***2018-2019 URM Medical School Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't been here in a while, but I just wanted to say that it is great to see so many of you getting accepted and/or continuing to push forward. Makes me proud and you all are definitely providing great examples for those to come after you.

Reactions: 11 users
I know this thread is a little slow this time of year but I wanted to pop in and say I just received an acceptance! As someone who started this process with a gpa <2.5 from a science undergraduate I didn't think it was going to be possible to recover to a point with this much success in my first cycle. The support in this thread is legit and I immensely appreciate the years worth of threads I've dug through to help make decisions along the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 25 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know this thread is a little slow this time of year but I wanted to pop in and say I just received an acceptance! As someone who started this process with a gpa <2.5 from a science undergraduate I didn't think it was going to be possible to recover to a point with this much success in my first cycle. The support in this thread is legit and I immensely appreciate the years worth of threads I've dug through to help make decisions along the way.
YAAAHHHHSSSSSSS!!! Congratulations to you! :clap::soexcited:

Reactions: 4 users
Hey friends! I just found out there was an URM application thread and have found my happy place. I am an URM who wants to get into a T10... specifically Harvard... and need help figuring out what more I need/what I should aim for on my MCAT (obviously as high as possible but give me a range/a no zone)

URM AA Female. Texas.
GPA when applying is going to be around a 3.65 with a 3.98 sGPA. Bachelor's in nursing.
MCAT - TBA (help me decide what I need to get into a top 10)

Nonclinical volunteering:
1,000 hours at a rape crisis center
50 hours volunteering at a camp for kids/families with spina bifida (unsure if it's clinical because I didn't do anything... is this underserved?)

Other clinical/random experience:
4 years working in pharmacy
3 years working as home health care aide to elderly woman on Medicaid (underserved)
100 hours volunteering for hospice
25 hours shadowing three different MDs

Leadership:
VP of Honor Society
Board Member for Student Counsel
Mentor
Orientation Leader

Other Activities:
Representative for an Medical Interprofessional Committee
School's NAACP member

Research:
First Author Publication (Another on the way)
3 Presentations so far (Two that are probably going to happen)
1 Invited Talk
I just got an Interview Invite to Harvard! I’m a texas urm as well, obviously not accepted and that’s a different story but I think you’re in a good position considering the background of your application!

Reactions: 10 users
Hey friends! I just found out there was an URM application thread and have found my happy place. I am an URM who wants to get into a T10... specifically Harvard... and need help figuring out what more I need/what I should aim for on my MCAT (obviously as high as possible but give me a range/a no zone)

URM AA Female. Texas.
GPA when applying is going to be around a 3.65 with a 3.98 sGPA. Bachelor's in nursing.
MCAT - TBA (help me decide what I need to get into a top 10)

Nonclinical volunteering:
1,000 hours at a rape crisis center
50 hours volunteering at a camp for kids/families with spina bifida (unsure if it's clinical because I didn't do anything... is this underserved?)

Other clinical/random experience:
4 years working in pharmacy
3 years working as home health care aide to elderly woman on Medicaid (underserved)
100 hours volunteering for hospice
25 hours shadowing three different MDs

Leadership:
VP of Honor Society
Board Member for Student Counsel
Mentor
Orientation Leader

Other Activities:
Representative for an Medical Interprofessional Committee
School's NAACP member

Research:
First Author Publication (Another on the way)
3 Presentations so far (Two that are probably going to happen)
1 Invited Talk
Great experiences! I would say 510+ would make you competitive for top 10s

Reactions: 1 user
I received my second II! Top 20 school.

Let's gooooooooo!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: 14 users
What percent of IIs have the HBCUs given out at this point?? Half? I have heard that they have later cycles.

What percent of IIs have the HBCUs given out at this point?? Half? I have heard that they have later cycles.

I’m not sure how to find this answer unless we call and ask them, but damn I haven’t gotten a single HBCU II. Like, throw me a bone! I’m blessed to already have an accept, but I want to attend a Black medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, want some feedback on my school list. Is it too top heavy

I'm a 1st generation, Mexican. CA native, low SES

3.6 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA 510 MCAT

- Have a steep upward trend. Earned a 3.3 at Community college after 3 years. Then Earned a 3.9 at a UC school where I majored in Biology. Took around 60 semester credits at the UC

EC'S:

Research:
- 1.5 years of research in plant biology. Strong LOR, no pub or posters
- Did a 3 month research internship at Stanford Med School during high school. Presented a poster

Clinical:
- 120 Hours of hospital volunteering
- 50 hours of shadowing various specialties

Non-clinical:
- 50 Hours at foodbank
- 50 hours at a warehouse that donates medical supplies

Paid Employment:
-Worked near full-time at retail/fast food throughout community college. Main reason for my sub-par performance at CC
- Tutored Gen chem and Bio at community college for 1 year ~160 hours
- Tutored kids k-8th grade in math/english for 1 year ~ 220 hours (strong LOR)
- Currently working as a Behavior Interventionist full-time. I work closely with autistic kids/adolescents. Have worked around 900 hours and should have 2000+ hours by the time I apply and could get promoted to program manager soon based on recent reviews/raises

Schoo list:

UCSF
UCLA (DG and CDU)
UCD
UCI
UCSD
USC
Cal U of Science and Med
Stanford
NYU
Harvard
Cornell
Sinai
NYMC
Einstein
Tulane
Wake Forest
OHSU
Ohio State
UTSW
Meharry
George Washington
Georgetown
JHU
Michigan
Miami
U of Az (both campuses)
Mayo (Az)
Northwestern
Iowa
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Emory
UColorado
UW-Madison

How's everybody doing!??!

1st time applicant here who's freaking out a bit and gearing up for a MCAT retake in the spring in case these interviews don't turn into acceptances.

Hey guys, want some feedback on my school list. Is it too top heavy

I'm a 1st generation, Mexican. CA native, low SES

3.6 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA 510 MCAT

- Have a steep upward trend. Earned a 3.3 at Community college after 3 years. Then Earned a 3.9 at a UC school where I majored in Biology. Took around 60 semester credits at the UC

EC'S:

Research:
- 1.5 years of research in plant biology. Strong LOR, no pub or posters
- Did a 3 month research internship at Stanford Med School during high school. Presented a poster

Clinical:
- 120 Hours of hospital volunteering
- 50 hours of shadowing various specialties

Non-clinical:
- 50 Hours at foodbank
- 50 hours at a warehouse that donates medical supplies

Paid Employment:
-Worked near full-time at retail/fast food throughout community college. Main reason for my sub-par performance at CC
- Tutored Gen chem and Bio at community college for 1 year ~160 hours
- Tutored kids k-8th grade in math/english for 1 year ~ 220 hours (strong LOR)
- Currently working as a Behavior Interventionist full-time. I work closely with autistic kids/adolescents. Have worked around 900 hours and should have 2000+ hours by the time I apply and could get promoted to program manager soon based on recent reviews/raises

Schoo list:

UCSF
UCLA (DG and CDU)
UCD
UCI
UCSD
USC
Cal U of Science and Med
Stanford
NYU
Harvard
Cornell
Sinai
NYMC
Einstein
Tulane
Wake Forest
OHSU
Ohio State
UTSW
Meharry
George Washington
Georgetown
JHU
Michigan
Miami
U of Az (both campuses)
Mayo (Az)
Northwestern
Iowa
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Emory
UColorado
UW-Madison
Add Pritzker?

EDIT: And UIC? You may be able to drop or swap Meharry. You should receive a lot of bites, considering your application holistically.

Last edited:
How's everybody doing!??!

1st time applicant here who's freaking out a bit and gearing up for a MCAT retake in the spring in case these interviews don't turn into acceptances.
Trying to be patient :yuck:, although taking rough science classes, raising kiddos, working full-time and volunteering helps keep my mind busy. Ha!

Having interviews is fantastic! Congratulations on overcoming that hurdle. It is always good to have a Plan B.

What's your story?

Members don't see this ad :)
Add Pritzker?

EDIT: And UIC? You may be able to drop or swap Meharry. You should receive a lot of bites, considering your application holistically.

I had Pritzker on there but figured I might not be qualified enough. Is my list looking fine or is it top heavy?

I had Pritzker on there but figured I might not be qualified enough. Is my list looking fine or is it top heavy?
Not qualified enough for Pritzker but you have Harvard and JHU on your list? Lol. Add Pritzker is my recommendation.

It does not look top heavy to me. You have lower tier to balance plus your state schools.

Not qualified enough for Pritzker but you have Harvard and JHU on your list? Lol. Add Pritzker is my recommendation.

It does not look top heavy to me. You have lower tier to balance plus your state schools.
Thanks for your advice, I’ll add in Pritzker.

Lol I guess what I meant to say is that I felt that my list might be too top heavy for me. I heard from a source that it’s too Top heavy.

Lol I guess what I meant to say is that I felt that my list might be too top heavy for me. I heard from a source that it’s too Top heavy.
You will hear everything on here, lol.

Have you tried using the WARS calculator? That helps to breakdown which schools should be on your list considering many different parts of your application.

Reactions: 1 users
You will hear everything on here, lol.

Have you tried using the WARS calculator? That helps to breakdown which schools should be on your list considering many different parts of your application.

I Heard it on a different site, not here haha. Yea I tried WARS, I have an 78-80 which indicates that I shouldn’t apply to any low tiers lol. Sort of confuses me But Idk i guess I’ll go with it

I Heard it on a different site, not here haha. Yea I tried WARS, I have an 78-80 which indicates that I shouldn’t apply to any low tiers lol. Sort of confuses me But Idk i guess I’ll go with it
That would make sense, considering you're likely to get offers from higher tier and won't care about them anyway. Keep doing what you're doing!

This thread and the threads like it are amazing. Keep posting, people.

Reactions: 3 users

I have similar stats to yours. I also thought my list was too top-heavy (too California heavy really), but I’ve done much better than I ever expected. I think your list is good, and you have some low/mid-tiers to balance things out. You can post in the WAMC forum too though, and some of the adcoms might have some suggestions. That really helped me with my list.

I have similar stats to yours. I also thought my list was too top-heavy (too California heavy really), but I’ve done much better than I ever expected. I think your list is good, and you have some low/mid-tiers to balance things out. You can post in the WAMC forum too though, and some of the adcoms might have some suggestions. That really helped me with my list.

Awesome, I’m glad to hear that it’s going well for you! Can I PM you?

Recieved this in my email. PM if you want the link.
Screenshot_20181218-133708_Gmail.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Yesterday was a great day! Received acceptances to my top choices yesterday!! I'm gonna be a doctor yall :soexcited:

I honestly cannot believe that I am going to be a physician scientist. I had some acceptances since the beginning of the month, but it just now hit me. Can't even cry cause I am still in shock (but I really want to lol).

Hope y’all are doing great! Quick question: is there anyway I can be proactive about getting URM-based scholarships (ex: apply for them, fill out paperwork, etc...)? I heard that these exist but I wasn’t sure if we had to do anything—or how to

Edit. More about me in case this matters:
AA male, LizzyM <70, not-disadvantage

Hope y’all are doing great! Quick question: is there anyway I can be proactive about getting URM-based scholarships (ex: apply for them, fill out paperwork, etc...)? I heard that these exist but I wasn’t sure if we had to do anything—or how to

Edit. More about me in case this matters:
AA male, LizzyM <70, not-disadvantage
When I was doing some scholarship searches a few weeks, I used Scholarships.com. I just googled medical school scholarships, and that popped up. There were a ton of state specific ones and I think a few URM ones. I'd imagine a thorough google search is a place to start. You could also consider asking the financial aid office of any schools you've interviewed and/or been accepted.

Not sure if this topic has been discussed, but what are everyone's thoughts on a higher ranking school vs an HBCU? I feel like I need the support that would come with an HBCU, but I'm interested in a career in academics, which a higher ranking school would help me at.

Not sure if this topic has been discussed, but what are everyone's thoughts on a higher ranking school vs an HBCU? I feel like I need the support that would come with an HBCU, but I'm interested in a career in academics, which a higher ranking school would help me at.

For me, Id say higher ranking school. Im interested in going into Academia too so ranking matters to me, as well. There are a couple of schools that are high ranking but still have a good amount of POCs. UChicago for example, has probably one of the highest percentages of minority students (URMs) for a medical school despite it's small class. UMich, some of the UC schools, UPenn, also seemed to have a diverse student body and a sizeable african American community. For me, I feel like HBCUs are just like PWIs in the sense that they don't have as much diversity as I would like (someone please check me on this if it's not true). I've grown to enjoy being around people who are not my skin tone or ethnic background so going to an HBCU seems counter to my goals and interests. Just my two cents.

^ agreed. I couldn’t have imagined being at a PWI for undergrad but it’s definitely the move for professional school.

For me, Id say higher ranking school. Im interested in going into Academia too so ranking matters to me, as well. There are a couple of schools that are high ranking but still have a good amount of POCs. UChicago for example, has probably one of the highest percentages of minority students (URMs) for a medical school despite it's small class. UMich, some of the UC schools, UPenn, also seemed to have a diverse student body and a sizeable african American community. For me, I feel like HBCUs are just like PWIs in the sense that they don't have as much diversity as I would like (someone please check me on this if it's not true). I've grown to enjoy being around people who are not my skin tone or ethnic background so going to an HBCU seems counter to my goals and interests. Just my two cents.

I disagree with the HBCUs not being as diverse. Our skin color may have been the same (even this is a debate), but there was a lot of diversity in my undergrad. We had several people from different countries, religions, languages, socioeconomic backgrounds, and geographic diversity. We also had several people who were apart of the LGBTQIA+ community and a few white and Hispanic students. Don't mean to be so hard on you but I hate when people assume HBCUs are not diverse. Not all black people are the same; therefore, you should still expect some degree of diversity in a predominantly Black school.

Reactions: 8 users
I disagree with the HBCUs not being as diverse. Our skin color may have been the same (even this is a debate), but there was a lot of diversity in my undergrad. We had several people from different countries, religions, languages, socioeconomic backgrounds, and geographic diversity. We also had several people who were apart of the LGBTQIA+ community and a few white and Hispanic students. Don't mean to be so hard on you but I hate when people assume HBCUs are not diverse. Not all black people are the same; therefore, you should still expect some degree of diversity in a predominantly Black school.
Thank you for checking me on this. You're right. I guess I was thinking about it in a different way.

Thank you for checking me on this. You're right. I guess I was thinking about it in a different way.
No worries. I'm guilty too lol. I thought HBCUs weren't diverse either until I attended one lol.

I still don't think HBCUs typically offer the same level as diversity as say a diverse PWI. Saying HBCUs are diverse is like saying people have different personalities... it's a given. No one calls homogeneous PWIs diverse even though their students come from different backgrounds as well. Just my 2c.

Source: soon-to-be alum of one of the most "diverse" HBCUs.

I still don't think HBCUs typically offer the same level as diversity as say a diverse PWI. Saying HBCUs are diverse is like saying people have different personalities... it's a given. No one calls homogeneous PWIs diverse even though their students come from different backgrounds as well. Just my 2c.

Source: soon-to-be alum of one of the most "diverse" HBCUs.

I agree that a diverse PWI does offer more diversity than an HBCU. However, different personalities and different backgrounds are two different things. People from diverse backgrounds have a unique set of experiences that may not always seen outwardly in one's personality.

I actually think homogeneous PWIs are diverse as well because I understand that diversity is more than just skin color. I think people just assume diversity = different skin colors when diversity encompasses more than that. To the original question lol, I do agree with you and TempuraOreos about going to a higher ranking school for medical school, especially with an interest in academia.

Accepted today. It still doesn't feel real!!!!

Reactions: 18 users
Accepted to the University of Washington yesterday! :soexcited:

Reactions: 27 users
Hey guys! I'm a Jamaican-American second year DO student and I would love to answer questions that you guys have about medical school. Also, I have just started a youtube and my hopes are to get more people of color interested in medicine while also giving real tips about what being in medical school is like. If you're interested you can watch my latest video: or if you have any burning questions feel free to send me a message. =)

Reactions: 13 users
All URM applicants in this cycle and to apply next cycle, can I get a "YERRRRRR"? We in this together

Will be applying this upcoming cycle. Wish me luck

Reactions: 13 users
All URM applicants in this cycle and to apply next cycle, can I get a "YERRRRRR"? We in this together

I'm applying this upcoming cycle too after graduating in May! Grateful for the support/inspiration each of you provides! :happy: Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back this cycle and congrats to everyone who has received acceptances so far!

Reactions: 7 users
Hey everybody! Hope you guys are having a great cycle so far. There is a new free program at USC Med School (in LA) for URM premeds to get a glimpse of medical school and learn how to perfect their app. DM me if interested and I'll send more info because there is only one week left to apply :)

ALSO, I am a first year medical student who can answer any questions you guys might have!!

I have gone down the rabbit hole of reading some strongly worded threads against affirmative action, claiming race should have no role in this process, and even anecdotes of people saying that they know of people who selected a different race for the purpose of increasing chance of admissions. While this has all made me very angry, it is not worth the time to comment and try to convince the ignorant otherwise. Just wanted to I am thankful this thread exists! It has helped immensely to have a group of uplifting people throughout a process that does nothing but wear your down mentally.

Hope this stays afloat in the coming years. Hope everyone is having a great cycle!!

Reactions: 18 users