2016-2017 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is different about interviewing on a Saturday, from those in the past who have had that experience? Is it bad/good that it is a shorter day? Will faculty still be around since it is a weekend?
+1. I have a Saturday interview too!
 
What is different about interviewing on a Saturday, from those in the past who have had that experience? Is it bad/good that it is a shorter day? Will faculty still be around since it is a weekend?
+1. I have a Saturday interview too!

There's no advantage or disadvantage for a Saturday interview from an admissions perspective, you aren't lumped into some separate "Saturday interview" pool or anything like that, just to be clear. Also, to be clear, I did not interview on a Saturday last year, but I have helped out with admissions this year. Students who interviewed on a Saturday last year might be able to provide more insight.

Advantages - more one on one time with students who take you to lunch and give you the tour since they have more free time to spare.
Disadvantages - you can't sit in on or see a class, if you were hoping to talk to some professors they probably won't be around on the weekend (though you shouldn't really need to do this anyway), and the campus and surrounding area is a lot quieter on the weekends than during the week so you might be left with a weird impression of the school.

Other than that, the interview days are all basically the same day to day. Hope that answers your questions 🙂 good luck!
 
1. If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation.
2. If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine.(4000 character maximum)

I am an autistic applicant who has gone through much therapy and nutritional intervention to the point at which nobody can tell and I rather enjoy socializing. Should I mention this here and talk it up as a challenge overcome? Or, would it be a red flag for admissions? My biochem professor said to talk about it but my advisor said not to disclose it. I am unsure.

My LizzyM score is 73.8

515 MCAT and 3.98GPA (4.0 in the sciences).
 
Last edited:
I am an autistic applicant who has gone through much therapy and nutritional intervention to the point at which nobody can tell and I rather enjoy socializing. Should I mention this here and talk it up as a challenge overcome? Or, would it be a red flag for admissions? My biochem professor said to talk about it but my advisor said not to disclose it. I am unsure.

My LizzyM score is 73.8

515 MCAT and 3.98GPA (4.0 in the sciences).
I am just another applicant and certainly not an expert, but that sounds like a great story. I would definitely mention it. I think it makes you sound like a unique individual/applicant who has overcome true adversity. Just my opinion though. Goodluck
 
I was interviewing at another Boston institution and my interviewer, who was an attending at Beth Israel Deaconess and taught at HMS for some years, suggested I also apply to HMS. It wasn't even on my radar because with a LM of 70-75 I thought my stats were too low. Does it make sense to throw out an application before the deadline this month, or is that a waste of my time. I'm a non-trad if that matters.
 
I was interviewing at another Boston institution and my interviewer, who was an attending at Beth Israel Deaconess and taught at HMS for some years, suggested I also apply to HMS. It wasn't even on my radar because with a LM of 70-75 I thought my stats were too low. Does it make sense to throw out an application before the deadline this month, or is that a waste of my time. I'm a non-trad if that matters.
Look two post above. You are definitely not out of the running. Anyone who applies here and gets a II is surprised, lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone describe the atmosphere of the interview and whether it is more laidback/chill/friendly or stressful/very intellectual? I'm really worried the fact that I'm not smart enough for this place is gonna come through 😳

Sooooo chill students are awesome and faculty really wanna get to know you


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Can anyone describe the atmosphere of the interview and whether it is more laidback/chill/friendly or stressful/very intellectual? I'm really worried the fact that I'm not smart enough for this place is gonna come through 😳

Your humility speaks volumes! You're gonna do great! You got the invite, they've got no doubts about your intelligence. Just be the kind and thoughtful person you clearly are. Good luck!


Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
 
Last edited:
does anyone know until when Harvard will keep sending out IIs? Also, is it true that if you applied both pathways and hst that it takes longer to review the app?
 
so what's the consensus? Harvard Med School is over? ya know, tawdry and overdone? a little bored? and flaccid in its convictions?
 
does anyone know until when Harvard will keep sending out IIs? Also, is it true that if you applied both pathways and hst that it takes longer to review the app?
last year it seems like they still offered them into november, based on last year's thread.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dude, congrats on the II at Harvard and Stanford!

I have a question, Can you please tell me how you have time to be an NCAA athlete and publish 8 papers in college?

Sincerely,
A curious pre-med
YES! that's amazing. I am also an NCAA athlete and couldn't imagine 8 publications. What an accomplishment
 
I'd venture to say a bit of good luck and working in a research field where data is relatively easy to get and publish. I'd be floored if those 8 publications were from a biochemistry lab. Working in those kinds of labs feels so stochastic at times and years can go by without ever getting a single publication...
 
I'd venture to say a bit of good luck and working in a research field where data is relatively easy to get and publish. I'd be floored if those 8 publications were from a biochemistry lab. Working in those kinds of labs feels so stochastic at times and years can go by without ever getting a single publication...
Same, I've worked in an organic chemistry lab for three years and have only been able to publish just thiis year
 
Same, I've worked in an organic chemistry lab for three years and have only been able to publish just thiis year
On year two of my organic chemistry lab research, definitely can understand and appreciate the struggle for consistent results.
 
II for HST.....

(LizzyM 81, complete end of October)

Applied for MSTP and HST, but rejected from the MSTP. Not sure if I should go to this interview or not, since I'm really only interested in getting an MD + PhD, although in theory I think would still be able to join a graduate group and get both degrees, just without funding during my med school years (I need to look into this though....). Does anyone have any advice?
 
II for HST.....

(LizzyM 81, complete end of October)

Applied for MSTP and HST, but rejected from the MSTP. Not sure if I should go to this interview or not, since I'm really only interested in getting an MD + PhD, although in theory I think would still be able to join a graduate group and get both degrees, just without funding during my med school years (I need to look into this though....). Does anyone have any advice?

Go unless you already hold an acceptance to an MD PhD program that you'd turn down Harvard for.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Why would you take a spot and waste the interviewers time if you have no intention of going there?

Because I'm assuming that they would go to Harvard MD only if they got into no MD PhD programs. Hence why I said that if they do not have an acceptance already, they should attend. If they already have an acceptance which they would choose over Harvard MD only, I agree, no sense in wasting the ad com's time.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Go unless you already hold an acceptance to an MD PhD program that you'd turn down Harvard for.

Why would you take a spot and waste the interviewers time if you have no intention of going there?

Because I'm assuming that they would go to Harvard MD only if they got into no MD PhD programs. Hence why I said that if they do not have an acceptance already, they should attend. If they already have an acceptance which they would choose over Harvard MD only, I agree, no sense in wasting the ad com's time.

I have interviewed at two other MSTPs but neither of them have rolling admissions, so no acceptances for me yet. Even though Harvard would be MD only, there seems to be opportunities to apply for an MD-PhD internally (without funding) so this could still be a good option for me. If I end up getting accepted into another MSTP I will most likely withdraw my application, however at this point in process (without any acceptances yet) I think it makes sense for me to take advantage of this opportunity, as Harvard is one of my top choices.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I personally would turn down the Harvard MD offer. A friend of mine was in a similar position as you last year who was MSTP. He went and said he didn't want to do HST and that it was a waste of a trip for him and later got into multiple MSTP programs he was much happier with.

If you're set on MSTP you won't be satisfied with an MD.
 
Anyone has luck with getting in touch with student host??? I sent out several emails and no reply so far.
 
Anyone who has interviewed already can comment on the schedule of interview day and how conversational/stressful interviews are?

The interview day was deliberately very low stress. They don't make a point of selling the school to you, because they don't need to, so things are pretty chill for the most part. You'll attend a brief orientation and receive information on your two interviews, which vary widely in times from student to student. Most (but not all) interviewees have one before lunch and one after lunch. My second interview was the most pleasant interview of my life and I felt like this exceptionally nice man gave me the opportunity to represent myself in an extremely positive way and even insisted on talking to me further by walking me out of the building onto the street. It was really nice.