2017-2018 Oregon Health & Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
What's the difference between the waitlist and being placed on hold?

Being put on hold means you were interviewed, the committee talked about you, and they decided to review your application again after they interview everyone else. They were neither ready to accept you or reject you at that time. OHSU seems to put most of their interviewees on hold, and come April 30th, they will make final decisions on everyone.

At that point, you may be accepted, rejected, or put on a wait list. Being put on a wait list is a final decision and you will get a spot if enough people withdraw their acceptances. The amount of withdrawals necessary depends on your position on the wait list. OHSU ranks candidates on it, and the top 40 or 50 on that list generally squeeze by with a spot in the class. It may take a long time to get off the wait list, however. I heard a story during my interview day about a student who was notified the week classes started.

Reactions: 1 users
Being put on hold means you were interviewed, the committee talked about you, and they decided to review your application again after they interview everyone else. They were neither ready to accept you or reject you at that time. OHSU seems to put most of their interviewees on hold, and come April 30th, they will make final decisions on everyone.

At that point, you may be accepted, rejected, or put on a wait list. Being put on a wait list is a final decision and you will get a spot if enough people withdraw their acceptances. The amount of withdrawals necessary depends on your position on the wait list. OHSU ranks candidates on it, and the top 40 or 50 on that list generally squeeze by with a spot in the class. It may take a long time to get off the wait list, however. I heard a story during my interview day about a student who was notified the week classes started.

Thank you! That makes more sense.

Hi everyone, I'm coming up on almost 11 weeks post interview. My portal hasn't changed (no hold, no waitlist, nothing). Anyone else in this situation? I'm just wondering if it would be worth calling them or not.

Hi everyone, I'm coming up on almost 11 weeks post interview. My portal hasn't changed (no hold, no waitlist, nothing). Anyone else in this situation? I'm just wondering if it would be worth calling them or not.

I'm sorry you're having to wait so long. I know how brutal waiting is. I had to wait 9 weeks to hear back, and many others have had to wait a long time too. I would bet that your interviewer hasn't been able to show up to the meeting yet. The admissions office people are very nice so it wouldn't hurt to call but they may tell you the same thing.

Yeah, I waited about two and a half months before I was put on hold! It's pretty rough but I promise they didn't forget about you! :)

Congrats @Exli!!! I didn't even realize you were a fellow Oregonian! That's awesome news and I'm thrilled for you :) :) :)

Did they email you to let you know your status had changed or did you see it on the portal or ?

I haven't been checking the portal (or SDN to be honest) b/c it just seems like there will be no news to speak of until the end of April and I had to stop making myself crazy.

Congrats @Exli!!! I didn't even realize you were a fellow Oregonian! That's awesome news and I'm thrilled for you :) :) :)

Did they email you to let you know your status had changed or did you see it on the portal or ?

I haven't been checking the portal (or SDN to be honest) b/c it just seems like there will be no news to speak of until the end of April and I had to stop making myself crazy.

Thank you so much dude! Hopefully I’ll see you here! And yeah they sent me an email and changed my portal - it was completely unexpected, I checked Like 10 times that day to make sure it was real

Does anyone know if wiche students pay out of state tuition here?

Reactions: 1 user

Annual Tuition
Residents: $41,596
Non-Residents: $62,700

Summary of Key Considerations in Determining Classification as a Resident
  1. Establishment of a domicile in Oregon for a period of 12 months or more prior to the beginning of the term for which residency is sought.
  2. Financial dependence on an Oregon resident or financial independence.
  3. Primary purpose for being in Oregon other than to obtain an education.
  4. Nature and source of financial resources.
  5. Various other indicia of residency, e.g., ownership of Oregon living quarters, permanent Oregon employment, payment of Oregon income taxes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Annual Tuition
Residents: $41,596
Non-Residents: $62,700

Summary of Key Considerations in Determining Classification as a Resident
  1. Establishment of a domicile in Oregon for a period of 12 months or more prior to the beginning of the term for which residency is sought.
  2. Financial dependence on an Oregon resident or financial independence.
  3. Primary purpose for being in Oregon other than to obtain an education.
  4. Nature and source of financial resources.
  5. Various other indicia of residency, e.g., ownership of Oregon living quarters, permanent Oregon employment, payment of Oregon income taxes.

While this is a true statement for determining residency, OHSU sets aside “a certain number of seats” (last year’s class was 4/160) for Montana and Wyoming residents. These students pay in-state tuition.

Unless we get the support funding from our state (MT or WY) then we pay out of state tuition. Depending on which state you are from determines how many students receive WICHE funding. So just because you are accepted here as a WICHE student, does not necessarily mean you will receive this scholarship. I am not sure what Wyoming does, but Montana has enough funding for six WICHE students across all the schools that partner with this program. I had an extensive conversation with the office that determines this funding if you have any more questions!

Anyone anxious about decisions near April 30?

Reactions: 2 users
Hey friends! Did anyone here interview in late March and hear back/get updates on their portal? I interviewed March 20th... OHSU is my top choice but was my last interview, so the wait is slowly keeeeeling me...

Sent my student interviewer a thank you note via the admissions email and never got a response... don't know if that's a bad sign or if they don't respond as a standard practice. OR if I'm just a paranoid pre-med (probably this one).

Hey friends! Did anyone here interview in late March and hear back/get updates on their portal? I interviewed March 20th... OHSU is my top choice but was my last interview, so the wait is slowly keeeeeling me...

Sent my student interviewer a thank you note via the admissions email and never got a response... don't know if that's a bad sign or if they don't respond as a standard practice. OR if I'm just a paranoid pre-med (probably this one).
I interviewed late March and got put on hold a little over a week later. That's definitely abnormal though and on interview day they told us that our decision would likely come out near the end (around April 30th) with the late interview so I wouldn't worry about it. The update is based on when your interviewers had time to discuss you anyway.

Also don't worry about it. I never got any responses to my thank you notes since they're probably too busy to reply.

I interviewed late March and got put on hold a little over a week later. That's definitely abnormal though and on interview day they told us that our decision would likely come out near the end (around April 30th) with the late interview so I wouldn't worry about it. The update is based on when your interviewers had time to discuss you anyway.

Also don't worry about it. I never got any responses to my thank you notes since they're probably too busy to reply.

Whoa, a one week turnaround...That's the soonest I have heard. I know two people who got rejected this year and they both heard in 4 weeks. I interviewed 2/13 and am still waiting to hear. Good luck everybody!

While this is a true statement for determining residency, OHSU sets aside “a certain number of seats” (last year’s class was 4/160) for Montana and Wyoming residents. These students pay in-state tuition.

So only 4 of the 160 people in last year's class were from those wiche states?

Is there anyone else who applied MD/MPH who is pre-II and hasn’t been rejected yet? I noticed a few MD/MPH people posted in this thread that they were rejected, but they must be done sending out IIs by this point right? So why have I not been rejected? Is there any hope or was I just forgotten about?

Is there anyone else who applied MD/MPH who is pre-II and hasn’t been rejected yet? I noticed a few MD/MPH people posted in this thread that they were rejected, but they must be done sending out IIs by this point right? So why have I not been rejected? Is there any hope or was I just forgotten about?

6/7 of us were accepted in mid april-mid-may last year so it is a long wait. (I was May 30)

Just noticed I was put on hold yesterday. Interviewed 3/16

I am in a similar boat (applied MD/PhD, received no II or rejection). I wondered if they are still interviewing too; I thought that OHSU has a longer interview season. Though I don't have my hopes up.

I am in a similar boat (applied MD/PhD, received no II or rejection). I wondered if they are still interviewing too; I thought that OHSU has a longer interview season. Though I don't have my hopes up.

It is my understanding the last interview day was this past Friday. I will let you know if I know any more information, but in the past the last interviews were the first or second week of April. Last year was an exception because the snow cancelled two weeks of interview times and so interviews went into second or third week of April.

You can call the admissions office for confirmation, however, if you have not interviewed or received an invite by now I would consider that a rejection. My apologies for being the bearer of bad news.

It looks like all remaining Fridays have been turned into second look days. This makes me think what I have said above is correct and interviews are over.

So only 4 of the 160 people in last year's class were from those wiche states?

This link has the breakdown of last years matriculated class:

largest-class-in-ohsu-school-of-medicine-history-to-celebrate-annual-white-coat-ceremony
(not actual link because my account is too new but you can google it, numbers are towards the bottom of the article)

Not sure if that means 4 students with WICHE funding from their home states or 4 students from the WICHE states themselves.

This link has the breakdown of last years matriculated class:

largest-class-in-ohsu-school-of-medicine-history-to-celebrate-annual-white-coat-ceremony
(not actual link because my account is too new but you can google it, numbers are towards the bottom of the article)

Not sure if that means 4 students with WICHE funding from their home states or 4 students from the WICHE states themselves.

I think you're right. Pretty tough competition, moreso than I thought. April 30th can't come here soon enough lmao.

Two more weeks until they start making most decisions!!

Anyone from the 2/16 interview group heard anything? Pushing 8 weeks of silence.

I know they put most people on hold, but the facebook group is looking quite full. Does anyone have any hints about how many seats are left?

Placed on hold this morning. Interviewed 4/6. Also curious about how many spots are left.

I am surprised the facebook group is that full since admissions said they only immediately admit roughly 20% while the rest are placed on hold. They must not be following that breakdown this year?

I am surprised the facebook group is that full since admissions said they only immediately admit roughly 20% while the rest are placed on hold. They must not be following that breakdown this year?
That’s what I’m confused about. The description says some of those people are from the 2021 class, but it still seems excessive.

AAMC traffic rules say that by March 15 schools need to admit at least as many students as their class size.

Sent from my XT1254 using SDN mobile

AAMC traffic rules are just recommendations.

Edit: With the exception of the May 1st one for applicants

Last edited:
Wow, you guys are whipping out the bylaws, I feel so unevolved!

Can a young lurker get a link to that FB group please?

From my understanding, they admit up to 20% of those they interviewed prior to reviewing the hold list. 570 x 20% = 114, which is close to the size of the FB group (111?). So they maybe have like 40-60 spots remaining, assuming all those people accepted are planning on attending.

From my understanding, they admit up to 20% of those they interviewed prior to reviewing the hold list. 570 x 20% = 114, which is close to the size of the FB group (111?). So they maybe have like 40-60 spots remaining, assuming all those people accepted are planning on attending.
Thank you for clearing that up! That number does make sense then.

6 more people were just added to the FB group, it's at 117 now with ~ 10-15 of those being current students I'd say. I know several of the people in the group who are planning on attending other institutions though, so don't give up hope by any means!

6 more people were just added to the FB group, it's at 117 now with ~ 10-15 of those being current students I'd say. I know several of the people in the group who are planning on attending other institutions though, so don't give up hope by any means!
Thanks for the update. Any idea or estimate of how many of those are out of state?

Thanks for the update. Any idea or estimate of how many of those are out of state?
Not a clue - some people could be IS but live elsewhere so very hard to tell!

Also for the FB group thing, a lot of the people in the accepted groups are second years giving input/advice/etc so don't put too much weight in those

Hello, in general - some of the class that is left will be accepted right before the April 30 waitlist/last accepts/last rejects goes out. Last year this was April 26 or 27 I think. This is due to many other schools doing their waitlists around the same time and students deciding to go to different schools.
Facebook group will consist of all members of Student Leadership generally - from 1st to 3rd years, among other students who are not in leadership. So that's a lot of people.
The last few years about 50 people have been accepted off of waitlist. The waitlist has trended down from where it was in the 07-08 (120ish), and has come down to a steady about 50ish each year. They changed their interviewing and selection algorithms to try to get more students who would accept right off the bat and it has seemed to work fairly dramatically.
Hope that helps! Good luck over these last couple weeks of waiting, and good luck to those of you who end up waitlisted. I was waitlisted! It doesn't matter at all once you are here (makes absolutely no bearing on what your test scores will be compared to your classmates either).

Reactions: 8 users
Just got accepted off hold! Excited beyond belief!

Reactions: 6 users
Got accepted off hold too!!!! I quadruple checked my email and portal before believing it. Will definitely be attending here this summer!!!!!

Also link to FB group??

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats everyone who got off hold!!! Looking forward to meeting all of you this summer!

Reactions: 4 users