2016-2017 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Essay 1
Tell us something you are passionate about and why. Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).
Essay 2
At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).
Essay 3
Please briefly describe your personal experience in a leadership position and the challenges that presented themselves in that position. Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone have any data on the ranges of new MCAT scores that got students accepted last cycle? I got the MSAR but it only has admissions data for the old MCAT :/

Anyone have any data on the ranges of new MCAT scores that got students accepted last cycle? I got the MSAR but it only has admissions data for the old MCAT :/

I don't have the data, but from what I understand, since both the old MCAT and the new MCAT are being accepted at this point, comparing percentiles is a way to compare the scores from the two tests.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to the Admissions home page, and there is a link to the Admissions tracker.
It has data broken down between IS and OOS by percentages for MCAT, and the GPA high/low/averages. Good luck to you.

Applications:
Interviews Scheduled:
Admission Offers:

Hey guys, did everyone get the "it's time to apply to medical school" email from Dr.Gay?

Apply early. Based on the published stats, Michigan interviews a lot more people who filed in July as a percentage.

So i just submitted my AMCAS and had umich med listed as one of my schools. I would be an in-state applicant but scored a 509 on the MCAT...do I even have a chance? I have a high GPA and very unique EC's...but I'm super worried about my MCAT score. Any insight is appreciated!

So i just submitted my AMCAS and had umich med listed as one of my schools. I would be an in-state applicant but scored a 509 on the MCAT...do I even have a chance? I have a high GPA and very unique EC's...but I'm super worried about my MCAT score. Any insight is appreciated!

Here is the tracker from last year, use the average for IS (the Blue lines) as a guide:

upload_2016-6-17_10-45-48.png
upload_2016-6-17_10-46-4.png
upload_2016-6-17_10-46-13.png
upload_2016-6-17_10-46-21.png

Reactions: 1 user
Here is the tracker from last year, use the average for IS (the Blue lines) as a guide:

View attachment 205151View attachment 205152View attachment 205153View attachment 205154

I was curious, it seems as though Michigan accepts students with a wide range of scores and grade point averages. Are there specific attributes that an applicant should highlight in their application (primary and secondary) that you would recommend?

Also, how does U of M view an out of state student that is also an alumnus of the school? #GoBlue

Last edited:
I was curious, it seems as though Michigan accepts students with a wide range of scores and grade point averages. Are their specific attributes that an applicant should highlight in their application (primary and secondary) that you would recommend?

Also, how does U of M view an out of state student that is also an alumnus of the school? #GoBlue

OOS is always OOS, but almost 25% of Med Students are U of M alumni.

Not sure the distribution of MCAT/GPAs is a regular bell curve. There are a few outliers, but most are clustered very close to the averages.

U of M is all about the team, your contributions to a team. Medicine is a team sport now, and the lone wolf won't work well in that environment.

OOS is always OOS, but almost 25% of Med Students are U of M alumni.

Not sure the distribution of MCAT/GPAs is a regular bell curve. There are a few outliers, but most are clustered very close to the averages.

U of M is all about the team, your contributions to a team. Medicine is a team sport now, and the lone wolf won't work well in that environment.

Thank you for your insight. I am looking forward to applying here. U of M is one of my dream schools and it would be great to come back for another 4 years.

This is my dream school as well! I am currently a rising senior at University of Michigan for undergrad. I have an mcat score of 513 and gpa of 3.86. Do you think my mcat score is close enough to their average?! thanks!

This is my dream school as well! I am currently a rising senior at University of Michigan for undergrad. I have an mcat score of 513 and gpa of 3.86. Do you think my mcat score is close enough to their average?! thanks!

Based on the admissions tracker data that Rainbow Zebra posted above, it seems like 90% of the "average MCAT" in-state applicants got in...so what constitutes "average MCAT" for this school? 90th percentile?

Members don't see this ad :)
I might be misinterpreting, but I believe the y-axis on first two graphs of the tracker data is MCAT score percentile, not percentage of people offered interview/admission. So the average MCAT of in-state accepted students is about 90th percentile, but we don't know what percentage of applicants with that MCAT were admitted.

Based on the admissions tracker data that Rainbow Zebra posted above, it seems like 90% of the "average MCAT" in-state applicants got in...so what constitutes "average MCAT" for this school? 90th percentile?

That is also how I interpreted the data. That for in state applicants, there was an average MCAT of 90 percentile for both interview/admissions offered. I wonder what the median was for interview/admissions offered, since I feel median values are more indicative of gauging one's competitiveness compared to average values.

Essay 1
Tell us something you are passionate about and why. Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).
Essay 2
At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).
Essay 3
Please briefly describe your personal experience in a leadership position and the challenges that presented themselves in that position. Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

@WedgeDawg

I received secondary, I am not EDP.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope, but I submitted my primary on the first day and was verified the 14th.

Got mine too. Where it asks if my generation is the first in my family to finish college, what would I put if my parents only recieved associates?
Jw because AMCAS automatically marked me SES disadvantaged E01 because 2 of my parents have associates, and that's it.

Last edited:
Maybe a silly question, but secondaries are sent to our AMCAS-associated email, correct?

Edit: yep, was emailed. Nevermind!

Last edited:
Yes. That email is also used to log in and set up the secondary account.

Does anyone know when interview invites and acceptances started coming out for U of M last year?

The first II on SDN was July 15 in 2014 and July 28 in 2015

I worked every semester while in college, but not to finance my education. Should I just put zero here?

"If you worked to finance your undergraduate education, on average, how many hours per week did you work? Please average your hours, considering the academic year and summer work, over the course of your undergraduate career."

Luckily pre-wrote the answers to these essays! Just have to revise them and submit.

Do you guys think it would be wise to talk about the same activity in 2 or even all of the questions? One of the leadership position I'm in is also what makes me diverse and an activity I'm passionate about.

Do you guys think it would be wise to talk about the same activity in 2 or even all of the questions? One of the leadership position I'm in is also what makes me diverse and an activity I'm passionate about.
I feel like if you can use the different essays to talk about different aspects of it, without too much overlap, doing two on the same subject could work, but idk if I'd risk doing all 3 on the same thing. Might be seen like you don't really have much going for yourself.

RECEIVED SECONDARY AND WILL NOW ATTACK IT WITH AN ENTHUSIASM UNKNOWN TO MANKIND!

SO PUMPED!

Guessing you are a U of M student/alum judging by your SDN profile? If you are, so am I. #GoBlue #Hail

Actually no! I've been a fan my whole life though and have personal connections to U of M. It's my dream school so hopefully I'll get a chance!

Haha nice! I only became a fan during college. I definitely guessed wrong. Good luck!

+1 on secondary, got it at like, 6 or 7am PST.

I submitted three minutes into the primary opening though and was verified a few hours later.

I AM EGG-CITED ABOUT THIS SCHOOL AHHHHH

Secondary seemed pretty early for AMCAS-school standards - usually starts in July IIRC. Still, not complaining about an early start!
Yeah definitely. Hopefully this means IIs will go out earlier too.

Secondary received (submitted 6/7; verified 6/16)! As a heads up, the MSTP secondary differs slightly from MD:

Essay 1:
Briefly describe why you decided to apply to the University of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, or area of research for your Ph.D., please provide a brief explanation (we recognize that your interests may change).

Essay 2:

Essay 3:

Anyone have a suggestion for how long Essay 1 should be? No limit was provided...

Good luck everyone!

Yeah definitely. Hopefully this means IIs will go out earlier too.

Seriously. Would be nice to get a II. I feel like waiting for the first will be the hardest.

Once you submit the secondary it takes a bit for the status to update right? Mine still just says primary received, no acknowledgement of secondary. #nervouspremedbreakdown

Secondary seemed pretty early for AMCAS-school standards - usually starts in July IIRC. Still, not complaining about an early start!
Pretty sure amcas opened for submission a week later and transmitted a week earlier than last year