-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Harvard Medical School Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
B
BadNewsBears2016
Are they done giving out IIs? Seems like last year they stopped around this time
Somebody LITERALLY just got an II 3 hours ago...
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sorry, wasn't following this thread. You didn't need to be so rude..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
B
BadNewsBears2016
Sorry, wasn't following this thread. You didn't need to be so rude..
Not rude. We're all on edge waiting! Let's help each other out and be diligent!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Does anyone know if Harvard will send rejections for interview invitations? Thanks!
Bump
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
For what it's worth, there were 5 dates available at the mid/end of January when I received my II today.
Now, three hours later, when actually scheduling my interview (and figuring out these damn flights), there are only two dates available at the end of Jan. However, their portal/scheduling says that they only release a few dates at a time, so I have no idea how far into Feb. they're interviewing.
Now, three hours later, when actually scheduling my interview (and figuring out these damn flights), there are only two dates available at the end of Jan. However, their portal/scheduling says that they only release a few dates at a time, so I have no idea how far into Feb. they're interviewing.
Afaik, they just do rejections at the end of the cycle.
B
BadNewsBears2016
It's fairly well stated that they only send rejections at the very end of the cycle.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I think they are only interviewing until the end of januaryFor what it's worth, there were 5 dates available at the mid/end of January when I received my II today.
Now, three hours later, when actually scheduling my interview (and figuring out these damn flights), there are only two dates available at the end of Jan. However, their portal/scheduling says that they only release a few dates at a time, so I have no idea how far into Feb. they're interviewing.
Afaik, they just do rejections at the end of the cycle.
Does that mean it's essentially over?For what it's worth, there were 5 dates available at the mid/end of January when I received my II today.
Now, three hours later, when actually scheduling my interview (and figuring out these damn flights), there are only two dates available at the end of Jan. However, their portal/scheduling says that they only release a few dates at a time, so I have no idea how far into Feb. they're interviewing.
Afaik, they just do rejections at the end of the cycle.
Is Harvard receptive to ITA?
nope, they have a standard response to everyoneIs Harvard receptive to ITA?
Yeah, I submitted an update about two weeks ago. It was generic and just contained information about new activities, copy and pasted to a bunch of schools that accept updates. No idea if this made a difference.
Also, for what it's worth, clinical/bench research is definitely the weakest part of my application. So I'm pretty shocked to get an interview here.
Hey, did you just upload your update onto the portal?
Yep. PDF on the portal.Hey, did you just upload your update onto the portal?
F
FireBreathingAstonaut
For those who can access the portal, how many more interview days are left?
Calendar disappears after you schedule an interview date, unfortunately. 🙁For those who can access the portal, how many more interview days are left?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does Harvard have a policy on post-interview thank you notes? If they're appropriate, should we send them to the admissions office for forwarding or directly to our interviewers?
Does Harvard have a policy on post-interview thank you notes? If they're appropriate, should we send them to the admissions office for forwarding or directly to our interviewers?
I sent mine to the admissions office with a request for them to be forwarded to my interviewers. I got a confirmation that they were forwarded the next day!
Does Harvard have a policy on post-interview thank you notes? If they're appropriate, should we send them to the admissions office for forwarding or directly to our interviewers?
I sent mine directly to my interviewers. But they provided their emails at the end of the interview, I didn't look for them.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Is the campus tour during Interview Day optional?
Is the campus tour during Interview Day optional?
Yes. There is one in the morning and one in the afternoon so depending on when your interview is you can choose. It was just me and one other person for the afternoon tour. Everyone else did the morning, and some people couldn't make either time work with their schedule.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone. Sending out some good vibes in what is potentially the tensest of places right now. Wishing you all good luck and a happy new year, as well as the willpower to stay off of here and enjoy time with family this season, haha
What do you mean?So how is the II now?
So how is the II now?
Could be a bit of an odd way of phrasing: "Are there any IIs left to give out? Have people who haven't received an II been silently rejected at this point?" (If that's not what they meant, maybe someone can answer this question as well?)What do you mean?
Does Harvard have a policy on post-interview thank you notes? If they're appropriate, should we send them to the admissions office for forwarding or directly to our interviewers?
I sent mine to Admissions, asking them to be forwarded to the interviewers. Good luck!
Hey guys, does anyone know what the meet and greet before interviews is like and what most people wear?
It's very casual -- there's pizza on the first floor of the dorm you will stay in if you have a student host. I just wore jeans and a sweatshirt and blended in fine with the other applicants and current students. Ours ended up getting combined with the first year class's end-of-semester ugly sweater party so I got to meet a TON of students there!
Thanks!It's very casual -- there's pizza on the first floor of the dorm you will stay in if you have a student host. I just wore jeans and a sweatshirt and blended in fine with the other applicants and current students. Ours ended up getting combined with the first year class's end-of-semester ugly sweater party so I got to meet a TON of students there!
When do the admissions committees meet? I was told that if I had sent an update in last month it would be reviewed but I realize that most school's admissions committees that are non-rolling still review applications on a rolling basis?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For Pathways, after your interview your application is either forwarded on to the final committee or you are placed in the rejected pile. In February, the large committee meets to discuss all the applications that made it to the final committee selection. If you submit an update prior to February 1, your update should be included in your committee discussion (assuming your application was passed on post-interview).When do the admissions committees meet? I was told that if I had sent an update in last month it would be reviewed but I realize that most school's admissions committees that are non-rolling still review applications on a rolling basis?
Ha doesn't it seem like rather than leaving the people placed in the rejected pile hanging until March with everyone else, they could let those people know sooner? Just seems a bit silly that they only have decision release date haha. Nothing about this process makes sense though, so I guess that would be too logical.For Pathways, after your interview your application is either forwarded on to the final committee or you are placed in the rejected pile. In February, the large committee meets to discuss all the applications that made it to the final committee selection. If you submit an update prior to February 1, your update should be included in your committee discussion (assuming your application was passed on post-interview).
For Pathways, after your interview your application is either forwarded on to the final committee or you are placed in the rejected pile. In February, the large committee meets to discuss all the applications that made it to the final committee selection. If you submit an update prior to February 1, your update should be included in your committee discussion (assuming your application was passed on post-interview).
What goes into them deciding who makes it to the final committee? Is it strict?
I'm going off of what my interviewer discussed with me at my interview last cycle, he was candid with me but I'm not on the committee so take everything I say with a grain of salt.What goes into them deciding who makes it to the final committee? Is it strict?
They told me that in order to make it to final committee review, both of your interviewers need to agree to pass you along. However, I know people who feel like they absolutely bombed one interview and were still accepted so I don't think their decision to forward your application is made solely on your interview impression.
The final committee meets in February. It consists of 100+ people (all of the interviewers). Your application will be presented and then the committee will vote and decide which pile to place you in: accept, waitlist, or reject. Everyone finds out in early March via email (last year I think it was March 2).
This only applies to Pathways admissions, I am not familiar with the HST admissions process, sorry!
I'm still waiting too 🙁 I read on their website that they will send IIs out until mid-January... so not sure if we've passed that already or if there's still hope!
this is brutal... i kind of want them to stop sending them out so i can stop thinking about it. also, nobody's posted on here about getting an interview in weeks, so I get the feeling that they're only giving out a few interviews sporadically, as opposed to the rounds of interviews they gave out earlier in the cycle. of course, this site isn't representative of all applicants, but stillAccording to a staff member, interviews are still being offered!
this is brutal... i kind of want them to stop sending them out so i can stop thinking about it. also, nobody's posted on here about getting an interview in weeks, so I get the feeling that they're only giving out a few interviews sporadically, as opposed to the rounds of interviews they gave out earlier in the cycle. of course, this site isn't representative of all applicants, but still
But there is still a glimmer of hope 🙂
Tomorrow (1/19) and Friday (1/20) are the last days for Pathways interviews
EDIT:
1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1/23 are the last interview days for Pathways. my bad!
EDIT:
1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1/23 are the last interview days for Pathways. my bad!
Last edited:
Tomorrow (1/19) and Friday (1/20) are the last days for Pathways interviews
Like the last day to receive an interview? Or the last interview date?
Sorry I was slight wrong. The last interviews of the season for Pathways are this Thursday, Friday, Saturday and next Monday (1/23).Like the last day to receive an interview? Or the last interview date?
Those are the last days HMS will have interviewees on campus, I am assuming the invitations to attend those interviews have already been extended to applicants so unless there is a last minute cancellation, it's unlikely there will be any more IIs extended.
Note: this is not applicable to HST.
Sorry I was slight wrong. The last interviews of the season for Pathways are this Thursday, Friday, Saturday and next Monday (1/23).
Those are the last days HMS will have interviewees on campus, I am assuming the invitations to attend those interviews have already been extended to applicants so unless there is a last minute cancellation, it's unlikely there will be any more IIs extended.
Note: this is not applicable to HST.
Oh Okay, thanks for the info! 😀
As someone who is interviewing on the 23rd, you scared me for a minute. 😀Tomorrow (1/19) and Friday (1/20) are the last days for Pathways interviews
EDIT:
1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1/23 are the last interview days for Pathways. my bad!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone heard for HST recently?
Last interview date was 1/10 for HST
So it seems that Harvard does silent rejections... From the previous comments, is it safe to assume that anyone who hasn't gotten an II is "rejected" and will hear that in March?
If you interviewed today and did a morning tour, I think I passed your group on my way in to work 🙂 Hope it went awesome!!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K