2016-2017 Emory University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got that email and don't even have a II. These guys need to get their ish together.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Just received an II! After all the false emails about financial aid this was a happy surprise. Completed late July early august if that still matters, Lizzy of 73, oos.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Got an II yesterday too. LizzyM ~72; there were 2 days available in February.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Complete date?
Congrats!

Thanks! I was complete late August and I didn't have anything worthy to update them about so I didn't send any update letters. I've also been receiving those financial aid letters before my II if any one wants to know.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it too late to update? Or do you guys think there's still interview spots left? Also if updating is the way to go, anyone know the email?

Thanks a bunch :D

II just now!!!! Super excited, pretty much figured I was out for this one!!

Complete 8/14 and I didn't update

Update: Also, they're definitely pulling off from cancellations. So for all you guys waiting, here's to hoping that other people cancel!!

Reactions: 5 users
II just now!!!! Super excited, pretty much figured I was out for this one!!

Complete 8/14 and I didn't update

Update: Also, they're definitely pulling off from cancellations. So for all you guys waiting, here's to hoping that other people cancel!!

how do you know they're pulling from cancellations

does anybody know if we should update emory with transcripts reporting our fall 2016 grades? I already submitted an update on the portal, but I totally forgot whether they mentioned something about sending transcripts on interview day or not...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just accepted this afternoon via phone call! Super excited! Interviewed last week.

Reactions: 4 users
Just accepted this afternoon via phone call! Super excited! Interviewed last week.

and

"Thanks! How have they been sending out acceptances in previous rounds?"

Hm, I'm just throwing out that this seems a bit off to me - at my interview they were extremely, extremely clear that they only send acceptances via snail mail. As in, repeated, it's a point of pride/uniqueness, and clear that they would never tell you anything over the phone to the extreme that if you didn't respond within a few weeks to the mailed acceptance, they would call to check if you'd received anything in the mail but wouldn't confirm or deny whether you were accepted because it was over the phone. Seems strange that you would be called a week after an interview (they also have specified decision dates each month) and not know that they send acceptances by mail. Calling this one false. Which is weird, because I don't understand the motivation.

Reactions: 2 users
and

"Thanks! How have they been sending out acceptances in previous rounds?"

Hm, I'm just throwing out that this seems a bit off to me - at my interview they were extremely, extremely clear that they only send acceptances via snail mail. As in, repeated, it's a point of pride/uniqueness, and clear that they would never tell you anything over the phone to the extreme that if you didn't respond within a few weeks to the mailed acceptance, they would call to check if you'd received anything in the mail but wouldn't confirm or deny whether you were accepted because it was over the phone. Seems strange that you would be called a week after an interview (they also have specified decision dates each month) and not know that they send acceptances by mail. Calling this one false. Which is weird, because I don't understand the motivation.
Hey there! I can guarantee you that what I'm saying is not false. So there's no underlying motivation to have to worry about haha! At my own interview day we were all told the same thing as you about the snail mail and the fact that acceptances aren't given out over the phone. That's why I was so surprised when I was contacted about the acceptance yesterday. I also know about the specified decision dates which once again contributed to my surprise. I only asked about the normal process of giving out acceptances because I was wondering if anyone had a story that was similar to mine. I feel blessed that the turnaround was so quick and continue to wish for the very best for each of you as well.

Hey there! I can guarantee you that what I'm saying is not false. So there's no underlying motivation to have to worry about haha! At my own interview day we were all told the same thing as you about the snail mail and the fact that acceptances aren't given out over the phone. That's why I was so surprised when I was contacted about the acceptance yesterday. I also know about the specified decision dates which once again contributed to my surprise. I only asked about the normal process of giving out acceptances because I was wondering if anyone had a story that was similar to mine. I feel blessed that the turnaround was so quick and continue to wish for the very best for each of you as well.

I'm sorry, but I still don't believe you without some other evidence. What you're saying now about already knowing that acceptances are exclusively and markedly sent by mail only just doesn't line up to your earlier question that said, 'Thanks! How have they been sending out acceptances in previous rounds?'. I spent a minute thinking about a question I could ask to verify that you actually went to an interview, but it doesn't seem to be worth the time/effort because ultimately, this is an anonymous message board on the internet and who cares.

I'm sorry, but I still don't believe you without some other evidence. What you're saying now about already knowing that acceptances are exclusively and markedly sent by mail only just doesn't line up to your earlier question that said, 'Thanks! How have they been sending out acceptances in previous rounds?'. I spent a minute thinking about a question I could ask to verify that you actually went to an interview, but it doesn't seem to be worth the time/effort because ultimately, this is an anonymous message board on the internet and who cares.
It's ok. If I were in your shoes I might not even believe me either haha since this is so different from what we were told on interview day. But yes, I did interview and receive an acceptance. Just like you I wouldn't be able to understand it if someone made up being accepted. You can PM if you'd like. Either way I'm hoping that everything works out well for you and everyone else on here.

Anyone know the range of interview dates considered for this Monday's decision date? All December dates? January dates as well? I don't have a handle on Emory's timeline.

Letters in the mail followed by portal update the following Tuesday. Guess they really liked you!!!!

So, by following Tuesday do you mean tomorrow (1/31), the day after letters are mailed, or next week's Tuesday?

No I interviewed regular MD. I first received a text message from the office of Dr. Robert Lee, the dean of admissions and when I called him back he told me the news. I've uploaded a screen shot of the text. The capital A is the beginning of ASAP. I didn't take a screenshot of the whole thing because it includes my name. Hopefully the image actually loads.

A text? Do you have some sort of connection to the dean maybe? Either way, that's pretty cool. Congrats.

Since I think you're the only person who got a text, I'd recommend deleting your post to protect anonymity

Anyone know when you should hope to receive a letter if you were accepted today?

A text? Do you have some sort of connection to the dean maybe? Either way, that's pretty cool. Congrats.

Since I think you're the only person who got a text, I'd recommend deleting your post to protect anonymity

Thanks! I had the pleasure of meeting him on my interview day. And yep that was the plan. Just wanted to clarify things first for anyone who had questions.

How did you find out you were accepted if you didn't get a letter yet?

I think they are talking purely hypothetically. To clarify, they were probably asking "if one was accepted, when would one expect the letter to arrive by?"

I think it probably depends on how far away from Atlanta you live/if you live near a post office hub.

Take this with a handful of salt, but I think accepted students will see a change in their portal tomorrow around noon.

Take this with a handful of salt, but I think accepted students will see a change in their portal tomorrow around noon.
That makes a bit of sense though, because everyone's previous letters says portals should update by noon, but I've realized with med schools...they enjoy torturous uncertainty

It just says 'Admission Offer'

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 2.27.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 2.27.25 PM.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 397
Reactions: 1 users