2017-2018 Oregon Health & Sciences University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I was complete in the last week of July. Yeah I am part of the ‘high stats’ mission group. And also a reapplicant so very excited to be having this success!

How is it that you're part of the high stats mission group and also a reapplicant? Was OHSU the only school that you applied to last cycle? I can't imagine that someone who has the stats necessary for OHSU to consider them to be part of the high stats mission group, wouldn't have gotten in anywhere during their first cycle. Did you turn down a med school acceptance last cycle to reapply to OHSU? If so, I'm surprised you got an interview, rather than that being considered a red flag.
 
How is it that you're part of the high stats mission group and also a reapplicant? Was OHSU the only school that you applied to last cycle? I can't imagine that someone who has the stats necessary for OHSU to consider them to be part of the high stats mission group, wouldn't have gotten in anywhere during their first cycle. Did you turn down a med school acceptance last cycle to reapply to OHSU? If so, I'm surprised you got an interview, rather than that being considered a red flag.

Oh yeah well my stats got much higher between app cycles...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What kind of stats are considered high enough to be in the group? Is this group for MD only?
According to their website:

  • Non-resident applicants with superior achievements in academics and other related experiences. For the 2018 cycle, superior academics is defined as a cumulative total GPA, as reported by AMCAS, of 3.70 or higher, and a cumulative score of 513 or higher on the most recent eligible MCAT. Superior achievements is defined as significant experiences in healthcare, leadership, extracurricular activities, and/or community service activities.
 
April 30

Sent from my XT1254 using SDN mobile
I heard they start letting more people in as they complete more interviews and get a better sense of applicants. So you could hear anytime before April 30th. My friend also told me that the Dean said they want to have 20 spots left at the last interview in case they have 20 really outstanding applicants at that time.

I'm on hold as well. But here's to hoping for a decision soon. Waiting is so painful 🙁
 
They may say they only want 20 spots left, but things tend to move much much slower than the administration lets on. I think an estimate of about 50% of interviewers still being on hold by the time spring roles around is a pretty good estimate.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you assume that after a certain amount of time has elapsed, if you haven't gotten an interview invite yet, you're not going to? I was complete mid-September and still haven't heard anything, and it looks like that's where they are now in the pile, since the last couple of posters on here who have gotten interview invites were complete around 9/8-9/11.
 
No unfortunately pre but shouldnt I still at least have heard something since they say 12 weeks?

If you go back and look at the posts of people who have gotten interview invites so far this cycle, it very much looks like they're going in chronological order. So, if it has been more than 12 weeks and you have not heard anything and were not even put on a pre-interview hold, I think you can safely assume that you've been screened and dinged at this point. They do not send rejections out the moment they decide to reject (notice that nobody has been rejected pre-II so far?). Odds are, they've made up their mind and you'll get a rejection letter in the spring.
 
If you go back and look at the posts of people who have gotten interview invites so far this cycle, it very much looks like they're going in chronological order. So, if it has been more than 12 weeks and you have not heard anything and were not even put on a pre-interview hold, I think you can safely assume that you've been screened and dinged at this point. They do not send rejections out the moment they decide to reject (notice that nobody has been rejected pre-II so far?). Odds are, they've made up their mind and you'll get a rejection letter in the spring.
Oh yikes, thanks for giving me the low down. Best of luck to you and all still grooving in the running for a seat!
 
Oh yikes, thanks for giving me the low down. Best of luck to you and all still grooving in the running for a seat!
To be devil's advocate, it's been said earlier by @missmartian85 that in previous cycles some individuals had radio silence even into the new year before hearing anything, leading to an II and eventual acceptance. Hopefully you have other II/accepts but otherwise don't give up yet! 🙂
 
I was complete a little bit after you were and I was told that my application was just now sent to the reviewers. OHSU just takes awhile.

What does a little after me mean? Would you be willing to give a specific date? Are you IS or OOS? How did you find out when it got sent to the reviewers? Did you call and ask or email? Thanks.
 
If you go back and look at the posts of people who have gotten interview invites so far this cycle, it very much looks like they're going in chronological order. So, if it has been more than 12 weeks and you have not heard anything and were not even put on a pre-interview hold, I think you can safely assume that you've been screened and dinged at this point. They do not send rejections out the moment they decide to reject (notice that nobody has been rejected pre-II so far?). Odds are, they've made up their mind and you'll get a rejection letter in the spring.

This is not true. Many many students have radio silence until the spring - I was one of them. I was complete end of July early August (I don't quite remember at this point). Did not hear anything until I got an interview invite in late Jan early Feb. Do not give up hope.

Also sorry I have been away from the forum for a bit - almost the entirety of OHSU is in finals right now (Pharm, MD, Nursing, etc) so it's quite hectic here. OHSU is notoriously slow, but like I have said previously this is not necessarily a bad thing. I really think they do an A+ job picking a well-rounded, kind and compassionate class. These things take time as frustrating as that may be.
 
Has anyone who interviewed in late October (24th or 26th) gotten a response? It's getting pretty deep into that 4-6 week notification period...
 
Has anyone who interviewed in late October (24th or 26th) gotten a response? It's getting pretty deep into that 4-6 week notification period...
I interviewed the 26th and I heard within 3 weeks of my Hold decision. I didn't get any email notification just a portal update. If you haven't heard anything I would advise calling the admission office and they'll tell you.
 
Has anyone who interviewed in late October (24th or 26th) gotten a response? It's getting pretty deep into that 4-6 week notification period...
I am a current 1st year at OHSU. I interviewed late October last year and didn't hear anything until February. I was by no means an uncommon case, and many waited longer than I. I think the case above of hearing back in 3 weeks is more unusual than waiting 3 months, if this cycle is anything like last!
 
I am a current 1st year at OHSU. I interviewed late October last year and didn't hear anything until February. I was by no means an uncommon case, and many waited longer than I. I think the case above of hearing back in 3 weeks is more unusual than waiting 3 months, if this cycle is anything like last!
To add to this, waiting longer means absolutely nothing about your admissions status either. I was accepted outright.

My dad (who didn't mean to be cruel but he doesn't always think things through before he says them, haha) told me "so-and-so got accepted and so-and-so got wait listed and they both interviewed after you, so if you haven't heard yet you must be rejected." Not only a terrible thing to say, but also COMPLETELY false!

It just depends on when your interviewer is free to present you to the committee.
 
Hello! Is anyone else interviewing on December 7th (this thursday)? This will be my first time to Portland, I took extra days off from work to explore the city a little bit. (OOS, URM, non-trad, secondary completed in late July and II on 11/15). Very excited and would be happy to connect or possibly carpool to the school (I'll have a car, but believe that the all-day parking is a little pricey). Correct me if I'm wrong @missmartian85. Btw thank you for your helpful posts!
 
Hello! Is anyone else interviewing on December 7th (this thursday)? This will be my first time to Portland, I took extra days off from work to explore the city a little bit. (OOS, URM, non-trad, secondary completed in late July and II on 11/15). Very excited and would be happy to connect or possibly carpool to the school (I'll have a car, but believe that the all-day parking is a little pricey). Correct me if I'm wrong @missmartian85. Btw thank you for your helpful posts!
Where will you be staying? CLSB (where the interviews are held) is located right next to a max stop and a streetcar stop. They are both great alternatives to paying for parking. I work at ohsu and have to pay that parking fee every day..
 
Does everybody who gets rejected from here pre-II get put on pre-II hold first, or do they ever reject people outright? I got put on pre-II hold today, which I'm guessing is basically as good as a rejection. They want to look at the non mission based applicants first. I'm guessing to be put on hold for an interview means that everybody else whose application they look at from here on out has to be worse than you in order for you to get an invite.
 
Does everybody who gets rejected from here pre-II get put on pre-II hold first, or do they ever reject people outright? I got put on pre-II hold today, which I'm guessing is basically as good as a rejection. They want to look at the non mission based applicants first. I'm guessing to be put on hold for an interview means that everybody else whose application they look at from here on out has to be worse than you in order for you to get an invite.

At least you have gotten a hold. I haven't heard anything (hold or otherwise) since I was complete in August.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where will you be staying? CLSB (where the interviews are held) is located right next to a max stop and a streetcar stop. They are both great alternatives to paying for parking. I work at ohsu and have to pay that parking fee every day..
I am airbnb-ing in the Gateway area (NE Portland), so I may have to drive in, after all. :whistle:
 
I was complete early august and still no change, not even for pre-II hold -_-

I am a current dual degree student was complete late July early August and had radio silence until January. You may not here anything for another few months. I had a friend who heard nothing until March (was complete late Aug), got in a week after her interview.
 
I am a current dual degree student was complete late July early August and had radio silence until January. You may not here anything for another few months. I had a friend who heard nothing until March (was complete late Aug), got in a week after her interview.

What does a pre-II hold mean? It sounds like they want to look at the non-mission based applicants first, which is basically just as good as a rejection, since they'd rather take a non-mission than you.
 
What does a pre-II hold mean? It sounds like they want to look at the non-mission based applicants first, which is basically just as good as a rejection, since they'd rather take a non-mission than you.

So if you are not a mission-based applicant - check out their mission-based information on the portal. I don't have ties to the state but was mission-based because I am dual-degree. If you do fall in the mission-based criteria (any of them including maybe diversity, high academic standing, dual degree etc) there is a chance. I try not to get anyone's hopes up tho - so with all that being said OHSU has not accepted a non-mission based applicant in a few years. And I doubt they will. I really do apologize if this falls to you and no one told you this before applying. I for one think that it should be a disclaimer on their applications.
 
So if you are not a mission-based applicant - check out their mission-based information on the portal. I don't have ties to the state but was mission-based because I am dual-degree. If you do fall in the mission-based criteria (any of them including maybe diversity, high academic standing, dual degree etc) there is a chance. I try not to get anyone's hopes up tho - so with all that being said OHSU has not accepted a non-mission based applicant in a few years. And I doubt they will. I really do apologize if this falls to you and no one told you this before applying. I for one think that it should be a disclaimer on their applications.

I am a mission based applicant.
 
At least they take their time and do it right. I'd rather them be slow and go through every application with a fine tooth comb than be like some other schools and let the computer do the work for them.

Yes I 100% agree! OHSU actually looks at students as a WHOLE person, not just stats on a page. It's very nice 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad