2016-2017 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
I am an incoming MS1 student, so it may not be useful to ask me too many questions about curriculum, facilities, clinics etc. until at least August. That said, as an MSTP student, I am already on campus and can try to pull in advice from the older students for anything I don’t already know.

I've put together our "information sheet" below to match the useful ones already made for a few other threads. Best of luck to all of the applicants!

Stats [Source]
~3700 applicants
~400 interviews (in-state bias for regular MD)
~260 total acceptances (including ~ 30 off WL)
~200 of those are Alabama residents

Usually about 100 are waitlisted, and the Adcom often pulls up to 30 or so from it
~186 matriculated

Matriculating Class Statistics for 2015:
Average Undergraduate GPA: 3.73
Average MCAT Score: 30.2 (9.8/9.9/10.5 section breakdowns)

2015-2016 Secondary Application (screened for minimum MCAT score of 495 [24 on old])
All essays are 1500 character max:

1. Do you consider yourself rural? If "yes", describe life experiences that illustrate this.

2. If you are a reapplicant, describe how you have improved your overall credentials for the current application year, specifically addressing any concerns raised in feedback you received from the Admissions Committee.

3. Briefly indicate how you would add diversity to our medical school class.

4. Non-Alabama residents: Describe any experiences you have had related to the state of Alabama or UAB Medical Center.

5. All Applicants: If the area you spent most of your life before college differs from where you currently consider your permanent address, please explain.

6. Where do you see yourself in your medical career fifteen to twenty years from now?

7. Please share any information you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application or in this secondary application.

You also have an opportunity to elaborate on your activities/extracurricular section. They are automatically imported from AMCAS.

Update Letter Policy [Source]
“With an exception for Re-applicants, once the Secondary Application has been submitted no further information will be added to an applicant’s application file. In January, re-applicants are encouraged to provide an update for their application file on the preparation and improvements to their applications … Applicant thank you notes and other communications to Admissions Committee members should be directed to the Admissions Office.”

Curriculum [Source]
18 month organ-based module preclinical

Fundamentals is unranked and Pass/Fail (<70%).

The rest of preclinical is ranked and graded Honors (92% or higher in all modules)/Pass/Fail (<70%) starting fall of 2015.

Clerkship is ranked and graded Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail.

Lectures are recorded and non-mandatory.

Mandatory 8 weeks of “scholarly activity”

Interviews [Source]
Invitations are sent by email with the first interviews (early decision especially) held in mid-September. Interview day consists of one 25-minute admissions committee interview and a 7-10 station Multiple Mini Interview session.

Of Note
  • Upon acceptance, students are placed [semi-randomly, as far as anyone can tell] at one of the four main campuses for their clinical years. The breakdown is Birmingham: 98, Hunstville: 34, Montgomery: 20, Tuscaloosa (only campus currently offering longitudinal clerkship): 34. It is very rare to change campus assignments after acceptance. Everyone is in Birmingham for the preclinical years.
  • Housing is not offered by the university itself, but Birmingham like most southern cities is very affordable with rent often running as low as $500-700 per person for a shared apartment, even within walking distance of the university or city center.
  • Keep in mind that the school is notorious for being later than claimed with any and all communications and internal deadlines. Don’t worry, everything gets sent out eventually.
  • UASOM Facebook Page

I will do my best to update this as the year progresses, so if anyone has any details that they would specifically like me to add, feel free to comment.
Citation for format: @hellanutella

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Completely agree with @Nanorust overview. I'm a first time re-applicant and looking forward to another fun nauseating anxious application cycle. Especially since I won't get looked at until January :soexcited: :bang:

This might be a dumb question but I just got an email about applying to their MD/PhD program. I wasn't planning on applying since I'm out of state, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to apply after this email? Or do they send these out to a lot of people.

Would it be wise to explain why I got a low CARS section in the prompt where it asks to mention additional things about yourself? My MCAT was fine other than my CARS so I didn't feel there was a need to retake but my CARS score was incredibly low, which doesn't even make sense to me and should not reflect my actual reading skills

Has anyone already received a secondary? I understand that last cycle's earliest reported secondary was 8/10.

Last edited:
This might be a dumb question but I just got an email about applying to their MD/PhD program. I wasn't planning on applying since I'm out of state, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to apply after this email? Or do they send these out to a lot of people.

UAB does not give preference to in-state students for MD/PhD, but they do for regular MD programs. It's in your best interest to apply MD/PhD if you are out of state and you have substantial research experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone gotten a secondary yet? Do they send secondaries to OOS and IS applicants at the same time? I'm OOS.

Has anyone gotten a secondary yet? Do they send secondaries to OOS and IS applicants at the same time? I'm OOS.

I believe consensus is that they have not. According to the 2015-2016 thread, secondaries were released on August 10th last year.

UAB does not give preference to in-state students for MD/PhD, but they do for regular MD programs. It's in your best interest to apply MD/PhD if you are out of state and you have substantial research experience.
The preference part is technically true, but I would not use that as your justification for applying MD/PhD. The program involves far more time (8 years), a more difficult application process (often with more competitive applicants which may cancel out the state bias), and a different career path expectation. If anyone is interested in or curious about MD/PhD, I suggest checking out the physician scientist board on SDN. Either way, I do not suggest applying MD/PhD at any school for any reason except actually wanting the physician scientist career path.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received a secondary yet? This is on UAB's website:

"Beginning July 25, 2016, we will start sending Secondary Application requests to selected applicants. Select applicants verified by AMCAS who are U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents are invited to complete our Secondary Application. Applicants are encouraged to complete the Secondary Application within two weeks of receiving the request."

Has anyone received a secondary yet? This is on UAB's website:

"Beginning July 25, 2016, we will start sending Secondary Application requests to selected applicants. Select applicants verified by AMCAS who are U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents are invited to complete our Secondary Application. Applicants are encouraged to complete the Secondary Application within two weeks of receiving the request."

I have not. Last year they released the secondary on August 10th. Prior threads have advised to not hold your breath when it comes to timeliness with UAB, so trying to take that in stride.

I saw the same deadline on the site, but in the past threads it looks like it happens more tend the beginning or middle of August

Congrats!
Mind quoting the essay prompts and wordcount guidelines?

Also, do you mind me asking what program you applied to? Regular MD? IS or OOS?

It's the same as last year. Someone posted it in this thread already. I'm Regular MD IS. Also, they encourage you to submit within 2 weeks. It's more involved than other secondaries. It brings in a lot of imformation from the primary application and asks you to elaborate.

Received as well, glad to see they're ahead of last years pace

For anyone that has opened the application, under which section would you place paid clinical/medical experience?

Medically related experience. The descriptions within each tab seem off to me (it tells you to put something like this in ECs). If you go to 'Print my Application' on the home screen, each section has a description which makes much more sense.

For anyone that has opened the application, under which section would you place paid clinical/medical experience?

OOS finally received secondary this morning! Submitted and hoping for the best!

can you receive a secondary before all of your letters of recommendation are in?

Any recommendations for an OOS-er with no ties to Alabama? Just got surprised by the "Non-Alabama residents: Describe any experiences you have had related to the state of Alabama or UAB Medical Center." essay prompt.

Can you post the questions please?
It is the same as 2015-2016 Secondary Application (screened for minimum MCAT score of 495 [24 on old])
All essays are 1500 character max:

1. Do you consider yourself rural? If "yes", describe life experiences that illustrate this.

2. If you are a reapplicant, describe how you have improved your overall credentials for the current application year, specifically addressing any concerns raised in feedback you received from the Admissions Committee.

3. Briefly indicate how you would add diversity to our medical school class.

4. Non-Alabama residents: Describe any experiences you have had related to the state of Alabama or UAB Medical Center.

5. All Applicants: If the area you spent most of your life before college differs from where you currently consider your permanent address, please explain.

6. Where do you see yourself in your medical career fifteen to twenty years from now?

7. Please share any information you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application or in this secondary application.

You also have an opportunity to elaborate on your activities/extracurricular section. They are automatically imported from AMCAS.

Has anyone gotten the "Secondary Complete and Under Review" Status? Mine has been "Secondary Submitted and In Process" status for several weeks now even though all my materials are in.

Has anyone gotten the "Secondary Complete and Under Review" Status? Mine has been "Secondary Submitted and In Process" status for several weeks now even though all my materials are in.
Same here...... the waiting game is no fun. :(

Check again today! My status just changed today.

Check again today! My status just changed today.

How long did it take to change? I just sent in my secondary and have everything listed as received but just curious how long it will take to go to completed.

How long did it take to change? I just sent in my secondary and have everything listed as received but just curious how long it will take to go to completed.
I submitted early August (with everything received) and it was changed to "complete under review" after a few days (<3 days, not sure because I did not check everyday)

Is it required to put your SAT and ACT score? I have no idea what my scores are and it looks like you have to pay to get them. Trying to avoid this after paying for all these apps.

Is it required to put your SAT and ACT score? I have no idea what my scores are and it looks like you have to pay to get them. Trying to avoid this after paying for all these apps.
You can email the SAT/ACT site under "contact" and they get back in a day with your ID to help log in. My email changed so it was a lot of hurdles for something so old but they were super helpful and I didn't have to pay for any of them

I've been submitted for a little over a week now, but my status still says "in process" even though it shows all of my letters and photo, fee, etc. have arrived. Did anyone else experience anything similar?

I submitted 3 weeks ago and mine still says its in process

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile