2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Officially rejected. Going to try again and hopefully join you guys next year. Probably not going to be in state as I'm currently living in a state with more than one medical school and I'll still have Oregon heritage.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Soooo what are the possible fates for those who are still on hold? It seems like the waitlist has gone out to at least #60. That's essentially a rejection based on prior trends, right?
 
Soooo what are the possible fates for those who are still on hold? It seems like the waitlist has gone out to at least #60. That's essentially a rejection based on prior trends, right?

It's gone a bit past that. I am somewhere between 70 and 85.
 
Can anyone confirm that the data on the WL spreadsheet matches with what is on the MSAR waitlist page? My subscription just ran out and don't feel like paying out $28 to see 2 stats. Not asking for the direct #'s, just if the info on the spreadsheet seem to match ( WL made it to 44 on the spreadsheet last year)
 
Can anyone confirm that the data on the WL spreadsheet matches with what is on the MSAR waitlist page? My subscription just ran out and don't feel like paying out $28 to see 2 stats. Not asking for the direct #'s, just if the info on the spreadsheet seem to match ( WL made it to 44 on the spreadsheet last year)

Yes, they're similar to the summary data available on MSAR.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if the number accepted includes 'ghost spots' i.e. those that were given a waitlist spot but never took it? I assume that getting up to 50 applicants off the waitlist means getting to a number higher than that? Or is it up until number 50, but then accepting less than that (because of those few 'ghost spots')?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The more I think about it today, the more I seriously want to go here. I always have, but I pretty much gave up hope. My number very well may be reached, and I'm hoping it's reached sooner than later, in which case I am thinking I'll likely matriculate.

However, I have a life to plan and a fiance to consider. Does any accepted student have access to an academic calendar for 2017 - 2018? I can't seem to find one online and am not sure who I would email to ask for one.
 
The more I think about it today, the more I seriously want to go here. I always have, but I pretty much gave up hope. My number very well may be reached, and I'm hoping it's reached sooner than later, in which case I am thinking I'll likely matriculate.

However, I have a life to plan and a fiance to consider. Does any accepted student have access to an academic calendar for 2017 - 2018? I can't seem to find one online and am not sure who I would email to ask for one.

As much as it pains me to encourage someone ahead of me to stay on the WL, I would think hard before turning it down. Although with a wife as well, some of the big choices I'm making are prolly a step down for me but a step up for our "family"

Does anyone know if the number accepted includes 'ghost spots' i.e. those that were given a waitlist spot but never took it? I assume that getting up to 50 applicants off the waitlist means getting to a number higher than that? Or is it up until number 50, but then accepting less than that (because of those few 'ghost spots')?

I would guess that includes the ghost spots, but don't know for sure.
 
Rejected from OHSU today 🙁. Kind of stung a bit - I'm not sure why I was rejected. It is my first rejection post-interview. I'm a lifelong Oregon resident. I felt solid on my interview. It wouldn't make sense to yield protect after the interview would it?
 
I feel like waiting is basically my second job at this point.

Alternate list between 1-10!

So that's pretty exciting. I'm happy with getting this far! Good luck to everyone in the waiting boat!
 
I am the magical alternate #44. But I have a lease that needs signing in L.A. to attend my other school. But I also want to go home to Oregon. 1st world problems :smack:
 
I am the magical alternate #44. But I have a lease that needs signing in L.A. to attend my other school. But I also want to go home to Oregon. 1st world problems :smack:

Literally, same (I'm #45). Except I am looking at apartments in Chicago, and haven't found a lease to sign, yet. But really, really don't know what to do. I want to go back home to Oregon so bad, but don't know how long I can wait, and my fiance needs to update his job (his current job has an office in Chicago...)

What are you going to do?!
 
Literally, same (I'm #45). Except I am looking at apartments in Chicago, and haven't found a lease to sign, yet. But really, really don't know what to do. I want to go back home to Oregon so bad, but don't know how long I can wait, and my fiance needs to update his job (his current job has an office in Chicago...)

What are you going to do?!

I'm planning to sign the lease. If I get in, I'll try to find a sublet. Assuming that doesn't work out, I'll just go to a medical school with what I believe to be a more considerate and logical approach to admissions :whistle:.
 
I just read that alt list email more closely -- it says "the status of the alternate list will be online by early June."

Does this mean they won't release info regarding waitlist movement until early June??? That sucks. This typically happened early May. I take it, though, that if we are accepted between now and early June, we would still be notified right away? This makes it so much harder to plan! Was planning on gauging waitlist movement through May to make my choice of whether to wait it out or not. Shoot.
 
I just read that alt list email more closely -- it says "the status of the alternate list will be online by early June."

Does this mean they won't release info regarding waitlist movement until early June??? That sucks. This typically happened early May. I take it, though, that if we are accepted between now and early June, we would still be notified right away? This makes it so much harder to plan! Was planning on gauging waitlist movement through May to make my choice of whether to wait it out or not. Shoot.

I expect people on here will update us. If their number is 20, they'll say so and that they just got pulled from the list. So we can follow it that way until June.

Also, I was looking at the movement in previous years and you can't really gauge the movement through May. Sometimes if moves quickly and then just halts at a low number, and vice versa. Which is super frustrating for us in the waitlist boat haha.
 
That's the way I read it too. And I think there is only a couple of us spread out pretty far across the WL, so I wouldn't count on sdn being very representative of where they are. But yeah, sucks it will come out so late


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alternate dual degree no number given and basically the email said they couldn't tell me if I would hear or when, and that the number changes every year. So more waiting with no real answer. Preparing to move across the country at this point.
 
Last edited:
Alternate MD/MPH no number given and basically the email said they couldn't tell me if I would hear or when, and that the number changes every year. So more waiting with no real answer. Preparing to move across the country at this point.

Wow that seems kind of crappy of them... Weird. Sorry you're in that position! :/ I wish the admissions here were different overall here. It's tough that several of us are in the position of waiting until possibly the last minute. And many people aren't able to put their lives on hold for that long.
 
Wow that seems kind of crappy of them... Weird. Sorry you're in that position! :/ I wish the admissions here were different overall here. It's tough that several of us are in the position of waiting until possibly the last minute. And many people aren't able to put their lives on hold for that long.
Thanks! I know I'm trying to figure out things with my family.
 
Last edited:
Were you guys assigned a student ID number at some point? I was asked to login to the student information system to look at the new financial aid requirements, but I don't have a user ID or PIN that I'm aware of, and can't find anything in my email or applicant portal. It's asking me for that info to logon. I can call Monday but I'll love to be able to look at it sooner.
 
So once we know we are in... Does anyone know what the best options are for housing? And finding roommates?

Just trying to plan ahead! Thanks!
 
Were you guys assigned a student ID number at some point? I was asked to login to the student information system to look at the new financial aid requirements, but I don't have a user ID or PIN that I'm aware of, and can't find anything in my email or applicant portal. It's asking me for that info to logon. I can call Monday but I'll love to be able to look at it sooner.

I got an email on 1/21 with the subject line "URGENT User/Student ID Notification- Open Immediately" which, if I'm remembering right, gave me a link that took me through the process. If you didn't get an email with a link I'm not sure how you'd do it though.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
So I'm pretty high on the waitlist (60-80), Just wondering, will those (on the waitlist) that don't make it get an exit interview or any way to find out how to improve their application?
 
So I'm pretty high on the waitlist (60-80), Just wondering, will those (on the waitlist) that don't make it get an exit interview or any way to find out how to improve their application?

Yeah. You call the admissions office and ask to set up a meeting. I think they will even do this for people who aren't even interviewed but they might have changed their policy. Usually they won't start scheduling those until later though and they will tell you when to call back. The first ones are offered sometime after graduation.
 
Last year they told me July - which is ridiculous since the app is already open for so long at the point.

Can we please just have a year where they go through like 100 alternates, tha'd be great. Who do I need to start bribing to take other acceptances


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Last year they told me July - which is ridiculous since the app is already open for so long at the point.

Can we please just have a year where they go through like 100 alternates, tha'd be great. Who do I need to start bribing to take other acceptances


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It has happened. The 2010 entering class was 30s. The 2011 entering class went through 120+. The 2012 entering class was upper 60's. Every year is different.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone on the waitlist get a confirmation email when they replied and said they would like to remain on the waitlist? I want to make sure they received my affirmation so I don't get booted off the waitlist after the May 12th response deadline.
 
Also FYI my portal says they expect waitlist movement to begin mid-May. I assume there won't be any waitlist movement until after the May 12th deadline for waitlist confirmation response.
 
Did anyone on the waitlist get a confirmation email when they replied and said they would like to remain on the waitlist? I want to make sure they received my affirmation so I don't get booted off the waitlist after the May 12th response deadline.

I'm wondering the same thing. I don't want to bother them by emailing them again, but I also want to be very careful. I didn't get a response, but I'd love to hear from a couple more people to make sure that's normal.

UPDATE: I emailed to ask if we should expect a response, and was told no, the spots are secure, but they are getting so many emails they aren't able to email everyone back. It sounds like they don't remove someone from the waitlist unless they specifically say "please remove me from the list."

My guess is that if someone doesn't respond, they still keep their spot on the list, and if they're offered a spot off of the waitlist into the class and still don't respond after some amount of time, then the offer will go to the next number. This makes sense to me, because it would be awful if you missed the email asking for a response about the waitlist and then got booted from it because of missing one email.
 
Last edited:
I'm wondering the same thing. I don't want to bother them by emailing them again, but I also want to be very careful. I didn't get a response, but I'd love to hear from a couple more people to make sure that's normal.


I didn't get a response either!