2018-2019 Dell Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Texas - Dell Medical School

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
From the "Applicant's Guide to Admissions" on the Dell Admin page, info about Dell's unique 'video secondary':

In an effort to give a greater number of applicants the opportunity to present themselves to theselection committee in their own voice, Dell Medical School utilizes a unique video secondary application. Applicants selected for the Full Review will be sent an invitation to complete the video secondary application. This invitation e -mail will include a link to the application portal, as well as instruction on how to prepare for the interview. There is no fee for completing the video sec ondary which consists of 3 short questions. Candidates will have two minutes to record their responses to each question. These questions address specific attributes related to the mission of Dell Medical School and give the candidate an opportunity to high light how they feel their experiences complement this mission

All applicants should read the guide in full as it includes detailed information about the way Dell reviews its applicants:

Box

Just a tip to those of you fortunate enough to get a secondary: definitely read up on Dell’s mission and goals, as well as any other suggestions they give you in the email invitation. Additionally, I suggest looking for the old secondary that had essay questions (should be in the 2016-2017 thread) and do your best to answer those well. You won’t get these questions on the video secondary, but the questions they give you are related and if you’ve thought through those questions, you should be ready for whatever questions the video throws at you.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to add to @eljefemdfuturo's fine post, REMEMBER that everyone who finishes the video secondary will feel like they bombed it! So if you feel that way after you have finished it, then it's normal...

Does anyone know when they typically give out secondary invites?

I received the email today saying that they got my application. Anyone know when video secondary invites will be sent out?

So some questions about the whole video aspect.
Is it a live recording of you responding to the question? or do you get multiple tries? to make sure you get it right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary invite today! Transmitted mid May

did these all come out at the same time mass email style or are they rolling out throughout the day

Lol is your username a hint at your stats? 3.7/526
No haha, it's from one of my favorite movies ;)

Quick question, how are we expected to dress for the video secondary? Suit and tie?

From the "Applicant's Guide to Admissions" on the Dell Admin page, info about Dell's unique 'video secondary':

In an effort to give a greater number of applicants the opportunity to present themselves to theselection committee in their own voice, Dell Medical School utilizes a unique video secondary application. Applicants selected for the Full Review will be sent an invitation to complete the video secondary application. This invitation e -mail will include a link to the application portal, as well as instruction on how to prepare for the interview. There is no fee for completing the video sec ondary which consists of 3 short questions. Candidates will have two minutes to record their responses to each question. These questions address specific attributes related to the mission of Dell Medical School and give the candidate an opportunity to high light how they feel their experiences complement this mission

All applicants should read the guide in full as it includes detailed information about the way Dell reviews its applicants: (check original post because I'm new and can't post links)

This document makes me think that the video secondary won't replace the in-person interview, but in the secondary invite email Dell suggested that it can replace the in-person interview. Not super important atm (one step at a time) but it's food for thought

No haha, it's from one of my favorite movies ;)

Quick question, how are we expected to dress for the video secondary? Suit and tie?

The "helpful tips" attachment says we don't have to wear interview attire and to be comfortable but not shabby. So business casual? haha

This document makes me think that the video secondary won't replace the in-person interview, but in the secondary invite email Dell suggested that it can replace the in-person interview. Not super important atm (one step at a time) but it's food for thought

They did the video secondary last year and it’s just that: a secondary. The interview is still it’s own. The email meant that because so many people do not normally get the chance to interview, the video secondary provides them a way to present themselves face to face to the committee. Quite a nice idea. Personally I’m looking forward to talking for 2 min at a time more than agonizing over essays for hours haha

Will they send another batch out or y’all think this was it? Also do they only consider apps for reviews for secondaries when the lors are in?

Will they send another batch out or y’all think this was it? Also do they only consider apps for reviews for secondaries when the lors are in?

I got a secondary invite today and my LOR's arent in yet!

Transmitted mid May, 74 LM

Last edited:
TIPS for the video secondary:

1) Do it in a quiet room where you won't have any interruptions
2) Pre-record yourself on your laptop/desktop for a trial run to see how you will look and whether your microphone will pick up your voice clearly
3) Practice a few times before doing it. The time (I forget) they give you for each question goes by really fast IRL
4) Unless you are an outlier, you will feel like you bombed it because you will do the "shoulda, coulda, said this, blah blah blah" after the session ends.
5) GL!!!

I got a secondary invite today and my LOR's arent in yet!

Transmitted mid May, 74 LM
Well damn looks like I didn’t make the cut I was missing my lors so I was just wondering lol. GL to everyone on the secondary

You have carried your interpretation of the email too far. The video secondary does NOT replace an in-person interview and nobody gets accepted at a US medical school without interviewing in person.

Well damn looks like I didn’t make the cut I was missing my lors so I was just wondering lol. GL to everyone on the secondary
They might send out another batch of secondary invites, right?

They might send out another batch of secondary invites, right?

I sure hope so, this feels like McGovern all over again lol. I guess I better get used to this real quick

I sure hope so, this feels like McGovern all over again lol. I guess I better get used to this real quick
lol yep, I can feel the anxiety starting to set in. This will be an interesting year to say the least.

Idk if it’ll be like mcg because of how small dell is and with only 20% receiving secondaries

Do you guys think getting this secondary means my primary was okay? Or is the secondary screen automated/based on stats?

Do you guys think getting this secondary means my primary was okay? Or is the secondary screen automated/based on stats?
I think is the latter, if I recall correctly. We had a speaker from Dell that works with admissions and they have an excel sheet with everyone that has submitted and they blackout the people that don't meet requirements (GPA and MCAT). Those that do get a secondary. FYI, I attend their undergrad.

I think is the latter, if I recall correctly. We had a speaker from Dell that works with admissions and they have an excel sheet with everyone that has submitted and they blackout the people that don't meet requirements (GPA and MCAT). Those that do get a secondary. FYI, I attend their undergrad.
Do you know by any chance what the requirements are?

Do you know by any chance what the requirements are?

Dont worry @thegrind33 , if it is just a stats screen, then its just like McGovern in the fact that we should be solid but just havent been sent one yet for one meaningless reason or another.

Last years thread a lot of high stat peeps didnt get the secondary till the 2nd or 3rd day, so hopefully its not like well be waiting till next week for this one.

I also doubt they’ve had the chance to read this many primaries already. same with lubbock, prob auto interview based on stats

There's no minimum GPA/MCAT cut off. Dell will not toss your app because of those measures. With a lower LM, your app might be passed up the 1st or 2nd review, but eventually, if you have something in your background that screams out service to community that Dell really really likes, you will get a later-in-the-cycle 2nd invite, time permitting.

Dell really does a holistic approach to its admissions process.

There's no minimum GPA/MCAT cut off. Dell will not toss your app because of those measures. With a lower LM, your app might be passed up the 1st or 2nd review, but eventually, if you have something in your background that screams out service to community that Dell really really likes, you will get a later-in-the-cycle 2nd invite, time permitting.

Dell really does a holistic approach to its admissions process.

Yup, I forgot to mention that as well!

Received secondary invitation today around 4:30pm. Transmitted 5/11 LOR submitted literally today lol (sic em bears)

In state, non-traditional, ORM female

Lizzy M 72

Got the secondary today as well. LizzyM 65, ORM.

Do all parts of your app, such as having all letters in, have to be completed in order to receive a secondary invite?

Received secondary at 9:26am today, transmitted 6/7, no LOR in yet.

Just completed the secondary! Just relax, it's a lot more fun and much easier than writing tons of essays.

any oos applicants receive a secondary today? I'm hoping I didn't get one because i'm oos