2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should accepted students be expecting a financial aid packed and/or other information besides the acceptance letter in the mail? I received an email that let me accept the offered loan amounts online, but I haven't received anything in the mail. I did move recently (I updated my contact information through the portal) and there is a real possibility of getting mail delivered to the wrong address or misplaced. Just wanted to make sure that I am not missing anything that needs to be submitted in a timely manner.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sitting here at 44 like:

giphy.gif

(Except I'm not a Nazi)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Portal updated... 45! I also called a few days ago and was told that there is one ghost spot in front of me (I'm #51). And someone else called and was told there was none through 47, so I guess somewhere between 47 and 51 is the ghost spot?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Can anyone PM the admissions office phone #? I'm within 10 and willing to call to inquire about ghost spots
 
Just got an email telling me that I was accepted today! I was #48 on the alternate list--just a reference as to how the list is moving.

Good luck to everyone who is applying or on the WL this year!
 
Waitlist movement pretty much over then? Gotta move to D.C. end of July and a few spots away!

I'm not sure about the wait list movement. I remember in my interview the woman who was running it said that movement really slows down in late-June and July but it's not unfathomable to have some spots filled via the wait list during that time period. She also said that the number they reach on the wait list reaches around 75 per year on average, so if your number is lower than that there is still a good chance that you can get in. I'm attaching a link to OHSU's admissions web page that states the profile of a typical admitted class. Hope that this helps!

Admissions
 
If I remember correctly because I don't have a subscription anymore but I think MSAR said 45 - but there is an excel file in this thread that tracked movement over the last decade or so that has close to the actual numbers


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
^ factually incorrect. They on average make it to the 50's


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No need to be rude or abrupt. I was simply telling EDlover23 what the interview administrator told all of us when we asked her what the average progression of the wait list was. She said, "around 75", and since I also no longer have access to MSAR, I told him what an actual administrator said.

Edit: I was also interested at the high number she told me during my interview so that's why I posted the Admissions link on my previous post. An average class, according to OHSU's webpage, is 153 but they send out 230+ acceptances. This high number of acceptances most likely comes from their wait list, which corroborated her statement of around 75--even though the number obviously fluctuates year to year.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I remember correctly because I don't have a subscription anymore but I think MSAR said 45 - but there is an excel file in this thread that tracked movement over the last decade or so that has close to the actual numbers


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Oh, gotcha. That's why I was confused. I had looked at the excel file and then the numbers from the last few years that weren't included, and it looked like the average was a little over 60. Maybe the MSAR doesn't go back that far so the average was lower.
 
No need to be rude or abrupt. I was simply telling EDlover23 what the interview administrator told all of us when we asked her what the average progression of the wait list was. She said, "around 75", and since I also no longer have access to MSAR, I told him what an actual administrator said.

Edit: I was also interested at the high number she told me during my interview so that's why I posted the Admissions link on my previous post. An average class, according to OHSU's webpage, is 153 but they send out 230+ acceptances. This high number of acceptances most likely comes from their wait list, which corroborated her statement of around 75--even though the number obviously fluctuates year to year.

Rude or abrupt? Blunt maybe, but your info was wrong and I then gave the correct info. While that may be what the person said, we know it's simply not the case in reality. I'm not gonna type some long drawn out post on my phone to correct you - I'm just going to get to the point, so take that as you will. MSAR says 45. Over the last 11 years, they made it over 60 three times. Last 5 years; 44, 57, 54, 62, 106. They on average the last 5 years have moved 5 or fewer spots from this date forward, putting this year to likely be at most mid fifties.

Also there is turnover in offers well before waitlist. That's how they get 230+. You can't just take offers 230+, minus spots 153, and get wait list movement. Tons of stuff happens before waitlist, which means WL movement has to be less than 77ish (depending on the + part).




Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
 
Last edited:
MSAR says 45. Over the last 11 years, they made it over 60 three times. Last 5 years; 44, 57, 54, 62, 106. They on average the last 5 years have moved 5 or fewer spots from this date forward, putting this year to likely be at most mid fifties.

Also there is turnover in offers well before waitlist. That's how they get 230+. You can't just take offers 230+, minus spots 153, and get wait list movement. Tons of stuff happens before waitlist, which means WL movement has to be less than 77ish (depending on the + part).

Tone is always hard to interpret on the internet, I guess. Anyways, thank you for providing the correct numbers for the OHSU wait list. I've heard about its variability with each year so knowing a common trend is always helpful.

Edit: Grammar
 
Last edited:
I was accepted this past Monday. Since I have not seen anyone post about wl progress I was number 50 on the waitlist. Best of luck to those still waiting.
 
I was accepted this past Monday. Since I have not seen anyone post about wl progress I was number 50 on the waitlist. Best of luck to those still waiting.
Congrats! Guess they're not updating the portal. Will you be attending?
 
Hi all,
This is actually related to the OHSU 2017-2018 application cycle but it appears the essays are pretty similar. I'm just confused by what they mean about "family adversity". Can somebody give me some examples? Like I think I might have some family adversity but it's pretty personal and I'm not sure I want to share on a professional school application- also I don't want to write something that;s not actually what they're asking about.