-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Michigan State University
Started by Lucca
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Ahh congrats! When did you interview??JUST GOT THE ACCEPTANCE CALL (like a half hour ago)! I'm so excited!! 😀
Thank you!! and December 1st at the East Lansing campus!Ahh congrats! When did you interview??
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nice! I'm Dec 4th, so hopefully I'm not far behindThank you!! and December 1st at the East Lansing campus!
D
deleted894998
Got my acceptance about an hour ago! Interviewed in East Lansing on December 1st for Rural Day. Best of luck to all of you!
Interviewed Dec 1 now anxious lol
Do you guys know when the official Facebook group will be available for the accepted students?
I'm really just hoping Dr. Maurer wasn't able to call everyone yesterday and we'll get some unexpected portal updates today because I would love to hear back before next month.... I don't even care if it's an R, I just want to know at this point lol
Log into Facebook | FacebookDo you guys know when the official Facebook group will be available for the accepted students?
So I've been referred to the ABLE program and I'm very grateful for that but I feel like I'm in a bit of a predicament....I absolutely love MSU CHM and it's been my dream school for a long time so I'm very excited there's still a possibility that I could attend, however I've already been accepted to MSUCOM and now I'm trying to rack my brain and figure out if the ABLE program is something I'd like to pursue, or if I should attend MSUCOM as I have an acceptance there. I'm really looking for any input or opinions, feeling very conflicted here!
Thanks guys!🙂
Thanks guys!🙂
Hmm. My best advice to think about the type of physician you want to be. As I understand it, a DO degree can make it significantly harder to specialize in more competitive specialties. If you want to do something like ortho surg, derm, or something of that caliber, where it is insanely competitive, I would say go MD. If you are not sure what field you want to go into yet, I'm still going to say go with MD, only because the doors would be open for any specialty that you may fall in love with later on. However, if you are certain that you want to go into a primary care, family med, or internal med (where the MD vs. DO debate doesn't matter as much), I would say go with MSUCOM.So I've been referred to the ABLE program and I'm very grateful for that but I feel like I'm in a bit of a predicament....I absolutely love MSU CHM and it's been my dream school for a long time so I'm very excited there's still a possibility that I could attend, however I've already been accepted to MSUCOM and now I'm trying to rack my brain and figure out if the ABLE program is something I'd like to pursue, or if I should attend MSUCOM as I have an acceptance there. I'm really looking for any input or opinions, feeling very conflicted here!
Thanks guys!🙂
You have two great options so just take some time and figure out what would be best for you. For example, two years ago, my friend (MI native) was accepted to MSUCOM and also a really decent (OOS) MD school. She chose MSUCOM because she has been dead set on practicing family medicine for a long time and knew it was what she wanted to do. To her, paying OOS tuition for an MD degree that would've made a negligible difference in her specialty did not make sense (and I agree with her decision).
So yeah, it's all about what you want to do with your degree. In the grand scheme of things, pushing things back one year (via ABLE) is not a big deal at all. With all of that said, you could obviously still do DO and go for a competitive specialty, it's just my understanding it'll be a harder road to tread - but, hey some people are definitely up for that challenge. Either way you have two great options, so just give some thought as to what is important to you.
Hope this helps! 🙂
Hmm. My best advice to think about the type of physician you want to be. As I understand it, a DO degree can make it significantly harder to specialize in more competitive specialties. If you want to do something like ortho surg, derm, or something of that caliber, where it is insanely competitive, I would say go MD. If you are not sure what field you want to go into yet, I'm still going to say go with MD, only because the doors would be open for any specialty that you may fall in love with later on. However, if you are certain that you want to go into a primary care, family med, or internal med (where the MD vs. DO debate doesn't matter as much), I would say go with MSUCOM.
You have two great options so just take some time and figure out what would be best for you. For example, two years ago, my friend (MI native) was accepted to MSUCOM and also a really decent (OOS) MD school. She chose MSUCOM because she has been dead set on practicing family medicine for a long time and knew it was what she wanted to do. To her, paying OOS tuition for an MD degree that would've made a negligible difference in her specialty did not make sense (and I agree with her decision).
So yeah, it's all about what you want to do with your degree. In the grand scheme of things, pushing things back one year (via ABLE) is not a big deal at all. With all of that said, you could obviously still do DO and go for a competitive specialty, it's just my understanding it'll be a harder road to tread - but, hey some people are definitely up for that challenge. Either way you have two great options, so just give some thought as to what is important to you.
Hope this helps! 🙂
THANK YOU so much!! that was very helpful and does give me some more things to think about. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!
No problem! 🙂THANK YOU so much!! that was very helpful and does give me some more things to think about. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!![]()
Is it too late for an interview at this point if we haven't heard anything since submitting?
Is it too late for an interview at this point if we haven't heard anything since submitting?
Fwiw, my friend is an M4 here. She didn't get an interview invite until January
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a friend who submitted her secondary ON the deadline, interviewed in March, currently an M2. Don’t lose hope just yet!Is it too late for an interview at this point if we haven't heard anything since submitting?
Anyone else hear back from Dec 1 interview ?
I have an interview at both MSU COM and MSU CHM 24th and 26th, respectively. Does anyone know if they're on the same campus or how the schools are connected? I'm OOS.
I'm in state and interviewed at both schools this cycle. COM only interviews in EL on the MSU campus. CHM interviews both in EL and in Grand Rapids, your interview invite email would say which one you are interviewing at. If your CHM interview is in EL then in terms of hotel accommodations etc. the interview sites are very close, COM's being in Fee Hall and CHM's in the radiology building. In terms of connections between the schools, they share some facilities in East Lansing but admission-wise and administratively they are completely distinct medical schools. Hope this helps!I have an interview at both MSU COM and MSU CHM 24th and 26th, respectively. Does anyone know if they're on the same campus or how the schools are connected? I'm OOS.
Any word on when the hold applicants will be re-reviewed?
Welp just got rejected, and advised to "initiate my plans for improvement as soon as possible"- Lmao
were you previously on hold?Welp just got rejected, and advised to "initiate my plans for improvement as soon as possible"- Lmao
Rejected today post-secondary, pre-II (never put on hold either). This was the first I've heard from this school since being complete back in mid-July. In case anyone cares, I was an OOS applicant and nontrad with lots and lots of medical research experience and publications. LM mid 60s blah...
good luck to everyone else~
good luck to everyone else~
Rejected today post-secondary, pre-II (never put on hold either). This was the first I've heard from this school since being complete back in mid-July. In case anyone cares, I was an OOS applicant and nontrad with lots and lots of medical research experience and publications. LM mid 60s blah...
good luck to everyone else~
did your portal change when you recieved the rejected or did they just send you an email?
I did on January 8th!Has anyone who's been accepted already received the email with the information to initiate the background check yet?
My interview is on 1/26... any tips for MMIs/overall interview day?
When did you get accepted? Do you think its based on that date or do you think I should call and ask?I did on January 8th!
11/14. I would guess based on date as that makes sense to me, but if you get nothing by the end of January then maybe call then? I'm sure they won't forget, lmao. They will definitely get a background check done on you.When did you get accepted? Do you think its based on that date or do you think I should call and ask?
Haha okay true. Thanks for your advice/help though!11/14. I would guess based on date as that makes sense to me, but if you get nothing by the end of January then maybe call then? I'm sure they won't forget, lmao. They will definitely get a background check done on you.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
got an email ><did your portal change when you recieved the rejected or did they just send you an email?
No problem! Trust me, when people were getting them at the beginning of January I was confused about where mine was!Haha okay true. Thanks for your advice/help though!
*PSA*:There is a thread going on with a few people saying they haven't received an email when it had been sent, so they called and got it resent! You might want to call Certiphi just in case the email didn't get to you! Check your spam!Haha okay true. Thanks for your advice/help though!
AMCAS Background Check Thread
Certiphi Contact
Anyone have stats on how many people get interviews in January after being put on hold?
Was put on hold early Dec, silence since...
Same here. Such a great school.Interviewing here on Monday! Absolutely in love with this program already, hoping for an acceptance here more than anything! Any general advice & tips for the day?
Interviewing here on Monday! Absolutely in love with this program already, hoping for an acceptance here more than anything! Any general advice & tips for the day?
Be yourself! I was worried about answering questions "correctly," so I almost was going to softball everything and answer with careful, yet passive consideration. However, I had real, visceral reactions to a few questions and I went hard and ranted about stuff and let my passions show with my heart on my sleeve. Apparently it worked out!
I'm sure they want "real" people. Anybody can consider both sides and give a vague "non-answer", but make sure you take a stand if you want to or feel like you should! Be a person and have feelings, but think things through. They seemed like they wanted me to do well and it was a very relaxing environment. You'll do well if you be yourself!
One on one is open file!Interviewing here on Monday! Is the one on one open or closed file? (I’m sorry if someone asked this before. I tried to read through the thread)
Anyone get their formal acceptances yet? I released my criminal background a few days ago
Two Questions:
1. Anyone receive an II after being on the "hold" status?
2. Anyone have success in sending them an update email? (Took some courses this semester that I would love to brag about)
1. Anyone receive an II after being on the "hold" status?
2. Anyone have success in sending them an update email? (Took some courses this semester that I would love to brag about)
Anyone get their formal acceptances yet? I released my criminal background a few days ago
I haven't even got my background check back yet! I submitted mine last Monday afternoon/night and haven't gotten it back. I don't know what the hold up is!
Last edited:
Interviewed here today! The MMIs are so fun. My student interview had a very laid back feel that kind of threw me off a bit. It was a fun day though. If you are traveling, I would recommend staying at the Hampton. It’s like a mile down the road from the med school and it was super easy to get to and from. The hotel was clean with a good breakfast, comfy beds, and covered parking so my car wasn’t snow covered in the morning.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At interview day today, they said they added a committee meeting tomorrow to catch up with the fall semester interview decisions!Anyone else holding their breath for next week?
Woahhh way to raise my blood pressureAt interview day today, they said they added a committee meeting tomorrow to catch up with the fall semester interview decisions!
Eeeek sorry!Woahhh way to raise my blood pressure
Is there any crossover in education with the osteopathic school?