2016-2017 University of California - Irvine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those interested in the PRIME-LC program essays:

Do you wish to be considered for the Program in Medical Education for the Latino Community? (Y/N)

1. Please describe how you have served your community (school, neighborhood, city, etc.) and how these experiences have prepared you for PRIME-LC. (1500 char)

2.Please describe the reason for your interest to be trained as a physician leader for the Latino community. In addition, explain how you intend to utilize the PRIME-LC specialized training to impact community health and health services for the Latino community. (1500 char)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone get the prompts yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Application received email but no secondary. Anyone get the secondary?

Application received email but no secondary. Anyone get the secondary?
No secondary. I got the email this morning:

"The University of California Irvine, School of Medicine has received your AMCAS application.

We perform a holistic review of all applicants and due to the volume of applications it may take until late February to complete the review of your application. If you are offered a secondary application you will be notified by email and given instructions how to complete your application."

Feb?? Really?

Secondary received!

Secondary! IS. Does anyone know how extensive this screen is?

Also just got the secondary.

@WedgeDawg

1. What personal accomplishment are you most proud of and why? (1500 char)

2. Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience. (1500 char)

Do you have a baccalaureate degree? (Y/N)

This essay is only for applicants that have already received their baccalaureate degree. Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work, and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. (1500 char)

Members don't see this ad :)
@WedgeDawg

For those interested in the PRIME-LC program essays:

Do you wish to be considered for the Program in Medical Education for the Latino Community? (Y/N)

1. Please describe how you have served your community (school, neighborhood, city, etc.) and how these experiences have prepared you for PRIME-LC. (1500 char)

2.Please describe the reason for your interest to be trained as a physician leader for the Latino community. In addition, explain how you intend to utilize the PRIME-LC specialized training to impact community health and health services for the Latino community. (1500 char)

I don't have a full year of community service with an underserved population. Does anyone know if this will be a significant issue for Irvine?

All these schools asking for my activities AGAIN are going to give me carpal tunnel.

Reactions: 4 users
Also, the 30 day deadline applies for LOR as well.

So if you're like me and waiting on a later committee letter, you should email them about it

Anyone else having trouble uploading a picture?

Just realized we can only put 5 activities in each category. I was originally planning on splitting some of my activities, since there were some summers I didn't do them. I.E. put from Jan 2012 - May 2015 and then from Aug 2015 - May 2016. That obviouslt won't work anymore. So how should I go aobut listing these? Especially with vastly different numbers of hours.

EDIT: Also, should I try and put shadowing? I think it's way to varied in the amounts I did it to be put in here, but idk.

Last edited:
Just realized we can only put 5 activities in each category. I was originally planning on splitting some of my activities, since there were some summers I didn't do them. I.E. put from Jan 2012 - May 2015 and then from Aug 2015 - May 2016. That obviouslt won't work anymore. So how should I go aobut listing these? Especially with vastly different numbers of hours.

EDIT: Also, should I try and put shadowing? I think it's way to varied in the amounts I did it to be put in here, but idk.

I put in shadowing. Is it 5/category or 4?

Photo upload is working now

Received secondary, IS, LM >70, submitted! Fingers crossed for II

@Iwannaknow I didn't since it didn't really fit the categories, I'm sure if they wanted to know if we did they could just look at AMCAS. I think they just wanted a snapshot of activities within the listed categories.

I served an underserved community for 10 months. Should I still include that even though they ask for a year?

For the biggest accomplishment essay, what do you guys think about losing weight? Risky topic?

Last edited:
I served an underserved community for 10 months. Should I still include that even though they ask for a year?

For the biggest accomplishment essay, what do you guys think about losing weight? Risky topic?
I put no. It clearly states a year and one of mine I had for like 8 months but I'll continue for the next year. It kinda annoys me they had the year thing but whatever

And I did something like that except mine including competing in my sport after losing weight and such. Ultimately if you're passionate about it and genuine, the actual topic you use isn't as important as how you say it

In case anyone cares, I ended up choosing the one most important shadowing in.

Anyone's system show complete yet? Usually the amp system shows my letters as received immediately after submutting, but not this time.

Can we repeat activities that fit in multiple sections. Such as research and employment, or clinical and employment?

Also, the 30 day deadline applies for LOR as well.

So if you're like me and waiting on a later committee letter, you should email them about it
How do you know this? Did you contact Irvine?

From the secondary website, I interpreted it differently: only the completed secondary application is due in 30 days, but not the letters.

I admit I could be wrong. It's just that other schools typically don't have such early deadlines for LORs.

Does anyone know whether we should include a long description for the activities section or just the title of the activity?

How do you know this? Did you contact Irvine?

From the secondary website, I interpreted it differently: only the completed secondary application is due in 30 days, but not the letters.

I admit I could be wrong. It's just that other schools typically don't have such early deadlines for LORs.
I called them and they said that the deadlines apply for letters as well. They suggested I email them through the portal and ask for an extension on the letters.

I doubt they would reject someone if the secondary was complete but the letters were missing, the app would probably just be on hold somewhere

Received secondary on July 15, but UCI is the only school right now in which its secondary doesn't indicate my letters have been received; I'm assuming they are just getting things started a little later than most schools

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! Wondering if anyone had input on the challenge prompt and whether it would be fine to use a relationship issue with an SO as a challenge I overcame. The idea was overcoming my fear of being alone after SO left suddenly. The lesson was that I learned to take care better care of myself mentally and physically and ask for help. The other option is overcoming my fear of falling when learning to skateboard. The lesson there was learning to stay calm despite the fear and focus on the task at hand. Which would be the more kosher topic to write about??

So I've been volunteering for over a year for this community center for individuals with HIV/AIDS. A majority of them are part of the LGBTQ community, and a few of the members live in public housing and/or are struggling with a significant amount of poverty. Would this be considered service to an underserved community/population?

Alright so it's just them then, not me. I am sure they'll download them all at once this week.

For the activities section, did anyone list activities twice? I have some things that fit into both a school/clinical category and employment category...

When they say to list prerequisite courses, do they only mean list courses that fulfills the requirements on their website? Meaning you don't list ALL the biology courses you've taken but only up to 3 semesters / 5 quarters + 1 upper division course?

nah i wish. my letters are still pending. I designated them to UCI before I even got the secondary ?_?
Are your letters still pending? It still says on my Letter of References line "Application has not been submitted" even though it shows I submitted above.

Are your letters still pending? It still says on my Letter of References line "Application has not been submitted" even though it shows I submitted above.

UCI will download the letters by the end of this week.

Reactions: 1 users
What were some of the things you guys wrote about for the greatest personal accomplishment? I've just graduated, and I feel like that's definitely my greatest accomplishment. It only took 16 years of schooling to accomplish. But I don't want to write about the fact that I graduated. Also, I assume that they don't want us writing about accomplishments before college, right?