***2018-2019 URM Medical School Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For all my curvy ladies, what are you wearing to interviews?

I decided to do a pant suit but I don’t want to look too curvy. I’m leaning more towards a wide legged pant to take away attention from my hips but any suggestions? My interview is coming up this week.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For all my curvy ladies, what are you wearing to interviews?

I decided to do a pant suit but I don’t want to look too curvy. I’m leaning more towards a wide legged pant to take away attention from my hips but any suggestions? My interview is coming up this week.
Same thing but a straight leg pant. I asked some pol about it and they just said that you can't really change your body so just have to go with it. The jacket to my suit is also sufficiently long that it covers the top part of my but so it doesn't draw to much attention, but I have a skirt suit as well just in case.

Reactions: 1 user
Keep going! October 15 is approaching!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for this. So close. Never realized traveling could get so exhausting. How do business people do this?
Keep going! October 15 is approaching!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
This is probably a really dumb question at this point but what’s the significance of October 15th?

Reactions: 1 users
Really kicking myself for not applying earlier, but hopefully we’ll get some good news soon!

Are you applying right now? I think the WAMC section can provide better guidance, but I would say the 4 schools in Manhattan, HMS, BU, Tufts, Yale, Drexel, TJU, Temple, GWU, Duke, Georgetown, Emory + state schools + HBCUs would be a good list

Are you applying right now? I think the WAMC section can provide better guidance, but I would say the 4 schools in Manhattan, HMS, BU, Tufts, Yale, Drexel, TJU, Temple, GWU, Duke, Georgetown, Emory + state schools + HBCUs would be a good list

Thanks! Yeah this cycle, I'm complete at most places just want to see if there are any schools worth adding

Thanks! Yeah this cycle, I'm complete at most places just want to see if there are any schools worth adding

Anecdotal, but I think you have a pretty good shot. I have a similar uGPA and postbac GPA similar to your SMP but with a much lower MCAT at 507 and I have 1 DO and 2 MD so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anecdotal, but I think you have a pretty good shot. I have a similar uGPA and postbac GPA similar to your SMP but with a much lower MCAT at 507 and I have 1 DO and 2 MD so far.
When were you complete?

Not sure if adding school's at the moment is considered late in the cycle but I think you'd have a good shot at most schools, and they can't say yes unless you apply

Hey everyone,

Congrats to everyone receiving II's and those of you that have been accepted. I spent a lot of time just reading your inspirational stories and seeing what this community has done! Now, I won't be applying for at least 2 more cycles. I'm currently doing a semi DIY Postbacc and hopefully moving forward to a formal program at my state school. Due to my less than stellar performance during undergrad(many factors), according to my calculations (including my postbacc) my cGPA will be around a 2.99, Maybe a 3.1 if I add a few math courses from my local CC, my sGPA (hopefully) will be around a 3.9. I will also be completing 2 graduate degrees (business admin and project management) by then, I know they don't carry much weight, but I figured I'd mention it. I'll be a nontrad Nigerian-American applicant from an underserved community. I'm a good test taker especially standardized tests (I know the MCAT is a whole different animal lol) Basically I want to know what else I should be doing aside from dedicated MCAT studying when that time comes, research experience and other ECs what I should be doing to increase my chances for a successful cycle (classes, prayer lol anything that works). I know it happens, but I'd really rather not have to apply twice. Any and all suggestions are welcome :happy: (or please direct me to the proper forum to post this question if this isn't the right place)

Hey everyone,

Congrats to everyone receiving II's and those of you that have been accepted. I spent a lot of time just reading your inspirational stories and seeing what this community has done! Now, I won't be applying for at least 2 more cycles. I'm currently doing a semi DIY Postbacc and hopefully moving forward to a formal program at my state school. Due to my less than stellar performance during undergrad(many factors), according to my calculations (including my postbacc) my cGPA will be around a 2.99, Maybe a 3.1 if I add a few math courses from my local CC, my sGPA (hopefully) will be around a 3.9. I will also be completing 2 graduate degrees (business admin and project management) by then, I know they don't carry much weight, but I figured I'd mention it. I'll be a nontrad Nigerian-American applicant from an underserved community. I'm a good test taker especially standardized tests (I know the MCAT is a whole different animal lol) Basically I want to know what else I should be doing aside from dedicated MCAT studying when that time comes, research experience and other ECs what I should be doing to increase my chances for a successful cycle (classes, prayer lol anything that works). I know it happens, but I'd really rather not have to apply twice. Any and all suggestions are welcome :happy: (or please direct me to the proper forum to post this question if this isn't the right place)
Aside from the things you mentioned, having a good school list and a well written application will help. When the time comes, ask the adcoms about the schools u should apply to.

Hoping for good news tomorrow for everyone here!

Reactions: 8 users
I'm two years away from applying but wanted to hop in the thread and wish you all the best for this cycle. Sounds like tomorrow is a big day!

Reactions: 7 users
Wow, thanks everyone! Really feeling the love :) Good luck to everyone else applying this cycle. I feel like the weight of uncertainty has been lifted off my shoulders.

Accepted!! Thank You Jesus!!

Reactions: 16 users
Congrats to those who got an acceptance! The hard work paid off:claps:

Today has been amazing. Literally so happy with how things are turning out.

Reactions: 12 users
ACCEPTED!!! MD officially loading *hits them folks*

Reactions: 24 users
A day late due to my celebrations, but got accepted yesterday. For those of you that lurk and post in this thread, keep on hustling!

Reactions: 20 users
In. Withdrew from a bunch of interviews, and will likely stop using SDN after this post. To all random individuals that see this my only advice is to get your application in early and to use SDN for secondary prompts before you get them + next years urm thread for encouragement. There will be a **** ton of waiting so the earlier you get an acceptance is the earlier you can relieve your stress and have an easier wait.

Beyond that, most of SDN is bat **** insane...like nuts (probably outside of this thread). Get your MCAT, submit your application, and move on...these boys crazy!
This advice + your name are A+

Really hoping to jump on the A train soon..this waiting game on decisions from schools post oct. 15 is agonizing:eek: (and I also really am trying to withdraw from interviews before I dish out on more flights)

Congrats to all you future docs so far!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Really hoping to jump on the A train soon..this waiting game on decisions from schools post oct. 15 is agonizing:eek: (and I also really am trying to withdraw from interviews before I dish out on more flights)

Congrats to all you future docs so far!!!
I'd be so down to drop more interviews if they were from a whole bunch of lower-tier schools that aren't better than the ones I've gotten into. I have withdrawn from a few schools In haven't heard back from though. Feels amazing to have that much power though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'd be so down to drop more interviews if they were from a whole bunch of lower-tier schools that aren't better than the ones I've gotten into. I have withdrawn from a few schools In haven't heard back from though. Feels amazing to have that much power though.
Your signature is insane (RIP bank account) I can see you getting a minimum of like 8 acceptances if you go to the rest of the 20 II. Better negotiate a huge financial package lol

Your signature is insane (RIP bank account) I can see you getting a minimum of like 8 acceptances if you go to the rest of the 20 II. Better negotiate a huge financial package lol
Thanks. Actually been doing all types of cost savings.

1. Fee Assistance Program. (15 free schools, no secondary fees). Family is poor so literally parents can't contribute. If anything I've been helping keep them afloat.

2. Staying hosts or friends for all the interviews that aren't within like a two hour drive. Seriously recommend this.

3a. Using price trackers for flights, buses, etc. to try get best deals. 3b. Travel really light (Personal item, suit, maybe carry-on, done). 3c. Have students loans on income-based repayment (Should've done this since graduating then would have a bit more set aside.)

4. Stacking interviews that are in similar areas so dont have to go repeatedly.

5. I've also stacked up vacations hours at work so still making about the same paychecks biweekly (about $200 less than normally). Running out of them though.

6. Living at home so costs of living is a lot lower (Hate living at home but suck it up because cheap). 6b. Dont have a car so no car payments/insurance payments but trade-off is constantly bumming rides and Ubering. Again, might have saved a lot more if had car still not sure.

7. Then, put all costs on my Chase Sapphire card (had like $5000 dollar limit) (1yr 0APR) plus unlocking points for flights. Gonna a pay down the card to make the remaining interviews. Then spend next few months trying to have everything completely paid or get another card and balance transfer before matriculation.

I'd have to look at my spending because I have used my card for non-med school things to make sure I made the minimum to receive the points. But I think I've done decent for how much traveling I've done.

Reactions: 8 users
Oh heck yeah. Gonna try my best to hustle for financial aid. Like basically they have to beat Texas CoA. I'm poor my parents too so even they ask for my parents stuff they'll see same ****. Give me money lol!

Oh heck yeah. Gonna try my best to hustle for financial aid. Like basically they have to beat Texas CoA. I'm poor my parents too so even they ask for my parents stuff they'll see same ****. Give me money lol!

I spoke with a MS2 at an expensive Midwest school this week that was a TX resident when they applied. They were able to finesse being a TX resident/having a TX acceptance into package negotiations.

I spoke with a MS2 at an expensive Midwest school this week that was a TX resident when they applied. They were able to finesse being a TX resident/having a TX acceptance into package negotiations.
That's lit, yo. If the Texas school gives me instate tuition right off the bat, that would be aces for the financial aid hustle.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted. I'm so excited for you all :) (even though I don't know you personally lol).

Jeez, you guys have me second guessing my application photo. I'm dressed professionally with natural makeup, but my hair is a tapered TWA with 4c coils.
eb1d3d035ae18334a9b801443689d40a.jpg

(Not me in the pic. Example in case you don't know what I mean)
I don't personally feel like it's a particularly edgy style, but the adcoms in the fly-over state PWIs might.

Your hair is fly and perfect for the interview trail and life. As a student who has worked on one of the admissions committees in those schools, it's absolutely professional.

Hey y'all. I normally do not post much, but I have seen a lot of questions on this feed about the MCAT, so I thought I would share a little about my experience as a URM male. Before studying for the MCAT, I was so nervous at taking such an important standardized test. I ended up going with Altius Test Prep which helped me to score in the 95th percentile. Because of that, I have been offered more than 20 interview invitations to the best medical schools in the country (harvard, mayo, johns hopkins), with multiple acceptances already. Super awesome program that can really get you where you need to go. Let me know if you have any questions about this. But anyway, the MCAT is super doable if you are willing to put in the work to achieve it. For those of you contemplating retaking, make sure you are actually doing something different so that you can get different results. hope that helps for those who seem a little stuck on what to do about the MCAT.

Hey y'all. I normally do not post much, but I have seen a lot of questions on this feed about the MCAT, so I thought I would share a little about my experience as a URM male. Before studying for the MCAT, I was so nervous at taking such an important standardized test. I ended up going with Altius Test Prep which helped me to score in the 95th percentile. Because of that, I have been offered more than 20 interview invitations to the best medical schools in the country (harvard, mayo, johns hopkins), with multiple acceptances already. Super awesome program that can really get you where you need to go. Let me know if you have any questions about this. But anyway, the MCAT is super doable if you are willing to put in the work to achieve it. For those of you contemplating retaking, make sure you are actually doing something different so that you can get different results. hope that helps for those who seem a little stuck on what to do about the MCAT.
Is this a course or did you just use their review materials? Only know a little about Altius. For me, ended up using Examcrackers books, Khan academy videos, and a ton of review questions from any free sources I could get. Spread my studying over 6 months since I was working full time though.

Accepted last week ago. Does anyone have an idea when I can start negotiating scholarships/ financial aid?

Hi!

I am a non-trad who applied late in the cycle, but on time for my state schools. I submitted one of my secondaries 2.5 weeks ago and received my first interview invite last week. PUMPED!

Y'all are inspiring. Keep the positivity coming! :luck:

Reactions: 15 users
Hey friends! I just found out there was an URM application thread and have found my happy place. I am an URM who wants to get into a T10... specifically Harvard... and need help figuring out what more I need/what I should aim for on my MCAT (obviously as high as possible but give me a range/a no zone)

URM AA Female. Texas.
GPA when applying is going to be around a 3.65 with a 3.98 sGPA. Bachelor's in nursing.
MCAT - TBA (help me decide what I need to get into a top 10)

Nonclinical volunteering:
1,000 hours at a rape crisis center
50 hours volunteering at a camp for kids/families with spina bifida (unsure if it's clinical because I didn't do anything... is this underserved?)

Other clinical/random experience:
4 years working in pharmacy
3 years working as home health care aide to elderly woman on Medicaid (underserved)
100 hours volunteering for hospice
25 hours shadowing three different MDs

Leadership:
VP of Honor Society
Board Member for Student Counsel
Mentor
Orientation Leader

Other Activities:
Representative for an Medical Interprofessional Committee
School's NAACP member

Research:
First Author Publication (Another on the way)
3 Presentations so far (Two that are probably going to happen)
1 Invited Talk

Hey friends! I just found out there was an URM application thread and have found my happy place. I am an URM who wants to get into a T10... specifically Harvard... and need help figuring out what more I need/what I should aim for on my MCAT (obviously as high as possible but give me a range/a no zone)

URM AA Female. Texas.
GPA when applying is going to be around a 3.65 with a 3.98 sGPA. Bachelor's in nursing.
MCAT - TBA (help me decide what I need to get into a top 10)

Nonclinical volunteering:
1,000 hours at a rape crisis center
50 hours volunteering at a camp for kids/families with spina bifida (unsure if it's clinical because I didn't do anything... is this underserved?)

Other clinical/random experience:
4 years working in pharmacy
3 years working as home health care aide to elderly woman on Medicaid (underserved)
100 hours volunteering for hospice
25 hours shadowing three different MDs

Leadership:
VP of Honor Society
Board Member for Student Counsel
Mentor
Orientation Leader

Other Activities:
Representative for an Medical Interprofessional Committee
School's NAACP member

Research:
First Author Publication (Another on the way)
3 Presentations so far (Two that are probably going to happen)
1 Invited Talk
Wow great stats and experiences! If you can get above a 512 mcat and you should be highly competitive at T10s