This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted to the post-bacc program :) I'm very, very excited!

Details for all of you who are curious:
Transferred app over from the DO program - Dec 1st
Received confirmation (after emailing Alisa) - Dec 7th
App went into committee around early March (I got a response of "shouldn't be much longer now" on Mar 13th)
Just got my acceptance email this morning: Thursday, March 28th, 9:20 am CT

506 MCAT, 2.91 sGPA, 3.1 cGPA (all with grade replacement, so this program is a blessing for me... lol)
TONS of shadowing, clinic volunteering, teaching (I'm a non-trad), and I started several programs for community health and computer science over the last 1.5 years.

you got in with a 2.91 science GPA that makes mee feel sooo much better!!!!! Also, where are you from ?? And when you used grade replacement were the courses identical??? because mine are similar butI sent her the course descriptions to help get them approved but its the same course content

Members don't see this ad.

you got in with a 2.91 science GPA that makes mee feel sooo much better!!!!! Also, where are you from ?? And when you used grade replacement were the courses identical??? because mine are similar butI sent her the course descriptions to help get them approved but its the same course content

AND CONGRATTTSSSSSSSS

App went into committee around early March (I got a response of "shouldn't be much longer now" on Mar 13th)
Just got my acceptance email this morning: Thursday, March 28th, 9:20 am CT

506 MCAT, 2.91 sGPA, 3.1 cGPA (all with grade replacement, so this program is a blessing for me... lol)
TONS of shadowing, clinic volunteering, teaching (I'm a non-trad), and I started several programs for community health and computer science over the last 1.5 years.

I sent them an update because I applied a couple weeks before getting my MCAT score, so I wanted them to have it. But I don't think giving them more to read (i.e. More LOR) is a good idea...

okay thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd be annoying them. You applied at the beginning of this month and the only people that have gotten acceptances applied super early to early January. Most people from February haven't heard anything yet, so you're going to be waiting a good long while. I applied at the end of January and this is going to be week 8 for me, so there's nothing you can do but chill and wait that won't annoy them.

okay i applied in February but I don't know if im complete

You'd be annoying them. You applied at the beginning of this month and the only people that have gotten acceptances applied super early to early January. Most people from February haven't heard anything yet, so you're going to be waiting a good long while. I applied at the end of January and this is going to be week 8 for me, so there's nothing you can do but chill and wait that won't annoy them.

I will chill out but this is annoying

Ahhh acceptances are going out on a Tuesday? Now I have to frantically check my email every minute!! Congratulations and thank you for the extremely detailed information.
Right! Tuesday! Aaaah I'm so out of it, I accidentally said Thursday. It's been a long haul haha

So, it was actually a combination of undergrad grade replacement (with identical courses) and then further bringing up the sGPA with graduate level courses, because I promise I can be smart lol even though it didn't show in undergrad for many reasons. So yeah, I squeaked by on that requirement and I'm so glad that this cycle still allows for replacement!

Oh and I'm a TX resident. For now ;) Assuming I can get that automatic admission (getting pumped up for hardcore studying...) I need to see if my fiance's work/resident status in VA would allow me to stay in Blacksburg for the DO program (we'd be married by then).

Oh and I'm a TX resident. For now ;) Assuming I can get that automatic admission (getting pumped up for hardcore studying...) I need to see if my fiance's work/resident status in VA would allow me to stay in Blacksburg for the DO program (we'd be married by then).

I'm certain that would be a compelling enough reason to let you stay at that campus.

Reactions: 1 user
Guys.. I emailed Ms. Hewitt, she said the committee will review my material this week. my application was completed on Feb 2nd. So, this will give you some idea on timing. Hopefully this information will help:)

Reactions: 1 users
Guys.. I emailed Ms. Hewitt, she said the committee will review my material this week. my application was completed on Feb 2nd. So, this will give you some idea on timing. Hopefully this information will help:)

Oh holy **** this might really be the week for me then since I applied a couple days earlier. :dead:

Members don't see this ad :)

Just got my acceptance email this morning: Tuesday, March 28th, 9:20 am CT

*** I initially wrote that today was Thursday, can you tell I'm a bit flustered?! :)

Woah, we literally have the exact same stats, except I didn't apply for the DO program first. Hopefully that bodes good news for me! Congrats on getting accepted!

Reactions: 2 users

Heard anything yet? I'm so anxious to hear something.

Just got an acceptance and my application was complete in March.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got an acceptance and my application was complete in March.
Congratulations! What a quick turnaround time for your application review!

Do you mind sharing what your stats are? :)

Last edited:
Why is this VCOM post-bac thread more popular than some of the actually DO school threads? lol.

In response to all comments that I received

1. I had a 3.0 cgpa and sgpa

2. I think I just got in because of my personal statement and my ability to connect with the school's mission statement

3. I believe if you submitted an AACOMAS application, it's way faster to have all grades transferred to the post bac program than if you applied straight up with the application on the post bacc page

4. I submitted my application in the first week of February, inquired about status of application and was told that all materials were complete in March

5. Final question to everyone on this forum

- I plan on applying to MD schools, but my 3.0 GPA is with grade replacements, without them I probably have a 2.6. So, if I apply to MD schools will my application get straight out rejected due to not meeting screening criteria. If I state that I am doing this program and have VCOM provide updates will I at least get considered for admissions?

6. Lastly, thank you to everyone on SDN for bringing this program to my attention I applied to DO schools and was rejected everywhere and was losing hope. This program is my only opportunity to become a physician and I thank you all for discussing opportunities and helping spread awareness.

7. If you can't get into VCOM post bacc there is a post bacc through BCOM that offers a guaranteed acceptance, provided you meet the metrics listed.

Best of luck to you all!

2. I think I just got in because of my personal statement and my ability to connect with the school's mission statement

3. I believe if you submitted an AACOMAS application, it's way faster to have all grades transferred to the post bac program than if you applied straight up with the application on the post bacc page

4. I submitted my application in the first week of February, inquired about status of application and was told that all materials were complete in March

- I plan on applying to MD schools, but my 3.0 GPA is with grade replacements, without them I probably have a 2.6. So, if I apply to MD schools will my application get straight out rejected due to not meeting screening criteria. If I state that I am doing this program and have VCOM provide updates will I at least get considered for admissions?

6. Lastly, thank you to everyone on SDN for bringing this program to my attention I applied to DO schools and was rejected everywhere and was losing hope. This program is my only opportunity to become a physician and I thank you all for discussing opportunities and helping spread awareness.

7. If you can't get into VCOM post bacc there is a post bacc through BCOM that offers a guaranteed acceptance, provided you meet the metrics listed.

Best of luck to you all!

Hey,

Did you apply through AACOMAS ==> that's why you got a quicker response than those that had to send in an application with GPA calculation

Hey,

Did you apply through AACOMAS ==> that's why you got a quicker response than those that had to send in an application with GPA calculation

did you have grade replacements on your accomas??

Best of luck to you all!

What was your mcat score, if you took it already? Are you from VA?

I, also submitted through AACOMAS back in early Feb, 3.3/3.2/ no mcat yet.

If you do really well (3.5+ gpa) in this program and have a competitive mcat score (510+), they might have a shot at a state MD school. But, the chances are very slim because MD schools look at undergrad stuff more than grad/postbacc etc.

Hey,

That's my assumption based off what I gathered from emails that I got from Ms. Hewitt. However, regardless of which way you applied to this program, an early application will ensure faster processing time.

What was your mcat score, if you took it already? Are you from VA?

I, also submitted through AACOMAS back in early Feb, 3.3/3.2/ no mcat yet.

If you do really well (3.5+ gpa) in this program and have a competitive mcat score (510+), they might have a shot at a state MD school. But, the chances are very slim because MD schools look at undergrad stuff more than grad/postbacc etc.

MCAT 498 and I am from the midwest.

Planning on retaking MCAT soon. Seeing as you are taking courses that a first-year medical student would take, would medical school ADCOMS give this program as much weight as an MD SMP?

For all of you thinking about doing VCOM's graduate certificate program... do it!! I'm currently halfway through the program and just got my acceptance to their DO program starting next fall. I know the 3.6 requirement sounds scary, but it's definitely doable if you start studying hard from day 1. I feel 100x more prepared for med school now, the professors are all really helpful and excited to teach, and the environment of Blacksburg is amazing. One heads up if you do get accepted: Don't get too attached to the VA campus if you're not from VA...they WILL send you to either Spartanburg or Auburn due to the demand for the VA campus.

Feel free to ask me any questions! Good luck everyone!

A number of questions

1. I have a MacBook, do I need to buy a windows computer in order to take the exams?

2. What is the format of the exams?

3. Most difficult subject in the program?

4. What study method did you employ in this program and in your opinion what is the difference in workload in this program compared to a semester of undergraduate science courses?

Thank you for taking the time to contribute to this forum during the busy post-bac schedule

Yes, I had an absurd number of retakes, I am very grateful to have gotten into this program.

I'll admit I'm a little frustrated that it feels like people that applied to their DO program and didn't get in are getting a priority for this program even if someone else submitted earlier. Not that it's your fault of course, but this waiting game has dragged on a little more than I expected.

Reactions: 3 users
MCAT 498 and I am from the midwest.

Planning on retaking MCAT soon. Seeing as you are taking courses that a first-year medical student would take, would medical school ADCOMS give this program as much weight as an MD SMP?

It's better to ask the school directly about where applicants been accepted to in the past after the completion of this program (besides VCOM).

I believe everyone going into this program wants to be a DO student at VCOM. But, I'm sure there are those who apply to other schools (maybe closer to where they live) either before starting the postbacc or after its completion and in my opinion, these are probably DO schools, as well.

While there's no doubt the classes in this postbacc are 1st-year medical school courses, I think, If you want to apply to MD schools in the future then you should also look into MD related SMPs (like ones at Rfu, Drexel, etc).

Last edited:
It's better to ask the school directly about where applicants been accepted to in the past after the completion of this program.

I believe everyone going into this program wants to be DO student at VCOM. But, I'm sure there are those who apply to other schools (maybe closer to where they live) either before starting the postbacc and after its completion and in my opinion, these schools are probably DO schools, as well.

While there no doubt the classes in this postbacc are 1st-year medical school courses, I think, If you think you want to apply to MD schools in the future then you should also look into MD related SMPs (like ones at Rfu, Drexel, etc).

I totally agree. An adcom I talked to basically said do the SMP at the school you want to go to. If you want md go to an md post bacc

1. They do not support MacBooks if ExamSoft decides to take a crap on you during an exam- They will not give you a paper exam or a loner, you'll fail. With that being said, it's proceed at your own risk. Many people use Macs, I've never seen any one have issues. I bought a PC for piece of mind.
2. 5 questions per lecture hour, vary in size by the amount of lectures per exam, as state earlier in this thread. Usually 8-10 lectures (chapters) per exam. All computer based.
3. This is completely subjective and depends on your own personal likes/weaknesses. I hate certain topics in physiology (which made them difficult), loved all of Biochem (made it easy for me). Depends on you.
4. Much faster paced then undergrad. I used to pre-read chapters in the book before O-Chem or Biochem. We go through 4 chapters in 1 day, 20 chapters a week. Reading goes right out the window.

Best.

A number of questions

1. I have a MacBook, do I need to buy a windows computer in order to take the exams?

2. What is the format of the exams?

3. Most difficult subject in the program?

4. What study method did you employ in this program and in your opinion what is the difference in workload in this program compared to a semester of undergraduate science courses?

Thank you for taking the time to contribute to this forum during the busy post-bac schedule

I'll admit I'm a little frustrated that it feels like people that applied to their DO program and didn't get in are getting a priority for this program even if someone else submitted earlier. Not that it's your fault of course, but this waiting game has dragged on a little more than I expected.

I submitted around the first week of February, so it shouldn't be much longer for you. Email Ms. Hewitt and when you get an email back stating committee is currently reviewing your application then you should get a decision within 1-2 weeks.

It's better to ask the school directly about where applicants been accepted to in the past after the completion of this program (besides VCOM).

I believe everyone going into this program wants to be a DO student at VCOM. But, I'm sure there are those who apply to other schools (maybe closer to where they live) either before starting the postbacc or after its completion and in my opinion, these are probably DO schools, as well.

While there's no doubt the classes in this postbacc are 1st-year medical school courses, I think, If you want to apply to MD schools in the future then you should also look into MD related SMPs (like ones at Rfu, Drexel, etc).

Thank you for clarifying this point. I want to go the DO route, but it would be nice to get into the MD school in my state, but DO will be just fine as I want to go into primary care.

not yet, but I will let you know tho if I do .

Thanks, I'd greatly appreciate it. If you hear from them and I don't, I'll likely need to contact them at that point to see what's up.

do you guys know the average processing time??? If I'm complete in February when should I expect to hear back

I might email them next week if I don't hear back this week. Cause that will mark the 8th week... Crossing my fingers for hearing something tomorrow!

Reactions: 2 users
Got my acceptance email on Friday, I'm super excited! If anyone is looking for a roommate let me know!

Reactions: 5 users
Got my acceptance email on Friday, I'm super excited! If anyone is looking for a roommate let me know!

You had transferred you app over in mid March right? They really give priority to the people that apply through AACOMAS o_O Thank you for updating us and congratulations!

You had transferred you app over in mid March right? They really give priority to the people that apply through AACOMAS o_O Thank you for updating us and congratulations!

Yep, I requested everything to be transferred about 3.5 weeks ago. I think it's just so much easier with the grades already calculated. Stay strong!!

I got accepted on Friday as well! I am a TX resident and have not applied for medical school at all (doing the postbacc while I apply for the upcoming cycle). My application was complete mid-February.

Reactions: 4 users
I got accepted on Friday as well! I am a TX resident and have not applied for medical school at all (doing the postbacc while I apply for the upcoming cycle). My application was complete mid-February.
Do you mind sharing your stats? :) Congratulations!!

Do you mind sharing your stats? :) Congratulations!!

I am not sure what my calculated gpa for VCOM is (I transferred schools) but per my pre-med adviser: cgpa: 3.67 and sgpa: 3.32. I have not taken the MCAT yet but have it scheduled for this upcoming May.

I am not sure what my calculated gpa for VCOM is (I transferred schools) but per my pre-med adviser: cgpa: 3.67 and sgpa: 3.32. I have not taken the MCAT yet but have it scheduled for this upcoming May.

Why did you not just take the MCAT and apply to schools with those stats? You have like 5 med schools in your state alone and use a unique application portal which puts the odds in your favor as well.? Not that I'm unhappy for you of course, but you could probably save a chunk of money just applying directly if you knock your MCAT out of the park.

Why did you not just take the MCAT and apply to schools with those stats? You have like 5 med schools in your state alone and use a unique application portal which puts the odds in your favor as well.? Not that I'm unhappy for you of course, but you could probably save a chunk of money just applying directly if you knock your MCAT out of the park.
Texas med schools are hard to get into. The likes of Baylor, UTSW, UH have average incoming gpas of 3.7+ and 510.
At my undergrad alone there were 50 pre meds applying the same year. It's not as easy as you may think.