2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got an email on 1/21 with the subject line "URGENT User/Student ID Notification- Open Immediately" which, if I'm remembering right, gave me a link that took me through the process. If you didn't get an email with a link I'm not sure how you'd do it though.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I also received the above mentioned email, but am having trouble logging in to view the message. I didn't have an existing password (to my knowledge), so I reset it and it won't let me log in with the new password. I tried emailing the support email listed, but I am sure that they're busy and I haven't heard a response. Is there anything particular that you had to do to view the message?
 
I also received the above mentioned email, but am having trouble logging in to view the message. I didn't have an existing password (to my knowledge), so I reset it and it won't let me log in with the new password. I tried emailing the support email listed, but I am sure that they're busy and I haven't heard a response. Is there anything particular that you had to do to view the message?

I either missed or ignored the message back when it was sent and so I had to reset my pin because it expires within 60 days. I called and the support desk person was super helpful. He got it all fixed for me, sending anew pin and everything.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I found out yesterday I am waitlist 30-40s. Glad I could finally get updated.... However, the other school I would want to go to starts in July which means I will have to move my stuff across country at the end of June. Looking at waitlist movement it looks like they didn't get to my number until late June early July last year. Honestly this sucks. Anyone have advice about how you plan a trip across the country where everything is cancellation refundable? I am honestly at a loss right now. I want to be able to plan for the future for my family... Looking at how this year has gone for OHSU with the snow delays I am worried that it will take even longer for the waitlist to move.
 
I think thats a pretty valid fear - I think the situation you don't wan to get into would be waiting for OHSU and ending up having to last minute rush to the other place because they haven't got to your # yet. How do the two schools/financials/etc compare? This whole thing makes it so hard for us that have families etc, it's hard to plan anything when you have no idea where you'll end up
 
The other school would be cheaper due to scholarships, however, OHSU is extremely like way way more convenient for my family. I also think the school altogether has a better fit for me. But again like you said don't want to be stranded. Wish this process was cheaper tho.
I think thats a pretty valid fear - I think the situation you don't wan to get into would be waiting for OHSU and ending up having to last minute rush to the other place because they haven't got to your # yet. How do the two schools/financials/etc compare? This whole thing makes it so hard for us that have families etc, it's hard to plan anything when you have no idea where you'll end up
 
The other school would be cheaper due to scholarships, however, OHSU is extremely like way way more convenient for my family. I also think the school altogether has a better fit for me. But again like you said don't want to be stranded. Wish this process was cheaper tho.

The thing I'm finding the most difficult is dealing with housing. I should be looking for places, but I don't want to deal with finding month to month/roommates etc only to not end up going some place. (Where I'm already accepted)

And that sounds like a tough choice. Personally, id set a cutoff day, if I don't know by say mid June, then chose the other school. Because the day class starts there, if you haven't gotten in at OHSU yet, then you HAVE to go. Even if your number is really close, I would think you just can't risk it. Because who knows, maybe you're one spot away and that ends up not changing. Likely, no, but I just wouldn't put myself in that position


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Does this mean they only had 16 slots left to fill?
No sorry (didn't mean to scare anyone!), my portal stated that had accepted thru alternate #16. It is unclear how many spots they have left to fill. Last year they went to around 50 and MSAR says about 50 but you never know.
 
No sorry (didn't mean to scare anyone!), my portal stated that had accepted thru alternate #16. It is unclear how many spots they have left to fill. Last year they went to around 50 and MSAR says about 50 but you never know.

No I get what you're saying! I just wasn't sure if the fact they started at 16 means they only have 16 spots to fill?
 
what number can we call for feedback?
I emailed last week. They replied:
"
Thank you for your inquiry. We will start scheduling formal feedback sessions at the end of May. These sessions will take place in the summer.

Please give us a call at the end of this month, and then we’ll be happy to set up one for you!

503.494.2998

Take care,

-Kimberly Felipe
UME Admissions
OHSU School of Medicine
"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been a long time follower of this thread, but this is my first time posting. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what waitlist movement will be like over the next couple weeks. From the previous years waitlist info posted on here it looks like there is typically one or two waitlist "jumps" in the first few weeks after waitlist publication, after which there seems to be a somewhat steady crawl of 1-2 per week through late July. This all makes pretty good sense to me, given that the first acceptances are given out in bundles, with people typically having a week (?) to take the acceptance or turn it down. At this point, does anyone anticipate that there will be anymore waitlist "jumps", or are we pretty much just down to the 1-2 applicant per week movement that can be seen in previous years?

FYI, I'm curently waitlisted in the upper 40s and trying to get an idea if it's realistic to continue to wait for an acceptance from OHSU. Given that the waitlist only moved from #34-#35 over the past 5 days, I'm leaning toward thinking that we probably wont be seeing any more major waitlist movement, but was wondering if anyone had any other thoughts on this.
 
Honestly, it's pretty much impossible to make any guesses. Other schools have different waitlist movement trends, and as a dominos effect that could influence OHSU waitlists. It's really all over the place, I mean what 6 years ago it was into the hundreds, then its been as low as the thirties. You also have all the ghosted spots. So I think the moral of the story is - there is no way to make any reasonable assumptions at this point. The only thing I would point out is it's currently further along at the current date than in any of the recent years...so take that as you will
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly, it's pretty much impossible to make any guesses. Other schools have different waitlist movement trends, and as a dominos effect that could influence OHSU waitlists. It's really all over the place, I mean what 6 years ago it was into the hundreds, then its been as low as the thirties. You also have all the ghosted spots. So I think the moral of the story is - there is no way to make any reasonable assumptions at this point. The only thing I would point out is it's currently further along at the current date than in any of the recent years...so take that as you will

Gotcha. I guess it's one of those things you can't really anticipate. I was wondering if anyone had any further insight into other factors that would allow people to estimate movement, but I suppose that it just really isn't possible
 
37 now or perhaps updated earlier this morning from Friday or the weekend. Not sure just checked. Happy Monday y'all 🙂
 
Are there any accepted reapplicants here that were waitlisted last year that could tell their stories of their additional gap year? I am currently in the upper 60s of the waitlist but am preparing for next cycle. However I don't know if I should wait out this cycle or go straight into it.
 
Anyone accepted in April heard anything about financial aid? I was, and my acceptance contract and transcripts etc. are all in the portal, as well as my SSN, but still nothing about financial aid...
 
Are there any accepted reapplicants here that were waitlisted last year that could tell their stories of their additional gap year? I am currently in the upper 60s of the waitlist but am preparing for next cycle. However I don't know if I should wait out this cycle or go straight into it.

I was waitlisted last year at different schools but I guess it is a similar situation. I chose to go right into the next cycle. I thought I was playing it safe but I made the right decision because I never got pulled off any of the wailtlists. Turned out in my favor, scoring me more than 3 times the interviews and an early offer at one of my top choices. I highly doubt I would have been given the opportunity if I had submitted in mid-late July. In my opinion, there are few things worse than getting behind in the app process. Think of it like a long term investment. You might waste that time and money starting the next app, but its worth the peace of mind knowing if things don't work out as planned you are prepared. Just my two cents.
 
Oof, feels like this waitlist is just playing a mean joke on us now lol. I know it's only mid-May, but I was enjoying all the movement before this week!
 
Oof, feels like this waitlist is just playing a mean joke on us now lol. I know it's only mid-May, but I was enjoying all the movement before this week!
How much more movement is it reasonable to expect? curious early 50's person asking
 
Last edited:
How much more movement is it reasonable to expect? curious early 50's person asking

I think it's impossible to guess, which is the frustrating part. I mean every year has seen different movement. Sometimes it's fast and then really slows down, sometimes it crawls and then has huge jumps in like June. It feels like it's suddenly crawling, but in reality we still have over 2 months and it could go either way. That's what's so frustrating. It could be 40 people this year or it could be 70, it's just too early to tell. :/
 
I think it's impossible to guess, which is the frustrating part. I mean every year has seen different movement. Sometimes it's fast and then really slows down, sometimes it crawls and then has huge jumps in like June. It feels like it's suddenly crawling, but in reality we still have over 2 months and it could go either way. That's what's so frustrating. It could be 40 people this year or it could be 70, it's just too early to tell. :/
Gotcha that is so frustrating. Cant people 10 spots away call and ask about ghost spots. that would be awesome if someone did!
 
Gotcha that is so frustrating. Cant people 10 spots away call and ask about ghost spots. that would be awesome if someone did!

Lol yeah! PSA to anyone within 10 spots! You could call and ask about empty spots and then let us know on here!! 😛
 
Does any accepted student know anything about the mathematics requirement? My portal says I haven't yet fulfilled it.
 
Lol yeah! PSA to anyone within 10 spots! You could call and ask about empty spots and then let us know on here!! 😛
What exactly would one of these <10 people ask? How would the information be helpful?

Wouldn't they have already factored out people who specifically requested to not be on the wait list?
 
What exactly would one of these <10 people ask? How would the information be helpful?

Wouldn't they have already factored out people who specifically requested to not be on the wait list?

So say you're 10 spots away right now, in spot 47. Maybe you're other option is across the country and you have to decide if you're going to move or wait it out with OHSU. Maybe you have a significant other who will need to find a job across the country and let his current job know he will be quitting. So you want to know your chances of getting in.

If we are at 37 now, we don't know when they wait listed everyone, who withdrew. So say numbers 38,39, 40, 41, and 42 withdrew already, but we don't know that. So if one person withdraws their acceptance, and those people have left the waitlist, those of us watching the portal wouldn't see it got from 37 to 38, we'd see it go from 37 to 43. So the person 10 spots away doesn't know if there are actually 9 people ahead of him or if there are like 4 actual people and 5 ghost spots.

So we can't factor it in because we don't know how many of those waitlist spots are real people and how many are ghost spots because our actual waitlist number never changes.
 
I called earlier today and was told that everyone is holding onto their alternate spots. Not any ghost spots within 10 at this time.
 
That's definitely a bummer that there are no ghost spots within 47 so far, but it's also worth remembering that the wait list has only been out for 2.5 weeks. There's still a couple months for movement to occur. On top of that, it looks like every single year since 2006 they've accepted at least 10 more applicants from where they've been on the waitlist as of May 20th. While this may not mean much to people that are in the 50+ boat, I think that it's "safe" to say that there should be movement of at least 10 more spots (unless this year is a total outlier in terms of waitlist trends).
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad