You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 University of Rochester Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Secondary just received and submitted. So easy. Question for others when they submit: are your LoR marked as incomplete or not? Both St. Louis and Rochester use the same application system and they both have said they haven't received mine even though I sent them to AMCAS and designated them on my primary. Anyone else?
Secondary just received and submitted. So easy. Question for others when they submit: are your LoR marked as incomplete or not? Both St. Louis and Rochester use the same application system and they both have said they haven't received mine even though I sent them to AMCAS and designated them on my primary. Anyone else?
+1 Just received. How much was it to submit the secondary?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
100 dollars and blind optimism+1 Just received. How much was it to submit the secondary?
100 dollars and blind optimism
Retaking my MCAT July 22nd, should I submit secondary after or now?
Open to suggestions anyone?
Still waiting on mine. No secondaries received yet. What am I supposed to do with myself? Go outside? Psh.
Retaking my MCAT July 22nd, should I submit secondary after or now?
Open to suggestions anyone?
I'd say depends on the first score. I think late August is on the late side to be complete, but it shouldn't count you out. If you do submit your secondary now, I'd say make sure you indicate your new MCAT date on AMCAS . I'm not sure if it does that automatically.
edit: typical "I don't have any real experience with this stuff, so take my advice with a grain of salt" disclaimer!
Secondary received today!! My premed committee sends a composite letter on July 1st. Should I submit the secondary prior or after July 1st?
Secondary received today!! My premed committee sends a composite letter on July 1st. Should I submit the secondary prior or after July 1st?
I don't think it matters, since they won't review your app until everything is received, including your letters. I went ahead and submitted anyways even though my letters aren't in yet.
So... I've done none of the things listed in the "Experiences" section... not even studying abroad. Will this hurt my chances a major way?
Secondary just received and submitted. So easy. Question for others when they submit: are your LoR marked as incomplete or not? Both St. Louis and Rochester use the same application system and they both have said they haven't received mine even though I sent them to AMCAS and designated them on my primary. Anyone else?
Mine was the same way too. However they point out in the "secondary received" email after you submit it that you have to wait 24 hours for them to download your LoR from AMCAS.
Just completed the secondary! Hoping to hear good things from Rochester- has been a top choice for awhile!
Went to fill this out and basically left everything blank... now debating whether I should submit it or not at all.
Secondary received today!! My premed committee sends a composite letter on July 1st. Should I submit the secondary prior or after July 1st?
I would say just submit it so it end up in their queue, they won't look at you until your letter is in but at least it will be out of your hands.
Prompts please, has it changed from last year?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Prompts please, has it changed from last year?
No prompts! Just some boxes to check off ("yes" or "no").
Went to fill this out and basically left everything blank... now debating whether I should submit it or not at all.
I would imagine a lot of people leave them all blank. Think about it like this...
You may not have done a formal summer research program, but have you done research? They will definitely still be interested in that and it's not something they aren't going to have high regard for just because it wasn't part of a formal summer research program.
Make sense? FWIW I only checked one box.
Thanks so much, @browndudeman and @queenoftheclouds . Really appreciate it y'll. Hope we can all get interviews!!I would say just submit it so it end up in their queue, they won't look at you until your letter is in but at least it will be out of your hands.
I'd say depends on the first score. I think late August is on the late side to be complete, but it shouldn't count you out. If you do submit your secondary now, I'd say make sure you indicate your new MCAT date on AMCAS . I'm not sure if it does that automatically.
edit: typical "I don't have any real experience with this stuff, so take my advice with a grain of salt" disclaimer!
It was a eh score, lower cars than i anticipated so thats why im retaking. I did indicate on AMCAS im retaking. Not sure if theyll wait on second score to fully review or look at current score.
For those that received secondaries, when were you verified?
Me neither, I certainly hope not!So... I've done none of the things listed in the "Experiences" section... not even studying abroad. Will this hurt my chances a major way?
Secondary rec/submitted! verified June 13th.
Felt like a loser because I hadn't done anything their check boxes asked me about.
Thanks, are the questions the same?No prompts! Just some boxes to check off ("yes" or "no").
For those that received secondaries, when were you verified?
Submitted June 10th, verified today (6/27), secondary received ~5 hours after verification.
I'm so excited - one of my favorite schools! Just got a secondary!!!
I'm so excited - one of my favorite schools! Just got a secondary!!!
I was verified late last week after submitting my primary on June 7th!!!
For those that received secondaries, when were you verified?
Submitted June 8th, verified June 22.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AMCAS verified 6/15. Secondary received and submitted today (6/27)
Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile
Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile
Does anyone have the list of boxes to check off? Just curious as to what they are
Does anyone know if you apply for the MD/MBA are you also considered for the MD program at the same time? I want to apply MD/MBA but want to make sure I don't hurt my chances of getting in.
Does anyone have the list of boxes to check off? Just curious as to what they are
Participated in the Peace Corps, Americorps, or Teach for America
Participated in a research experience with a University of Rochester faculty member
Participated in a formal summer research and / or enrichment program related to a career in the health professions (i.e., SMDEP funded by R.W.Johnson Foundation or other competitive program)
Participated in an international medical volunteer program or international mission / service activity
Participated in a study abroad program sponsored by a college, university, or other institution
Worked or volunteered in any capacity on a Native American Reservation
Employed by the University of Rochester Medical Center
First school where my app is complete! (Well pending my LORs being downloaded from AMCAS...)
Please check each of the following boxes that are relevant to your previous or current experiences (DO NOT check the box if you anticipate doing them but have yet to initiate the activity):
Participated in an international medical volunteer program or international mission / service activity
I have been accepted to an international medical volunteer program/international mission/service activity. I have already paid the deposit and will go to latin America. We plan on doing the activity in January and we have already initiated fundraising efforts for medical supplies, etc...
Also headed to the Middle East for a Leadership exchange in October. For the part that asked, will you be out of country and the date range. I'm only able to put in one of the date ranges. Technically I will be out of the country 2 times. For the medical trip and the leadership exchange.
Would I be able to mark off this box? Opinions, suggestions?
Participated in an international medical volunteer program or international mission / service activity
I have been accepted to an international medical volunteer program/international mission/service activity. I have already paid the deposit and will go to latin America. We plan on doing the activity in January and we have already initiated fundraising efforts for medical supplies, etc...
Also headed to the Middle East for a Leadership exchange in October. For the part that asked, will you be out of country and the date range. I'm only able to put in one of the date ranges. Technically I will be out of the country 2 times. For the medical trip and the leadership exchange.
Would I be able to mark off this box? Opinions, suggestions?
7
702599
Best secondary ever.
Also would I just call admissions office if I made a mistake and sent too many LORs to tell them which ones to read specifically?
Also would I just call admissions office if I made a mistake and sent too many LORs to tell them which ones to read specifically?
Worth a shot.Best secondary ever.
Also would I just call admissions office if I made a mistake and sent too many LORs to tell them which ones to read specifically?
Also LORs received/uploaded overnight from AMCAS. Got a confirmation email. Now we wait.... 🙂
Complete today, bless Rochester for that lack of secondary.
Verified on June 30th, received my secondary today and submitted it 5 minutes later.
Verified on June 30th, received my secondary today and submitted it 5 minutes later.
Same. I wonder how long it'll take them to give out IIs. I love how they approach medicine. Really hope I get the chance to II here.
Hey everyone, I am going to be participating in an AmeriCorps program but it does not start until next month. I know that participating in an AmeriCorps activity is a box that you can check on the experiences section if you have completed or have started it already. I was just wondering if its worth it to wait until August just so I can check the box... I just feel like it would help slightly haha. Maybe it won't at all, it was just a thought I had. Any advice would be great, thanks!
Hey everyone, I am going to be participating in an AmeriCorps program but it does not start until next month. I know that participating in an AmeriCorps activity is a box that you can check on the experiences section if you have completed or have started it already. I was just wondering if its worth it to wait until August just so I can check the box... I just feel like it would help slightly haha. Maybe it won't at all, it was just a thought I had. Any advice would be great, thanks!
Yea, I'd say you're fine to check it. By the time that they look at you, you'll be doing Americorps.
Okay I will, thanks @To be MD !
I'd call the admissions office Tuesday to double check! They're very nice.Okay I will, thanks @To be MD !
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Secondary (I guess...) submitted!
I only checked the study abroad box 🙁
I only checked the study abroad box 🙁
I'm in a similar situation. What did you end up doing?Okay I will, thanks @To be MD !
Is RIT a good school? Is it really hard to get into? I am from NY so applying to NY schools but don't know if I want to apply to UR because last year was only 31 NYS residents, rest weren't. Why are you all picking rochester over other NY schools like Buffalo cornell etc?
Is RIT a good school? Is it really hard to get into? I am from NY so applying to NY schools but don't know if I want to apply to UR because last year was only 31 NYS residents, rest weren't. Why are you all picking rochester over other NY schools like Buffalo cornell etc?
Rochester is private so they don't prefer NY residents over others. They're a mid tier school so they're pretty good. I'm applying because they have a good program and they tend to accept a decent number of people from my undergrad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K