2016-2017 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else have a Texas site that's affected by the governor's announcement of a hiring freeze? APPIC just sent an email with guidance on ranking these.

Sent from my XT1080 using SDN mobile

I am currently an intern at a Texas site. We are trying to figure out what to do. Like the email said, remember to rank based upon preference. If the sites have to withdraw (by feb 6th) it won't affect applicants insofar as you will be match with your next site based upon the alogorithm

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all, just wanted to express some congratulations to being done with this agonizing--now just to sit back and wait till the 17th!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, just wanted to express some congratulations to being done with this agonizing--now just to sit back and wait till the 17th!
Good luck everyone!!! Remember that the internship deficit has made enormous strides in the past few years and we're likely in pretty good shape. Also, last year 90% of applicants matched to one of their top 4 sites!

MATCH RESULTS BY RANK NUMBER ON APPLICANT'S LIST
(PERCENTAGES MAY NOT TOTAL TO 100 DUE TO ROUNDING ERRORS)
Rank
Number of Applicants

50%

22%

12%

6%

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else feeling super relieved?? I can finally focus on other things (aka my life).

Reactions: 1 users
75282484.jpg

0bb76e7e64886943032731baf901b80343e7700bd930120b7f0a88b5b6fb51dd.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-2_19-22-4.jpeg
    upload_2017-2-2_19-22-4.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: 6 users
Also, did anyone do thank you gifts for friends who hosted them during interviews? If so, what did you do/how much did you spend?

Also, did anyone do thank you gifts for friends who hosted them during interviews? If so, what did you do/how much did you spend?
I took people out to breakfast or dinner while I was there. If that hadn't been possible, I would have bought a small snack or flowers and mailed it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IMG_1791.GIF

Good luck everyone!! Only teo more long days...

Wishing the best of luck to all waiting for a match result tomorrow morning! Knowing that I will likely be unable to sleep, I officially begin my countdown now. :banana:

I just realized I don't know the answer to this question: Does The Email come from APPI, or the internship site itself? I want to know what to be on the look out for...

From APPI I believe.
Yeah pretty sure it's from APPI with a phone call from the training director sometime from 11am to 1pm. Also my for folks that might not know this, according to our DCT, the APPIC email often hits MUCH earlier than 10:00am, as in 7:30-8:30ish.

Sent from my XT1080 using SDN mobile

I thought the email comes from NMS.

It is from NMS. It's very short, since it's not like you care about anything more than the words "Congrats" and the name of your site. Mine came around 6:40 central last year. Best of luck to all of you, it's an emotional day regardless.

Just hours now! I assume the notification also includes to which track we've matched?

Brb, gonna practice my best maladaptive coping strategies.

I am already preparing for the worst. That is my coping strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Random thought: Am I the only one who imagines Greg Keilin and his team in a command center (NASA style) sending emails and coordinating this hectic process?

Stats look promising overall. Per those numbers, there are now enough accredited spots for nearly 81% of applicants. And there are enough total internship spots for 98% of applicants. I can particularly appreciate that while the number of registered applicants slightly decreased relative to last year, the number of accredited spots increased by >6%.

Edit: The 34% increase in accredited spots since 2012 is pretty impressive.

Reactions: 4 users
I cannot believe someone submitted 52 applications. That is crazy and must have been insanely expensive.

I panicked and submitted 46. Cost me over $2k. Applied for two 0-APR credit cards. Gonna be paying it off for the next year. But it paid off for me and I got a site I am very happy with and it is in line with my career goals.

Matched to my 2nd rank, I am pumped.
Those who did not match, I was in your shoes last year this time. Hang in there. There's Phase II, and if it doesn't happen, you will be a much stronger candidate next year. I certainly was.

I panicked and submitted 46. Cost me over $2k. Applied for two 0-APR credit cards. Gonna be paying it off for the next year. But it paid off for me and I got a site I am very happy with and it is in line with my career goals.

I am glad to hear you matched somewhere that is a good fit. Submitting that many applications must have been a daunting task!

I am glad to hear you matched somewhere that is a good fit. Submitting that many applications must have been a daunting task!

Yes, writing 46 personalized cover letters was very tedious as I had to "study" each site and read all of their brochures. I ended up getting 20 interviews and it was very crazy hectic and expensive. In the end, I spent over $5k (that I did not have) on application fees and travel expenses. If I could do it again, I WOULD NOT apply to that many sites. I highly discourage anyone from doing that. I admit I completely freaked out at the prospect of not matching and went nuts with applications. Then when the invites started rolling in, I said yes to everyone and did everything I could to make it work. In the end it did work out for me but it was very stressful and expensive. I ended up ranking 18 sites and got #5 so that goes to show I interviewed at a lot of places that I didn't need to. I think if you have 5-10 interviews, you have a high chance of matching. Don't go crazy like me.

On the bright side, I racked up lottss of mileage points .

I'm so glad this process is over and I feel really grateful to have matched to my #2, but I'd also echo the sentiments of many of you in that I overdid it. I applied to 16, and was offered 12 interviews (accepted every interview invitation offered), if I did it again I'd apply to 12-13 and save some money/time/stress. This board has been such a good support throughout this process.

Congratulations to all who matched and best wishes to those participating in phase 2! There are many open positions at fantastic accredited sites!

Reactions: 2 users
In regard to applications and interviews: I think it really depends on the type of program. I applied to programs that typically only had one spot available for what I wanted to do. I applied to 16 and only got three interviews. I'm so glad I applied to as many as I did.

I just wanted to say congratulations to everyone that matched and good luck to those moving on to Phase II. Interestingly enough I matched at the 1st site I received an interview offer for, which was my #1 choice. This board has provided a wealth of information, thank you to all that contributed.

In regard to applications and interviews: I think it really depends on the type of program. I applied to programs that typically only had one spot available for what I wanted to do. I applied to 16 and only got three interviews. I'm so glad I applied to as many as I did.
That's a great point. My sites typically had 2 to 5 openings for what I hoped to do with 3 openings being most common.

For those of you applying to Phase II sites, I wanted to put in a plug for Creighton University in Omaha, NE. They are an APA accredited site at a private, Jesuit university. They have 1 spot left after Phase I. I put in two years there as a practicum student and have absolutely loved my experience. The staff is wonderful, supportive, and kind. I can't say enough positive things about them! If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to message me.

Anyone else here match to the West Haven VA? Super excited and curious to see if any of my internship cohort is on here!

Site name: Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital at Stanford and the Children’s Health Council.
-Invite or rejection: invite
-Date notified: 11-18
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): mass email
-Interview date: 1/6, 1/11, 1/12, 1/18
Hi, how was your interview experience like? I'm applying there this year too.

Yes, writing 46 personalized cover letters was very tedious as I had to "study" each site and read all of their brochures. I ended up getting 20 interviews and it was very crazy hectic and expensive. In the end, I spent over $5k (that I did not have) on application fees and travel expenses. If I could do it again, I WOULD NOT apply to that many sites. I highly discourage anyone from doing that. I admit I completely freaked out at the prospect of not matching and went nuts with applications. Then when the invites started rolling in, I said yes to everyone and did everything I could to make it work. In the end it did work out for me but it was very stressful and expensive. I ended up ranking 18 sites and got #5 so that goes to show I interviewed at a lot of places that I didn't need to. I think if you have 5-10 interviews, you have a high chance of matching. Don't go crazy like me.

On the bright side, I racked up lottss of mileage points .

Sent from my iPhone using
Your username and this post. :rofl:
I hope it's ok to laugh as I am similarly afflicted.