You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Yale University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
ACCEPTED VIA PORTAL!!!!!!!!
It's happening!
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There's that sweet, sweet pre-II rejection. 🙂
Waitlisted via email and portal ):
Does any one know if there's a lot of movements off the waitlist?
Does any one know if there's a lot of movements off the waitlist?
Waitlisted as well. And apparently yes; about 20-30 acceptances out of a 75-85 person waitlist in the past!Waitlisted via email and portal ):
Does any one know if there's a lot of movements off the waitlist?
Accepted 🙂
This gives me hope! I declare myself King of the Waitlists. Everyone wants me, but only just a little.Waitlisted as well. And apparently yes; about 20-30 acceptances out of a 75-85 person waitlist in the past!
This gives me hope! I declare myself King of the Waitlists. Everyone wants me, but only just a little.
Haha I feel that too...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MSAR, under acceptance information.Waitlisted as well. Out of curiosity, where did you get the 75-85 figure from? Thanks.
MSAR, under acceptance information.
Do you have info on the number of acceptances they sent out?
(1st year student here) Congrats to the people who got accepted! Current students will call you in a few days to talk about the Yale experience and also answer any questions you may have. To the waitlisted students: Yale does have a lot of waitlist movement so stay tuned too!
Rejected pre-II. Complete mid-July.
Congrats to those admitted! Looks like "Tricky Dick" Richard's got a couple of tricks up his sleeve and changed the date on all of us! There is a ton of WL movement at Yale, anywhere from 20-30 students in the class come off the WL (including yours truly). That's the upside. Downside is that there'll barely be any movement until after the response deadline, May 1. So hang in there but all is not lost!
Accepted via email! 

Waitlisted as well. Praying! Exciting that they actually use the waitlist though
Waitlisted also! So grateful for the opportunity to have interviewed here.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
+1 on the wait list train. Praying for some good movement this year!!
Hopefully there's really only 75-85 on the waitlist... 11 SDNers on the WL is a pretty significant representation of a pool of this size.
Also, does anyone know if the wait list is ranked?
Hopefully there's really only 75-85 on the waitlist... 11 SDNers on the WL is a pretty significant representation of a pool of this size.
Also, does anyone know if the wait list is ranked?
Last edited:
I am going to +1 on the wait list train too!+1 on the wait list train. Praying for some good movement this year!!
Hopefully there's really only 75-85 on the waitlist... 11 SDNers on the WL is a pretty significant representation of a pool of this size.
Also, does anyone know if the wait list is ranked?
And gauging from what happened last year: yes, I think it is ranked. One of my friends who was on the wait list last year withdrew since she got into another really good program, but she got a call from Dean Silverman in May and was notified that she had a really good rank on the list and was asked to reconsider her withdrawal. So unless they changed the whole process this year, I guess it is ranked.
YSM hit me with that WL yesterday. Was expecting a "lol nah" rejection email from Silverman so I'll take it.
YSM hit me with that WL yesterday. Was expecting a "lol nah" rejection email from Silverman so I'll take it.
They gave your rejection letter to me bro. It looks like schools either love me or hate me, no waitlists so far.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It looks like more people were waitlisted than accepted judging by the posts
Of course counting sdn postings wouldn't be an accurate representation
Sent from my Redmi Pro using SDN mobile
Of course counting sdn postings wouldn't be an accurate representation
Sent from my Redmi Pro using SDN mobile
Waitlisted to the MD-PhD program. Anyone know if there's any differences from the md phd waitlist and the md only waitlist? Is it ranked also?
And if it were ranked, would updates improve your ranking if sent before the tiers come out (in may?)
Also, since the md phd students are about 20% of the class, would it be right to assume that the waitlist is 20% md phd students?
Thanks everyone! And good luck to all those as myself still sticking it out
And if it were ranked, would updates improve your ranking if sent before the tiers come out (in may?)
Also, since the md phd students are about 20% of the class, would it be right to assume that the waitlist is 20% md phd students?
Thanks everyone! And good luck to all those as myself still sticking it out
It looks like more people were waitlisted than accepted judging by the posts
Of course counting sdn postings wouldn't be an accurate representation
Sent from my Redmi Pro using SDN mobile
Yeah it's interesting...I wonder if they expanded their waitlist this year? Hopefully not though
facebook group is up: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1424302214256946/
facebook group is up: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1424302214256946/
I joined. This was my top choice school ever since the interview back in September. I'm still lit
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
congrats, I was rooting for you! 🙂
I joined. This was my top choice school ever since the interview back in September. I'm still lit
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
care to say more about why you were so sold?
care to say more about why you were so sold?
Gut feeling at interview day, Yale system, research in my areas of interest, positive interactions with faculty and students on interview day, Handsome Dan. I like the hands-off, self-directed approach... and the local food. I'm also accustomed to working in a big public hospital with underserved etc., so the fact that new haven has more than its fair share of poverty, crime, etc. is actually a big plus for me.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
the fact that new haven has more than its fair share of poverty, crime, etc. is actually a big plus for me.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
lol, i get what you're saying but im guessing you didnt put it this way in your interview.
thanks for the thorough answer! congrats!!
Waitlisted to the MD-PhD program. Anyone know if there's any differences from the md phd waitlist and the md only waitlist? Is it ranked also?
And if it were ranked, would updates improve your ranking if sent before the tiers come out (in may?)
Also, since the md phd students are about 20% of the class, would it be right to assume that the waitlist is 20% md phd students?
Thanks everyone! And good luck to all those as myself still sticking it out
+1 waitlist and also would like to know if updates could potentially improve your ranking before the tiers come out?
All right folks: dropping knowledge here. I know for a fact that the WL is ranked. You are separated into 3 groups (tiers). The first tier is where the movement is in May right after the response deadline. *raises hand* (me!!!) Tons of movement throughout May, the list moves fast because not everyone extended a WL offer will accept. Then Silverman will email those remaining in June to let them know which group their in and he also includes an honest explanation of your chances at that stage. Really a swell guy all around.
I know less for a fact, but pretty confidently, that the WL ranks are already set and they don't move. Now, are they set already or will they be set next week? I don't hang around the admissions office much but from what I've heard, the committee ranked the WL at the same time it accepted everyone during the final meetings over the past few weeks. Maybe there are some supplemental meetings to finalize the WL that are still to come.
I know less for a fact, but pretty confidently, that the WL ranks are already set and they don't move. Now, are they set already or will they be set next week? I don't hang around the admissions office much but from what I've heard, the committee ranked the WL at the same time it accepted everyone during the final meetings over the past few weeks. Maybe there are some supplemental meetings to finalize the WL that are still to come.
This school is definitely my top choice even amongst other top tier schools I interviewed at but it's tempting to send a LOI to a school that's more likely to take me :/
Sent from my Redmi Pro using SDN mobile
Sent from my Redmi Pro using SDN mobile
This school is definitely my top choice even amongst other top tier schools I interviewed at but it's tempting to send a LOI to a school that's more likely to take me :/
Sent from my Redmi Pro using SDN mobile
Send them both a LOI
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Letter of interest or letter of intent? I hear you should only send a letter of intent to one school
Sent from my Redmi Pro using SDN mobile
Letter of interest or letter of intent? I hear you should only send a letter of intent to one school
Sent from my Redmi Pro using SDN mobile
I should have specified that I meant interest. It would be poor form to send an intent to more than one school even though they aren't binding.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yeah I agreeI should have specified that I meant interest. It would be poor form to send an intent to more than one school even though they aren't binding.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks!
Sent from my Redmi Pro using SDN mobile
so I sent a letter of intent to Yale in mid to late February saying that if I was accepted I would go...Unfortunately I was waitlisted. Should I wait a while until around April 30th and send in another letter of intent? I believe I'll have a significant update (first author pub and oral presentation) to go along with it at that time. Or should I just leave it be since I already sent in one letter of intent
First author pub? I'd say go for it.so I sent a letter of intent to Yale in mid to late February saying that if I was accepted I would go...Unfortunately I was waitlisted. Should I wait a while until around April 30th and send in another letter of intent? I believe I'll have a significant update (first author pub and oral presentation) to go along with it at that time. Or should I just leave it be since I already sent in one letter of intent
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K