2016-2017 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So for Loyola and Northwestern, I should expect my II sometime in 1900? Let me go check my mail, it should be somewhere there.
Nope, I just haven't updated when their secondaries came out this year. When it adds to a blank cell, it adds to the date January 1, 1900. That reminds me that I do need to update Loyola and UVA (though I have no info for Northwestern yet).

First week of August is what it predicts for Loyola.

Members don't see this ad.

View attachment 206204

According to this calculation (pulled info from past SDN threads, add avg days b/w 1st secondary and 1st II in 2014 and 2015 to the 2016 1st secondary date), there's a bit more time to wait. The "predicted" first II is this Saturday, so I'd expect it early next week. However, this method is highly unscientific: mostly my way of procrastinating on actually writing the secondaries. I was already off on Pritzker :shrug:

Sounds like the IIs really start to pick up last week of July/1st week of August.

Yep, I think the best take-away is not to work about IIs until the last week of July. It'll be interesting to see if the earlier transmission date pushes the timeline forward or if it simply allows admission offices more time to review.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Go Blue!
When did you submit secondary? Are your LOr in? (These qs to all future IIs)
Thank you!!!! Dream school since I was a kid. Couldn't be happier.

Verified - June 21st
LORs received prior to getting my secondary app I believe (it was never a concern that they had not been received)
Got my secondary on June 24th, submitted June 27th
GPA 3.91, MCAT 522

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!! Did they send an email or was it made available on the applicant portal?

Congrats!! Did they send an email or was it made available on the applicant portal?
I got an email around 9 o'clock last night and was asked to schedule my interview through the applicant portal, which I did

UMich just tweeted that their first IIs are going out on July 18th.

@oberonthebeer are you a troll?
Well unless I was mistakenly invited to interview and also mistakenly allowed to schedule said interview, that tweet is false. Definitely weird and makes me nervous but I am not trolling whatsoever. Let's just hope they're not trolling me :/

ImageUploadedBySDN1468433970.326257.jpg

So confused haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't hurt to give them a ring! Just tell them you saw there tweet but you already scheduled an interview and you just want to check.

I think in years past they've also sent out some "early" invites before the "official " first round.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

View attachment 206261

I'm also confused and pretty worried....anyone have any advice....should I contact the admissions office?
You are one of the lucky ones, they didn't need to spend time sorting your app into piles, you are the top of the heap!! Congrats. They interview high stats applicants very early in the game. You'll have your decision by mid October. Enjoy, tweets are just that, tweets. Some folks don't have to wait for LORs, etc to get II. Best wishes to you!!

@SpaceLeftBlank
How do you know that? Any other info? Even if it wasn't a mistake that I got an II, I feel like there isn't a way for me to get any answers about this timing discrepancy. I could be wondering until my interview date whether or not I was supposed to get that email yesterday.....which adds more anxiety to an already high anxiety process..

@SpaceLeftBlank
How do you know that? Any other info? Even if it wasn't a mistake that I got an II, I feel like there isn't a way for me to get any answers about this timing discrepancy. I could be wondering until my interview date whether or not I was supposed to get that email yesterday.....which adds more anxiety to an already high anxiety process..

I wouldn't overthink it. Just enjoy the success.

Okay thanks everybody! Sorry, I never would have posted that I got an II last night had I known I got it before the actual first round...didn't mean to come off as a troll/obnoxious at all..but good luck to everyone!! Go blue!!

Okay thanks everybody! Sorry, I never would have posted that I got an II last night had I known I got it before the actual first round...didn't mean to come off as a troll/obnoxious at all..but good luck to everyone!! Go blue!!

I'm happy you posted it, makes the process a bit more interesting, although it did raise my blood pressure a bit when I thought IIs were going out en mass and I didn't have one ;)

No worries at all! I only suggested you may be a troll because someone in the George Washington thread claimed to have received an II and then got banned from SDN lol

Reactions: 2 users
Got behind on secondaries due to some poorly-timed travel and laptop issues... just submitted after just over two weeks, hopefully won't be too bad.

Really love this school though, even as OOS, fingers are crossed!!

Schools always seem to have exceptions. You have great score and high GPA and must fit the category. "lets invite them right away". I know people with high stats from last year who received an invite 4 days after submitting the secondary and some before even submitting a secondary.

Schools always seem to have exceptions. You have great score and high GPA and must fit the category. "lets invite them right away". I know people with high stats from last year who received an invite 4 days after submitting the secondary and some before even submitting a secondary.

Even before a secondary?? Holy crap. How high of stats are we talking about here?

I think 38 and 3.95 from last year for a student from Stanford.

Darn ivy leaguers I'm just as good as y'all!! Haha

If you a 38 equivalent with a 3.9+ GPA, you should most likely get a II even if you didn't attend a top school. If you attended Michigan, or Michigan resident, you could get a II with much lower credentials as opposed to OOS students.

Do you guys know if legacy has any affect on admissions for medical school? My father graduated from both undergrad and med school here? I'm not the strongest applicant with a 35 and 3.86 so would that help?

Already Monday here, looking forward to lots of unhealthy email checking!

Good luck all!! :) Does anyone know if Michigan gives out IIs in this upcoming round if our letters aren't in?

Do you guys know if legacy has any affect on admissions for medical school? My father graduated from both undergrad and med school here? I'm not the strongest applicant with a 35 and 3.86 so would that help?
Certainly won't hurt, but helps more if family member are faculty. There are 2 questions on the secondary, are parents faculty or are parents alumni of med school. Your stats are fine, especially if you are IS.