You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Western Michigan University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Applying as OOS!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OOS as well! does anyone happen to know how many students they plan on accepting next fall? I heard 50 for their first year, but I'm assuming it will be more for our cycle...
How many students are accepted annually? For the first class that begins in the fall of 2014, we anticipate accepting approximately 50 students. Each year the entering class size will grow by eight students per year until we reach approximately 80 students in each entering class.
so 58, as we'd be 2nd class [hopefully]
Still on waitlist for the first years class, but applying again. @TheThirdLevel ,any movement u aware of?
Applying OOS. Good luck everyone!
No not really I haven't been paying attention since i'm set to matriculate elsewhere.Still on waitlist for the first years class, but applying again. @TheThirdLevel ,any movement u aware of?
+1 OOS. Lookin' for some love. Best of luck to all you mates.
Applying in state! good luck to everyone!
Need some holistic in-state love
Applying OOS as well! Hope to get some love!![]()
The first year class (of which I'm a part) looks to be majority out-of-state (based on the facebook group). They give special preference to graduates of WMU and Kalamazoo College, but not to other in-state schools or in-state residents. You'll be fine as an OOS applicant since you're viewed exactly the same as an in-state applicant. In fact, I'd recommend dispensing with that terminology completely (for this school). Good luck!
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Applying here!
Thanks for the info! How was/is interview day? How much emphasis do they out on research? Thanks!The first year class (of which I'm a part) looks to be majority out-of-state (based on the facebook group). They give special preference to graduates of WMU and Kalamazoo College, but not to other in-state schools or in-state residents. You'll be fine as an OOS applicant since you're viewed exactly the same as an in-state applicant. In fact, I'd recommend dispensing with that terminology completely (for this school). Good luck!
Thanks for the info! How was/is interview day? How much emphasis do they out on research? Thanks!
Interview day was pretty great. Just be yourself, be honest/friendly, and be relaxed. There's a phone screen interview first - think of it as a chance for the school to learn more about you as a person (a chance to make you an even more attractive candidate). The in-person interview is MMI, and at least my year they chose some really nice/cool people. That helped me relax a lot.
My experiences at interview day and interacting with the faculty/staff/community members is actually what sealed this school for me over 3 others.
From my experience at interviews this past cycle, they don't focus on research as much as a lot of schools do. One evidence of this is that they don't have a summer break after the first or second years for students to do a research project. Instead, breaks are dispersed throughout the year, usually during subject transitions. This curriculum map might help you better understand what I'm saying.Thanks for the info! How was/is interview day? How much emphasis do they out on research? Thanks!
BTW, I am still on the waitlist for the last cycle, but am submitting my AMCAS this week since I don't anticipate any more waitlist movement.
This is a phenomenal school with a great mission, I am applying OOS. Best of luck to you all!
Thanks for answering my questions! I'm looking forward to hopefully interviewing in KalamazooFrom my experience at interviews this past cycle, they don't focus on research as much as a lot of schools do. One evidence of this is that they don't have a summer break after the first or second years for students to do a research project. Instead, breaks are dispersed throughout the year, usually during subject transitions. This curriculum map might help you better understand what I'm saying.
BTW, I am still on the waitlist for the last cycle, but am submitting my AMCAS this week since I don't anticipate any more waitlist movement.
Where do you all see this school 10 years from now? Here are my thoughts:
ADVANTAGES
They are affiliated with two large and well established teaching hospitals. In addition, the Stryker cooperation (one of the largest manufactures of medical equipment in the US) has demonstrated that it will provide continued support to the new school.
They have a new state-of-the-art campus (with a large research complex) that was donated to them by MPI research, and which was renovated using $100m from an anonymous donor. The building is the very building in which Motrin, Xanax, Halcion, and other drugs were discovered, indicating that the region has a long history of research.
WMed already has an established residency training program in Kalamazoo, which demonstrates that the area has a strong history of medical education.
They are a private school that is not obligated to give preference to IS applicants (with the exception of the two local colleges) and so they have the ability to pick strong applicants from a national applicant pool.
They are new school that is full of energy, and they have made it clear that they are not afraid to change how medical education is delivered (which may be good or bad).
DISADVANTAGES
It is very expensive, with tuition currently set at 50k a year, which may deter some bright students from accepting an offer of admission.
It is a new school without a reputation, which may make it difficult if you want to match into a competitive residency. The first few classes will also have to be patient as the school settles down and works out its kinks.
Students are expected to take USMLE step 1 during their third year, which may either be advantageous or disadvantageous depending on the student. Most other schools take the USMLE step 1 after their second year.
Currently the school only holds preliminary accreditation with the LCME, meaning that students are ineligible to take out federal loans. They expect to become accredited within the next two years, and students are expected to take out private loans during this time.
There are obvious advantages and disadvantages with this school, but it seems to me that this school is well positioned to succeed. I thus expect that 10 years from now WMed will have earned a name for itself. I will definitely be applying to this school! Does anybody else have any other thoughts?
ADVANTAGES
They are affiliated with two large and well established teaching hospitals. In addition, the Stryker cooperation (one of the largest manufactures of medical equipment in the US) has demonstrated that it will provide continued support to the new school.
They have a new state-of-the-art campus (with a large research complex) that was donated to them by MPI research, and which was renovated using $100m from an anonymous donor. The building is the very building in which Motrin, Xanax, Halcion, and other drugs were discovered, indicating that the region has a long history of research.
WMed already has an established residency training program in Kalamazoo, which demonstrates that the area has a strong history of medical education.
They are a private school that is not obligated to give preference to IS applicants (with the exception of the two local colleges) and so they have the ability to pick strong applicants from a national applicant pool.
They are new school that is full of energy, and they have made it clear that they are not afraid to change how medical education is delivered (which may be good or bad).
DISADVANTAGES
It is very expensive, with tuition currently set at 50k a year, which may deter some bright students from accepting an offer of admission.
It is a new school without a reputation, which may make it difficult if you want to match into a competitive residency. The first few classes will also have to be patient as the school settles down and works out its kinks.
Students are expected to take USMLE step 1 during their third year, which may either be advantageous or disadvantageous depending on the student. Most other schools take the USMLE step 1 after their second year.
Currently the school only holds preliminary accreditation with the LCME, meaning that students are ineligible to take out federal loans. They expect to become accredited within the next two years, and students are expected to take out private loans during this time.
There are obvious advantages and disadvantages with this school, but it seems to me that this school is well positioned to succeed. I thus expect that 10 years from now WMed will have earned a name for itself. I will definitely be applying to this school! Does anybody else have any other thoughts?
Where do you all see this school 10 years from now? Here are my thoughts:
ADVANTAGES
They are affiliated with two large and well established teaching hospitals. In addition, the Stryker cooperation (one of the largest manufactures of medical equipment in the US) has demonstrated that it will provide continued support to the new school.
They have a new state-of-the-art campus (with a large research complex) that was donated to them by MPI research, and which was renovated using $100m from an anonymous donor. The building is the very building in which Motrin, Xanax, Halcion, and other drugs were discovered, indicating that the region has a long history of research.
WMed already has an established residency training program in Kalamazoo, which demonstrates that the area has a strong history of medical education.
They are a private school that is not obligated to give preference to IS applicants (with the exception of the two local colleges) and so they have the ability to pick strong applicants from a national applicant pool.
They are new school that is full of energy, and they have made it clear that they are not afraid to change how medical education is delivered (which may be good or bad).
DISADVANTAGES
It is very expensive, with tuition currently set at 50k a year, which may deter some bright students from accepting an offer of admission.
It is a new school without a reputation, which may make it difficult if you want to match into a competitive residency. The first few classes will also have to be patient as the school settles down and works out its kinks.
Students are expected to take USMLE step 1 during their third year, which may either be advantageous or disadvantageous depending on the student. Most other schools take the USMLE step 1 after their second year.
Currently the school only holds preliminary accreditation with the LCME, meaning that students are ineligible to take out federal loans. They expect to become accredited within the next two years, and students are expected to take out private loans during this time.
There are obvious advantages and disadvantages with this school, but it seems to me that this school is well positioned to succeed. I thus expect that 10 years from now WMed will have earned a name for itself. I will definitely be applying to this school! Does anybody else have any other thoughts?
Wow, did not know this. Where are people supposed to get money to attend this school then? =O
Wow, did not know this. Where are people supposed to get money to attend this school then? =O
Private loans. Which it said in the post to which you're responding ;-)
I did a little more research into the private loan issue, and I learned that by our second year we will be eligible to take out government loans. However, the private loans don't seem that much different to government loans: They let you defer payments until after you complete residency and they offer similar interest rates.
Any word on secondaries/essay questions?
Nothing hereAny word on secondaries/essay questions?

Any word on secondaries/essay questions?
This is on their website. http://med.wmich.edu/education/students/future-students/your-application/supplemental-application
And their facebook strongly suggested pre-writing secondaries for schools at which you consider yourself a strong candidate. They even shared this article: http://prospectivedoctor.com/articles/item/326-should-i-prewrite-secondary-applications
Same as last year's!
- Describe what you bring to the practice of medicine - your values, skills, talents, and life experiences - and how you add to the cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of the medical profession.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone just get a second application received email...?
Yes, I just did. Kinda odd...Did anyone just get a second application received email...?
I got one saying my primary was received.Did anyone just get a second application received email...?
I'm hoping those were secondary invites and they just sent out the wrong email

Good point, let us hope so!I'm hoping those were secondary invites and they just sent out the wrong email![]()
Yes me too.. Same email twice.. that my app was received and to add their email to the list blah blah blah...
I just got it too, but it was my first time receiving it.
just got secondary
payment page won't load for me though!
payment page won't load for me though!
Last edited:
+1just got secondary
has anyone been able to load the payment page? I have tried three different browsers and none of them have worked.
Just received the secondary too.
I've really got to calm down. I read the subject line and was like "OH NO I'VE ALREADY BEEN REJECTED."
I've really got to calm down. I read the subject line and was like "OH NO I'VE ALREADY BEEN REJECTED."
No luck on payment here either.has anyone been able to load the payment page? I have tried three different browsers and none of them have worked.
Bummer. Same for me. Does it just stay on the "Contacting financial institution...Please wait a moment!" page for you guys? I want to get this thing submitted today!No luck on payment here either.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea same alert. I emailed the office but I am sure they are out for the day by now.Bummer. Same for me. Does it just stay on the "Contacting financial institution...Please wait a moment!" page for you guys? I want to get this thing submitted today!
Yea same alert. I emailed the office but I am sure they are out for the day by now.
yea it's broken any ways around it?
my top choice, as i've lived in kzoo for 20+ years (left for undergrad / masters). hoping to do the MD/MBA program. let's go...
what about this school makes it your top choice? what is this school known for?
Well, not sure if it can be "known" for anything yet since their first class is starting in fall. But maybe someone could say what it is expected to be like..what about this school makes it your top choice? what is this school known for?

