2016-2017 San Juan Bautista Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if this school conducts interviews in Spanish or in English?

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone please post the secondary prompts? Also can someone give me the low down on this school? I am from CA and do not speak Spanish. I only studied 4 years in high school and 1 quarter/semester at my university. How big of a deal is that for admissions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Muy buena suerte to everyone applying!

Last edited:
Got my secondary

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if this school conducts interviews in Spanish or in English?
Last cycle, they gave Multiple Mini Interviews. There were 7 total. 4 were conducted in Spanish and 3 were conducted in English.

Me han dado una entrevista en noviembre. Alguien tiene recomendaciones?!

Congratulations! About how long did it take for you to hear back from them after you submitted the fee and transcripts ? Thanks !

II.

Anyone know if all interviews have started in November, or have there been some in October? I am aware -from previous posts- that invitations started maybe as far back as September.

By any chance, what are your stats?

I did slightly better on my mcat this year, but have somewhat low GPA. Would like to know where people getting interviewed stand. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys. I'm a current OOS first year student at SJB. If anyone has questions about the school, feel free to message me or post on here and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I know how stressful this process can be so hang in there!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I'm currently an OOS MS4 as SJB. If anyone has any questions please free free to PM me. Just a little about me, I applied to all 3 medical school an OOS applicant can get accepted too and was accepted into all 3 and ultimately decided to go to SJB. Keep in mind this was back in 2012.

I'm happy to help.

Ions

Does any of you guys have the match rate info of this school?

II.

Anyone know if all interviews have started in November, or have there been some in October? I am aware -from previous posts- that invitations started maybe as far back as September.

I had my interview at the end of October. Still waiting on a decision though

I had my interview at the end of October. Still waiting on a decision though

According to what they said during my interview orientation, AdCom wouldn't start sending out decisions until February and onwards.

How long after submitting secondary did you hear back for an interview?

Should I submit my updated transcript since the semester just ended and my GPA improved?

By any chance, what are your stats?

I did slightly better on my mcat this year, but have somewhat low GPA. Would like to know where people getting interviewed stand. Good luck.

I wouldn't worry, all Medical schools looking at MCAT score, GPA is irrelevant

Last cycle, they gave Multiple Mini Interviews. There were 7 total. 4 were conducted in Spanish and 3 were conducted in English.

So, are they keen on people who are fluent in Spanish? many of us applied while we are learning Spanish!

I called the admissions office, and was told they are holding a meeting next week! First wave of decisions should be out by the second week of February. Best of luck to everyone~

So, are they keen on people who are fluent in Spanish? many of us applied while we are learning Spanish!
The MMI interviews are conducted in both languages. All PRican schools stress knowing both languages at a proficient if not fluent level.

Hey guys. I'm a current OOS first year student at SJB. If anyone has questions about the school, feel free to message me or post on here and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I know how stressful this process can be so hang in there!

Hello! I havea 493 mcat and 4.00 GPA, plus many years of research and internships. What do you think are my chances of being accepted?

Hello! I havea 493 mcat and 4.00 GPA, plus many years of research and internships. What do you think are my chances of being accepted?

You should just call Jaymi and ask her directly if you're a strong candidate or not. She'll tell you straight up like she told me and here I am 4 years later about to graduate lol.

Hello!

Does someone know if the second wave of interviews started? -Thanks

Officially accepted on Monday!! IS and interviewed on Jan 17 :)

Reactions: 3 users
Would it be a good idea to send an extra letter of recommendation if they have yet to contact me regarding an interview? One of my doctors I'm working on a project with has been asking me if she can write me one since I've done so much with her since I applied. Or should you not send letters until you get an interview?

Hey, has anyone who was interview in November received a acceptance letter?

Would it be a good idea to send an extra letter of recommendation if they have yet to contact me regarding an interview? One of my doctors I'm working on a project with has been asking me if she can write me one since I've done so much with her since I applied. Or should you not send letters until you get an interview?
I don't think it would hurt. SJB is very receptive to people who show continued interest. I know because I bothered them with updates until they accepted me last year in May.

@jugodeparcha was this before an interview was offered or after? Do I send updates through email or AMCAS?

Any word on more interviews?? Still hopeful.

Hi everyone!! I was called last Friday ( March 3, 2017) for a interview. I will interview on March 30, 2017 but I think my chances are low because of my 491 MCAT and 3.7GPA.

Turned down my interview for March 30. Hope one of you gets it.

Hi everyone!! I was called last Friday ( March 3, 2017) for a interview. I will interview on March 30, 2017 but I think my chances are low because of my 491 MCAT and 3.7GPA.

Are you IS or OOS?

Accepted. Just found out today in an email from Jaymi. I will be withdrawing as I have accepted another offer; hope any of you gets it.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got my II, 4/6.

Anyone know the match results from previous years/board pass rates?

Accepted on Monday the 13th via email. OOS. Does anyone know if there is a fb group class for 2017-2018 entry year?

Hola chic@s,

Hope you are all doing well and congratulations to those of you who have been selected for this cycle. I received an II at SJBSOM for 3/29 and am feeling so blessed, nervous and excited all at the same time. For those of you who have already interviewed here, I have a couple of questions:

1. Are we allowed to bring notepads to the interview to jot things down?
2. How long does the interview take with the tour included? I have to fly out that evening and am concerned that I might be cutting it close. I have read it takes about 3 hours - can someone who recently interviewed confirm?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hola chic@s,

Hope you are all doing well and congratulations to those of you who have been selected for this cycle. I received an II at SJBSOM for 3/29 and am feeling so blessed, nervous and excited all at the same time. For those of you who have already interviewed here, I have a couple of questions:

1. Are we allowed to bring notepads to the interview to jot things down?
2. How long does the interview take with the tour included? I have to fly out that evening and am concerned that I might be cutting it close. I have read it takes about 3 hours - can someone who recently interviewed confirm?

Thanks!

1. If I remember correctly, you can bring a notepad and jot stuff down during the tour, but not during the interview itself. They will ask you to put your things in a room while you do the interview.
2. Didn't interview recently so someone else will have to answer but last year it took 2 hours and 45 mins for me.