***2018-2019 URM Medical School Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard about the "Students for Fair Admissions" winning justice department support? Am I correct in thinking this won't be an issue for the current application cycle?
I'm not sure but in terms of medical school applications I think the importance of diversity here is that creating minority doctors is for the mission of improving the health disparities of their respective communities.

Members don't see this ad.

Any rising GPA trends?

send apps to ALL OH schools, the HBCs and DO schools. Think about an SMP if you get no love by January

I finished with a cGPA of 3.73 and sGPA of 3.71.

My MCAT is a 510. My overall cGPA, including the post bacc, is a 3.17
Since we're approaching midway in, should I bother applying this cycle? I had some financial issues, which resulted in my app not being verified until late August.

If I should go ahead and apply, should I go with the usual list (i.e., Temple, Drexel, GWU, Georgetown, Rosalind, Jefferson, etc.)? Do I have a realistic chance at any reach schools like Duke, Northwestern and the like?

Last edited:
Sorry to necro a post but I've searched a lot of SDN and haven't found anyone in a similar position.

Black male from Delaware. My undergraduate GPA is around 3.0 but I graduated in 2010 with a major in theatre. Barely took any science classes but put very little effort into the ones I did take.

I finished a 44-credit DIY post bacc in 2017 with a cGPA of 3.73 and sGPA of 3.71.

My MCAT is a 510 (129, 125, 126, 130). I'm a little bummed about my score because I was practicing at around 513, but messed up on the biology section (126 actual exam vs. 129 practice).

My overall cGPA, including the post bacc, is a 3.17 and BCPM is 3.4

Since we're approaching midway in, should I bother applying this cycle? I had some financial issues, which resulted in my app not being verified until late August.

If I should go ahead and apply, should I go with the usual list (i.e., Temple, Drexel, GWU, Georgetown, Rosalind, Jefferson, etc.)? Do I have a realistic chance at any reach schools like Duke, Northwestern and the like?

Also, if I don't apply this cycle, should I even bother retaking the MCAT? Not sure how helpful 3 points will be.

If it helps, here are some highlights from my background:

J.D. with a concentration in health law. Legal research on the nature of head trauma and sports. Received high honors for related presentations.
1000+ hours working at a primary care clinic.
Over 200 hours shadowing primary care doctor, psychiatrist, and OB/GYN.
Volunteered in Flint for the water crisis.
300+ hours volunteering for my church. Created youth program and started community outreach program that teaches youth about the science related to hobbies like music and sports.
Helped rebuild houses after hurricane Katrina.

Do NOT retake the MCAT! If finances are not an issue, then definitely apply.
Go with my list of reinventing rewarding schools. Make sure you have some DO schools and the HBCs, plus Jefferson

Members don't see this ad :)
Do NOT retake the MCAT! If finances are not an issue, then definitely apply.
Go with my list of reinventing rewarding schools. Make sure you have some DO schools and the HBCs, plus Jefferson

Ok. Thanks for your help.

Sorry to necro a post but I've searched a lot of SDN and haven't found anyone in a similar position.

Black male from Delaware. My undergraduate GPA is around 3.0 but I graduated in 2010 with a major in theatre. Barely took any science classes but put very little effort into the ones I did take.

I finished a 44-credit DIY post bacc in 2017 with a cGPA of 3.73 and sGPA of 3.71.

My MCAT is a 510 (129, 125, 126, 130). I'm a little bummed about my score because I was practicing at around 513, but messed up on the biology section (126 actual exam vs. 129 practice).

My overall cGPA, including the post bacc, is a 3.17 and BCPM is 3.4

Also, if I don't apply this cycle, should I even bother retaking the MCAT? Not sure how helpful 3 points will be.

If it helps, here are some highlights from my background:

J.D. with a concentration in health law. Legal research on the nature of head trauma and sports. Received high honors for related presentations.
1000+ hours working at a primary care clinic.
Over 200 hours shadowing primary care doctor, psychiatrist, and OB/GYN.
Volunteered in Flint for the water crisis.
300+ hours volunteering for my church. Created youth program and started community outreach program that teaches youth about the science related to hobbies like music and sports.
Helped rebuild houses after hurricane Katrina.

My non-professional opinion: If you're ready to start school next and don't want to wait, go ahead and apply broadly (for MD; DO cycle is longer so you should be fine). I think you have a solid app to get some II. However it is already September so I would recommend pre-writing those secondaries now and getting them in ASAP. If you don't mind another gap year, you can use that time to save up money for secondaries/interviews and continue any other ECs. Also agree you should not retake a 510.

My non-professional opinion: If you're ready to start school next and don't want to wait, go ahead and apply broadly (for MD; DO cycle is longer so you should be fine). I think you have a solid app to get some II. However it is already September so I would recommend pre-writing those secondaries now and getting them in ASAP. If you don't mind another gap year, you can use that time to save up money for secondaries/interviews and continue any other ECs. Also agree you should not retake a 510.

Ok. Thank you so much. And congrats on all your interviews!!!

Reactions: 1 user
So I sat on a couple reach schools (Cornell, Yale) because I was getting swamped in secondaries. But now that IIs are coming in, I'm considering sending them in. What do you all think about submitting secondaries >1 month? The official deadlines aren't until October/December.
Update: I submitted my Yale app and got an II in 2 days. To anyone applying in the future, don’t underestimate yourselves...

Reactions: 16 users
Yeah, my risk averse nature agrees with this. Unfortunately, I will likely look like a neonate, fresh out the womb. Hopefully they don't think I'm catfishing because of my bearded headshot, lol.

My beard was around this length for my interviews. Obviously cleaner and shaped up. I got accepted last cycle.

stubble-with-short-hair-beard-styles-for-black-men.png

Reactions: 1 users
I could use some advice.
I'm suffering from serious imposter syndrome going into my interviews.
I have bad stats and didn't do an SMP or post bacc (3.2 C, 2.96 S, 509) and while I'm OVER THE MOON to have any interviews at all, I'm having the hardest time getting out of my head over it. It feels like I don't deserve it/ only even got a look because I'm black cause if I had been ORM I doubt I would have gotten any love this cycle without post bacc work/ an SMP.
Any suggestions for how I can get over myself/ psych myself up to present my best self for these interviews? Also, any advice on explaining poor grades?

Reactions: 2 users
I could use some advice.
I have bad stats and didn't do an SMP or post bacc (3.2 C, 2.96 S, 509) and while I'm OVER THE MOON to have any interviews at all, I'm having the hardest time getting out of my head over it. It feels like I don't deserve it/ only even got a look because I'm black cause if I had been ORM I doubt I would have gotten any love this cycle without post bacc work/ an SMP.
Any suggestions for how I can get over myself/ psych myself up to present my best self for these interviews? Also, any advice on explaining poor grades?
At an interview I recently had, my interview asked me what one of my fears was in my pursuit of medicine. I told her, "the feeling of not being good enough." I elaborated some more on what I meant. Our discussion afterward, has stuck with me the last few days. She put into perspective a bit and I'll try to paraphrase. Schools get hundreds if not thousands of interviews each cycle only for them to interview what like 1/5th of those applicants. Even if you may not have stellar grades, something about you and who you've shown to the admissions committee stands out and makes them feel that you would be a good fit for their school. It might be your extracurriculars? It might be your PS or secondary responses. It might be something intriguing your letter writers wrote about you. It might be a mix of things. Whatever the case is, they feel you ARE DESERVING of this shot. Yes, at the end of the day academics are important for medicine but there's more too it. Who you are as a person, those traits and skills that aren't necessarily part of academics (empathy, dedication, altruism, conscientiousness, etc.) are just as important imo. Think about those non-academic traits that the school you interview at might find important.

In regards to your bad grades, Ive read the best thing to do is own up to it. No excuses. Look back to what were you like during those classes that made you not do so well. Have you changed since then? If so, focus on the that. Show them that you are capable of overcoming those struggles and would thrive still in medical school because you've changed.

Good luck, fam! *In my best DJ Khaled Voice* You're the best, you're a real one. You're smart! You're kind!

Don't know if this'll help you at all but still.

Reactions: 12 users
I could use some advice.

Dude you are more than numbers my friend! It takes a crap load of grit to even go through premed and even more so going through the process of applying to med school! Know that ADCOMS saw something interesting in you and want to invest in you to represent their brand and serve our community. You will do great stuff man/lady! We need more minority physicians, so let’s represent and fill that gap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks friends! That does make me feel better :)

So when is a reasonable time to start declining IIs? I have 12 at this point, and the thought of spending more money on flights and time away from work is nauseating. I was thinking of attending 9, but still declining an II feels wrong...

Members don't see this ad :)
So when is a reasonable time to start declining IIs? I have 12 at this point, and the thought of spending more money on flights and time away from work is nauseating. I was thinking of attending 9, but still declining an II feels wrong...

I would say with that many IIs, the odds of you not getting into at least one of those schools is extremely low. I know most people say to wait until your first acceptance to start rejecting interviews, but the odds are really in your favor now.

I haven’t declined any yet, but the ones that are lower on my list, I’ve tried scheduling later on (if they give me the option to) so hopefully I’ll an acceptance before I have to plan flights. But definitely don’t decline until you get an acceptance because you never know!

I haven’t declined any yet, but the ones that are lower on my list, I’ve tried scheduling later on (if they give me the option to) so hopefully I’ll an acceptance before I have to plan flights. But definitely don’t decline until you get an acceptance because you never know!
I second this @Beshwaji

I did the same things with some of mine but still haven’t declined one yet!

Hey everyone!! Stumbled upon this late but it’s great to see all the success being displayed here. Although I am not applying this cycle, I am currently a premed with a dilemma. I am currently in my 4th year (taking an extra year afterwards) and I project my gpa to be a bit over 3.5 (sgpa-3.2). I have an excellent and diverse set of extracurriculars and will be taking the MCAT in a few months. I also attend a highly ranked (top 25 globally) school in Quebec (i’m also Haitian American). Am I still in the running for med school? What school list can I start out with?

Yikes, I'm late to this thread as well. My post-bac institution just sent out my committee letter a few days ago, so my app will be reviewed later than I had wished.

1st generation Ghanaian-American 26 y.o. female
CA resident
cGPA: 3.2, sGPA: 3.3 (with a pbGPA: 4.0), Overall strong upward trend
510 MCAT (128, 124, 128,130)
Clinical volunteering abroad in Ghana, ~180 clinical volunteering hrs in the US, ~90 Volunteer mentoring hours
~20 hours shadowing
Research with poster presentation
~1800 Teaching hours
~2700 Medical assisting hours
Good LORs but I think the MD LOR from the doctor I currently work with will put me over the edge
And not to toot my own horn, but I think my essays have been pretty compelling, with an emphasis on serving underserved communities and the importance of cultural competence​

Applied to 16 MD, Received and sent 14 secondaries. Hope that I can return to this thread with news of an II soon.

Reactions: 4 users

I totally get the whole missing work part. My job has let me know that I might be put part-time for missing so much. Not in a bad way, more like a hey heads up way.

I've only declined one so far. TTU El Paso. The school thread was a little offputting for me and if I'm going to fly out west, then I'd rather it be for a more highly ranked school (like Stanford or a UC). Personally don't think I will regret it but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
I knew I was forgetting to do something lol hello friends! I'm applying this cycle and this is almost as stressful as MCAT studying.

AA lesbian
cGPA: 3.04, sGPA: 2.98 (up to 3.06/3.03 after finishing a summer class but those are the stats on my AMCAS)
MCAT: 516 (127/130/127/132)
75 shadowing hours (primary care and a surgical subspecialty)
1500 hours paid clinical employment
400 hours clinical volunteering
250 hours non-clinical volunteering
SMDEP/SHPEP alum
10000+ hours playing an instrument
Leadership position in LGBTQ affinity group that I co-founded

I put in 25 primaries and then added 3 schools that I figured were out of my league but they contacted me and waived my app fee. So far I've completed 23 secondaries, received 3 pre-secondary rejections from OOS state schools, a hold from GW, and one II to my state school. I didn't get my committee letter until 8/20ish so I think I'm just now starting to hear back from schools. However, it is kind of disheartening to see people with like 11 IIs already. I know my app isn't that strong but I was hoping my MCAT and story would open some doors :( this whole process is so draining. People always said the cycle would be long but I had no idea how bad it would really be.

Congrats to everyone in the thread on the success so far! I hope I'll be able to contribute to it soon.

I knew I was forgetting to do something lol hello friends! I'm applying this cycle and this is almost as stressful as MCAT studying.

AA lesbian
cGPA: 3.04, sGPA: 2.98 (up to 3.06/3.03 after finishing a summer class but those are the stats on my AMCAS)
SMDEP/SHPEP alum

I put in 25 primaries and then added 3 schools that I figured were out of my league but they contacted me and waived my app fee. So far I've completed 23 secondaries, received 3 pre-secondary rejections from OOS state schools, a hold from GW, and one II to my state school. I didn't get my committee letter until 8/20ish so I think I'm just now starting to hear back from schools. However, it is kind of disheartening to see people with like 11 IIs already. I know my app isn't that strong but I was hoping my MCAT and story would open some doors :( this whole process is so draining. People always said the cycle would be long but I had no idea how bad it would really be.

Congrats to everyone in the thread on the success so far! I hope I'll be able to contribute to it soon.
Your app is pretty great apart from the GPA. Do you have an upward trend/ redemption arc in your story?
I totally understand where you're coming from though. On one hand, any II is an open door. But of course, when you work so hard to accommodate for the GPA, you hope more schools will recognize it. I would bet on you get at least a few more IIs in the near future (lol but what do I know, I'm just another applicant)

That's exactly where I would like to keep it, but I'm too risk averse, lol. I can't leave anything to chance at this point. If I was a stronger candidate, I'd probably be willing to take the risk, especially because I look and feel better with it. *shrugs* It is what it is.

If you look and feel better that way, I say go for it. I don't think clean and well maintained facial hair is considered unprofessional at all.

Your app is pretty great apart from the GPA. Do you have an upward trend/ redemption arc in your story?
I totally understand where you're coming from though. On one hand, any II is an open door. But of course, when you work so hard to accommodate for the GPA, you hope more schools will recognize it. I would bet on you get at least a few more IIs in the near future (lol but what do I know, I'm just another applicant)

Don't really have an upward trend, just a lot of Bs. I had some difficulty adjusting to college and then had mental health issues. In my app I just say I dealt with a serious illness which is now resolved because that stigma is too real. Thanks for replying and thinking I have some good news in my future :)

Don't really have an upward trend, just a lot of Bs. I had some difficulty adjusting to college and then had mental health issues. In my app I just say I dealt with a serious illness which is now resolved because that stigma is too real. Thanks for replying and thinking I have some good news in my future :)
Did you apply only MD? WIth 28 schools I'm assuming you applied broadly. Personally, I think your ECs are pretty awesome, especially the LGBTQ+ involvement. Obviously only an applicant as well, but I think your GPA might be what's keeping you back so far but since they'll be receiving your committee letter soon maybe your professors/committee can vouch for your dedication and work ethic. It's still fairly early so I would say just wait it out. Keep doing what you're doing that you enjoy.

Me neither, but from what I've seen, in residency interviews (at least surgery), a clean shaven face is expected unless the beard is for religious/cultural reasons. I've basically extrapolated it to med school interviews, where there's even less room for error, so to speak. Idk. I hate the way my face looks now (just cut the beard off several days ago), but I don't want to go through this cycle with one iota of doubt as to what I could have done to improve my chances.

I haven't heard that before but I also haven't looked into it like you have! Totally get where you're coming from. Just wanted to encourage you to do what feels best to you - I think it would boost your mood and attitude. How long do you have before the interview? Hopefully it's long enough for you to feel more comfortable with being clean shaven and/or long enough to grow to the length that you like if you change your mind.

Did you apply only MD? WIth 28 schools I'm assuming you applied broadly. Personally, I think your ECs are pretty awesome, especially the LGBTQ+ involvement. Obviously only an applicant as well, but I think your GPA might be what's keeping you back so far but since they'll be receiving your committee letter soon maybe your professors/committee can vouch for your dedication and work ethic. It's still fairly early so I would say just wait it out. Keep doing what you're doing that you enjoy.

Yeah, broadly and only MD. Just didn't want to deal with the DO stigma (even though I think it shouldn't exist) and also didn't want to redo my personal statement lol. If this cycle doesn't work out I'll definitely include DO next time. I think my letters are probably pretty good, I made sure to only get them from professors I bonded with and my mentor. The committee letter at my school is mostly excerpts from the letters and a little bit from an interview that I think went well for me.

From what I can tell on the school specific threads, the vast majority of schools just haven't gotten to me yet if they're going chronologically. Patience is hard though.

Has anyone who interviewed at Case and also gone to the dinner the night before tell me about it?

Anyone know what the word is on haircuts for black men? Do I need to shave off my flat top? I love my flat top

Jeez, you guys have me second guessing my application photo. I'm dressed professionally with natural makeup, but my hair is a tapered TWA with 4c coils.
eb1d3d035ae18334a9b801443689d40a.jpg

(Not me in the pic. Example in case you don't know what I mean)
I don't personally feel like it's a particularly edgy style, but the adcoms in the fly-over state PWIs might.

Anyone know what the word is on haircuts for black men? Do I need to shave off my flat top? I love my flat top

Not really an expert, but I plan to fade out my temples, and curl out the top for texture.

I've been rocking the taper fade but I've seen some low curly fros.

I'm an AA female
c3.61
s3.56
511 MCAT (129/127/127/128)
100+ hours of shadowing
And I'll be scribing soon
What are my chances and what schools?

Hit up WAMC for more expert advice

Hi all. I’ve been following this site for a year now and kinda just been lurking but finally just decided to make an account. I’m a 23 year old AA male. I applied last cycle and did poorly on my MCAT (497) but relied on my extracurriculars and early applications to get into at least one school. After applying to about 15 schools, I received 1 DO interview late in the cycle, was waitlisted, and ultimately rejected.

I retook the MCAT again for this cycle, however because of work I had to take it late (July 24th) to get adequate study time and submitted most of my applications late (late August- late September) so I’m really worried about getting rejected a second cycle. Anyways, here are my important stats
cGPA 3.55, sGPA 3.3. MCAT: 507
~700 volunteer hours, about half healthcare related
~120 shadowing hours, various MDs and DOs
International medical mission trip
2017-18 president of student service organization

I’m a Texas resident so I applied to all Texas medical schools except Southwestern and Baylor. And- UIC, FSU, Miami, Howard, Morehouse, Univ of Georgia, NYMC, Rutgers
Also northwestern and Missouri- Columbia because their diversity office sent me a letter in the mail so why not
And as for DO schools, UNTHSC, UIWSOM, PCOM, Oklahoma state college of osteopathic medicine, Alabama college of osteopathic medicine, and CCOM- midwestern

I’m actually still waiting for secondaries for Alabama, ccom, Miami, and nymc only because I just recently decided to add those to my list. I already pretyped the secondaries.
I know it’s early but I’m just worried because of how late I applied to most of these schools. I applied to morehouse weeks ago and haven’t received a secondary so I’m certain that’s no longer an option. Any advice?

Last edited:

I've started cutting down. I think if you have a way to narrow your list down now, then it's reasonable to start doing so. I'd still attend >6.

8 II so far. My stats are good so this is expected, but is there any advice to cut costs (at least until I can get the first official acceptance)?
I've been staying with student hosts for all my interviews that are more than a two-hour drive away. Saves a ton on housing costs that way, i think. If you have friends family members in the area hit them up and ask if you can crash for the time that you're interviewing. Also if you can, stack your interviews that are going to be in similar areas (doesn't necessarily need to be back to back though).

I've started cutting down. I think if you have a way to narrow your list down now, then it's reasonable to start doing so. I'd still attend >6.
Yeah, I have 10 at the moment that I’m definitely going to. I’ve started scheduling others further out so I can hold off on buying tickets/lodging. Thanks!

Hi all. I’ve been following this site for a year now and kinda just been lurking but finally just decided to make an account. I’m a 23 year old AA male. I applied last cycle and did poorly on my MCAT (497) but relied on my extracurriculars and early applications to get into at least one school. After applying to about 15 schools, I received 1 DO interview late in the cycle, was waitlisted, and ultimately rejected.

I retook the MCAT again for this cycle, however because of work I had to take it late (July 24th) to get adequate study time and submitted most of my applications late (late August- late September) so I’m really worried about getting rejected a second cycle. Anyways, here are my important stats
cGPA 3.55, sGPA 3.3. MCAT: 507
~700 volunteer hours, about half healthcare related
~120 shadowing hours, various MDs and DOs
International medical mission trip
2017-18 president of student service organization

I’m a Texas resident so I applied to all Texas medical schools except Southwestern and Baylor. And- UIC, FSU, Miami, Howard, Morehouse, Univ of Georgia, NYMC, Rutgers
Also northwestern and Missouri- Columbia because their diversity office sent me a letter in the mail so why not
And as for DO schools, UNTHSC, UIWSOM, PCOM, Oklahoma state college of osteopathic medicine, Alabama college of osteopathic medicine, and CCOM- midwestern

I’m actually still waiting for secondaries for Alabama, ccom, Miami, and nymc only because I just recently decided to add those to my list. I already pretyped the secondaries.
I know it’s early but I’m just worried because of how late I applied to most of these schools. I applied to morehouse weeks ago and haven’t received a secondary so I’m certain that’s no longer an option. Any advice?

You could add some more private MD schools that aren't too competitive. It is later in the cycle, but you will get in MD somewhere barring any red flags, so you might as well shoot your shots. That new MCAT score is gonna change the game brotha. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users

AA lesbian
SMDEP/SHPEP alum

You spend too much time on SDN lol. Don't worry about how other ppl are doing. Of course there are some ppl out there with crazy high stats. Your app is strong. Being black with a 516 is a game changer. Your ECs look good as well. I'd bet you are gonna get 5+ IIs easy (assuming you didn't just apply to top 10 schools lol). Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
You could add some more private MD schools that aren't too competitive. It is later in the cycle, but you will get in MD somewhere barring any red flags, so you might as well shoot your shots. That new MCAT score is gonna change the game brotha. Good luck.
Could you name some schools?

Has anyone interviewed at SUNY Downstate and would like to share some suggestions? I'll take general interview tips as well!

Has anyone interviewed at SUNY Downstate and would like to share some suggestions? I'll take general interview tips as well!
They really do their best to make you feel welcome so don't stress too much but definitely review your primary and secondary application. Be ready to elaborate on your experiences.

I didn't feel welcomed at all lmao. They sat us in a room and had us sit there for like 45 minutes. There was no welcome talk or anything. Two of the upperclassman gave us a quick tour and they were cool I guess. They took us back to the room and had us sit for another 30 minutes while we waited on our interviewer. My interviewer straight grilled me. It was so bad that I stopped talking mid-sentence cus I realized I started rambling. I would try to elaborate on a point and my interviewer would put their head down and start rubbing their eyes like I was annoying them. It was an experience like no other lmao. After I finished my interview, I bounced feeling very defeated. I ended up getting in off the waitlist but it didn't seem like they cared about selling the school. This was a couple years ago though so maybe they've changed.

Remember that I'm an n=1 hahaha

I didn't feel welcomed at all lmao. They sat us in a room and had us sit there for like 45 minutes. There was no welcome talk or anything. Two of the upperclassman gave us a quick tour and they were cool I guess. They took us back to the room and had us sit for another 30 minutes while we waited on our interviewer. My interviewer straight grilled me. It was so bad that I stopped talking mid-sentence cus I realized I started rambling. I would try to elaborate on a point and my interviewer would put their head down and start rubbing their eyes like I was annoying them. It was an experience like no other lmao. After I finished my interview, I bounced feeling very defeated. I ended up getting in off the waitlist but it didn't seem like they cared about selling the school. This was a couple years ago though so maybe they've changed.

That sounds terrible lol hopefully they’ve made it better since then

Hey, does Downstate do multiple interviews? Are they open file or blind interviews? Thanks!

Hey, does Downstate do multiple interviews? Are they open file or blind interviews? Thanks!

When I interviewed, it was one interview and it was open af haha. My interviewer combed my whole app asking all types of questions.

You spend too much time on SDN lol. Don't worry about how other ppl are doing. Of course there are some ppl out there with crazy high stats. Your app is strong. Being black with a 516 is a game changer. Your ECs look good as well. I'd bet you are gonna get 5+ IIs easy (assuming you didn't just apply to top 10 schools lol). Good luck!

Thank you! My list is a little top heavy with those fee waiver schools in there but I think I had a solid mix otherwise. This was really nice to hear though, thanks again :)