2016-2017 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi im not sure but i've heard some folks from Feb interview have got admitted already. Did you go to the same interview as well? By the way, did the school say anything about when they would release their decisions in applicant days?

They said it takes about two months before they send out admission letters, so less than a month sounds incredibly fast. Considering I went to the January Applicant Day, this is not comforting news for me lol

When's your interview? They only finalize the cohort in June/July iirc so still plenty of time! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi im not sure but i've heard some folks from Feb interview have got admitted already. Did you go to the same interview as well? By the way, did the school say anything about when they would release their decisions in applicant days?
Feb Durham or Feb Singapore? Admissions office says 2-5 month for decision time. As far as I know, Feb interviews are all in Singapore (see picture). One is for PhD only, and the other one is for both MD and PhD. Keep in mind the processing procedure for North America Applicant Day candidates could take much longer because the committee have to report evaluation results internationally. BTW I am cautiously optimistic that there is still seat left and you still have a pretty good chance of getting in. They dovoted a lot time and energy for Applicant Day preparation. And I feel like they wouldn't send you the interview invitation in the first place if there wasn't any seat left.

Attachments

• IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 179
Feb Durham or Feb Singapore? Admissions office says 2-5 month for decision time. As far as I know, Feb interviews are all in Singapore (see picture). One is for PhD only, and the other one is for both MD and PhD. Keep in mind the processing procedure for North America Applicant Day candidates could take much longer because the committee have to report evaluation results internationally. BTW I am cautiously optimistic that there is still seat left and you still have a pretty good chance of getting in. They dovoted a lot time and energy for Applicant Day preparation. And I feel like they wouldn't send you the interview invitation in the first place if there wasn't any seat left.
They said it takes about two months before they send out admission letters, so less than a month sounds incredibly fast. Considering I went to the January Applicant Day, this is not comforting news for me lol

When's your interview? They only finalize the cohort in June/July iirc so still plenty of time! :)

I got my interview in march. Yes I mean some guys from Feb interview in SG. A student in dukenus even told me that she got her offer a week after the interview but I guessed her app was extraordinarily strong. Seeing from last year's post, they seemed to finalize all decision letters after 3 weeks of the last applicant day?

Did they set up a Facebook group or google group for admitted students this year? ..

The last round of interview is in mid march, so probably we'll get the final notice in late march/ early April?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. When I emailed the admission office, it told me it has sent out some rejections so no news is good news haha

Originally I thought they wouldn't process the rejections until all interviews are over but that's not the case

I got my interview in march. Yes I mean some guys from Feb interview in SG. A student in dukenus even told me that she got her offer a week after the interview but I guessed her app was extraordinarily strong. Seeing from last year's post, they seemed to finalize all decision letters after 3 weeks of the last applicant day?

Did they set up a Facebook group or google group for admitted students this year? ..

The last round of interview is in mid march, so probably we'll get the final notice in late march/ early April?

I agree. When I emailed the admission office, it told me it has sent out some rejections so no news is good news haha

Originally I thought they wouldn't process the rejections until all interviews are over but that's not the case

@Kthz, I heard the same thing last year about rejections being sent out. No news is good news, I guess (though not as good as actual /good/ news! haha). I think sending out rejections is their way of 'trimming' the applicant pool that they roll over and compare with later interviews. But I believe there is also the possibility of an appeal, but you have to prop up your application with new achievements/activities to really stand a chance to be reconsidered.

@lyncc93 I'm not aware of any fb/google group being set up for admitted students but it would probably be a private group? A week after interview is really fast. I guess nothing to do now but wait and check email everyday and suffer a short existential crisis every now and then.

Do you guys have contingency plans if Duke-NUS doesn't pan out?

All the best to all of us!

@Kthz, I heard the same thing last year about rejections being sent out. No news is good news, I guess (though not as good as actual /good/ news! haha). I think sending out rejections is their way of 'trimming' the applicant pool that they roll over and compare with later interviews. But I believe there is also the possibility of an appeal, but you have to prop up your application with new achievements/activities to really stand a chance to be reconsidered.

@lyncc93 I'm not aware of any fb/google group being set up for admitted students but it would probably be a private group? A week after interview is really fast. I guess nothing to do now but wait and check email everyday and suffer a short existential crisis every now and then.

Do you guys have contingency plans if Duke-NUS doesn't pan out?

All the best to all of us!
nope not really into other med schools lol

Me too haha, every notification of new email triggers my anxiety but now I think waiting is the best policy

Anyone here attend the 23/2 phD applicant day? any news?

Comittee met on 8/3/2017 as said during applicant day.
I heard the offers sent out on 9/3/2017.
End of March final rejection will be sent....

Last edited:

I'm assuming this is only for PhD applications? Not MD?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
During MD applicant day they said that they would send out results all the way through July. This is probably for PhD.

Oh, great. Thanks. I'm so strung out from waiting. XD

For Phd only.
Any classmate around for the Phd program? (-:

I think the ones that would post here would be mostly MD-PhD's and MD's since it's a student doctor forum :)

During MD applicant day they said that they would send out results all the way through July. This is probably for PhD.

For Phd only.
Any classmate around for the Phd program? (-:

Never knew that reading a few forum posts could feel like riding a roller coaster... :nailbiting:

Chin up to all of us who are still waiting to hear back. :clap:

Reactions: 1 user
anyone got accepted already?
I guess no reply = no news yet for those who frequent the forum. :) Considering the deadline extension and the GAMSAT inclusion, the waiting time might be a little different than from previous years. Good luck to both of us! :)

Maybe it's better to call the school directly.. seems they've sent out the last batch of acceptance yesterday

Accepted yesterday along with most people I met from Applicant Day. Dec Applicant Day, Durham.

I received my acceptance yesterday as well. I was in Singapore for my Applicant Day back in Jan. Not sure about the other folks in my batch tho. It might be better to call them up directly to check if they're still issuing acceptances. Good luck to all!

Last edited:
Anyone knows if how they send out their acceptance/rejection letters?

Anyone knows if how they send out their acceptance/rejection letters?

It should be via email. The physical letter would probably arrive later.

I got waitlisted so this means that the waitlist should be out as well.

Congrats to those of you who got accepted!! Please keep us updated with insider info (e.g., number of spots left)!! ^^

Any international students who applied to a few medical schools here? :)

Congrats to those of you who got accepted!! Please keep us updated with insider info (e.g., number of spots left)!! ^^
Does anyone know how long the waitlist is? Are all who are not accepted placed on the waitlist? Or are there rejection letters sent out currently?

Does anyone know how long the waitlist is? Are all who are not accepted placed on the waitlist? Or are there rejection letters sent out currently?
Not able to answer your first two questions but based on past years' posts, they do actively send out rejection letters. I think at this juncture, no news is still good news!

Can you please kindly tell us why you said that?
First, the country's residency training system is poorly built and students become lab rats for the school to test its MD system and present their 'proud' result. Of course they filter away bad things happened in the school, see last year's duke-nus thread and you will know what i said. Of course in every med school there are dropouts, but i havent heard another med school kick out a student because he had issues with some faculty member.

The bond also sucks. Of course the school says the bond helps you to secure a job after graduation. But for international graduates, think about the living expenses. The country charges extra dollars on foreigners in terms of housing, healthcare, etc. If you are thinking about going to somewhere else after the bond period, basically you need to start over again. If you are thinking about becoming a citizen, personally I wouldn't wish my child to grow in a place where there is a gun over the freedom of speech and assembly. The two-year national service should also be a concern.

The school purported its signature teamlead pedagogy. However, you will only get bored very quickly if you are not very very very interested in arguing things with others. You can't choose your teammates at the very beginning. You couldn't change them too, if they are unsupportive free riders.

First, the country's residency training system is poorly built and students become lab rats for the school to test its MD system and present their 'proud' result. Of course they filter away bad things happened in the school, see last year's duke-nus thread and you will know what i said. Of course in every med school there are dropouts, but i havent heard another med school kick out a student because he had issues with some faculty member.

The bond also sucks. Of course the school says the bond helps you to secure a job after graduation. But for international graduates, think about the living expenses. The country charges extra dollars on foreigners in terms of housing, healthcare, etc. If you are thinking about going to somewhere else after the bond period, basically you need to start over again. If you are thinking about becoming a citizen, personally I wouldn't wish my child to grow in a place where there is a gun over the freedom of speech and assembly. The two-year national service should also be a concern.

The school purported its signature teamlead pedagogy. However, you will only get bored very quickly if you are not very very very interested in arguing things with others. You can't choose your teammates at the very beginning. You couldn't change them too, if they are unsupportive free riders.

any other points for consideration?

any other points for consideration?
Are you admitted?

check out last year's post and see what happened inside.

You may also want to know how you compete with local MBBS students for postgraduate/specialty training positions.

See when you are supposed to take your Step 1 and whether your curriculum allows time for your full preparation. Even some faculty admitted that with such fast-paced MS1 curriculum, students tend to forget a lot of things when the semester ends.

Surprise that no one has responded to the above comment.

Perhaps,you can give some e.g. of how the country's residency training system is poorly run?

I wouldn't outwardly say that students become lab rats for the school. The school aims to produce clinician scientist to improve the practice of medicine,in which the other medical schools haven't leverage on.It prepares students for the clinician scientist pathway.

5 years bond for international students,is worthy of consideration for any student looking to practise at home soil.Duke NUS medical school is targeted towards the treatment of Singapore patients,so it might require a bit of adjustment when you return home as well.

I think what you mentioned about living expenses is a little too extreme.The main issues of concern are mainly luxury goods,purchasing a permanent accommodation such as flat and transport such as car.

For those looking to stay/migrate here,it is true there is lesser freedom here and mandatory national service,but do take into account the peace and security in the country.I do say,it's a trade-off.

The reason why TeamLead came to place,has relevance to the future working world when everyone become physicians. Do you get to choose who you work with when you work? Do you get to hop around? The answer to this,is a big yes,but that also goes to show how inflexible you are. In life,you don't always get what you want and medical school is supposed to be the training grounds for the working world.There's always going to be politics around and you have to deal with that. It is also through such challenges,that one grow stronger and more tolerant,instead of running away and hiding.

I am a local student,looking towards graduate entry medicine,but I have reservations for the MD programme in Duke NUS.I believe this will be better points of consideration.

1.Curriculum
The curriculum is one-of-a-kind.You have 1 year of clinical science,2 years of clinical practice and 1 year of research.

Do you want to be a clinician scientist?
I ask myself this question a lot.The programme is not for those who abhor research and are going for pure clinical specialties or for those who are 50-50 undecided on clinical specialties.

The curriculum is shaped such that the research yr affects the entire curriculum.

Because of your research yr,you have 1yr less of clinical science,which means you have a face-paced MS1 curriculum. It is a pressurizing first yr in exchange for research.

Another interesting thing to note,is the research yr being in MS3 instead of MS2. You prepare for clinical clerkships in MS2 and move on to research in MS3 and then advanced clinical clerkships in MS4. Usually, clerkships are combined so that one is able to tap onto the knowledge they learnt in the basic clerkship to apply what they learnt in the advanced clerkship.In essence,advanced clerkship is meant to be the pre-housemanship/internship yr. In this case,the clerkships are separate due to the research yr.

2.Culture
I have spoken to a fair share of my seniors,current students in Duke-NUS.

The pressure in Duke-NUS is intense.Medical school is tough,but the late-night studying culture is typical for locals here.We have to work harder for our grades since primary school to university. This applies a lot to MS1,especially since there's a lot of studying involved,due to the multiple quizzes and asssessments.

Every student is competent and there will be many opportunities for you to doubt your capacity during your studies in Duke-NUS.Like I mentioned above,you will come out mentally stronger and more prepared for future challenges.However,this is definitely not for the faint-hearted or those who are looking to chill each night with a bit of breathing space.

3.Community
Where do you want to work?

If you intend to migrate here,medical school is a good pathway towards settling down. If you have second doubts or are looking to keep your options open,I will strictly not recommend you towards this route. The social bonds you foster in your 5 yrs bond might hold you back towards Sg,so might want to bear that in mind.It is also difficult to attain citizenship over here,definitely a lot of red-tape over here.Will spare the details for now.

Doing medical school in the US definitely saves the trouble of the bond and you get to stay at home to pursue your interests.I am basing this on the average GPA of 3.61 and MCAT of 511,that prospective applicants who secured an offer in Duke NUS,will be able to secure medical schools back in the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

I think the school does actively send out Rejs. I am waitlisted too. You two also waitlisted?

Waiting finger crossed;)

I think the school does actively send out Rejs. I am waitlisted too. You two also waitlisted?

Waiting finger crossed;)

Was waitlisted. Just received my offer yesterday!

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting! It's an extremely horrible stage but please stay hopeful! Considering the timeline of the US schools and their waitlists, I would expect greater waitlist movement around mid-May. (Of course, this is just my speculation so pinch of salt please!)

Perhaps,you can give some e.g. of how the country's residency training system is poorly run?

I wouldn't outwardly say that students become lab rats for the school. The school aims to produce clinician scientist to improve the practice of medicine,in which the other medical schools haven't leverage on.It prepares students for the clinician scientist pathway.

5 years bond for international students,is worthy of consideration for any student looking to practise at home soil.Duke NUS medical school is targeted towards the treatment of Singapore patients,so it might require a bit of adjustment when you return home as well.

I think what you mentioned about living expenses is a little too extreme.The main issues of concern are mainly luxury goods,purchasing a permanent accommodation such as flat and transport such as car.

For those looking to stay/migrate here,it is true there is lesser freedom here and mandatory national service,but do take into account the peace and security in the country.I do say,it's a trade-off.

The reason why TeamLead came to place,has relevance to the future working world when everyone become physicians. Do you get to choose who you work with when you work? Do you get to hop around? The answer to this,is a big yes,but that also goes to show how inflexible you are. In life,you don't always get what you want and medical school is supposed to be the training grounds for the working world.There's always going to be politics around and you have to deal with that. It is also through such challenges,that one grow stronger and more tolerant,instead of running away and hiding.

I am a local student,looking towards graduate entry medicine,but I have reservations for the MD programme in Duke NUS.I believe this will be better points of consideration.

1.Curriculum
The curriculum is one-of-a-kind.You have 1 year of clinical science,2 years of clinical practice and 1 year of research.

I ask myself this question a lot.The programme is not for those who abhor research and are going for pure clinical specialties or for those who are 50-50 undecided on clinical specialties.

The curriculum is shaped such that the research yr affects the entire curriculum.

Because of your research yr,you have 1yr less of clinical science,which means you have a face-paced MS1 curriculum. It is a pressurizing first yr in exchange for research.

Another interesting thing to note,is the research yr being in MS3 instead of MS2. You prepare for clinical clerkships in MS2 and move on to research in MS3 and then advanced clinical clerkships in MS4. Usually, clerkships are combined so that one is able to tap onto the knowledge they learnt in the basic clerkship to apply what they learnt in the advanced clerkship.In essence,advanced clerkship is meant to be the pre-housemanship/internship yr. In this case,the clerkships are separate due to the research yr.

2.Culture

The pressure in Duke-NUS is intense.Medical school is tough,but the late-night studying culture is typical for locals here.We have to work harder for our grades since primary school to university. This applies a lot to MS1,especially since there's a lot of studying involved,due to the multiple quizzes and asssessments.

Every student is competent and there will be many opportunities for you to doubt your capacity during your studies in Duke-NUS.Like I mentioned above,you will come out mentally stronger and more prepared for future challenges.However,this is definitely not for the faint-hearted or those who are looking to chill each night with a bit of breathing space.

3.Community

If you intend to migrate here,medical school is a good pathway towards settling down. If you have second doubts or are looking to keep your options open,I will strictly not recommend you towards this route. The social bonds you foster in your 5 yrs bond might hold you back towards Sg,so might want to bear that in mind.It is also difficult to attain citizenship over here,definitely a lot of red-tape over here.Will spare the details for now.

Doing medical school in the US definitely saves the trouble of the bond and you get to stay at home to pursue your interests.I am basing this on the average GPA of 3.61 and MCAT of 511,that prospective applicants who secured an offer in Duke NUS,will be able to secure medical schools back in the US.

Hi, i think you made very valid points of consideration for admission to Duke NUS. but if you are a local student, where else will you consider?

1.Curriculum

2.Culture

3.Community

Agree. the admission staff clearly said the school is for producing doctors who serve the country. So it comes with the tuition subsidy as well as the bond.

the bond or curriculum themselves cannot be simple labelled as good or bad. it's all about fit or unfit. If you come, you get a large tuition cut, and you should know you are gonna stay to serve local patients (at least for five yrs;)).

Last edited:
Hi, i think you made very valid points of consideration for admission to Duke NUS. but if you are a local student, where else will you consider?

I am considering medical schools abroad,in Australia and Ireland. Amongst the points I raised,culture stood out to me the most. I can't envision seeing myself in the same institution,after graduation.Mainly due to being sicked of the "grind" in college here,but partly because I wanted to explore medical education overseas.Going back to the Alma Mater seems pretty boring and going to a new country to experience what it's like there,is going to be interesting.Just like many of you guys,coming from the US to Duke-NUS. I am just taking the reverse but similar route. :)

Agree. the admission staff clearly said the school is for producing doctors who serve the country. So it comes with the tuition subsidy as well as the bond.

the bond or curriculum themselves cannot be simple labelled as good or bad. it's all about fit or unfit. If you come, you get a large tuition cut, and you should know you are gonna stay to serve local patients (at least for five yrs;)).

This sums up the gist of what I was delving into.Know what you are getting into,before coming.

Has anyone here heard anything from the school? Did any of the gamsat applicants get invited for an applicant day?

I just got my rejection letter : (. My mcat score wasn't good enough and it didn't help that I applied so late in the cycle.

Is anyone else reapplying amd also retaking MCAT this year?

Hi guys! :) Looking to connect with friends who have gotten accepted before school starts! Can you drop me a PM? :) thank you so much! Look forward to meeting you!

Are you admitted?

check out last year's post and see what happened inside.

You may also want to know how you compete with local MBBS students for postgraduate/specialty training positions.

See when you are supposed to take your Step 1 and whether your curriculum allows time for your full preparation. Even some faculty admitted that with such fast-paced MS1 curriculum, students tend to forget a lot of things when the semester ends.
"DUKENUSSUCKS", how competitive is the situation regarding postgraduate/specialty training? As DukeNUS is newer to SG medical institutions where most of the senior came from NUS and others, will DukeNUS students harder to get posts and support from senior? Sort of being discriminated.
I got offer. Now thinking if I should really start it. I wish to do more research and in interviews, professors said I can enter the labs any time during the four years to follow their research work, that part attracts me. NUS research status is very high worldwide, do DukeNUS students mentored or supervised by NUS professors?

anyone reapplying again and creating a new thread?

waitlisted in april, admitted days before! Sooooo excited!

Btw, does anyone admitted who does not reside in SG plan to rent a house/room?

anyone reapplying again and creating a new thread?
Hi, I'm reapplying! We should probably start a new thread :)

waitlisted in april, admitted days before! Sooooo excited!

Btw, does anyone admitted who does not reside in SG plan to rent a house/room?

Hi, can you share your stats? Just to get a better idea about the competition.

To all the new applicants, please don't be discouraged to apply because of the "horror stories" you read from forums... I'm a current student who happened to click on these old links on a google search and am quite shocked with what I read. There's a selection bias here - those who are doing fine in school (a large majority) don't think of coming back to post on these forms, do they? I'm a good fraction of the way done with med school and I've loved my experience here very much despite the steep learning curve and strict clinical tutors (who are there to make sure you're trained right and ready for the real world), so have many many of my friends. We'd tell you it's tough but it's worth it.

Of course there is always room for improvement - in fact once you're in, one of your complaints will be that the deans are always changing and fine tuning the curriculum, and that's precisely because they are always trying to incorporate our feedback.

Once again, trust in yourselves and please don't be discouraged. It's a challenging but enriching journey. Good luck to you all!![/QUOTE]

Dear @sgmed23 ! Thanks for your comments! I am applying in 2018-2019 cycle, hopefully. May I, please, pose several questions about the application procedure?

Can students from Duke NUS go for a residency in the US? Are there students who do so,who promise to complete the SO after training?
Or can they get a license with the ACGME-I accredition in the US without repeating a residency?Please do reply