perhaps also tend to take 5th years. Additionally, maybe students see the 5th year as a way to distinguish themselves on residency applications since the Yale system is so relaxed and because ~70% of students honor in each clerkship (yay!).

I do wonder, however, if the fifth year option will start to become less popular now that the 1.5 year preclinical curriculum is starting, and students will have an extra 6 months to pack in research and electives within the four year curriculum.

Reactions: 3 users
Am applying this summer & will be at Yale in summertime doing research as well!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hmmm I don't think my stats are up to par, at least as far as MCAT score goes -- 32. However, I do embody a self-directed work ethic and have loads of research and private biotechnology work experience (probably 8000-9000 hours total).

Maybe I should apply? Massive reach definitely...

rsrs, are you a student at Yale?

Another incoming M1 doing the START@Yale program over the summer. Just thought that I'd throw my hat in the ring, although it seems like everyone's questions will be well attended to this year!

I'm apply just for the experience to say I applied. My stats aren't laughable 3.95/35.
Good Luck!

For the MS1's, did you focus the secondary essay on a few aspects of Yale that really interested you? I'm thinking of focusing on a few aspects that really interest me...yet there are so many points I'd like to address!

Members don't see this ad :)
For the MS1's, did you focus the secondary essay on a few aspects of Yale that really interested you? I'm thinking of focusing on a few aspects that really interest me...yet there are so many points I'd like to address!
Incoming MS1 here, I would say pick a couple but don't recite a list of characteristics you've researched from the website. Think about how you would personally thrive in a system with no competition and a huge degree of freedom and responsibility. You should definitely demonstrate how you are a good fit with the Yale System curriculum.

Reactions: 1 user
Incoming MS1 here, I would say pick a couple but don't recite a list of characteristics you've researched from the website. Think about how you would personally thrive in a system with no competition and a huge degree of freedom and responsibility. You should definitely demonstrate how you are a good fit with the Yale System curriculum.
Awesome, thanks! The Yale system is one of the primary attractions for me so I will focus on that and maybe throw in a few other characteristics.

I understand where your question come from. Compare to other schools, Yale has a very open ending secondary which makes it hard to decide upon the scope and topic. You should of course write passionately on topics that you like, while keeping in mind that it's probably more productive to focus on convincing "fit". Of course, there is no way to truly know what it's like and what really makes someone fit with such a peculiar school without actually attending. To write something that's convincing and genuine will take some good research and reflection. In the end you'll have to do this "fitness" consideration anyway when you have to make the choice of schools in the spring. It's hard to imagine that for now, but for many of you, the struggle of picking one school over many amazing choices will be a real struggle.

There are a lot of good angles to talk and to think about "fit", here are a few towards which that I am a little bit partial:
1. What do you value in your relation to other people around you.
2. The interplay between science and medicine
3. (As @Willy38 has emphasized) The Yale system.*

*Not everyone is a believer, it's okay to feel it's "odd", but you should really spend sometime to think about whether or not one should learn how to become one's own master in the process of learning, to develop effective studying strategy when there is no external pressure, to meet one's own bench mark when there is no push from ranking. For me (and probably for most people who chose Yale for Yale system), the answers to the above question are all definite yes, but others who might need more structure, which is perfectly fine, would answer differently.

Has anybody received the secondary application? I have not and it's been well over one week. I was waiting to see if it would be sent out on July 1, but I haven't received it.

Hmmm I don't think my stats are up to par, at least as far as MCAT score goes -- 32. However, I do embody a self-directed work ethic and have loads of research and private biotechnology work experience (probably 8000-9000 hours total).

Maybe I should apply? Massive reach definitely...

rsrs, are you a student at Yale?

A 32 on MCATs can definitely get you an interview if you have really great qualifications otherwise.

Does anyone know how strict they are with 8 hours of biology with lab? They don't take AP credits. I have one bio with lab. And second higher level bio without lab. I have a lot of upper level chemistry lab since I'm a chem major

Did anyone receive secondaries yet

Does anyone know how strict they are with 8 hours of biology with lab? They don't take AP credits. I have one bio with lab. And second higher level bio without lab. I have a lot of upper level chemistry lab since I'm a chem major
The two bio courses don't have to be intro bio. Higher level bio course works just fine as substitutes for lecture credit hours.

Sigh, another secondary added to my list. I prewrote this one before, but now that I have done others, I'm starting over again.
haha, same, I realized my first one wasn't the best.

Question for any May MCATers: does the secondary have your MCAT marked as received yet? Mine doesn't.

In case anyone didn't read the FAQ (http://medicine.yale.edu/education/admissions/apply/faq.aspx). Found info not stated in the secondary instructions.

How should I indicate my most significant activities, achievements and distinctions?

In this section of the Supplemental Application, please provide a synopsis of your activities, achievements, and distinctions, including those that might have occurred after you submitted your AMCAS application. You do not need to repeat the "Experience Description" passages from your AMCAS application. Instead, we are looking for a bullet-point list that will provide a "snapshot" of your activities, achievements, and distinctions. You are welcome to include as many (or all) of your AMCAS experiences as you wish and they should be listed in order of significance - most important to least important.

Reactions: 3 users
Nope, everyone gets a secondary (per MSAR).

^Ah! Should have looked through MSAR before asking that question. Thanks anyways, and good luck all

Would one of you mind posting the questions for this year? Still not verified... Thanks! :)

Would one of you mind posting the questions for this year? Still not verified... Thanks! :)
should be just “Explain your interest in YSM” as it was in all previous years

Has anyone looked at their letter of rec status? Mine says not yet received which is weird ...

Has anyone looked at their letter of rec status? Mine says not yet received which is weird ...
If it's like most schools that status is updated manually. Since it is the weekend it will likely not be updated until Monday at the soonest!

Do they publish their cutoffs for who receives a secondary? I can't find them.

@Rainbow Zebra, @panda16 My bad! I originally read the post above as "NOT everyone gets a secondary". Thanks!
It is actually quite an easy secondary compared to other schools, just why Yale? Was tempted to say, because it is Yale, but did get in a few more details.
Keeping expectations pretty low, as I'm from a no name state school, with a claim to fame for football and basketball.

Reactions: 1 users
Keeping expectations pretty low, as I'm from a no name state school, with a claim to fame for football and basketball.

Chin up, @rainbowzebra and all the other state school kids. There are plenty of us who graduated from Ivy League or other similarly ranked colleges, but I feel like YSM does a better job than some of the other top medical schools of selecting applicants from a broad range of undergraduate institutions. I myself graduated from an unranked private school that no one's ever heard of, and I have met quite a few from state schools.