2018-2019 Rocky Vista University (Ivins, Utah)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard that people who are not accepted right away will get an email. In that email they will tell you if you are on a waitlist or not.
Calls should be coming in 30 minutes from this POST

Sent from my SM-J730GM using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I haven't received a call yet, is it safe to say I have been waitlisted or rejected? Interviewed last Monday

Accepted, call came like 1 hour ago.

Reactions: 1 user
ACCEPTED!!!! CALLS CKNJNG IN STILL.....

Calls will be coming in....pardon me..I feel drunk without touching alcohol!!

Want you all to know that they atexstill calling IN

They completed the INTERVIEWS of the Day...before calling in ...so hang in there my dear friends!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! My portal does not have any link for the accepted paperwork. Anybody else having this issue?

Accepted!! Received a voicemail after landing from a flight. Best news ever :)

Reactions: 2 users
For those who are complete, how long did it take? I submitted my supplement app about a week ago and my portal still says applicant. Just want to have a rough timeframe so i don't drive myself crazy. Thanks

Interview day here was great. Southern Utah is insanely beautiful and the people in St. George are so nice! I was able to explore the area a bit after my interview and I was blown away by the mountains. Even the campus was gorgeous! Lots of study rooms, huge simulation labs and widows everywhere!

The school itself really impressed me. From the time I stepped on campus I felt welcomed. Jennifer and Whitney are incredibly sweet and make sure you feel comfortable (they even made brownies for us!) You can really tell the faculty really cares about their students. From the interview experience, the deposit policy, and speaking with the dean, its clear they are willing to go the extra mile to make sure students succeed and are happy. I really appreciated that. They have established their rotation sites already and a ton of physician preceptors around Utah. Class attendance isn't required but they do require students to take COMLEX and USMLE since they are merging residency spots in the near future.

The thing that most surprised me was the students! Every single student that walked by made a point to sit down and say hi and answer all of our questions. Although they had just finished their MSK unit they seemed genuinely happy and excited to talk with us about literally anything. The interview itself was a conversation. We had lunch with our interviewers before the actual interview so we were able to meet them and talk with them in a casual environment. Overall I am high key impressed and genuinely enjoyed my time here.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the acceptance call!

Same!!!! Just got the call.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Accepted via phone call! Loved the atmosphere here. Very relaxed environment and has that "small town" feeling

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone speak about the curriculum? If they are moving to a Pass/Fail instead of number grade?

Can anyone speak about the curriculum? If they are moving to a Pass/Fail instead of number grade?

There are rumors that they will with to pass/fail at some point, but i haven't heard anything from admin about that.

Completion date of my last needed materials(letters) is 8/10/18. Supplemental and few were submitted 7/21. I didn’t get an official completion email. One of my tabs says “Applicant -UT” and I applied to Utah and Colorado, so i’m assuming they already chose one school for me. My admission status says file complete. Should I have heard something by now?

Systems based 2-pass style.

Year 1 is “normal” with each block/system covering anatomy/phys/biochem for that system, there is a little pathology mixed in.

Year 2 is “abnormal” with each block/system having a brief review of normal followed by pathology and pharmacology.

Your clinical medicine (physical exams, standardized patients) and osteopathic principles classes run the full year with on avg 1 lecture and 2-hour lab per week for each.

RVU is pass/fail with pass >70%. Each course is scaled to a class avg of 83% if needed (i.e. class avg is 79%, class is scaled up 4%; class avg 86% no scale occurs). Honors is passing a course and achieving >90% of total course points. Yes, your grade is reported as a “number” for class ranking purposes, but there is no A/B/C designation.

Your pre-clinical grades matter little so long as your passing. Sure “honors” and class rank can be “nice” but look at the NRMP program director’s survey data - for most specalities and realistic residency programs they don’t care.

Systems based 2-pass style.

Year 1 is “normal” with each block/system covering anatomy/phys/biochem for that system, there is a little pathology mixed in.

Year 2 is “abnormal” with each block/system having a brief review of normal followed by pathology and pharmacology.

Your clinical medicine (physical exams, standardized patients) and osteopathic principles classes run the full year with on avg 1 lecture and 2-hour lab per week for each.

RVU is pass/fail with pass >70%. Each course is scaled to a class avg of 83% if needed (i.e. class avg is 79%, class is scaled up 4%; class avg 86% no scale occurs). Honors is passing a course and achieving >90% of total course points. Yes, your grade is reported as a “number” for class ranking purposes, but there is no A/B/C designation.

Your pre-clinical grades matter little so long as your passing. Sure “honors” and class rank can be “nice” but look at the NRMP program director’s survey data - for most specalities and realistic residency programs they don’t care.

@pioneer321 summed it up nice. But it sounds like they are moving to the pass/fail system for class of '23... any one else been told that at their interviews? If it's true I am definitely jealous of that.

I'm not sure about everyone but I like having two passes at each system. The curriculum does build on itself and so far in year 2 OPP and PCM have correlated nicely to the system we are talking about. Don't get me wrong the curriculum is extremely tough and time consuming...

Accepted here today! The admissions office called me around 3 PM. I interviewed on Sept. 12th, so it was a really FAST turn around! I was thoroughly impressed with this school, not only with the program but also with the friendliness/happiness of the students and faculty! So grateful for an early acceptance!

Interviewing here on Friday! Can anyone speak to the clinical rotations? The surrounding area seems quite small so I’m worried about getting good rotations.

Interviewing here next week...do you guys have any tips? Would you mind elaborating on your experience and some of the questions they asked?

Does anyone know if they accept any substitutions for the letters of recommendation? I only looked at AACOMAS for letter requirements so I didn't see that the science instructor letters had to be from people who taught you graded coursework. One of my science instructor letters is from a professor whose lab I volunteered and worked in, but he didn't teach me graded coursework. It's too late to get another letter from instructors I haven't spoken to in years. Is it worth it to email admissions about making an exception or should I just withdraw?

Anybody know if there's a limit on how many days after the invite to schedule an interview here? All the available dates right now don't work for me because of other interviews. Will more dates open?

Anybody know if there's a limit on how many days after the invite to schedule an interview here? All the available dates right now don't work for me because of other interviews. Will more dates open?

How far out do they have available dates? My guess is that they would open more up. But you might want to email them to make sure and to find out when new dates will be available so you can jump on them early

How far out do they have available dates? My guess is that they would open more up. But you might want to email them to make sure and to find out when new dates will be available so you can jump on them early

All dates are in the last week of October. I think I'll email them and see if I can find out when the next set of dates are.

Just withdrew my application & interview here. Hope one of you wonderful people get it :)

Well it’s either tomorrow or Friday for interview decisions...really hoping to get into this school.

Checked my portal. Placed on the alternate list. Anyone know how long it takes to maybe get off the waitlist??

Is attending RVU-Utah really the same as RVU-Colorado? Can anyone see any potential downsides to attending in Utah besides research opportunities? Also how important is research when applying to residencies?

Im incredibly excited to attend an interview for this school and I'm just trying to gather more information!

Is attending RVU-Utah really the same as RVU-Colorado? Can anyone see any potential downsides to attending in Utah besides research opportunities? Also how important is research when applying to residencies?

Im incredibly excited to attend an interview for this school and I'm just trying to gather more information!

It's not quite the same but you will be having a lot of classes with the students at RVU Colorado. They will be your "virtual classmates" as it was described during my interview. The Colorado campus classroom will be broadcasted during your lectures so you can actually 'see' the students there. They currently don't have many research opportunities but are currently trying to partner with Dixie State University (which is partnered with Stanford Cancer Research) to let students conduct some research.

The interview was extremely relaxed and the interviewers were conversational. We were talking about bicycling and favorite spots for recreational activities. I loved the school, students, and faculty....and the beautiful red mountains.

Just received an interview here. I'm from Missouri and have been accepted to A.T. Still University in Kirksville and ARCOM in Fort Smith, AR. Can anyone weigh in on if it is worth it for me to book a flight and interview at Rocky Vista even though I have other acceptances? What are the reasons students choose this school over others?