2022-2023 Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @FarmHand for sharing the secondary essay prompts!

You will set up a log-in to the A&M application portal. This year they sent applicants a link to create an account.

2022-2023 Texas A&M Secondary Essay Prompts: (3 required, 1 optional)

1. Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition. (3500 characters)

2. The Texas A&M College of Medicine embraces the Aggie Core Values of Respect, Excellence, Leadership, Loyalty, Integrity and Selfless Service. Briefly discuss what activities demonstrate best that you would be a good custodian of these core values. (3500 characters)

3. Describe any circumstances indicative of some hardship, such as, but not limited to, financial difficulties, personal or family illness, a medical condition, a death in the immediate family or educational disadvantage not mentioned in your primary application essays;
OR describe any key academic, personal, or financial barriers that COVID-19 may have posed on you or your immediate family. (3500 characters)

4. OPTIONAL QUESTION: List the area (or areas) of medicine that appeals to you and briefly explain. (Limit your explanation to 50 words or 250 characters for each area of interest you list.) Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate (250 characters)
(The optional question is related to a list of areas of medicine listed on the A&M Secondary Portal) correction: there's not a list. Say what interests you at this time.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

2022-2023 prompts for EnMed (A&M's engineering & medicine program) (notice essay length is listed in words, not characters like the regular MD prompts above).

1. How did you hear about the EnMed program? (100 words)

2. Explain your interest in the EnMed medical education program: (250 words)

3. How will the EnMed medical education meet your goals and interests in ways that a traditional MD-only program would not? (150 words)

4. What creative, engineering, innovation, or entrepreneurship related activities have you participated in outside the classroom? Describe how these have prepared you to create innovative medical technologies. (150 words)

5. What knowledge, skills, and experiences have you acquired inside the classroom during your education that are most relevant to EnMed? (150 words)

6. What role do you envision yourself taking in the process of creating and translating new medical technologies during your future medical career? (150 words)

7. Do you have an undergraduate or graduate degree in engineering or computer science? (Yes or No)

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Prompts for MD/PhD: see this post: #2
Also know that MD/PhD applications go on the AMCAS app, and are not decided upon in the TMDSAS Match)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
unlike the last cycle, I was sent an email to the secondary application portal to register instead of going to their webpage.

Below are the prompts.

Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition. (3500 characters)

The Texas A&M College of Medicine embraces the Aggie Core Values of Respect, Excellence, Leadership, Loyalty, Integrity and Selfless Service. Briefly discuss what activities demonstrate best that you would be a good custodian of these core values. (3500 characters)

Describe any circumstances indicative of some hardship, such as, but not limited to, financial difficulties, personal or family illness, a medical condition, a death in the immediate family or educational disadvantage not mentioned in your primary application essays; OR describe any key academic, personal, or financial barriers that COVID-19 may have posed on you or your immediate family. (3500 characters)

OPTIONAL QUESTION: List the area (or areas) of medicine that appeals to you and briefly explain. (Limit your explanation to 50 words or 250 characters for each area of interest you list.) Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate (250 characters)

Reactions: 1 user
I forgot to add the additional prompts for ENMED and MD/PHD

ENMED

1. How did you hear about the EnMed program? (100 words)

2. Explain your interest in the EnMed medical education program: (250 words)

3. How will the EnMed medical education meet your goals and interests in ways that a traditional MD-only program would not? (150 words)

4. What creative, engineering, innovation, or entrepreneurship related activities have you participated in outside the classroom? Describe how these have prepared you to create innovative medical technologies. (150 words)

5. What knowledge, skills, and experiences have you acquired inside the classroom during your education that are most relevant to EnMed? (150 words)

6. What role do you envision yourself taking in the process of creating and translating new medical technologies during your future medical career? (150 words)

Do you have an undergraduate or graduate degree in engineering or computer science? (Yes or No)

MD/PHD (there is no word limit for this section)

List all other MD/PHD programs you will apply to this year.

List area(s) of research you are interested in studying for your Ph.D. (for example: Biochemistry and Cancer Biology)

List all of your research mentors including their titles and institutional affiliations.

Briefly describe any new research accomplishments. (Do not leave blank. If none, please indicate.)

Briefly discuss any other new information or experiences that you would want the MD/PhD program committee to know. (Do not leave blank. If none, please indicate.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else get an email with a broken hyperlink for the secondary?
Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 12.09.57 PM.png

Reactions: 1 users
You'll have to contact A&M to let them know it doesn't work
Shouldnt the secondary link for A&M be same for everyone? Used to be people went directly to their website to start and not wait for an invite.

So for the last question, it states to limit the explanation for each area of interest to 250 characters, implying that the total essay would still be over 250 characters since there may be more than one area of interest. However, the character limit on the secondary portal is 250. So really all you can do is list your areas of interest and that's it. Wondering if this is an error on their part.

Last edited:
So for the last question, it states to limit each area of interest to 250 characters, implying that the total essay would still be over 250 characters since there may be more than one area of interest. However, the character limit on the secondary portal is 250. So really all you can do is list your areas of interest and that's it. Wondering if this is an error on their part.
Try writing one and entering it before moving on to the next. Do you really need 250 characters?

Try writing one and entering it before moving on to the next. Do you really need 250 characters?
The way it is worded, I interpreted it as each of your listed areas of interest should be limited to 250 characters of explanation, so if you have 3 areas of interest, you should keep it at or under 750 characters plus the characters to write out the areas of interest. However, the character limit for the entire essay is 250.

But now that I am re-reading it I suppose another way to interpret it would be that the explanation for all areas of interest should be 250 characters or under.

Glad I'm not the only one.... seems like others did receive the correct link. Were you able to get this resolved? I emailed admissions last week but have not heard back. Will call Tuesday if I still haven't heard back
Yes, I called and they resolved the issue within half an hour or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any current ENMED students here that I could possibly reach out to? Debating on applying via AMCAS and interested in learning more!

Last edited:
If I am a non-resident of Texas, do I have to apply to EnMed using AMCAS? Or can I still apply using TMDSAS? (I have applied before, and I used TMDSAS last time...I don't believe AMCAS was an option back then).

If I am a non-resident of Texas, do I have to apply to EnMed using AMCAS? Or can I still apply using TMDSAS? (I have applied before, and I used TMDSAS last time...I don't believe AMCAS was an option back then).
You can apply on TMDSAS if you prefer. Part of the secondary has extra questions for EnMed applicants so it will become clear that this is your intent.

I think the AMCAS option exists because many only want to apply to EnMed and dont want to have a total separate app in TMDSAS.

Hey guys,

For the "describe any circumstances of hardships" question, I already talked about a medical condition of mine in my primary application. I guess I have 3 options on how to approach the secondary question:

1) Quickly explain what is in my primary and very few words.

2) Just say it was already explained in my primary and move on

3) Talk about the same thing but in a different perspective (in my primary I focused more on how it affected grades, but I was thinking about talking about how it affected my mental status/emotional well being)

What do y'all think is the best way to approach this? FYI I don't really have any other hardships that would dignify writing about.

Hey guys,

For the "describe any circumstances of hardships" question, I already talked about a medical condition of mine in my primary application. I guess I have 3 options on how to approach the secondary question:

1) Quickly explain what is in my primary and very few words.

2) Just say it was already explained in my primary and move on

3) Talk about the same thing but in a different perspective (in my primary I focused more on how it affected grades, but I was thinking about talking about how it affected my mental status/emotional well being)

What do y'all think is the best way to approach this? FYI I don't really have any other hardships that would dignify writing about.
@hadv3r you could briefly address the medical condition from a different perspective if you want to,
but notice that the question also has a second choice after the "OR" in which you could talk about the pandemic's effect on your life.

Even though we're maybe tired of talking about COVID-19, in the Courage Session interview with A&M's admission director he was amazed that some people left this entire question blank. His opinion was that COVID-19 affected everyone in some way.

Also, 3500 characters is a lot, you don't need to use them all

For question 4, what are the areas of medicine listed in the application?

Do I need to report a speeding ticket on the secondary? TIL that a 10 MPH speeding ticket is a class C misdemeanor in TX -_-

Also, is legal residence your driver's license address or where you live currently. I have not lived at my parents home in 7 years and certainly don't consider that my home.
I'm not sure it is asked on the secondary BUT you should update your TMDSAS application with this misdemeanor information. This is one of the sections that can be added to/changed after submitting the TMDSAS primary. Better to tell it now than later, it's not a big deal as long as you weren't driving under the influence. Also if it is dropped later you can update again.

Your legal residence is where you live & get your bills, etc. If you have lived at another stable address for many years, that's your address. It's easy to change your DL address.

Do I need to report a speeding ticket on the secondary? TIL that a 10 MPH speeding ticket is a class C misdemeanor in TX -_-

Also, is legal residence your driver's license address or where you live currently. I have not lived at my parents home in 7 years and certainly don't consider that my home.

From the TMDSAS "Felonies and Misdemeanors" section of the application:

"Unless the offense involved alcohol or drugs, you may exclude: 1) traffic tickets; and, 2) violations with fines of $250 or less."

From the TMDSAS "Felonies and Misdemeanors" section of the application:

"Unless the offense involved alcohol or drugs, you may exclude: 1) traffic tickets; and, 2) violations with fines of $250 or less."
ok, so @imnotsurewhoareyou what was your fine?

Like 3 years ago I got two speeding tickets in 10 months. The first one I did defensive driving and it was dropped the second ticket was dismissed. I didn't report these on TMDSAS. TAMU's statement seems to be more strict than TMDSAS.
It’s their Aggie code I guess

• Haha
For the COVID-19 question, I know everyone says quality over quantity, but I have written only about 1900 characters. Is this too little? I just copied what ive wrote from other schools that have the same prompt but different character count

For the COVID-19 question, I know everyone says quality over quantity, but I have written only about 1900 characters. Is this too little? I just copied what ive wrote from other schools that have the same prompt but different character count
That's about what I did. I don't think you have to hit the 3500 character count and I imagine most people rarely do. That is a very high count

It's only asking how COVID affected you so I just talked about the different ways it did and left it at that.

Btw, also a United fan (sad) and live in Houston, there are dozens of us!

2. The Texas A&M College of Medicine embraces the Aggie Core Values of Respect, Excellence, Leadership, Loyalty, Integrity and Selfless Service. Briefly discuss what activities demonstrate best that you would be a good custodian of these core values. (3500 characters)

The core values essay keeps tripping me up. Can someone help me figure out if:
1. I should address each core value with a specific anecdote or
2. Only talk about one anecdote that highlights one or two of the core values.

The core values essay keeps tripping me up. Can someone help me figure out if:
1. I should address each core value with a specific anecdote or
2. Only talk about one anecdote that highlights one or two of the core values.
Last year I went with number 1 and it felt a little forced. This year I went with number 2.

Any current students get in with a 1st quartile casper score? I'm already a low-stat traditional ORM so idek if it's worth applying with a 1st quartile score.... I'm not crazy I promise...This is also my alma mater so it's my 1st choice

Does anyone know if EnMed has been around long enough for their first class to start residency? Just wondering if there's a match list anywhere.

@hadv3r you could briefly address the medical condition from a different perspective if you want to,
but notice that the question also has a second choice after the "OR" in which you could talk about the pandemic's effect on your life.

Even though we're maybe tired of talking about COVID-19, in the Courage Session interview with A&M's admission director he was amazed that some people left this entire question blank. His opinion was that COVID-19 affected everyone in some way.

Also, 3500 characters is a lot, you don't need to use them all
In the optional primary app essay I already talked about how COVID affected me. So I can just take a different spin on something I already talked about in my primary essays?

If I have applied to A&M before, how bad is it to submit the same response that I submitted last time for one of the secondary questions? Honestly, I thought it was a very solid answer, and everything I said then is still true today.

If I have applied to A&M before, how bad is it to submit the same response that I submitted last time for one of the secondary questions? Honestly, I thought it was a very solid answer, and everything I said then is still true today.
I was a reapplicant, reused the same answers and am now attending the school

Reactions: 2 users
what made your second application better?
I added more clinical hours (worked as an MA during my gap), asked people I personally knew for strong LORs instead of anyone that agreed to write one, and submitted my apps earlier this time round (submitted secondaries late june/early july rather than late august).

I believe these changes made me a stronger applicant.

Reactions: 2 users
I added more clinical hours (worked as an MA during my gap), asked people I personally knew for strong LORs instead of anyone that agreed to write one, and submitted my apps earlier this time round (submitted secondaries late june/early july rather than late august).

I believe these changes made me a stronger applicant.
nice! your stats didn't change? what were they?

Howdy! I am a current TAMU medical student and would be happy to answer any questions y'all may have! Feel free to PM me or mention me in a post and I'll respond as soon as I'm able.

This is a great place to be and I hope to see some of y'all at the interview socials! Although the application cycle is a stressful time, try to remember to have fun and enjoy the process as much as you're able to. Everyone here at TAMU is rooting for you!

I ask because it specifies "(The optional question is related to a list of areas of medicine listed on the A&M Secondary Portal)". Can you or anyone who has received the secondary just report what the list says?

There actually isn't a list of such areas in the portal. I approached this prompt as allowing me to freely express my interest in medicine. I chose to discuss specialties I'm interested in. You might also speak about your interest in academic medicine, working with underserved populations, research, etc. The character limit is quite low, so there really isn't much room to go into great detail. Whatever you choose to discuss, it'll be over before it starts lol.

There actually isn't a list of such areas in the portal. I approached this prompt as allowing me to freely express my interest in medicine. I chose to discuss specialties I'm interested in. You might also speak about your interest in academic medicine, working with underserved populations, research, etc. The character limit is quite low, so there really isn't much room to go into great detail. Whatever you choose to discuss, it'll be over before it starts lol.
Thanks @skeptastic I probably confused this with the Lubbock secondary, which did have a list. I agree you can go specific and say pediatrics or more general & say hospital based practice, working in an urban area, etc.

I ask because it specifies "(The optional question is related to a list of areas of medicine listed on the A&M Secondary Portal)". Can you or anyone who has received the secondary just report what the list says?
Sorry, my error, there isn't a list. If you are not sure what kind of medicine you're interested in, it's OK because most people don't know yet. You can mention an area like surgery or internal medicine, or a setting like outpatient, critical care, rural. I think everyone should say something for this question though, it might seem odd if you say there are no areas of medicine that currently interest you.;)

Thanks @skeptastic I probably confused this with the Lubbock secondary, which did have a list. I agree you can go specific and say pediatrics or more general & say hospital based practice, working in an urban area, etc.

No problem at all! I mixed them up myself and only just now realized that you'd written that segment about the areas being listed for this secondary haha. We appreciate all that you do to help us!

Howdy! I am a current TAMU medical student and would be happy to answer any questions y'all may have! Feel free to PM me or mention me in a post and I'll respond as soon as I'm able.

This is a great place to be and I hope to see some of y'all at the interview socials! Although the application cycle is a stressful time, try to remember to have fun and enjoy the process as much as you're able to. Everyone here at TAMU is rooting for you!
Thanks for popping by to offer some advice and feedback!

Probably the biggest question I have about this school is its culture. Many students from my high school who attended TAMU undergrad sort of orbit around the university and its culture. Does this extend to its medical students?

Thanks for popping by to offer some advice and feedback!

Probably the biggest question I have about this school is its culture. Many students from my high school who attended TAMU undergrad sort of orbit around the university and its culture. Does this extend to its medical students?
From my experience as a current Undergrad, the culture is not as much pushed onto grad students as much as the undergrads, nor do the grad students rly care about the "Aggie" culture. Not sure if thats the answer you're looking for.

Reactions: 3 users
Many students from my high school who attended TAMU undergrad sort of orbit around the university and its culture. Does this extend to its medical students?
That's a great question! Overall, my experience is definitely no. We are well removed from the main campus and exist in our own little bubble down in the Health Science Center campus (home to medical and nursing students). Of course, there will be students in every class who attend a few football games and sometimes even faculty will take some students to a game. However, the proximity to those events and the main campus is just a bonus and our class definitely does not feel like a cult, like A&M undergrad is commonly described as. The experience is there to seek out if that's something that interests you but it's not a big factor in the day-to-day life as a medical student.

Reactions: 1 users