You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Harvard Medical School Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Still haven't heard anything yet, is no news good news? 🤔🤔🤔
Still haven't heard anything yet, is no news good news? 🤔🤔🤔
It's more like good news is good news, bad news is bad news, and no news is no news.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha you must have very high expectations! I almost submitted here as a joke....It's a bit disheartening how former students of mine have been interviewing here but no news for me yet 🙁
has anyone sent an "in the area" email and actually gotten a response with an interview invitation?
HMS is listed as receptive to such inquiries, but I kind of imagine they wouldn't be
HMS is listed as receptive to such inquiries, but I kind of imagine they wouldn't be
has anyone sent an "in the area" email and actually gotten a response with an interview invitation?
HMS is listed as receptive to such inquiries, but I kind of imagine they wouldn't be
Nah they just give you the standard response about how they can't expedite the process but will make sure to accommodate you if you do get invited
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
thanksNah they just give you the standard response about how they can't expedite the process but will make sure to accommodate you if you do get invited
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
B
BadNewsBears2016
Does anyone know when HMS stops giving out IIs?
Check last years thread, it's pretty clear (I think it was in Dec/Jan??). However, that may not account for a change this year.
Anyone else in complete silence from Harvard? I was Complete Mid July, Lizzy M 77, very strong extracurricular and all, but I haven't heard anything in 4 months... I've completed most of my interviews already at other top schools, but nothing from Harvard. I am not URM or disadvantaged. Anyone else in the same boat?
It's HarvardAnyone else in complete silence from Harvard? I was Complete Mid July, Lizzy M 77, very strong extracurricular and all, but I haven't heard anything in 4 months... I've completed most of my interviews already at other top schools, but nothing from Harvard. I am not URM or disadvantaged. Anyone else in the same boat?
Anyone else in complete silence from Harvard? I was Complete Mid July, Lizzy M 77, very strong extracurricular and all, but I haven't heard anything in 4 months... I've completed most of my interviews already at other top schools, but nothing from Harvard. I am not URM or disadvantaged. Anyone else in the same boat?
I literally have the opposite problem. LizzyM ~76-77, and Harvard was one of my only two interviews. I hate this waiting.
I literally have the opposite problem. LizzyM ~76-77, and Harvard was one of my only two interviews. I hate this waiting.
This process is so weird.
I wish I had these "problems"I literally have the opposite problem. LizzyM ~76-77, and Harvard was one of my only two interviews. I hate this waiting.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I literally have the opposite problem. LizzyM ~76-77, and Harvard was one of my only two interviews. I hate this waiting.
I would rather be in your situation though 🙂
Yes, but this is Harvard and I am assuming a rejection. Same LizzyMAnyone else in complete silence from Harvard? I was Complete Mid July, Lizzy M 77, very strong extracurricular and all, but I haven't heard anything in 4 months... I've completed most of my interviews already at other top schools, but nothing from Harvard. I am not URM or disadvantaged. Anyone else in the same boat?
Isn't Harvard nonrolling? So they wouldn't reject till the end of the cycle?
Some non-rolling schools still send out pre-II rejections before the end of the cycle, but I think Harvard either silent rejects or rejects all at the end of the cycleIsn't Harvard nonrolling? So they wouldn't reject till the end of the cycle?
Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile
II! Lizzy M 78-80, URM.
II! Lizzy M 78-80, URM.
Congrats!! When were you complete?
Thanks! Complete mid-September.Congrats!! When were you complete?
omgomgomg II.
Complete mid July
Thats awesome!! Congrats! Would you mind sharing what available interview dates there were?
Thats awesome!! Congrats! Would you mind sharing what available interview dates there were?
There was Dec 17, and then a few dates open in mid January. There was one Saturday open, but I can't remember which.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
omgomgomg II.
Complete mid July
Congrats! Did you submit any updates or anything?
Congrats! Did you submit any updates or anything?
Nope, just months of silence. lol
/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted682597
I received my II today. Anyone know the post-II acceptance rate? MSAR shows around 20% of interviewees matriculated, but I'm wondering how many were actually accepted. Thanks.
I received my II today. Anyone know the post-II acceptance rate? MSAR shows around 20% of interviewees matriculated, but I'm wondering how many were actually accepted. Thanks.
My understanding is that it is just over 25%.
B
BadNewsBears2016
I received my II today. Anyone know the post-II acceptance rate? MSAR shows around 20% of interviewees matriculated, but I'm wondering how many were actually accepted. Thanks.
Per US News, 813 interviewed and 225 were accepted.
Congrats! Complete date?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
D
deleted682597
I finished the secondary on 9/27 and all my letters arrived 10/7
D
deleted682597
What hotel did you guys stay in?
B
BadNewsBears2016
Are the percentages the same for pathways and HST?
This information isn't in MSAR or US News.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
D
deleted682597
Does anyone know if HMS accepts community college credit for english? MSAR doesn't say.
They did for me!Does anyone know if HMS accepts community college credit for english? MSAR doesn't say.
D
deleted682597
thanksThey did for me!
F
FireBreathingAstonaut
Are they still sending out II's??
Received an II on 12/8 complete 10/24. Honestly have no idea how they got back to me so fast. I am from a small liberal arts and sciences school and have a friend who also got an interview at Harvard. Anyone know if there's actually some sort of competition since we are from the same school?
This is what my interviewer told me.Received an II on 12/8 complete 10/24. Honestly have no idea how they got back to me so fast. I am from a small liberal arts and sciences school and have a friend who also got an interview at Harvard. Anyone know if there's actually some sort of competition since we are from the same school?
800 get interviews.
About half get past the weekly meetings they have basically saying "good enough to admit" or "decline admissions".
In April those 400 people get sent to an entirely different committee whose job it is to build an amazing class out of those 400. So getting in once you get past the weekly meetings has nothing to do directly with your application. They'll say, for example, we want a chello player, someone who does white water rafting, a 518 MCAT average, 10 engineers, 3 sociology majors, etc, etc (making these numbers and arbitrary activities up). They accept about 180-200. Then if they need to pull from the waitlist, the same thing happens. So if only 8 engineers accept the offer, they'll pull 2 from the waitlist to fit their vision of the class.
Based off this, I would imagine that making sure certain schools are appropriately represented is a factor. There may be some sort of competition, but not in the sense of "who's the better applicant," but "which one best fits our vision for the class." That's assuming both of you kill the interview and make it to that last stage. But who knows, maybe you both have something amazing that the class needs!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
B
BadNewsBears2016
Just got a II today. Complete 9/1. LizzyM ~78. Non-trad.
Congrats, dude!!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
congrats man! nice to see that they're not just looking at october and later at this point...
did you submit an update or anything?
did you submit an update or anything?
Just got a II today. Complete 9/1. LizzyM ~78. Non-trad.
Do they actually review each week? I thought they review in February? Would sending a post II letter be pointless now?
Yeah, I submitted an update about two weeks ago. It was generic and just contained information about new activities, copy and pasted to a bunch of schools that accept updates. No idea if this made a difference.congrats man! nice to see that they're not just looking at october and later at this point...
did you submit an update or anything?
Also, for what it's worth, clinical/bench research is definitely the weakest part of my application. So I'm pretty shocked to get an interview here.
The first committee meets weekly to bi weekly. The second committee meets in February to discuss those that the first committee approves of.Do they actually review each week? I thought they review in February? Would sending a post II letter be pointless now?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K