1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

***2018-2019 URM Medical School Application Thread***

Discussion in 'Underrepresented in Healthcare' started by teeayejay, Apr 4, 2018.

1. thefleetfooted

thefleetfooted holding a barbell.
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, my risk averse nature agrees with this. Unfortunately, I will likely look like a neonate, fresh out the womb. Hopefully they don't think I'm catfishing because of my bearded headshot, lol.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tanbrucewayne

Pre-Medical
    Same lol I should’ve took a new one after shaving

thefleetfooted likes this.
  4. CUatthefinishline

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I moved 2-3 interview dates and it was fine overall. However, I would only do this if you have to and/or if it is early in the interview season (which it is currently) as they will have more ability to work with you. Each time, I explained my financial situation briefly but clearly in an email and before the interview date. You will have to move around work to interview so schools expect some conflicts of time, but they also expect you to make the time when at all possible. Be as respectful and professional as possible, and do not use up your "favors" with the admissions committee and make them do significantly more work to meet you.

All that being said, I think that the earlier you interview, the better (assuming your ready of course). I feel it gets your name in the proverbial hat sooner, your presented to the Adcom quicker, and you get a decision more quickly so you can figure out stuff. You are also not "fighting" for the last few spots in the class. I think interviewing sooner also gives you more time in the Spring to figure things out (more time to schedule more interviews in case you get more interested schools, more time to figure out if your headed towards reapplying, more time to catch up on work, etc.).

That's just my take. Best of luck and feel free to ask me to clarify anything.

soccerkid96 likes this.
  5. CUatthefinishline

2+ Year Member

Just off the top of my head:
    • all of the HBCUs (3)
    • Charles Drew
    • the Philly triplets
    • 3+ in Illinois/Chicago
    • SLU
    • MCW
    • Boonshoft
    • Any reaches Top 20/50 where you fall in at least the 10th percentile MCAT-wise (don't sell yourself short)
    You are also a CA resident so competition is stiff for in-state. I am not entirely sure which school in CA would be best to apply to as I have very little experience living/working/applying on the West coast (someone else chime in please). But due to that I would also consider applying DO if you really want to stay in CA because your MCAT might hinder you (thought I think you would be okay without that if you apply OOS). Overall I would say apply very broadly around the nation and to about 30 schools to give yourself the best chances. I like your stats and experiences (I have never been published sooooooo I love that :)), I just think you come from a more competitive place.

Edit: & I used the MSAR, Wedgedawg's Applicant System, and LizzyM to build my school list. I think these three things will help you a lot.

californiadreaming93 likes this.
  6. CUatthefinishline

2+ Year Member

With your stats & experiences, I would add every school in Chicago/Illinois that you haven't applied to already (e.g. Northwestern, Rush, U of Chicago, etc.). Maybe UCLA & Charles Drew (if you are feeling the West coast/CA); UCLA game me some love and I was well below you stat-wise. You have great stats and I think you could shoot for a few top schools if you are at least within the 10th percentile range for MCAT.

EDIT: Oh, and any other Midwest schools like MCW would be great additions too.

7. soccerkid96

Thank you so much!! Any input and advice is appreciated. I agree, it is best to get in there as soon as possible so I am going to try my best to make everything work out. Thanks again

8. californiadreaming93

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Thank you so much! This is very helpful!

9. JA9084782

Thank you very much for your advice, I’ll definitely add those schools to my list!

10. Boola Boy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Depends on how far back. And your application. October date to January date? Undoubtedly hurts -- fewer spots available. Early September to Early October? Probably not so much.

soccerkid96 likes this.
  11. Funions2345

Pre-Medical
    African American Male-28
    Disadvantaged
    NY State resident
    USAF Veteran (Military Police/K9)
    Major: Biology

GPA: cGPA-3.71, sGPA 3.61
    Undergrad: CUNY School
    MCAT: 500 (Received score earlier this week. 1st attempt)
    **Submitted primary end of June. So I am verified.

Research: ~80 hours. Poster presentation @ international conference. 1 Paper published (3rd author)
    Volunteering: Various throughout military career, although they were sporadic and I didn't intend to pursue medicine at the time... but main source is 200 hrs in Emergency Department of local hospital
    Awards: 2 medals from in service accomplishments
    Leadership: Was an E5 (SSGT). Served as supervisor and was in charge of various programs throughout my enlistment, so lots to talk about here. In addition to unique experiences like security for the POTUS and higher level resources. Spent time living out in the midwest and Japan (awesome experience).

Have an excellent personal statement and currently working hard to submit quality secondaries. I've prewritten a few, but was hesitant to do more because of the poor MCAT score.

I've applied to all NY/NJ Schools, Philly triplets, Howard, Meharry, and DC schools. I excluded Morehouse because it appeared that they tend to prefer people from the south..correct me if I'm wrong though.

Was looking for some input. I understand my MCAT is low and I will certainly retake if unsuccessful this cycle, but I've seen on here that URM/Veteran status can sometimes impact outcomes. I intend to complete secondaries for the SUNY schools, Buffalo SOM, NYMC, Albany, Howard, Meharry, Cooper SOM, and possibly the philly schools.

Main question is..would it be worth it in my case to submit secondaries to more schools than the ones I've listed. Any and all advice/criticism is welcome and best of luck to everyone else this cycle! TIA

12. aayz345

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone here know of schools that screen out MCAT subsections?

13. aayz345

Pre-Medical
    Thanks! I'll definitely focus on the MCAT for now. Just curious, but do you know of any schools that screen out MCAT sub-section scores? Looking at a lower than average CARS score atm. Hoping i can bring it up to 125 by test day

14. Beshwaji

Pre-Medical
    Several schools have a screen around 500. I've read that Creighton and Georgetown have a 125 subsection screen. I haven't hit any with 126 CARS.

15. aayz345

Pre-Medical
    Yea I've read about GTown's sub-section cut-off, but I haven't found any info regarding other schools that may screen out based on sub-sections. There's a Reddit thread with screening info for 60 schools. None of them have any info regarding sub-sections

16. booknerdz

Would you mind telling me what you did to increase your score?

17. PursuingHappy

Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This is from an earlier answer to that question.
    1. I'm not in school anymore, so did not have competing priorities.
    2. I focused on practice problems. I personally think that doing too much content review messed me up. I was so focused on learning the content that I did not take the time to learn how to actually take the test. Doing practice problems will help you understand your weaknesses and give you something to focus on. I used EK 1001 passages. They were SSSOOO hard but definitely prepared me for the real thing. I also used all of the AMCAS materials except one of the practice tests.
    3. I focused on my problem sections. I barely studied CARS ans Psych/Soc because I was a philosophy minor and had recently taken a psych course. I basically just did a lot of practice passages for these sections and used those to gauge what I needed to refresh my memory on.
    4. I also did practice tests every two weeks and then every week as I got closer to the test date. I kept a journal of every detail that I got wrong and referred to that at least 3 times a week. I also put things I got wrong in practice passages on the tests.
    5. Anki cards. I am not very good at memorizing, so flashcards helped a ton.
    I hope that helps!

18. booknerdz

Thank you!!

19. PursuingHappy

Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Feel free to PM if you have any other questions.

booknerdz likes this.
  20. Plebeian

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone heard about the "Students for Fair Admissions" winning justice department support? Am I correct in thinking this won't be an issue for the current application cycle?

The Grandmaster likes this.
  21. The Grandmaster

Pre-Medical
    I was wondering the same thing. Hypothetically speaking, what would be the implications of Asian-Americans + The Justice Department winning that case?

#470 The Grandmaster, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  22. Plebeian

Pre-Medical
    I just know it goes to trial on October 15th.

23. CandH23

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm not sure but in terms of medical school applications I think the importance of diversity here is that creating minority doctors is for the mission of improving the health disparities of their respective communities.

24. jiggamahninja

2+ Year Member

Sorry to necro a post but I've searched a lot of SDN and haven't found anyone in a similar position.

Black male from Delaware. My undergraduate GPA is around 3.0 but I graduated in 2010 with a major in theatre. Barely took any science classes but put very little effort into the ones I did take.

I finished a 44-credit DIY post bacc in 2017 with a cGPA of 3.73 and sGPA of 3.71.

My MCAT is a 510 (129, 125, 126, 130). I'm a little bummed about my score because I was practicing at around 513, but messed up on the biology section (126 actual exam vs. 129 practice).

My overall cGPA, including the post bacc, is a 3.17 and BCPM is 3.4

Since we're approaching midway in, should I bother applying this cycle? I had some financial issues, which resulted in my app not being verified until late August.

If I should go ahead and apply, should I go with the usual list (i.e., Temple, Drexel, GWU, Georgetown, Rosalind, Jefferson, etc.)? Do I have a realistic chance at any reach schools like Duke, Northwestern and the like?

Also, if I don't apply this cycle, should I even bother retaking the MCAT? Not sure how helpful 3 points will be.

If it helps, here are some highlights from my background:

J.D. with a concentration in health law. Legal research on the nature of head trauma and sports. Received high honors for related presentations.
    1000+ hours working at a primary care clinic.
    Over 200 hours shadowing primary care doctor, psychiatrist, and OB/GYN.
    Volunteered in Flint for the water crisis.
    300+ hours volunteering for my church. Created youth program and started community outreach program that teaches youth about the science related to hobbies like music and sports.
    Helped rebuild houses after hurricane Katrina.

25. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student

Do NOT retake the MCAT! If finances are not an issue, then definitely apply.
    Go with my list of reinventing rewarding schools. Make sure you have some DO schools and the HBCs, plus Jefferson

26. jiggamahninja

2+ Year Member

Ok. Thanks for your help.

27. diene_daily

Pre-Medical
    My non-professional opinion: If you're ready to start school next and don't want to wait, go ahead and apply broadly (for MD; DO cycle is longer so you should be fine). I think you have a solid app to get some II. However it is already September so I would recommend pre-writing those secondaries now and getting them in ASAP. If you don't mind another gap year, you can use that time to save up money for secondaries/interviews and continue any other ECs. Also agree you should not retake a 510.

28. jiggamahninja

2+ Year Member

Ok. Thank you so much. And congrats on all your interviews!!!

diene_daily likes this.
  29. Beshwaji

Pre-Medical
    Update: I submitted my Yale app and got an II in 2 days. To anyone applying in the future, don’t underestimate yourselves...

30. UnmarkedTrail

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My beard was around this length for my interviews. Obviously cleaner and shaped up. I got accepted last cycle.

[​IMG]

thefleetfooted likes this.
  31. Luftwaffle

2+ Year Member

I could use some advice.
    I'm suffering from serious imposter syndrome going into my interviews.
    I have bad stats and didn't do an SMP or post bacc (3.2 C, 2.96 S, 509) and while I'm OVER THE MOON to have any interviews at all, I'm having the hardest time getting out of my head over it. It feels like I don't deserve it/ only even got a look because I'm black cause if I had been ORM I doubt I would have gotten any love this cycle without post bacc work/ an SMP.
    Any suggestions for how I can get over myself/ psych myself up to present my best self for these interviews? Also, any advice on explaining poor grades?

tanbrucewayne likes this.
  32. TempuraOreos

Pre-Medical
    At an interview I recently had, my interview asked me what one of my fears was in my pursuit of medicine. I told her, "the feeling of not being good enough." I elaborated some more on what I meant. Our discussion afterward, has stuck with me the last few days. She put into perspective a bit and I'll try to paraphrase. Schools get hundreds if not thousands of interviews each cycle only for them to interview what like 1/5th of those applicants. Even if you may not have stellar grades, something about you and who you've shown to the admissions committee stands out and makes them feel that you would be a good fit for their school. It might be your extracurriculars? It might be your PS or secondary responses. It might be something intriguing your letter writers wrote about you. It might be a mix of things. Whatever the case is, they feel you ARE DESERVING of this shot. Yes, at the end of the day academics are important for medicine but there's more too it. Who you are as a person, those traits and skills that aren't necessarily part of academics (empathy, dedication, altruism, conscientiousness, etc.) are just as important imo. Think about those non-academic traits that the school you interview at might find important.

In regards to your bad grades, Ive read the best thing to do is own up to it. No excuses. Look back to what were you like during those classes that made you not do so well. Have you changed since then? If so, focus on the that. Show them that you are capable of overcoming those struggles and would thrive still in medical school because you've changed.

Good luck, fam! *In my best DJ Khaled Voice* You're the best, you're a real one. You're smart! You're kind!

Don't know if this'll help you at all but still.

33. OMGaNotherPreMed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Dude you are more than numbers my friend! It takes a crap load of grit to even go through premed and even more so going through the process of applying to med school! Know that ADCOMS saw something interesting in you and want to invest in you to represent their brand and serve our community. You will do great stuff man/lady! We need more minority physicians, so let’s represent and fill that gap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TempuraOreos likes this.
  34. Luftwaffle

2+ Year Member

Thanks friends! That does make me feel better :)

dreamer1994 and TempuraOreos like this.
  35. Beshwaji

Pre-Medical
    So when is a reasonable time to start declining IIs? I have 12 at this point, and the thought of spending more money on flights and time away from work is nauseating. I was thinking of attending 9, but still declining an II feels wrong...

36. rob1233

I would say with that many IIs, the odds of you not getting into at least one of those schools is extremely low. I know most people say to wait until your first acceptance to start rejecting interviews, but the odds are really in your favor now.

Beshwaji likes this.
  37. diene_daily

Pre-Medical
    I haven’t declined any yet, but the ones that are lower on my list, I’ve tried scheduling later on (if they give me the option to) so hopefully I’ll an acceptance before I have to plan flights. But definitely don’t decline until you get an acceptance because you never know!

38. treesnm3s

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I second this @Beshwaji

Beshwaji likes this.
  39. tanbrucewayne

Pre-Medical
    I did the same things with some of mine but still haven’t declined one yet!

Beshwaji likes this.
  40. UnconfidentPremed

Hey everyone!! Stumbled upon this late but it’s great to see all the success being displayed here. Although I am not applying this cycle, I am currently a premed with a dilemma. I am currently in my 4th year (taking an extra year afterwards) and I project my gpa to be a bit over 3.5 (sgpa-3.2). I have an excellent and diverse set of extracurriculars and will be taking the MCAT in a few months. I also attend a highly ranked (top 25 globally) school in Quebec (i’m also Haitian American). Am I still in the running for med school? What school list can I start out with?

41. sloppypapi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yikes, I'm late to this thread as well. My post-bac institution just sent out my committee letter a few days ago, so my app will be reviewed later than I had wished.

1st generation Ghanaian-American 26 y.o. female
    CA resident
    cGPA: 3.2, sGPA: 3.3 (with a pbGPA: 4.0), Overall strong upward trend
    510 MCAT (128, 124, 128,130)
    Clinical volunteering abroad in Ghana, ~180 clinical volunteering hrs in the US, ~90 Volunteer mentoring hours
    ~20 hours shadowing
    Research with poster presentation
    ~1800 Teaching hours
    ~2700 Medical assisting hours
    Good LORs but I think the MD LOR from the doctor I currently work with will put me over the edge
    And not to toot my own horn, but I think my essays have been pretty compelling, with an emphasis on serving underserved communities and the importance of cultural competence​

Applied to 16 MD, Received and sent 14 secondaries. Hope that I can return to this thread with news of an II soon.

42. TempuraOreos

Pre-Medical
    I totally get the whole missing work part. My job has let me know that I might be put part-time for missing so much. Not in a bad way, more like a hey heads up way.

I've only declined one so far. TTU El Paso. The school thread was a little offputting for me and if I'm going to fly out west, then I'd rather it be for a more highly ranked school (like Stanford or a UC). Personally don't think I will regret it but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#491 TempuraOreos, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Beshwaji likes this.
  43. prairiemusic

Pre-Medical
    I knew I was forgetting to do something lol hello friends! I'm applying this cycle and this is almost as stressful as MCAT studying.

AA lesbian
    cGPA: 3.04, sGPA: 2.98 (up to 3.06/3.03 after finishing a summer class but those are the stats on my AMCAS)
    MCAT: 516 (127/130/127/132)
    75 shadowing hours (primary care and a surgical subspecialty)
    1500 hours paid clinical employment
    400 hours clinical volunteering
    250 hours non-clinical volunteering
    SMDEP/SHPEP alum
    10000+ hours playing an instrument
    Leadership position in LGBTQ affinity group that I co-founded

I put in 25 primaries and then added 3 schools that I figured were out of my league but they contacted me and waived my app fee. So far I've completed 23 secondaries, received 3 pre-secondary rejections from OOS state schools, a hold from GW, and one II to my state school. I didn't get my committee letter until 8/20ish so I think I'm just now starting to hear back from schools. However, it is kind of disheartening to see people with like 11 IIs already. I know my app isn't that strong but I was hoping my MCAT and story would open some doors :( this whole process is so draining. People always said the cycle would be long but I had no idea how bad it would really be.

Congrats to everyone in the thread on the success so far! I hope I'll be able to contribute to it soon.

44. sloppypapi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Your app is pretty great apart from the GPA. Do you have an upward trend/ redemption arc in your story?
    I totally understand where you're coming from though. On one hand, any II is an open door. But of course, when you work so hard to accommodate for the GPA, you hope more schools will recognize it. I would bet on you get at least a few more IIs in the near future (lol but what do I know, I'm just another applicant)

45. thefleetfooted

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That's exactly where I would like to keep it, but I'm too risk averse, lol. I can't leave anything to chance at this point. If I was a stronger candidate, I'd probably be willing to take the risk, especially because I look and feel better with it. *shrugs* It is what it is.

46. prairiemusic

Pre-Medical
    If you look and feel better that way, I say go for it. I don't think clean and well maintained facial hair is considered unprofessional at all.

47. prairiemusic

Pre-Medical
    Don't really have an upward trend, just a lot of Bs. I had some difficulty adjusting to college and then had mental health issues. In my app I just say I dealt with a serious illness which is now resolved because that stigma is too real. Thanks for replying and thinking I have some good news in my future :)

48. thefleetfooted

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Me neither, but from what I've seen, in residency interviews (at least surgery), a clean shaven face is expected unless the beard is for religious/cultural reasons. I've basically extrapolated it to med school interviews, where there's even less room for error, so to speak. Idk. I hate the way my face looks now (just cut the beard off several days ago), but I don't want to go through this cycle with one iota of doubt as to what I could have done to improve my chances.

49. TempuraOreos

Pre-Medical
    Did you apply only MD? WIth 28 schools I'm assuming you applied broadly. Personally, I think your ECs are pretty awesome, especially the LGBTQ+ involvement. Obviously only an applicant as well, but I think your GPA might be what's keeping you back so far but since they'll be receiving your committee letter soon maybe your professors/committee can vouch for your dedication and work ethic. It's still fairly early so I would say just wait it out. Keep doing what you're doing that you enjoy.

prairiemusic likes this.
  50. prairiemusic

Pre-Medical
    I haven't heard that before but I also haven't looked into it like you have! Totally get where you're coming from. Just wanted to encourage you to do what feels best to you - I think it would boost your mood and attitude. How long do you have before the interview? Hopefully it's long enough for you to feel more comfortable with being clean shaven and/or long enough to grow to the length that you like if you change your mind.

51. prairiemusic

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, broadly and only MD. Just didn't want to deal with the DO stigma (even though I think it shouldn't exist) and also didn't want to redo my personal statement lol. If this cycle doesn't work out I'll definitely include DO next time. I think my letters are probably pretty good, I made sure to only get them from professors I bonded with and my mentor. The committee letter at my school is mostly excerpts from the letters and a little bit from an interview that I think went well for me.

From what I can tell on the school specific threads, the vast majority of schools just haven't gotten to me yet if they're going chronologically. Patience is hard though.