-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Michigan State University
Started by Lucca
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Dr. Maurer called 7:54pm, Accepted! I seriously cannot believe it. Absolutely will be enrolling, loved the school based on its mission, fell madly in love on interview day. Interviewed 10/27 on rural day!
Yay! So glad for you!
So so happy for you too! I look forward to meeting everyone in the fall!Yay! So glad for you!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II, complete 9/13
When is your interview?II, complete 9/13
Placed on alternate list today, a little disappointed as CHM is my top pick. Interviewed on 10/27 - Rural day in East Lansing. I plan on uploading a letter of continued interest, an update on my activities, and a letter of evaluation from my supervisor at my job (Nurse Tech).
Anyone have any other suggestions of what to do to show my continued interest in CHM?
Anyone have any other suggestions of what to do to show my continued interest in CHM?
Early Feb!When is your interview?
Has anyone who applied to the LMU program heard back for an II or an acceptance?
I applied to LMU and was accepted last night! (however I'm pretty sure the LMU decisions are made separately in the spring)Has anyone who applied to the LMU program heard back for an II or an acceptance?
I applied to LMU and was accepted last night! (however I'm pretty sure the LMU decisions are made separately in the spring)
End of April at the latest for LRM if I remember from interview day! I think LMU was given the same general deadline!
NiceThe MMIs were interesting. They were designed to be fun and engaging, which I think they were; it's just that, personally, MMIs are not my strong suit. The website gave general tips on how to prepare, which were kind of helpful, but I'm a generally anxious person, and that multiplies 10-fold when I don't know what I'm walking into. Overall, I think they went okay, but there were two stations that I just felt didn't go super well and I keep replaying it over and over again in my head lol it's actually torture. The student interview was super relaxing and comforting though. As someone who does better with one-on-ones, I enjoyed it a lot.
Many of the MMI questions were designed to assess your empathy, compassion, and problem solving ability, but I also think a large part of it also evaluates your ability to effectively communicate those traits in a concise manner. While I think I was able portray those traits in my answers, I think my communication style definitely needs work. When I get nervous in high-pressure situations, I tend to talk fast and trip over my words.
My advice is that if you're a generally good person (which they believe you are or else wouldn't have invited you to interview) then don't worry about *what* you're going to say, those traits will come out in your answers once you read the prompt and gather your thoughts - instead practice *how* you're going to say them. I would take the website's advice in practicing your communication skills. Maybe look up a few MMI scenarios, and instead of worrying about memorizing an answer or a specific scenario, focus on how well you are communicating your point (in a time and pressurized environment). I think I would have really benefited from practicing that more.
Were you the girl from grand rapids?? LolInterviewed here today. Awesome campus and promising curriculum. Now anxiously awaiting my decision 😳
Rejected just now 00S underrepresented in medicine strong ties to the state 503 MCAT and 3.68 GPA
holy **** ya'll im sure this has been brought up before but "unsuccessful application" in the subject line is so damn mean wow
Rejected just now 00S underrepresented in medicine strong ties to the state 503 MCAT and 3.68 GPA
Sorry to hear.. What was your guys' completion date, if you don't mind sharing?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
October 2Sorry to hear.. What was your guys' completion date, if you don't mind sharing?
October 2
What! I guess at least they got back to you in a timely manner.. I've been stuck in "forwarded to preliminary review" since I submitted in August. 🙁
early/mid september edit: at least you're still in the running bro lolSorry to hear.. What was your guys' completion date, if you don't mind sharing?
early/mid september edit: at least you're still in the running bro lol
That's true, I'm so sorry. I just can't help but feel as though my app was passed over and/or got lost, and hasn't been read at all.
Lol yeah, though idk how telling that is since there were a lot of girls at the GR interview lolWere you the girl from grand rapids?? Lol
Sorry to hear about the rejections!
Please fill out the rejection survey and share these links in other threads:
Link to survey: 2017-2018 Rejection survey
Link to results: 2017-2018 Rejection Survey Data
Please fill out the rejection survey and share these links in other threads:
Link to survey: 2017-2018 Rejection survey
Link to results: 2017-2018 Rejection Survey Data
Lol you talked to me on the elevator and I told you I kept laughing at one of the stations.. LolLol yeah, though idk how telling that is since there were a lot of girls at the GR interview lol
So my application was marked "forwarded for preliminary review on 8/2/17" and literally hasn't changed since. It looks like people are placed on hold and I'm thinking that would result in a changed status on the portal... Did I seriously mess up or something?
Are you IS or OOS?So my application was marked "forwarded for preliminary review on 8/2/17" and literally hasn't changed since. It looks like people are placed on hold and I'm thinking that would result in a changed status on the portal... Did I seriously mess up or something?
OOS!Are you IS or OOS?
holy **** ya'll im sure this has been brought up before but "unsuccessful application" in the subject line is so damn mean wow
Wait, really? No way... I'm sorry. That's rough.
Damn sorry, I know they look at IS files first. I hope you hear back soon!OOS!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No one interviews for the ABLE program. It's a decision given to applicants post-interview by the committee. As it was explained to us, its for students that the committee feels are a good fit for the school, but are lacking a bit in their academics. If you're referred to the program, you are automatically given a seat in the program (no need for further interviews). And if you complete the year-long program with a certain GPA (I think 3.5?) you are granted acceptance/admission to the medical school for the following year.Has anyone heard anything about the ABLE program? I know it's a post-interview decision but I'm curious if they interview people they are considering for that on a specific day or if it's done throughout the cycle
Are you saying once you're referred for the ABLE program, you're automatically in??No one interviews for the ABLE program. It's a decision given to applicants post-interview by the committee. As it was explained to us, its for students that the committee feels are a good fit for the school, but are lacking a bit in their academics. If you're referred to the program, you are automatically given a seat in the program (no need for further interviews). And if you complete the year-long program with a certain GPA (I think 3.5?) you are granted acceptance/admission to the medical school for the following year.
Once you're referred to the ABLE program, a seat is automatically reserved for you, yes. Obviously up to you whether or not you take it. But you are only in the ABLE program. You have to successfully complete the program (again, I think 3.5 gpa??) to matriculate into the medical school.Are you saying once you're referred for the ABLE program, you're automatically in??
WOW thats an awesome Program!!!!!Once you're referred to the ABLE program, a seat is automatically reserved for you, yes. Obviously up to you whether or not you take it. But you are only in the ABLE program. You have to successfully complete the program (again, I think 3.5 gpa??) to matriculate into the medical school.
Yeah, it really is! Dr. Mauer said it's the only program of its kind too - no other school has one like it. 🙂WOW thats an awesome Program!!!!!
Rejected just now after being on hold pre-II. In-state. Thought I'd maybe get at least one interview from one of my state schools...
Rejected just now pre-II. OOS. Had the "forwarded for preliminary review" status since being complete in August. Email title is pretty unnecessary so if anyone on committee is reading this.. Something to improve on for next year. 🙂
Good luck to everyone else in the running!
Good luck to everyone else in the running!
Rejected just now pre-II. OOS. Had the "forwarded for preliminary review" status since being complete in August. Email title is pretty unnecessary so if anyone on committee is reading this.. Something to improve on for next year. 🙂
Good luck to everyone else in the running!
what is the email title? sorry to hear that... I'm in the same boat and am just waiting for the impending reject 🙁
Once you're referred to the ABLE program, a seat is automatically reserved for you, yes. Obviously up to you whether or not you take it. But you are only in the ABLE program. You have to successfully complete the program (again, I think 3.5 gpa??) to matriculate into the medical school.
Sorry, this isn't quite true. Once referred to the ABLE program, your application is sent to the ABLE committee.Who will then admit about 10 students into the program in June. If they can successfully complete the program, they recieve a spot in the mext years class.
what is the email title? sorry to hear that... I'm in the same boat and am just waiting for the impending reject 🙁
"MSU CHM: Unsuccessful Application" LOL.
Best of luck to you!!
That's weird, when I asked Dr. Mauer for clarification about the ABLE program, he ensured me that once you're referred, a seat is reserved for you.Sorry, this isn't quite true. Once referred to the ABLE program, your application is sent to the ABLE committee.Who will then admit about 10 students into the program in June. If they can successfully complete the program, they recieve a spot in the mext years class.
That's weird, when I asked Dr. Mauer for clarification about the ABLE program, he ensured me that once you're referred, a seat is reserved for you.
My source is ABLE students. About 50-100 students get recommended and only 10ish get in.
Weird - maybe Dr. Mauer was mistakenMy source is ABLE students. About 50-100 students get recommended and only 10ish get in.

The only reason why I asked about the program is because I don't want to be considered for it since I already have an offer at another school. I'm not sure if there is a way to express that at my interview without coming across as rude. I honestly thought the program was cool when I heard about it but I wouldn't choose that over a seat in a medical school classWeird - maybe Dr. Mauer was mistaken![]()
That definitely makes sense. But in the event you are referred to ABLE, you can always politely decline in favor of your acceptance. I wouldn't express your disinterest in the program at the interview, just for fear of how it may come across to others. Just go in, do your best in the interviews, and know that you have an acceptance to fall back on if it doesn't work out in your favor. 🙂The only reason why I asked about the program is because I don't want to be considered for it since I already have an offer at another school. I'm not sure if there is a way to express that at my interview without coming across as rude. I honestly thought the program was cool when I heard about it but I wouldn't choose that over a seat in a medical school class
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"MSU CHM: Unsuccessful Application" LOL.
Best of luck to you!!
lol i feel you....i've been complete since mid july as well and silence. the silence sucks major LOL but good to know they are at least sending out pre-II rejections sooner than stringing peeps along til the end of the cycle. my stats are w/e as well haha LM mid 60s blahhhhComplete since 7/14. Granted my stats are ****ty but why can't they just reject me instead of stringing me alone 🙁
Not sure when they actually meet, but Dr. Maurer seems to mostly call between 7-9:30pm. That's when I received my call!Does anyone know what time the committee usually meets?
EDIT: He also said that they had "just finished meeting" so I assume he calls right as they finish.