2017-2018 Michigan State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First time poster. Just got accepted this morning after being on the alternate list. Still shaking right now. I almost started reapplying too. There is still hope!!! And also I sent them a letter of interest, so it doesn't hurt.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
First time poster. Just got accepted this morning after being on the alternate list. Still shaking right now. I almost started reapplying too. There is still hope!!! And also I sent them a letter of interest, so it doesn't hurt.
was it a call or an email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!!! When were you placed on the alternate list?

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted off waiting list this morning but somehow cannot get over that out-of-state tuition... 87k?!

So I will most likely be withdrawing. Best of luck to those also on the waiting list!! Hope this spot goes to someone deserving!

Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't out of state tuition 58k and estimated cost of attendance 87k?

So I'm in a pickle. I got accepted to MSU COM which starts June 6th! (OMGEE) but I got referred to ABLE and waiting on a decision until June 8th! What do ya'll think I should do? Does ABLE tell people their status before the assigned date? HELP.

So I'm in a pickle. I got accepted to MSU COM which starts June 6th! (OMGEE) but I got referred to ABLE and waiting on a decision until June 8th! What do ya'll think I should do? Does ABLE tell people their status before the assigned date? HELP.

Congratulations! Well you have to weigh your options. ABLE takes an extra year which is comparable to losing a year of experience/salary as a physician. However, if you're going for specialties like derm/plastics, the MD may give you the extra boost you need. IMO I'd take the acceptance and run since I probably wont go for a super competitive specialty, but it depends on your own goals.

Hey everyone! I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall. I'm currently looking at apartments in the area and would like to room with other guys. If you're interested, shoot me a message and we can talk!

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats! I'm wondering if there will be other ABLE applicants in a similar situation, having a tough time gauging my odds for an ABLE acceptance :/

Congrats! I'm wondering if there will be other ABLE applicants in a similar situation, having a tough time gauging my odds for an ABLE acceptance :/

Thank you! I've been doing some digging on the ABLE program and it seems like they refer 30-40 ppl and they accept about 20 ppl and around 15-10 matriculate as people turn it down. So I pray the odds are in our favor. Do you know if ABLE prefers Michigan residents...I'm OOS?

Thank you! I've been doing some digging on the ABLE program and it seems like they refer 30-40 ppl and they accept about 20 ppl and around 15-10 matriculate as people turn it down. So I pray the odds are in our favor. Do you know if ABLE prefers Michigan residents...I'm OOS?

Absolutely no idea, but would assume there's little or no preference. I don't know how I'm gonna wait another 3 weeks !!!

Any updates on the alternate list anyone? Has anyone contacted the admissions office?

Thanks!

Any updates on the alternate list anyone? Has anyone contacted the admissions office?

Thanks!
I emailed them last week and they said their class is full. The only time they’ll be pulling people off the alternate list is if someone withdraws :(

I emailed them last week and they said their class is full. The only time they’ll be pulling people off the alternate list is if someone withdraws :(

Shouldn't they have already withdrawn by the 30th of April? Ahh I'm so confused! By any chance would you know around how many people are hanging on alternate list? Like 100? or 5?

Shouldn't they have already withdrawn by the 30th of April? Ahh I'm so confused! By any chance would you know around how many people are hanging on alternate list? Like 100? or 5?
I have no idea how many people are on the list. But what I think withdrawing means is if there are students who are accepted to CHM but waitlisted to another school that they prefer over CHM. So if they were to get accepted into that program, they’d withdraw their CHM acceptance which would leave an empty seat for them to pull from the alternate list.

I’m not sure how accurate/updated it is, but MSAR says the typical number of people on the waitlist is 200.

I’m not sure how accurate/updated it is, but MSAR says the typical number of people on the waitlist is 200.
Ah! Soo many! :(

I have no idea how many people are on the list. But what I think withdrawing means is if there are students who are accepted to CHM but waitlisted to another school that they prefer over CHM. So if they were to get accepted into that program, they’d withdraw their CHM acceptance which would leave an empty seat for them to pull from the alternate list.
Makes sense.

Thanks all!

Hi!!! I was wondering if any of you are open to renting a 2bed 2 bath apartment with me. It is less than 3 miles from campus in E Lansing. and only $525 a month with your own bedroom and bathroom. Vaulted ceiling so it is very quiet, plenty of parking, in unit washer/dryer, central AC, water/sewer/trash included, gym included.
Let me know and I can send you photos! I do have cats so cat lovers only please. :) They are kind of like dogs though...

Just curious, what did you end up deciding?

Any updates on the ABLE program yet?

Any updates on the ABLE program yet?

I got worried when I hadn't heard anything. I just called Ms. Ruth Patino and she confirmed that they would be out today, possibly even after 5 PM.

Just got the call and was accepted off the waitlist. I’ve already matriculated to another school so I declined. Good luck to the next person on the list!

The MMIs were interesting. They were designed to be fun and engaging, which I think they were; it's just that, personally, MMIs are not my strong suit. The website gave general tips on how to prepare, which were kind of helpful, but I'm a generally anxious person, and that multiplies 10-fold when I don't know what I'm walking into. Overall, I think they went okay, but there were two stations that I just felt didn't go super well and I keep replaying it over and over again in my head lol it's actually torture. The student interview was super relaxing and comforting though. As someone who does better with one-on-ones, I enjoyed it a lot.

Many of the MMI questions were designed to assess your empathy, compassion, and problem solving ability, but I also think a large part of it also evaluates your ability to effectively communicate those traits in a concise manner. While I think I was able portray those traits in my answers, I think my communication style definitely needs work. When I get nervous in high-pressure situations, I tend to talk fast and trip over my words.

My advice is that if you're a generally good person (which they believe you are or else wouldn't have invited you to interview) then don't worry about *what* you're going to say, those traits will come out in your answers once you read the prompt and gather your thoughts - instead practice *how* you're going to say them. I would take the website's advice in practicing your communication skills. Maybe look up a few MMI scenarios, and instead of worrying about memorizing an answer or a specific scenario, focus on how well you are communicating your point (in a time and pressurized environment). I think I would have really benefited from practicing that more.
I have an interview coming up and just like you am better with one on one. Do we need to know ethics for this MMI?

I have an interview coming up and just like you am better with one on one. Do we need to know ethics for this MMI?
Yeah there were some questions that centered on ethics. It's all fair game