2017-2018 Michigan State University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The Prompts are as follow ( word limit for all are 250)
1. The College of Human Medicine has implemented a curriculum referred to as the Shared Discovery Curriculum. Explain which of your attributes/strengths will assist in your success in this curriculum. Explain how you will address any challenges it might pose for you. Please limit your response to 250 words or less.
2. Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.
3. If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.
There are optional essays based on different programmes one would want to do, however, I cant see any of them because I can't select any of the options
@Lucca @WedgeDawg
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree, I just got a secondary, but there was no option to pay for the fee. Is this something they could fix this weekend, or would we have to wait until Monday to even get a reply?
 
I do. I'm pretty sure the website is down because I can see everything but not input any information.
The Prompts are as follow ( word limit for all are 250)
1. The College of Human Medicine has implemented a curriculum referred to as the Shared Discovery Curriculum. Explain which of your attributes/strengths will assist in your success in this curriculum. Explain how you will address any challenges it might pose for you. Please limit your response to 250 words or less.
2. Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.
3. If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.
There are optional essays based on different programmes one would want to do, however, I cant see any of them because I can't select any of the options
@Lucca @WedgeDawg
 
Last edited:
I do. I'm pretty sure the website is down because I can see everything but not input any information.
The Prompts are as follow ( word limit for all are 250)
1. The College of Human Medicine has implemented a curriculum referred to as the Shared Discovery Curriculum. Explain which of your attributes/strengths will assist in your success in this curriculum. Explain how you will address any challenges it might pose for you. Please limit your response to 250 words or less.
2. Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.
3. If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.
There are optional essays based on different programmes one would want to do, however, I cant see any of them because I can't select any of the options
@Lucca @WedgeDawg
Thank you!
 
I do. I'm pretty sure the website is down because I can see everything but not input any information.
The Prompts are as follow ( word limit for all are 250)
1. The College of Human Medicine has implemented a curriculum referred to as the Shared Discovery Curriculum. Explain which of your attributes/strengths will assist in your success in this curriculum. Explain how you will address any challenges it might pose for you. Please limit your response to 250 words or less.
2. Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.
3. If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.
There are optional essays based on different programmes one would want to do, however, I cant see any of them because I can't select any of the options
@Lucca @WedgeDawg
Bless you. Not sure why but so many schools I'm applying to are having troubles with their secondaries working properly. Wonder if there is a larger issue going on..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So what kind of stuff are you guys putting for the last one? Would a diversity essay or why MSU work?
 
Yo is anyone else "on hold"? On my portal is says:

"Your application has been reviewed and is on hold for comparison to the larger applicant pool. Your status will change after an interview decision is made"

like does everyone's say that or am I actually on hold? Do people have II yet?
 
Yo is anyone else "on hold"? On my portal is says:

"Your application has been reviewed and is on hold for comparison to the larger applicant pool. Your status will change after an interview decision is made"

like does everyone's say that or am I actually on hold? Do people have II yet?

nope, mine still says "Forwarded for Preliminary Review on 7/12/2017"
 
Yo is anyone else "on hold"? On my portal is says:

"Your application has been reviewed and is on hold for comparison to the larger applicant pool. Your status will change after an interview decision is made"

like does everyone's say that or am I actually on hold? Do people have II yet?
When were you complete? Mine still says forwarded for preliminary review
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When were you complete? Mine still says forwarded for preliminary review
Mine was forwarded 7/10, just got this update today. Surprised no in state love 🙁Some people on past threads say it doesn't mean much but others say they literally don't look at you again until Janurary. Who knows!
 
Mine was forwarded 7/10, just got this update today. Surprised no in state love 🙁Some people on past threads say it doesn't mean much but others say they literally don't look at you again until Janurary. Who knows!
Stay positive, no rejection means it is not game over yet. You never know what could happen. We are all in this together and will be doctors in the end!
 
For the second one, "Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn?"

Would talking about non-medically or non-academic related experience be appropriate?
 
For the second one, "Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn?"

Would talking about non-medically or non-academic related experience be appropriate?
I talked about something very non-medical/non-academic! I think they're mostly interested in whether or not you can maturely describe your experiences/thoughts/introspection regarding the situation. Something academic might even seem sort of boring but idk just my 2 cents
 
how did you guys answer #3 If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you?

Diversity Question?
 
IS & LM 66 w/ a **** ton of research. Hoping this is a common thing that happens after review and that I'm not completely out of the game.

Also from a super rural area, was hoping that would help a bit.

EDIT: also did not realize SDN stars out profanities, that is hilarious.
We seem to be very similar applicant. I'm IS, Rural, LM 66 w/ a ton of clinical research experience. I was complete 7/12 so I'm not gonna lie I'm a little nervous about being put on hold too because we are so similar. I hope both of us end up getting an interview eventually though! I also applied for Leadership in Medicine for the Underserved.
 
We seem to be very similar applicant. I'm IS, Rural, LM 66 w/ a ton of clinical research experience. I was complete 7/12 so I'm not gonna lie I'm a little nervous about being put on hold too because we are so similar. I hope both of us end up getting an interview eventually though! I also applied for Leadership in Medicine for the Underserved.
Your stats and background are the exact same as mine too and I'm not on hold either.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad