This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My MCAT was pretty low...let's just say in the 490's. I have plans to retake in June, but I may move it because I am not sure if I can still get a 500+. I am gonna see what the next couple of practice tests show before I decide if I am going to move the date. I have applied here and LMU. I also am waitlisted at a DO school. I'm really torn on what to do. I don't want to spend the $$ for nothing, but I've also heard that if you do well in a program like this, then the ADCOMs will look more favorable at a lower MCAT, so that would open my option back up if I didn't get in VCOM next year. Another plus I've heard is that this keeps you in the student frame of mind and actually makes 1st year of med school a little easier.

How did you study?? Your logic makes sense but I think you can move that MCAT up. Message me if you need materials :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! I recently had my application transferred from the DO program. However, I received an email from the admissions director stating that in her opinion I should save my money and not do this program because my grades were fine, just my MCAT was on the low side. Did you happen to get anything like that? (sgpa 3.56, cgpa 3.69, low MCAT but did get some DO interviews this season. Lots of clinical experience and shadowing). I was just wondering what your thoughts were on this since our stats are similar.

I did not get an email like that. But we are kind of in the same situation.
I personally would still do this program. My MCAT is "high" enough to where I would need a 3.6 gpa in the fall to be accepted in the DO class.
I know the 3.6 is going to be a lot of work, but it is doable. This program will prepare us for first year of medical school at VCOM. I believe our professors will be actual medical school professors. We also have that AMAZING opportunity of going to Honduras for a medical mission.
I'm all for this program.

I did not get an email like that. But we are kind of in the same situation.
I personally would still do this program. My MCAT is "high" enough to where I would need a 3.6 gpa in the fall to be accepted in the DO class.
I know the 3.6 is going to be a lot of work, but it is doable. This program will prepare us for first year of medical school at VCOM. I believe our professors will be actual medical school professors. We also have that AMAZING opportunity of going to Honduras for a medical mission.
I'm all for this program.

That's the way I am leaning at this point. I am afraid that if I don't attend this program or one similar it will really hurt me as far as studying because I will be out of the habit. And I love the idea of a medical mission too. I did one with my undergrad in Dominican Republic during spring break last year and it was awesome. And this program is definitely my 1st choice! I also applied to LMU as a backup, but it's much more expensive and not as good of a path to acceptance. But it's close to home and my brother is in the PA program there. I also still have a possible acceptance into another DO program if there is waitlist movement. I feel that this program will give me lots of options next year too. I really like VCOM and would love to attend their SC campus, but I will probably apply to other schools as well next year just so I'll have options. Good luck to you and hopefully we'll be classmates.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the way I am leaning at this point. I am afraid that if I don't attend this program or one similar it will really hurt me as far as studying because I will be out of the habit. And I love the idea of a medical mission too. I did one with my undergrad in Dominican Republic during spring break last year and it was awesome. And this program is definitely my 1st choice! I also applied to LMU as a backup, but it's much more expensive and not as good of a path to acceptance. But it's close to home and my brother is in the PA program there. I also still have a possible acceptance into another DO program if there is waitlist movement. I feel that this program will give me lots of options next year too. I really like VCOM and would love to attend their SC campus, but I will probably apply to other schools as well next year just so I'll have options. Good luck to you and hopefully we'll be classmates.

As far as I know, they are discontinuing the Medical Mission trips for the Graduate Certificate Class. Our class, current class, was the last group to be able to participate. With the growing class numbers, 100+, it's getting too hard to coordinate. I'm not sure if that's official yet, but just as a warning!

(They are still available for mission trips during your 2nd year and as a rotation during 3rd year)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I transferred my AACOMAS to the post-bac program today.
Is there an informal phone/Skype interview in the application process?

Thank you!

Hi everyone, I transferred my AACOMAS to the post-bac program today.
Is there an informal phone/Skype interview in the application process?

Thank you!

No. It'd be good to go through this thread and read everything.

I emailed Ms. Hewitt today to get an update on my application. She said "I do have your file in process, it should go to the admissions committee this week, so hopefully not too much longer. I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I have the decision back from the admissions committee."

I emailed Ms. Hewitt today to get an update on my application. She said "I do have your file in process, it should go to the admissions committee this week, so hopefully not too much longer. I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I have the decision back from the admissions committee."
Yeah that is pretty much what she told me... I would love to hear back by May so I can tell my landlord I am not renewing. But I know they are busy so I am not holding my breath...

Reactions: 1 users
I also heard something similar. Looking forward to seeing the SDN fam get in. :)

Reactions: 2 users
As far as I know, they are discontinuing the Medical Mission trips for the Graduate Certificate Class. Our class, current class, was the last group to be able to participate. With the growing class numbers, 100+, it's getting too hard to coordinate. I'm not sure if that's official yet, but just as a warning!

(They are still available for mission trips during your 2nd year and as a rotation during 3rd year)

Ahhh man, that sucks! I was looking forward to those opportunities.

I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind answering!
How bad does winter get in VA? I'm from south Texas and the thought of cold weather and snow is kind of scaring me!
Also, what is the situation with textbooks? Do they provide them to us?

How bad does winter get in VA? I'm from south Texas and the thought of cold weather and snow is kind of scaring me!
The winters are not that bad in VA. A couple of years ago my car got snowed in pretty heavy but most years are pretty mild. By mild I mean only a couple of inches at a time lol. Just invest in a ice scrapper for your car and good tires :p

Winter wasn't bad but I was also told that it was a very weird winter for here. We had probably 3 snow storms with enough snow for plows. My car doesn't have 4 wheel drive and I was fine getting around town. I bought a parka in October and lived in in until about 3 weeks ago. Just have the right winter gear, a heated blanket at home, you'll be golden. I'm also afraid for next years winter. We will see! (coming from someone from the west coast)

Textbooks are not provided and are encouraged for certain courses. I only bought the old physiology and embryology textbooks. I really liked it for physiology! I received a free copy of Nutrition-- life saver. I aced the course when many were struggling. Most professors will tell you that they are not needed. I only bought them when I knew lectures were not going to be enough for me to full grasp the material. Totally up to you!

The winters are not that bad in VA. A couple of years ago my car got snowed in pretty heavy but most years are pretty mild. By mild I mean only a couple of inches at a time lol. Just invest in a ice scrapper for your car and good tires :p

Oh goodness. That kind of sounds terrifying. ho
Winter wasn't bad but I was also told that it was a very weird winter for here. We had probably 3 snow storms with enough snow for plows. My car doesn't have 4 wheel drive and I was fine getting around town. I bought a parka in October and lived in in until about 3 weeks ago. Just have the right winter gear, a heated blanket at home, you'll be golden. I'm also afraid for next years winter. We will see! (coming from someone from the west coast)

Textbooks are not provided and are encouraged for certain courses. I only bought the old physiology and embryology textbooks. I really liked it for physiology! I received a free copy of Nutrition-- life saver. I aced the course when many were struggling. Most professors will tell you that they are not needed. I only bought them when I knew lectures were not going to be enough for me to full grasp the material. Totally up to you!

I'm finishing up undergrad right now. And I'm so used to studying by using lecture notes and reading the textbooks. I think I may end up getting most of them. I'm going to try to read/skim the chapters before the lectures. Hopefully it works out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh goodness. That kind of sounds terrifying. ho

I'm finishing up undergrad right now. And I'm so used to studying by using lecture notes and reading the textbooks. I think I may end up getting most of them. I'm going to try to read/skim the chapters before the lectures. Hopefully it works out!

Letting you know now that reading the chapters is going to be a huge waste of time. I used to do the same thing, but you don't have time for it when you're plowing through 24 chapters a week with exams happening every week! You'll adjust and do well!

Hi everyone! I applied late in the last cycle and so my application was rolled over to the current one. 3.2sGPA 3.2 cGPA; haven't taken the MCAT yet. I'm planing to take it in April. Do you guys think I have good chances? :((((( I really want to do the VCOM program. I went to their open house and LOVED it!
Hi everyone! I applied late in the last cycle and so my application was rolled over to the current one. 3.2sGPA 3.2 cGPA; haven't taken the MCAT yet. I'm planing to take it in April. Do you guys think I have good chances? :((((( I really want to do the VCOM program. I went to their open house and LOVED it!

I applied late December/early January and I have yet to hear back :( I really want to know before I make my decision on PCOM

I knew it was wishful thinking to hope for hearing back by today. She said review by this week and "not too long after", so hopefully that doesn't mean a week later than that. I need to know what I'm doing with my future!! :)

I'm afraid to bug her too much to ask her what's going on with my application. I emailed her almost 2 weeks ago, when do you guys think I should ask her again? Maybe in 1-2 more weeks? Gah. I feel like I've never checked my email this much :confused:

I applied late December/early January and I have yet to hear back :( I really want to know before I make my decision on PCOM
Have you asked for an update on your application status?

I'm afraid to bug her too much to ask her what's going on with my application. I emailed her almost 2 weeks ago, when do you guys think I should ask her again? Maybe in 1-2 more weeks? Gah. I feel like I've never checked my email this much :confused:

Did you bite the bullet for TUN? I think you applied a lot later than us so I wouldn't expect to hear anything soon. Probably not worth emailing about.

Letting you know now that reading the chapters is going to be a huge waste of time. I used to do the same thing, but you don't have time for it when you're plowing through 24 chapters a week with exams happening every week! You'll adjust and do well!

Ohh, I didn't realize it would be that many chapters.
Would you recommend just using lecture notes to study?

Did you bite the bullet for TUN? I think you applied a lot later than us so I wouldn't expect to hear anything soon. Probably not worth emailing about.
Yeah I don't expect to hear back until may anyways, so better to just not bother her anymore. Actually still deciding about TUN (I have a 2 weeks notice), the more and more I research... the more it feels like it may not be worth it.

how did you phrase it when you asked her for an update. like you just asked her for an update

Every tuesday I am checking my email like a crazy person, then 5pm hits and I get sad for another week.... :(

do people usually hear back on tuesday?? Also is Alisa hewitt on the admissions committee and she's also the coordinator

I am wondering if the 4-8 weeks that was quoted on the website is just for the admissions committee and not from the day that your application is complete. If so, we probably won't hear back until June :arghh:

do people usually hear back on tuesday?? Also is Alisa hewitt on the admissions committee and she's also the coordinator
On this site it seems many get an email on Tuesdays. I think she is the Admissions Coordinator but the Committee is a big group of people. I am sure she has some say since she is the one who answers our emails.

I am wondering if the 4-8 weeks that was quoted on the website is just for the admissions committee and not from the day that your application is complete. If so, we probably won't hear back until June :arghh:

Many of us asked for an update and was told our application would reach the admin committee last week and it "does not take much longer from then" to reach a decision. It looks like from your post history you heard the same thing. I don't think either of us will be waiting until June. I would personally be pretty frustrated as that gives almost no time to get my life across the country.

On this site it seems many get an email on Tuesdays. I think she is the Admissions Coordinator but the Committee is a big group of people. I am sure she has some say since she is the one who answers our emails.

There are lots of people on here who have heard on Thursday and Friday (more than Tuesday from what I've seen). Those are the days I check the most diligently until 3pm my time.

less people apply please

yeah exactly she answers with authority

I applied early march and was told my application was complete March 21st. The way its going in this forum, should I wait to hear back by June?

I applied early march and was told my application was complete March 21st. The way its going in this forum, should I wait to hear back by June?

Yeah you're going to be hearing back pretty late. They're receiving more applications than ever before due to the AACOMAS changes. That doesn't mean you should lose hope, but make sure you have the ability to drop everything to go there within a month if you get it.

Yeah you're going to be hearing back pretty late. They're receiving more applications than ever before due to the AACOMAS changes. That doesn't mean you should lose hope, but make sure you have the ability to drop everything to go there within a month if you get it.

It'll be during my gap year, so no problem at all in dropping everything. I just hope there are seats left down the line.

do you guys think there are a lot of people applying

Anybody have any opinions about Drexel's DPMS program... I received an interview for it and I'm kinda leaning towards it. Hopefully it leads to an acceptance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You should 1000% pick Drexel over VCOM if you can get into dpms.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. It being a MD school with the same conditional acceptance guarantee. Plus the possibility of getting grad plus loans over asking Sallie Mae

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah it's not even a question. The Drexel program is a significantly better opportunity if it's an option for you.

Oh **** what? I'm terrified now. What were your stats??

3.1 overall GPA and 2.9 sGPA. My MCAT was horrible (490s). I have 1,000+ hours of clinical experience, volunteering

3.1 overall GPA and 2.9 sGPA. My MCAT was horrible (490s). I have 1,000+ hours of clinical experience, volunteering

Sorry to hear that. Did you take your PCOM acceptance? They're a pretty good school. My overall GPA is pretty similar but my sGPA should be higher and I have a significantly higher MCAT, so maybe that can offset the fact that I don't have over 1k hours (damn son).

Sorry to hear that. Did you take your PCOM acceptance? They're a pretty good school. My overall GPA is pretty similar but my sGPA should be higher and I have a significantly higher MCAT, so maybe that can offset the fact that I don't have over 1k hours (damn son).

Yes! I have already accepted it. I'm kind of happy because I was PCOM > VCOM to begin with. I think your MCAT should boost you up! Haha and thanks, scribing and sticking to it really paid off. Good luck to you! Let me know what happens with VCOM