This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The only people who have ever gotten into a med program directly with a score that bad is that they were URM and had an extremely compelling story. A regular person applying isn't going to get anywhere with a score that bad applying directly. How long did you study for the test? I was able to get a score that is the average for matriculants to DO schools but it took me 3 months of studying. Was the Kaplan thing a course or was it self-study?

I was balancing studying with my hardest semester/last semester of undergrad, being leader of a lab group and working as a teaching assistant for 2 classes w/ labs. So even though I took the time to study every day, it was not the only thing I was focused on which clearly hurt me in the end. It was self-study, because my pre-med adviser thought that was most helpful so I took his advice.

And that's awesome that it took you 3 months to study for that score! But, it's hard to make comparison between each person since everyone is different. I know that I personally take a little longer to feel comfortable with material than other people.

Members don't see this ad.

I think they put people on waitlist to see how many ppl that were rejected from med school will be

How did you study?

Wait what do you mean by waitlisting people only to see how many people that were rejected from med school

I was balancing studying with my hardest semester/last semester of undergrad, being leader of a lab group and working as a teaching assistant for 2 classes w/ labs. So even though I took the time to study every day, it was not the only thing I was focused on which clearly hurt me in the end. It was self-study, because my pre-med adviser thought that was most helpful so I took his advice.

And that's awesome that it took you 3 months to study for that score! But, it's hard to make comparison between each person since everyone is different. I know that I personally take a little longer to feel comfortable with material than other people.

I did it over the summer with only a part time job that even let me study while I was working, so I was very fortunate in how much time I could put in. If you're going to study for the MCAT, you can't balance it with anything else (major) if you want to do well.

Wait what do you mean by waitlisting people only to see how many people that were rejected from med school

People who get rejected usually transfer their application over. I'm not sure if they really wait on this but it seems like people who transfer their apps have been getting priority.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my acceptance yesterday in the early afternoon! cGPA 3.2 sGPA 3.1 MCAT 23 tons of clinical experience with work, research, shadowing, and volunteering. Oh and I applied at the end of October!

Reactions: 3 users
I got my acceptance yesterday in the early afternoon! cGPA 3.2 sGPA 3.1 MCAT 23 tons of clinical experience with work, research, shadowing, and volunteering. Oh and I applied at the end of October!

Dang that was quite a while ago, congrats! I'm glad to hear you can get in with the old MCAT since I had one too. :)

Dang that was quite a while ago, congrats! I'm glad to hear you can get in with the old MCAT since I had one too. :)

Thank you! Yeah, I took the old one right at the end of when you could still take it so it's still under 3 years out

Thank you! Yeah, I took the old one right at the end of when you could still take it so it's still under 3 years out

Haha me too in September! Mine was a good bit higher too so maybe that's a good sign for me :D

Reactions: 1 user
hi everyone! congrats to those who have been accepted so far! I just applied to this program on Monday and I'm super excited about it! What do you guys think about my chances?
3.53/3.35 cGPA and sGPA, with an upward trend.
494 MCAT (planning on retaking this summer/fall--if anyone has study tips, let me know!)
I have 2 years of medical research, shadowing experience, volunteering hours and I'm currently working as a medical scribe (been doing that for the past 6 months). I'm honestly nervous I applied too late, but VCOM was one of my top choices for this past application cycle so I'm going to stay hopeful.

I am applying with similar stats....3.55/3.47 GPA with a 492 MCAT. I have tons of volunteer and shadowing experience. I also work at a hospital (3 years) where I get direct patient care experience. Also a college athlete. I applied to several DO programs this year and even got a couple of interviews. Still waitlisted at one DO program. I contacted VCOM concerning my application and a couple of weeks ago they told me I was still under review. This program told me I shouldn't apply until I had officially been told I was not accepted to the DO program. Even said that the application deadline didn't matter for those having their info transferred from DO. So with that being said, I don't think you are too late!
And best of luck!

Has anyone gotten flat out rejected. I'm wondering if I should even waste my time trying to hope that maybe I have a chance of being pushed in from the wait list

Has anyone gotten flat out rejected. I'm wondering if I should even waste my time trying to hope that maybe I have a chance of being pushed in from the wait list

If you haven't already, I would definitely start getting apps into other schools ASAP to be safe. It's not smart to bank on one wait list.

Applied and had LoR's + Transcripts transferred from AACOMAS about a week ago. Will probably be a while until I hear back but I'll keep people in loop to reference timeline for others. Applied with a 3.2 GPA and 492 MCAT. Planning on MCAT retake April 22nd.

Thinking about applying to MUCOM and LECOM post-bacc as well, but maybe after I get MCAT score back? Anyone wanna comment?

Thanks.

Applied and had LoR's + Transcripts transferred from AACOMAS about a week ago. Will probably be a while until I hear back but I'll keep people in loop to reference timeline for others. Applied with a 3.2 GPA and 492 MCAT. Planning on MCAT retake April 22nd.

Thinking about applying to MUCOM and LECOM post-bacc as well, but maybe after I get MCAT score back? Anyone wanna comment?

Thanks.
Were you rejected from VCOM DO program? Keep us posted. I have similar stats and would love to know your outcome. Good luck here and on MCAT.

I forgot to mention that my acceptance email was in my junk/spam mail, so keep an eye out for that!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention that my acceptance email was in my junk/spam mail, so keep an eye out for that!

*Furiously checks spam folders* Nope....still nothin'. :/

Were you rejected from VCOM DO program? Keep us posted. I have similar stats and would love to know your outcome. Good luck here and on MCAT.
Withdrew. Have you applied to program yet? Are you applying to others?

Withdrew. Have you applied to program yet? Are you applying to others?
I haven't applied yet, but definitely will apply whenever I can get my application from the DO Program. And I just sent in my application today to Lincoln Memorial. They don't have a guaranteed acceptance, only a promise of an interview. But it's pretty close to home and my brother is in PA school there.

*Furiously checks spam folders* Nope....still nothin'. :/

I actually never even got the first email in either folder. When I emailed to check on status they said they sent it 3 weeks prior. :inpain:

Reactions: 1 users
I actually never even got the first email in either folder. When I emailed to check on status they said they sent it 3 weeks prior. :inpain:

Oh god now I'm really panicking. It's been nearly 2 months of waiting and I don't want to pester them too much, but I would really like to know *anything* at this point. :S

Oh god now I'm really panicking. It's been nearly 2 months of waiting and I don't want to pester them too much, but I would really like to know *anything* at this point. :S

I don't think you should worry. If you been in touch with Alisa and if you have been receiving her emails, then you would get the next one as well. She is the one who would respond back with the admissions committee's decision. Or, at least that's what she wrote in my last email.

But, it's always better to mark her emails as "important" and add their contact info in whatever email service you use.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied in January, but still have not heard back anything. Have anyone received decision yet if you applied in January as well?

I received an acceptance today. Submitted around January 2nd ish. 3.5 cGPA 3.8 sGPA 494 mcat . One publication good amount of volunteerism and excellent LORs. Good luck everybody !

I received an acceptance today. Submitted around January 2nd ish. 3.5 cGPA 3.8 sGPA 494 mcat . One publication good amount of volunteerism and excellent LORs. Good luck everybody !

Congrats!

Was your acceptance email sent by Alisa, or someone else? Thanks!

Damn all you needed was an MCAT retake 500+ and would several acceptances various DO schools

How many people were accepted that are looking for a roommates? I have one potential one but there are 4 bedroom 4 bathroom apartment's available that would be even cheaper than just 2 bedrooms

How many people were accepted that are looking for a roommates? I have one potential one but there are 4 bedroom 4 bathroom apartment's available that would be even cheaper than just 2 bedrooms
I am when I get my acceptance letter should be coming soon... . I have a dog let me know if that's not a concern for you

I am when I get my acceptance letter should be coming soon... . I have a dog let me know if that's not a concern for you
Ok, just let me know when you get in. We are looking to make moves pretty soon because pricing is going up and availability is going down lol

So I applied Mid January, and I called today just to make sure they had my current work LOR...and they said I won't hear back for like another 3-4 weeks loll I completely understand though, I know they're busy.

Ok, just let me know when you get in. We are looking to make moves pretty soon because pricing is going up and availability is going down lol
What's the start date of the program? How far in advance before the program would you be moving in?

I would be interested if I get in as well.

Got mine friday
Congrats!!!
Thanks for your reply! I submitted on Jan 13th but they didn't complete my application until Feb 2nd due to LOR. So should I ask them?
or you think its still too early?

Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing your stats:)
Did you submit your application on Jan 2nd or they complete your application that included all your LOR on Jan 2nd?
Because, I submitted my application on Jan 13th but they didn't receive all my material until the 2nd on Feb.

Congrats!!!
Thanks for your reply! I submitted on Jan 13th but they didn't complete my application until Feb 2nd due to LOR. So should I ask them?
or you think its still too early?
Mine was processed by the end of feb so i think you should hear something by next week

Unless you're missing significant portions of pre reqs you might be better served studying for an MCAT retake and then applying.

Apparently I have two accounts so I apologize for the confusion...

Damn all you needed was an MCAT retake 500+ and would several acceptances various DO schools

I thought about retaking but believe I wold be better served by a postbac + I the guarantee of the VCOM graduate certificate program. I could be wrong tho

What's the start date of the program? How far in advance before the program would you be moving in?

I think the orientation is the July 24th and the program starts July 25th but I could be wrong

Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing your stats:)
Did you submit your application on Jan 2nd or they complete your application that included all your LOR on Jan 2nd?
Because, I submitted my application on Jan 13th but they didn't receive all my material until the 2nd on Feb.

I submitted my "complete" application back in October but was placed on hold till my fall grades came in. I submitted my fall grades in January and was marked complete soon after. I know they had a few people out of the office in January so things backed up. I bet you will hear next week or the week after!

Unless you're missing significant portions of pre reqs you might be better served studying for an MCAT retake and then applying.

I thought about it but since my score was soooooooooooooo bad (with a tremendous amount of prep) I assumed I had large gaps of knowledge that could be filled by VCOM's program.

Apparently I have two accounts so I apologize for the confusion...

I thought about retaking but believe I wold be better served by a postbac + I the guarantee of the VCOM graduate certificate program. I could be wrong tho

I think the orientation is the July 24th and the program starts July 25th but I could be wrong

I submitted my "complete" application back in October but was placed on hold till my fall grades came in. I submitted my fall grades in January and was marked complete soon after. I know they had a few people out of the office in January so things backed up. I bet you will hear next week or the week after!

I thought about it but since my score was soooooooooooooo bad (with a tremendous amount of prep) I assumed I had large gaps of knowledge that could be filled by VCOM's program.

The program will serve you well. I had the almost the exact same stats and the same thought process. It'll help with test taking strategy, future boards and being able to place well for residency! Congratulations!

do you guys know anybody that got in with a below 3.0 science GPA. I currently have a 2.98 and I'm waiting on finishing my biochem course. should i ask them to make it complete now and update my biochem or wait for biochem so i dont get rejected.
Id appreciate any help

So I'm from CA. 500 MCAT. 3.2/3.0 cGPA and sGPA.
Lots of extra curriculars
Submitted app Mid january
Haven't heard back from them yet

Any suggestions for other 1 year post bacc's I should apply to as back up??

you havent heard back