2017-2018 Oregon Health & Sciences University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can those who just got accepted what number they were off the waitlist?
Also accepted off hold! Interviewed in December, hold in Feb. So many happy tears. 🙂

To everyone who doesn't get in—please stay persistent. This was my FOURTH application to medical school. I retook the MCAT 6 years after finishing my last college class. This application game is long and it sucks but at the end we get to be involved in our patient's life in a really intimate and special way. What a privilege!!

Congrats! Can you give any advice to those applying next cycle? What did you think chanced from your first application to this one?
 
Can those who just got accepted what number they were off the waitlist?


Congrats! Can you give any advice to those applying next cycle? What did you think chanced from your first application to this one?

I don't think the waitlist is out yet. Everyone accepted on Friday was accepted directly out of the hold pool or had a late season interview.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If we were not accepted off of hold last week is that a pretty strong sign we will be rejected or waitlisted?
 
If we were not accepted off of hold last week is that a pretty strong sign we will be rejected or waitlisted?

Well, they said the deadline is April 30th for us to be either accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. I’m going to remain optimistic that it is still possible for us to get accepted. 🙂
 
If we were not accepted off of hold last week is that a pretty strong sign we will be rejected or waitlisted?
Missing a wave of acceptances is never great, but that happened the week before what seems like the final wave of acceptances before the waitlist went out (the last Tuesday/Wednesday of April) for the last few years. In other words, I'd bet there will be one more wave this week, then the waitlist, then rejections. (I haven't been checking things neurotically or anything...).
 
Missing a wave of acceptances is never great, but that happened the week before what seems like the final wave of acceptances before the waitlist went out (the last Tuesday/Wednesday of April) for the last few years. In other words, I'd bet there will be one more wave this week, then the waitlist, then rejections. (I haven't been checking things neurotically or anything...).
I believe you were right. I heard from someone that got accepted off hold today.
 
I believe you were right. I heard from someone that got accepted off hold today.
Good for them, unfortunate for the rest of us. Did you only hear from the one, and you sure it was today not last Friday with the rest? Thanks for the update.
 
Yes pretty sure that person found out today and no, don't know of anybody else but it seems that the facebook page got a few new members today so possibly safe to assume?
 
Any news? Is it looking like Monday will be when we finally hear? Interviewed early September, put on hold early November. Ready to know where I am living next year RIP.
I interviewed and was put on hold same time as you. It has been torture waiting this long! Can't wait to just get an answer. I think it will be Monday at the latest.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any news? Is it looking like Monday will be when we finally hear? Interviewed early September, put on hold early November. Ready to know where I am living next year RIP.
We will hear by Monday for sure since that's the deadline they've set. However, I called the admissions office this morning and they said that our portal will be updated with the waitlist by tomorrow, or that was "the goal" at least.
 
I was just sent an email about my alternate list number (I will say between #35-50). Best of luck to everyone else! I hope you hear something soon.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that no one here would have any way of really knowing this... but is it possible that they are just letting people on the alternate list know in order of where they are on the list?

I can't stop refreshing my portal! So anxious.
 
I am still on hold too. It looks like last year people found out they were accepted first, then the waitlist, then the rejections? I have no idea though, it is tough to know what any of this means.
Yeah I remember that. There have been a few rejections off hold today though so I have no idea
 
Will be giving up my acceptance here. I absolutely loved this school but there was another that has my heart.... Hope the waitlist moves fast for everyone! Also I know a few people were asking about WICHE students, and I was informed yesterday via phone call about receiving state support. Good luck yall!
 
Will be giving up my acceptance here. I absolutely loved this school but there was another that has my heart.... Hope the waitlist moves fast for everyone! Also I know a few people were asking about WICHE students, and I was informed yesterday via phone call about receiving state support. Good luck yall!

+1 for WICHE funding, congrats! Hoping I move off this hold list, what a long 4 months it’s been.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry for posting (almost) back-to-back.

I've looked through this thread (and a few of the threads for the previous years), but does anyone have additional information on petitioning the genetics requirement? I took three courses that covered Genetics, each with increased detail throughout undergrad and one of the courses explicitly mentioned Genetics as one of the topics that would be covered in the course description.

I'm definitely going to call admissions on Monday for more details, but since this acceptance came so late in the game I'm scared that I'll withdraw from my other options only to find that OHSU rescinded my acceptance.
 
I was also accepted off hold today!! I think I refreshed the portal 500 times today alone. I interviewed in early September and was put on hold in November. This process of waiting was quite horrible but in the end so worth it. I am over the moon. Can’t wait to meet my fellow classmates and good luck to everyone still waiting!!! Hang in there!
 
Sorry for posting (almost) back-to-back.

I've looked through this thread (and a few of the threads for the previous years), but does anyone have additional information on petitioning the genetics requirement? I took three courses that covered Genetics, each with increased detail throughout undergrad and one of the courses explicitly mentioned Genetics as one of the topics that would be covered in the course description.

I'm definitely going to call admissions on Monday for more details, but since this acceptance came so late in the game I'm scared that I'll withdraw from my other options only to find that OHSU rescinded my acceptance.
Might be worth it to hang on to just one other acceptance at a backup school and then email both OHSU and the backup to let them know what's going on regarding requirement specifics, so that they're in the loop and don't get mad. Since you were only recently accepted to OHSU, you might have some wiggle room in terms of traffic day rules. This is based on what I read in that traffic day thread going around in pre-allo, which mentioned something to this effect.
 
Accepted off hold!! So stoked!! This is my third year applying to MD schools. After being held on the waitlist at UCSD until the day of orientation last year (then rejected), the wear of waiting for good news really started to get to me. Can't wait to meet you all and experience Portland!