2017-2018 Oregon Health & Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can those who just got accepted what number they were off the waitlist?
Also accepted off hold! Interviewed in December, hold in Feb. So many happy tears. :)

To everyone who doesn't get in—please stay persistent. This was my FOURTH application to medical school. I retook the MCAT 6 years after finishing my last college class. This application game is long and it sucks but at the end we get to be involved in our patient's life in a really intimate and special way. What a privilege!!

Congrats! Can you give any advice to those applying next cycle? What did you think chanced from your first application to this one?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Congrats! Can you give any advice to those applying next cycle? What did you think chanced from your first application to this one?

I don't think the waitlist is out yet. Everyone accepted on Friday was accepted directly out of the hold pool or had a late season interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I believe the waitlidt will come out on the 30th. The hold pool is different.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If we were not accepted off of hold last week is that a pretty strong sign we will be rejected or waitlisted?

If we were not accepted off of hold last week is that a pretty strong sign we will be rejected or waitlisted?

Well, they said the deadline is April 30th for us to be either accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. I’m going to remain optimistic that it is still possible for us to get accepted. :)

Missing a wave of acceptances is never great, but that happened the week before what seems like the final wave of acceptances before the waitlist went out (the last Tuesday/Wednesday of April) for the last few years. In other words, I'd bet there will be one more wave this week, then the waitlist, then rejections. (I haven't been checking things neurotically or anything...).

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew my application pre-decision post-hold, good luck to everyone still in the running!

Missing a wave of acceptances is never great, but that happened the week before what seems like the final wave of acceptances before the waitlist went out (the last Tuesday/Wednesday of April) for the last few years. In other words, I'd bet there will be one more wave this week, then the waitlist, then rejections. (I haven't been checking things neurotically or anything...).
I believe you were right. I heard from someone that got accepted off hold today.

I believe you were right. I heard from someone that got accepted off hold today.
Good for them, unfortunate for the rest of us. Did you only hear from the one, and you sure it was today not last Friday with the rest? Thanks for the update.

Yes pretty sure that person found out today and no, don't know of anybody else but it seems that the facebook page got a few new members today so possibly safe to assume?

The email for the facebook group went out yesterday for those accepted so it could just be from that

Does everyone's portal with hold status say that final decisions will not be made until April 30?

Does everyone's portal with hold status say that final decisions will not be made until April 30?

Yes, mine does. This does not make sense though if people are already hearing final decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any news? Is it looking like Monday will be when we finally hear? Interviewed early September, put on hold early November. Ready to know where I am living next year RIP.

Any news? Is it looking like Monday will be when we finally hear? Interviewed early September, put on hold early November. Ready to know where I am living next year RIP.
I interviewed and was put on hold same time as you. It has been torture waiting this long! Can't wait to just get an answer. I think it will be Monday at the latest.

I’m assuming no news will come during the weekend? So hard being patient right now haha

I’m assuming no news will come during the weekend? So hard being patient right now haha

It looks like last year they released the "final word"/waitlist on April 27th...

We will hear by Monday for sure since that's the deadline they've set. However, I called the admissions office this morning and they said that our portal will be updated with the waitlist by tomorrow, or that was "the goal" at least.

Reactions: 4 users
Just withdrew my acceptance! Good luck to those on the waitlist

Reactions: 3 users
Rejected from hold just now. Good luck to everyone else.

Did you receive an email or just through portal? Sorry that you got rejected.

I have not received an email.. I don’t know if it will get sent later. The portal updated though. Definitely bummed.

Ranked alternate-listed just now. I'm #20!

I was just sent an email about my alternate list number (I will say between #35-50). Best of luck to everyone else! I hope you hear something soon.

Ok my portal is now updated with my alternate status and position, fyi

I know that no one here would have any way of really knowing this... but is it possible that they are just letting people on the alternate list know in order of where they are on the list?

I can't stop refreshing my portal! So anxious.

Has anyone from the 2/16 interview group heard ANYTHING yet? Still nothing for me...no acceptance, rejection, or hold

Has anyone been accepted off hold today? All I'm seeing are rejections and waitlist. Sorry to those who received disappointing news. Still on hold over here not anxious at all...

Notified today that I'm #41 on the alternate list. Not sure if I should still be holding out hope or not...

Notified today that I'm #41 on the alternate list. Not sure if I should still be holding out hope or not...

Don't give up hope! I am on the same boat. Average is above 50 and they have gone over that number the past 5 years (or so I have been told).

Still on hold as well. Still no acceptances today?
I am still on hold too. It looks like last year people found out they were accepted first, then the waitlist, then the rejections? I have no idea though, it is tough to know what any of this means.

I am still on hold too. It looks like last year people found out they were accepted first, then the waitlist, then the rejections? I have no idea though, it is tough to know what any of this means.
Yeah I remember that. There have been a few rejections off hold today though so I have no idea

Notified through email. Alternate at 75. Good luck y'all.

Will be giving up my acceptance here. I absolutely loved this school but there was another that has my heart.... Hope the waitlist moves fast for everyone! Also I know a few people were asking about WICHE students, and I was informed yesterday via phone call about receiving state support. Good luck yall!

Will be giving up my acceptance here. I absolutely loved this school but there was another that has my heart.... Hope the waitlist moves fast for everyone! Also I know a few people were asking about WICHE students, and I was informed yesterday via phone call about receiving state support. Good luck yall!

+1 for WICHE funding, congrats! Hoping I move off this hold list, what a long 4 months it’s been.

To anyone who is still on hold, I just got accepted off hold today! No email yet, checked portal at 4PM.

Edit: I had been checking the portal every five minutes all day and it definitely just updated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Same thing as charlarlarlar! Very excited to stay in the PNW and attend one of my dream schools.

Honestly it's been such a stressful day seeing everyone get their results and having silence from OHSU until now.

Reactions: 5 users
I’M IN! :soexcited: This was one of my top choices from the beginning. Been waiting on this since my interview back in October. Glad this weird process is done with. Congrats to all of my fellow classmates LETS GOOOOOOO

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Sorry for posting (almost) back-to-back.

I've looked through this thread (and a few of the threads for the previous years), but does anyone have additional information on petitioning the genetics requirement? I took three courses that covered Genetics, each with increased detail throughout undergrad and one of the courses explicitly mentioned Genetics as one of the topics that would be covered in the course description.

I'm definitely going to call admissions on Monday for more details, but since this acceptance came so late in the game I'm scared that I'll withdraw from my other options only to find that OHSU rescinded my acceptance.

I was also accepted off hold today!! I think I refreshed the portal 500 times today alone. I interviewed in early September and was put on hold in November. This process of waiting was quite horrible but in the end so worth it. I am over the moon. Can’t wait to meet my fellow classmates and good luck to everyone still waiting!!! Hang in there!

Reactions: 6 users
Sorry for posting (almost) back-to-back.

I've looked through this thread (and a few of the threads for the previous years), but does anyone have additional information on petitioning the genetics requirement? I took three courses that covered Genetics, each with increased detail throughout undergrad and one of the courses explicitly mentioned Genetics as one of the topics that would be covered in the course description.

I'm definitely going to call admissions on Monday for more details, but since this acceptance came so late in the game I'm scared that I'll withdraw from my other options only to find that OHSU rescinded my acceptance.
Might be worth it to hang on to just one other acceptance at a backup school and then email both OHSU and the backup to let them know what's going on regarding requirement specifics, so that they're in the loop and don't get mad. Since you were only recently accepted to OHSU, you might have some wiggle room in terms of traffic day rules. This is based on what I read in that traffic day thread going around in pre-allo, which mentioned something to this effect.

Accepted off hold!! So stoked!! This is my third year applying to MD schools. After being held on the waitlist at UCSD until the day of orientation last year (then rejected), the wear of waiting for good news really started to get to me. Can't wait to meet you all and experience Portland!

Reactions: 6 users