***2018-2019 URM Medical School Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yoooo status update: 1A! 2 WL, 1 pending, 1 II scheduled. Still grinding outchea
Aye!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So those of us who haven't gotten an A yet... whats the move?
I want to start looking into SMPs/Masters programs just in case none of my IIs come through.
Any advice on SMPs/Masters programs?

So those of us who haven't gotten an A yet... whats the move?
I want to start looking into SMPs/Masters programs just in case none of my IIs come through.
Any advice on SMPs/Masters programs?
Is there weaknesses in your app you think can be fixed without doing the SMP? SMPs cost mad bread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there weaknesses in your app you think can be fixed without doing the SMP? SMPs cost mad bread.
I could retake the MCAT and score higher. I took it in Jan 2017, and I graduated in May 2017 so I'm removed from my basic sciences somewhat. What is the latest I could take the MCAT for this next upcoming cycle?

I could retake the MCAT and score higher. I took it in Jan 2017, and I graduated in May 2017 so I'm removed from my basic sciences somewhat. What is the latest I could take the MCAT for this next upcoming cycle?
Early April if you want to be ready to submit as early as possible (which you should).

Early April if you want to be ready to submit as early as possible (which you should).
Id say as late as June to be complete in July isn’t too bad. It’s not super early but it’s not late.

Reactions: 1 users
I took my MCAT in July, complete in August, and did well this cycle. I'm sure it can be school dependent. I also did a SMP so maybe that's why.

Last edited:

I say July. August and Sept could actually work, but to be safe, July.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone!

Had NO clue this forum existed lol. Love the support here! See some familiar faces from Reddit lol. Will the 2019-2020 cycle thread be posted soon or will it remain here? I know I'm probably early but I really want some perspective from the URM fam early especially if you were successful during the 2018-2019 (CONGRATS, PROUD OF YOU ALL!) or currently a med student on my chances/schools to include (already prepared a list)/minimum MCAT to shoot for realistically speaking because it will impact my overall trajectory. I'll provide as much context as I can for perspective (THANKS IN ADVANCE):

*Black Female, 22
GPA (cGPA/sGPA): 3.89/3.86
Major: Microbiology
CC GPA: 3.90
MCAT: Testing in May (So help me God, been a struggle preparing for it thus far smh)
Nontraditional: YES IN EVERY ASPECT OF THE WORD (cc transfer, liberal arts background, graduated a semester late, etc...)
Research: None aside from liberal arts/humanities-based research and school-based micro bio projects
Healthcare Experience: Volunteer health advocate at charity medical clinic targeting inner-city underserved populations, geriatric healthcare intern/volunteer, doctor shadowing
Aspirations in Medicine: I'm open but really interested in primary care (underserved/rural/minority communities)
Med School Qualities: Mostly patient-oriented since I lack science research, URM-friendly, DACA-friendly, and hopefully places that offer great scholarships (prefer schools I'm best suited for over prestige/ivy league)
Interesting Facts: afro-indigenous, writer, music enthusiast

*Won't be working w/ my pre-med committee (discriminated against by the director :()

Last edited:
The first June date available so that you are ready/complete by the second week in July (assuming you submit without waiting for your score to come back).

Hey everyone!

Had NO clue this forum existed lol. Love the support here! See some familiar faces from Reddit lol. Will the 2019-2020 cycle thread be posted soon or will it remain here? I know I'm probably early but I really want some perspective from the URM fam early especially if you were successful during the 2018-2019 (CONGRATS, PROUD OF YOU ALL!) or currently a med student on my chances/schools to include (already prepared a list)/minimum MCAT to shoot for realistically speaking because it will impact my overall trajectory. I'll provide as much context as I can for perspective (THANKS IN ADVANCE):

*Black Female, 22
MCAT: Testing in May (So help me God, been a struggle preparing for it thus far smh)
Nontraditional: YES IN EVERY ASPECT OF THE WORD (cc transfer, liberal arts background, graduated a semester late, etc...)
Research: None aside from liberal arts/humanities-based research and school-based micro bio projects
Healthcare Experience: Volunteer health advocate at charity medical clinic targeting inner-city underserved populations, geriatric healthcare intern/volunteer, doctor shadowing
Aspirations in Medicine: I'm open but really interested in primary care (underserved/rural/minority communities)
Med School Qualities: Mostly patient-oriented since I lack science research, URM-friendly, DACA-friendly, and hopefully places that offer great scholarships (prefer schools I'm best suited for over prestige/ivy league)

*Won't be working w/ my pre-med committee (discriminated against by the director :()
So you will not be seeking a committee letter?

Kill your Personal Statement, of course shoot for a 510+ and if you fall upon a ~506 you're fine (I'm sure lower will get you in as well, but shoot for the stars to avoid complacency and ensure options), and do NOT sell yourself short on the "higher tier" "meet full-need" type schools (apply!) because money matters.

Hey everyone!

*Black Female, 22

I just made the thread for next cycle :) ***2019-2020 URM Medical School Application Thread***

Your GPAs are great! Not sure if you're non-trad if you went straight from HS to college, but maybe if you did a post bac or had some time off. How are your clincal and non clinical hours?

So you will not be seeking a committee letter?

Kill your Personal Statement, of course shoot for a 510+ and if you fall upon a ~506 you're fine (I'm sure lower will get you in as well, but shoot for the stars to avoid complacency and ensure options), and do NOT sell yourself short on the "higher tier" "meet full-need" type schools (apply!) because money matters.

Thank you so much for your response!

Yes, I went to a Big10 school with a highly selective committee that has a tortorous screening process. My encounters with this individual have not been great so it is in my best interest to not go where I am not wanted/valued. Colleagues warned me, but I wanted to see for myself. Learned the hard way that the rumors were in fact true.

I will definitely take your advice! I'll include more of those kinds of schools to the list and work towards those MCAT scores.

One Love:soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just made the thread for next cycle :) ***2019-2020 URM Medical School Application Thread***

Your GPAs are great! Not sure if you're non-trad if you went straight from HS to college, but maybe if you did a post bac or had some time off. How are your clincal and non clinical hours?

Thanks for your response!

Woohoo! Bless your heart, thanks for the thread! Thanks for letting me know. Transferred a semester late than I should have.
Clinical Hours/Non-clinical Hours: ~1000s and counting/~1200s

Last edited:
Thanks for your response!

Woohoo! Bless your heart, thanks for the thread! Thanks for letting me know. Transferred a semester late than I should have.
Clinical Hours/Non-clinical Hours: ~1000s and counting/~1200s

Your path doesn't sound like it deviates much from a traditional one, but either way, I don't think it'll have an impact on your app.

Your hours look great!

I have some questions y'all. I'm waiting post II at my top choice (a SUNY school). They emailed me post interview saying a final decision hasn't been made on my application. No official wait list yet, although I'm guessing that its coming in April, unless they accept me first. I feel as if throughout my secondary essays I made it clear how I'm a good fit for the school. I have been working the same gap year job and doing the same volunteering. Should I write a Letter of Intent? I feel as if I don't have new information to add, besides say that its my top school and I would go there for sure. I grew up in the same city, went to college in the same city, so I'm sure they already suspect that. Advice please!

I have some questions y'all. I'm waiting post II at my top choice (a SUNY school). They emailed me post interview saying a final decision hasn't been made on my application. No official wait list yet, although I'm guessing that its coming in April, unless they accept me first. I feel as if throughout my secondary essays I made it clear how I'm a good fit for the school. I have been working the same gap year job and doing the same volunteering. Should I write a Letter of Intent? I feel as if I don't have new information to add, besides say that its my top school and I would go there for sure. I grew up in the same city, went to college in the same city, so I'm sure they already suspect that. Advice please!

Can't hurt (unless they specifically said they don't accept updates of any kind). I say go for it.

Should I even bother applying to UCLA DG this upcoming cycle? My GPA is fine but my MCAT is a bit below their new hard cutoff. Idk if they adjust their cutoffs for URM/disadvantaged students. Luckily I do have 20 free apps due to the FAP

Should I even bother applying to UCLA DG this upcoming cycle? My GPA is fine but my MCAT is a bit below their new hard cutoff. Idk if they adjust their cutoffs for URM/disadvantaged students. Luckily I do have 20 free apps due to the FAP
Whoah, they increased it to 20? :eek:

What is DG’s MCAT cutoff?

Gotcha, thanks! Where do you find things like that? Do you call the admissions office and ask?

They don't actually say anything about it. The cut-off was leaked in a newsletter due to a group of med students that wanted to make a proposal against it

Hello everyone! I'm (sort of) a re-applicant, and I will be participating in the 2019-20 application cycle. I wanted to get some feedback from you guys as it relates to my likely competitiveness. All comments and suggestions are welcome. Below, I have provided a brief overview of my applicant profile:

*African-American female*
cGPA: 3.70
sGPA: 3.61
graduate GPA: 4.0 (ethics and applied philosophy)
MCAT: 497, 503, TBD (I will be re-taking on 4/13 and my most recent practice exams predict a score of 510-511)
Research: 250 hours (organic chemistry, type II diabetes study involving at-risk African-American adults)
Teaching/tutoring: 120 hours (organic chemistry, anatomy & physiology)
Community service/volunteer: ~ 100 hours (ambulatory surgery unit, LGBTQ+ youth center)
Paid employment: [since May 2016] 3300 hours (grocery store, recreational facility)
Physician shadowing: ~ 50 hours (orthopedics, family medicine, pediatrics, emergency medicine, internal medicine, med/peds)
Other: ~ 400 hours (CDA, University of Michigan Medical School), ~ 400 hours (SMDEP, Duke University School of Medicine)
Extracurriculars/hobbies: playing basketball, writing poetry, AMSA/MAPS
Future interests: pediatric orthopedics, general surgery

I recognize that taking the MCAT three times may pose as a potential weakness in my application, but I also feel as though it indicates perseverance on my part. In addition, I was told by the few medical schools to which I applied last cycle that my score constituted one of the only deficiencies in my application.

I am hoping to attend a top 20 school, but I also can't say that I'm too picky (especially given my previous MCAT scores). Where do you guys think I should start, in terms of devising a preliminary school list? Thanks!

Last edited:
I’m a black male URM, 23, sGPA 2.1 cGPA 2.5 with a mcat of 483 I’m retaking again to hopefully get atleast a 500. I know I’m not perfect and I’m hoping that my my personal statement is good and the lots of volunteering I have helps. I recently am also being accepted into a 1 year Masters program that’s a SMP. With all this I hope to also get a 3.5 or above in that....

I’m a black male URM, 23, sGPA 2.1 cGPA 2.5 with a mcat of 483 I’m retaking again to hopefully get atleast a 500. I know I’m not perfect and I’m hoping that my my personal statement is good and the lots of volunteering I have helps. I recently am also being accepted into a 1 year Masters program that’s a SMP. With all this I hope to also get a 3.5 or above in that....

If you do well in your SMP and your MCAT retake you’ll have a shot!

I would aim for higher than a 500 to be safe. Are you planning to apply this upcoming cycle or after you've finished your SMP? I wouldn't rush trying to apply until you've finished your SMP. Like right now focus on doing really well in the SMP.

I would also look over this if you haven't. Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Good luck.

I could use some advice.
I'm suffering from serious imposter syndrome going into my interviews.
I have bad stats and didn't do an SMP or post bacc (3.2 C, 2.96 S, 509) and while I'm OVER THE MOON to have any interviews at all, I'm having the hardest time getting out of my head over it. It feels like I don't deserve it/ only even got a look because I'm black cause if I had been ORM I doubt I would have gotten any love this cycle without post bacc work/ an SMP.
Any suggestions for how I can get over myself/ psych myself up to present my best self for these interviews? Also, any advice on explaining poor grades?
I believe I’ll have similar stats to you by the time I apply next cycle. How did your cycle end up going for you? Were you accepted? If so, at what schools?

Do you mind sharing where you were accepted? I have similar stats to you and would like to know!
Yes I was recently accepted into Case Western’s Masters of Physiology and Western University Masters of medical science class. I hear both are great but I’m going with Westerns because it has had almost 100% in getting most of its graduates to medical school and it’s cheaper than case

is this jefferson if you don’t mind me asking? i’m super familiar with the school (lived in philly and i love it a lot) but that’s also the one thing that’s stopping me from choosing to go there as welll
Lol i went to philly for grad school. They’re real shady with accepting URMs. It almost makes me wonder the point of their SNMA

Lol i went to philly for grad school. They’re real shady with accepting URMs. It almost makes me wonder the point of their SNMA
Thier SNMA reception was popping lol

Do you mind sharing where you were accepted? I have similar stats to you and would like to know!

Yeah sorry I didn't see this! It was my state school, trying to stay anonymous but I'm from the Midwest :) I'm also on the waitlist for Miami and really hoping to get in there as I loved the school.

Yeah sorry I didn't see this! It was my state school, trying to stay anonymous but I'm from the Midwest :) I'm also on the waitlist for Miami and really hoping to get in there as I loved the school.
PMd you!

Just wanted to drop my testimonial for anyone who cares:
Applied with a cGPA of ~3.3 and have so far been accepted to 3 out of 4 schools I interviewed at (still WL for the 4th). Out of those 3, 2 offered me generous scholarships. I'm now in a position where I'm actually getting to choose where I end up.
If you scroll through my post history, you'll see that I spent years scrambling to figure out if I even had a chance with my stats. It took me a while to build up the courage to even apply, and though it's been a nerve-wracking experience, I wound up more successful than I could have ever dreamed.

So +1 for a URM with a low GPA who got into multiple US MD schools with scholarship offers. It's not easy, but it's possible.

Reactions: 5 users
Just wanted to drop my testimonial for anyone who cares:
Applied with a cGPA of ~3.3 and have so far been accepted to 3 out of 4 schools I interviewed at (still WL for the 4th). Out of those 3, 2 offered me generous scholarships. I'm now in a position where I'm actually getting to choose where I end up.
If you scroll through my post history, you'll see that I spent years scrambling to figure out if I even had a chance with my stats. It took me a while to build up the courage to even apply, and though it's been a nerve-wracking experience, I wound up more successful than I could have ever dreamed.

So +1 for a URM with a low GPA who got into multiple US MD schools with scholarship offers. It's not easy, but it's possible.
I have similar stats and I’m applying next cycle, can I PM you?

Just curious if there are any URM applicants in recent cycles with high GPA/low MCAT stats who don't mind sharing where they were successful at? Or at least what they think helped them gain admissions?

Just curious if there are any URM applicants in recent cycles with high GPA/low MCAT stats who don't mind sharing where they were successful at? Or at least what they think helped them gain admissions?
What is your definition of a low MCAT?

If you’re a 500 and up: Wayne State (my school), Central Mich, MCW, Ohio State, Wright State, Meharry, Morehouse, Howard, NYMC, Albany Med, UBuffalo, Indiana University, Seton Hall, Tulane (make sure you apply ASAP as all interviews are given out by August), and Cooper Med for NJ residents. There may be more, but these are the ones that I personally know have accepted people with lower MCATs. Please bear in mind that in order to offset your MCAT, you need to show exemplary commitment towards aiding the underserved. Volunteering with the homeless community or disadvantaged youth will take care of that nicely

If you’re a 500 and up: Wayne State (my school), Central Mich, MCW, Ohio State, Wright State, Meharry, Morehouse, Howard, NYMC, Albany Med, UBuffalo, Indiana University, Seton Hall, Tulane (make sure you apply ASAP as all interviews are given out by August), and Cooper Med for NJ residents. There may be more, but these are the ones that I personally know have accepted people with lower MCATs. Please bear in mind that in order to offset your MCAT, you need to show exemplary commitment towards aiding the underserved. Volunteering with the homeless community or disadvantaged youth will take care of that nicely
Thanks for your reply as well as the heads up. Hopefully this is not my scenario (waiting on the results soon), but I just wanted to know what things would look like in my worst case scenario lol.

Last edited:
I'm interested in Yale too. Hopefully we both get an interview!

Wow. This is totally full circle. I posted that last April and can't believe I will actually be attending my dream school. I hope all of you have had the same success!

Reactions: 9 users
Anybody recieve scholarships to schools they gotten into?

Are schalarships given after you intend to matriculate(enroll)?
Nope, not necessarily. Depending on the type of scholarship it is. Need vs Merit based. You can get it anytime between when you're first accepted to when you decide to enroll. For example, I received one of my merit scholarships when I first was accepted; other a few weeks/months afterwards, after I had turned in the CSS profile or other financial advisor info.