2017 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ORISE opportunities that are being considered soon APPLY by This Friday COB 5 ET…Other opportunities listed on Current CDC Research Opportunities | Research at the CDC

Good luck if you need assistance, I’m available to answer what I can or give insight on applying

MPH with some SAS experience:

Zintellect

Masters Level with any of these degrees starts Oct 4 in ATL

• Public Policy
  • Science Policy/Science & Society
  • Social Psychology
  • Social Sciences: Other
  • Sociology (except Social Work)
MPA

Zintellect

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just called the PHAP phone line this morning, and there still aren't any updates. I was told that selections are still being made and that I should continue to check my email and my USA Jobs account. They said that I am still being considered. They also did not give me a deadline when selections will be completed. I am trying to be patient, but I am growing increasingly frustrated with this process that has lasted 8+ months now. I really wish we could get some answers, especially with the program start date just one month away.

Sorry but.... how in the world are selections STILL being made?!? There is no way the CDC can expect people to be able to move by Oct 1st. Getting an offer would be pretty heartbreaking at this point because I would have to decline. Does anybody else feel like this whole process has been pretty.... bizarre?? Like I don't know of any other entry-level job or program that is this drawn out and intense and I've felt like I've been in the dark the entire time as far as my chances go. And no offense to the program, it really does sound like a great opportunity, but its not like it's some big important position high up in the government. I'm just frustrated and I'm sure many of you are as well. Has anybody called the PHAP office this week??

Hi all!

2016 PHAP here - from what I understand, they are not finished making offers. I spoke with my CDC supervisor today, who said she is expecting to get at least 10 more associates assigned to her. Don't lose hope, there are still spots to fill.

Hi rae93! Sorry to bother you, but you don't happen to have any news from your supervisor? Did she ever get more associates assigned to her?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry but.... how in the world are selections STILL being made?!? There is no way the CDC can expect people to be able to move by Oct 1st. Getting an offer would be pretty heartbreaking at this point because I would have to decline. Does anybody else feel like this whole process has been pretty.... bizarre?? Like I don't know of any other entry-level job or program that is this drawn out and intense and I've felt like I've been in the dark the entire time as far as my chances go. And no offense to the program, it really does sound like a great opportunity, but its not like it's some big important position high up in the government. I'm just frustrated and I'm sure many of you are as well. Has anybody called the PHAP office this week??
Just called this morning. Same situation. They are in the process of making final selections and to keep checking our email daily.

Reactions: 1 users
The latest I've heard of a PHAP getting a position was 2 weeks before and that was VERY rare (hearing "late" is usually hearing a month before). Obviously it could be different this year but I would assume you didn't get it if you haven't heard by Monday. They're saying they are still making selections because people might be turning down last minute and they want to fill those last minute cancellations, etc, but all of the initial selections have absolutely been made and tbh I'll be very surprised if more than a couple people hear after today.

PHAP is a good program but not worth the stress of still calling them every day. It is really just an entry level govt job (also why the process takes so long and is so convoluted... it's not like applying to grad school or another "fellowship." Most federal job applications are like this. Not just PHAP).

Hi rae93! Sorry to bother you, but you don't happen to have any news from your supervisor? Did she ever get more associates assigned to her?

Unfortunately I haven't heard anything since my last post. Although, being halfway through September, I think the chances of any more offers going out are slim at this point (just my feeling, who knows). All I know for certain is that this year's cohort will definitely be smaller than 2016's, mostly due to capacity and funding I believe (which has been mentioned previously). Sorry I don't have any news!

Congrats to everyone!

Last edited:
I hope you all are having a blast in Atlanta this week for orientation! :)

Has anyone heard anything about the 2018 application cycle? The PHAP webpage hasn’t even been updated since Jan. 20, 2017...not that this surprises me :(

Regardless, if there are any current PHAPs or anyone else that knows when the application opens in January, please share!

Has anyone heard anything about the 2018 application cycle? The PHAP webpage hasn’t even been updated since Jan. 20, 2017...not that this surprises me :(

Regardless, if there are any current PHAPs or anyone else that knows when the application opens in January, please share!
Check your inbox

I just received notice of my rejection today. Only about 2 more weeks until the entire process begins again! o_O

Happy holidays, y'all!

Hi everyone,
i plan on applying for the 2018 cycle but will be studying abroad for a winter program in the middle of the January application. To save me some stress (since I won't have cell service all the time), can someone explain the school verification form? Is the form only accessible through the application? Is it mandatory/required and something that needs to be signed by our schools registrar? Does it need to be faxed by our school? Im still in school and graduate with my bachelors in May if that makes any difference. Thank you!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
i plan on applying for the 2018 cycle but will be studying abroad for a winter program in the middle of the January application. To save me some stress (since I won't have cell service all the time), can someone explain the school verification form? Is the form only accessible through the application? Is it mandatory/required and something that needs to be signed by our schools registrar? Does it need to be faxed by our school? Im still in school and graduate with my bachelors in May if that makes any difference. Thank you!!!!

I am in the same boat as you with graduating this May! If I’m not mistaken, the enrollment verification is something provided by the school. I was able to request one through my school’s online portal (Ex: where we register for classes, get grades, etc) and then I had to pick it up in person on campus. Mine explains how many credits I have left and that I am set to graduate in May 2018. If also has a seal of the University and has been hand-signed by someone.

Hope that helped!

I am in the same boat as you with graduating this May! If I’m not mistaken, the enrollment verification is something provided by the school. I was able to request one through my school’s online portal (Ex: where we register for classes, get grades, etc) and then I had to pick it up in person on campus. Mine explains how many credits I have left and that I am set to graduate in May 2018. If also has a seal of the University and has been hand-signed by someone.

Hope that helped!

Thank you so much, decided to get mine done today! I hope this years cohort is not smaller than last years so we have a better chance lol I also wonder if the resume was submitted through pdf format or manually imputed

Thank you so much, decided to get mine done today! I hope this years cohort is not smaller than last years so we have a better chance lol I also wonder if the resume was submitted through pdf format or manually imputed
Our cohort (2017) was pretty small with 114 of us which is one of the lowest compared to 2016's 250. Hopefully they have more positions so more people can get offers. If the cohort is smaller, then it doesn't mean you'll have a better chance, just makes it more competitive actually. Trust me, the more openings the better

Our cohort (2017) was pretty small with 114 of us which is one of the lowest compared to 2016's 250. Hopefully they have more positions so more people can get offers. If the cohort is smaller, then it doesn't mean you'll have a better chance, just makes it more competitive actually. Trust me, the more openings the better

of course, that's why I hope they admit about 200 applicants rather than 100 :( Can I ask you (if you happen to remember) if there is a page requirement for the resume? Mine is 2 pages but wondering if they have a one page max limit, thank you!

of course, that's why I hope they admit about 200 applicants rather than 100 :( Can I ask you (if you happen to remember) if there is a page requirement for the resume? Mine is 2 pages but wondering if they have a one page max limit, thank you!
I don't think it was. I would suggest trying to use some of the words in the job description to help your chances.

I don't think it was. I would suggest trying to use some of the words in the job description to help your chances.
And the budget they have also is a factor because I remember at Orientation they talked about the budget being tight.

Hello does anyone now what to include in the initial application and if you graduated from grad school..do they need both your undergrad and grad transcript or the most recent? thank you

Hello does anyone now what to include in the initial application and if you graduated from grad school..do they need both your undergrad and grad transcript or the most recent? thank you
I submitted all of my transcripts from community college-grad school just in case

Heyyyyy! I was placed in Mount Clemens, Michigan too! I'm from Illinois and know nothing about that area. Let's connect!
Hi I just received acceptance into the 2018 PHAP cohort and was placed in Mt Clemens as well. Can we connect? I am searching for suggestions for living arrangements