You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Michigan State University
Started by Lucca
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I am IS. I submitted my secondary 9/27 and got an interview on 10/11. It is scheduled for 1/26. Does anyone have any tips for the interview?
Does anyone have stats regarding how many people with pre-interview holds end up getting an II?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have stats regarding how many people with pre-interview holds end up getting an II?
My application was just put on hold. I'm wondering the same thing
I was forwarded for review 9/25, just checked my status today and said my application is on hold for comparison to a larger applicant pool, and that an interview decision will be made later on. Is this good or bad? I'm slightly excited even though hold probably means my stats aren't that great, but I'm not sure ah I want to be optimistic but I do not want to be crushed, I really loved their curriculum.
My application was just put on hold as well and it says the exact same thing
10/27 on rural day!
& thank you!
just wondering, what was special about "rural day"? I'm very interested in the rural programs but my interview is on 12/1
thanks!
just wondering, what was special about "rural day"? I'm very interested in the rural programs but my interview is on 12/1
thanks!
~1.5 hr presentation about the R-CHP and LRM programs from Dr Wendling, plus the chance to talk to students in the program and ask questions about it. Plus all the other interviewees were super cool people 🙂
Only in the event of a post-interview alternate list decisionDoes anyone know if MSUCHM accepts Letters of interests/intents/updates?
Anyone else got put on hold? Did anyone who applied before the Early Decision Delaine get their app put on hold?
Does anyone know how long they usually keep you on hold until they reach a decision for an II?
I was complete in early July and put on hold a couple weeks after that with no change in status since then
Anyone else got put on hold? Did anyone who applied before the Early Decision Delaine get their app put on hold?
Does anyone know how long they usually keep you on hold until they reach a decision for an II?
I got put on hold in mid October, and on 11/17 I got an II. So I think on hold time really varies!
I got put on hold in mid October, and on 11/17 I got an II. So I think on hold time really varies!
Thanks! 🙂 congrats on getting an II!
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there a special reason to be nervous?Anyone else feeling nervous about today?
I am kind of a newbie to SDN, but doesn’t MSU CHM typically offer a lot of acceptances Monday night? I could be completely wrong, tho
amIs there a special reason to be nervous?
Tuesday nights typically. I think they have done one Monday due to halloween. But dont worry I am also nervously awaiting my final decision. Interviewed 10/27.I am kind of a newbie to SDN, but doesn’t MSU CHM typically offer a lot of acceptances Monday night? I could be completely wrong, tho
am
Ahh ok, fellow wolverine! I interviewed 10/27, too. I wish you the best of luck!! Even if we have to wear greenTuesday nights typically. I think they have done one Monday due to halloween. But dont worry I am also nervously awaiting my final decision. Interviewed 10/27.
You as well, maybe green won't be so bad after all! 😉Ahh ok, fellow wolverine! I interviewed 10/27, too. I wish you the best of luck!! Even if we have to wear green
Has it been confirmed that those placed on hold Pre-II will not be reviewed again til January?
If you are on hold would your portal reflect this? I've just been in for review since August .. getting nervous
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
YesIf you are on hold would your portal reflect this? I've just been in for review since August .. getting nervous
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Rejected pre-II.. email at 4:21. In state, reside in Grand Rapids and Traverse City.. this one hurts. Best of luck to all of you still in it!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Rejected pre-II.. email at 4:21. In state, reside in Grand Rapids and Traverse City.. this one hurts. Best of luck to all of you still in it!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sorry to hear that. When were you complete? Because I've been complete since July and I haven't heard anything.
Complete 10/9, II 11/9 for 1/15/18
Anyone hear anything so far tonight? Seems passed the time they normally make calls but silence here
Last edited:
none of my friends who interviewed here have heard anything either...Anyone hear anything so far tonight? Seems past the time they normally make calls but silence here
Sorry to hear that. When were you complete? Because I've been complete since July and I haven't heard anything.
Complete 8/30. I submitted my secondary on 8/4, but they were waiting in an MCAT score
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone hear anything so far tonight? Seems past the time they normally make calls but silence here
none of my friends who interviewed here have heard anything either...
Nothing. :-( hopefully cause they decided to have an extra long committee meeting to get through all the candidates waiting for a decision, and then it was too late to call, so hopefully we will hear tomorrow.
Hopefully.
🤔Now THAT is some wishful thinking! Fingers crossedNothing. :-( hopefully cause they decided to have an extra long committee meeting to get through all the candidates waiting for a decision, and then it was too late to call, so hopefully we will hear tomorrow.
Hopefully.
🤔
Accepted last night at 8 pm, interviewed 10/27! Go green!
Because you might still have a shot.Complete since 7/14. Granted my stats are ****ty but why can't they just reject me instead of stringing me alone 🙁
Lettuce pray!Because you might still have a shot.
Amen, sis!Lettuce pray!
Still waiting to hear back.. glad the committee is meeting again next week and not in two weeks! Really hoping they get to the rest of us still waiting to hear.
Random, but did any other accepted applicants get a "season's greetings" ornament in the mail from MSU?
Well isn’t that just the cutest!Random, but did any other accepted applicants get a "season's greetings" ornament in the mail from MSU?
Anybody at this interview with me? 
M1 and was OOS applicant last year. I was initially placed on hold, interviewed in March and was accepted the next week 🙂 Stay strong!!! Out of the 200 people in the class, I think 10 people from my interview date got in as well. Also, if you don't already know, look up the ABLE program. For my class, everyone who did the ABLE program the previous year was able to matriculate successfully (100%).
Good luck and hope to see you all next year!
Good luck and hope to see you all next year!
No 🙁Random, but did any other accepted applicants get a "season's greetings" ornament in the mail from MSU?
There wasn't a note with it and it came from somewhere in AZ. I'm very confused...No 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How was the MMI interview format?? Did the website info help???Interviewed here today. Awesome campus and promising curriculum. Now anxiously awaiting my decision 😳
The MMIs were interesting. They were designed to be fun and engaging, which I think they were; it's just that, personally, MMIs are not my strong suit. The website gave general tips on how to prepare, which were kind of helpful, but I'm a generally anxious person, and that multiplies 10-fold when I don't know what I'm walking into. Overall, I think they went okay, but there were two stations that I just felt didn't go super well and I keep replaying it over and over again in my head lol it's actually torture. The student interview was super relaxing and comforting though. As someone who does better with one-on-ones, I enjoyed it a lot.How was the MMI interview format?? Did the website info help???
Many of the MMI questions were designed to assess your empathy, compassion, and problem solving ability, but I also think a large part of it also evaluates your ability to effectively communicate those traits in a concise manner. While I think I was able portray those traits in my answers, I think my communication style definitely needs work. When I get nervous in high-pressure situations, I tend to talk fast and trip over my words.
My advice is that if you're a generally good person (which they believe you are or else wouldn't have invited you to interview) then don't worry about *what* you're going to say, those traits will come out in your answers once you read the prompt and gather your thoughts - instead practice *how* you're going to say them. I would take the website's advice in practicing your communication skills. Maybe look up a few MMI scenarios, and instead of worrying about memorizing an answer or a specific scenario, focus on how well you are communicating your point (in a time and pressurized environment). I think I would have really benefited from practicing that more.
Thank you for the insight. My interview is January 15th. Cant wait!The MMIs were interesting. They were designed to be fun and engaging, which I think they were; it's just that, personally, MMIs are not my strong suit. The website gave general tips on how to prepare, which were kind of helpful, but I'm a generally anxious person, and that multiplies 10-fold when I don't know what I'm walking into. Overall, I think they went okay, but there were two stations that I just felt didn't go super well and I keep replaying it over and over again in my head lol it's actually torture. The student interview was super relaxing and comforting though. As someone who does better with one-on-ones, I enjoyed it a lot.
Many of the MMI questions were designed to assess your empathy, compassion, and problem solving ability, but I also think a large part of it also evaluates your ability to effectively communicate those traits in a concise manner. While I think I was able portray those traits in my answers, I think my communication style definitely needs work. When I get nervous in high-pressure situations, I tend to talk fast and trip over my words.
My advice is that if you're a generally good person (which they believe you are or else wouldn't have invited you to interview) then don't worry about *what* you're going to say, those traits will come out in your answers once you read the prompt and gather your thoughts - instead practice *how* you're going to say them. I would take the website's advice in practicing your communication skills. Maybe look up a few MMI scenarios, and instead of worrying about memorizing an answer or a specific scenario, focus on how well you are communicating your point (in a time and pressurized environment). I think I would have really benefited from practicing that more.
Yeah it's a fun day overall! Everyone is really nice, down-to-earth, and easy to talk to. You'll enjoy it a lot, just have fun with it!Thank you for the insight. My interview is January 15th. Cant wait!
Dr Maurer is making calls! I got in, I'm so happy and relieved! I'm in bed w the flu and could barely speak; what a way to cheer me up. Best wishes everyone waiting!