You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
***2018-2019 URM Medical School Application Thread***
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Has anyone received acceptance from Rosalind, Meharry, or Medical College of WI. I am going to miss second look day but the only thing I would be looking for would be other URMs. Good luck to those still anxiously waiting. Still in disbelief this happened for me!
I have gone down the rabbit hole of reading some strongly worded threads against affirmative action, claiming race should have no role in this process, and even anecdotes of people saying that they know of people who selected a different race for the purpose of increasing chance of admissions. While this has all made me very angry, it is not worth the time to comment and try to convince the ignorant otherwise. Just wanted to I am thankful this thread exists! It has helped immensely to have a group of uplifting people throughout a process that does nothing but wear your down mentally.
Hope this stays afloat in the coming years. Hope everyone is having a great cycle!!
Several years ago this sub board was also my oasis when URM “debate” was still common on the main forums (we now try to quash those discussions immediately because they only serve as a place for a vocal minority to spew pseudo intellectual babble and dogwhistles).
It does wear on u, but just remember that thankfully ppl on the internet are not reflective of real life
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anybody got advice on how to kill a late interview on your top choice?
Refresh yourself on your app details. Do some research on the school so u have thoughtful questions and most importantly be confident, you deserve it as much as the first person they interviewed
Applying MD-PhD this upcoming cycle (after about 3 years of saying I'm going to apply lmao)! I'll be applying from abroad so it's about to be a mess, but I'm excited to finally be embarking on this journey with y'all. Also, congratulations and good luck to everyone applying this cycle, you all are crushing it!
Applying MD-PhD this upcoming cycle (after about 3 years of saying I'm going to apply lmao)! I'll be applying from abroad so it's about to be a mess, but I'm excited to finally be embarking on this journey with y'all. Also, congratulations and good luck to everyone applying this cycle, you all are crushing it!
Lol, I love Cardi's tenacity. Good luck to you. Met a few people applying from abroad. It's tough.
I recommend looking at the University of Washington's interview page. If you can answer all of those questions well, you have a great shot at articulating a response to any challenging question.Anybody got advice on how to kill a late interview on your top choice?
Think about your ECs and how they have helped shape you and your desires to serve. Remember challenges you may have mentioned in your application and how you've grown from them. Always put a silver lining on past downfalls.
Good luck and report back!
Has anyone received acceptance from Rosalind, Meharry, or Medical College of WI. I am going to miss second look day but the only thing I would be looking for would be other URMs. Good luck to those still anxiously waiting. Still in disbelief this happened for me!
Yep I have been accepted to MCW! I also attend a post bacc where many students choose to attend there. Very homegenous but there is still a decent amount of URM.
Funions2345
Full Member
Applying MD-PhD this upcoming cycle (after about 3 years of saying I'm going to apply lmao)! I'll be applying from abroad so it's about to be a mess, but I'm excited to finally be embarking on this journey with y'all. Also, congratulations and good luck to everyone applying this cycle, you all are crushing it!
HMU if u want any app/list help
Applying MD-PhD this upcoming cycle (after about 3 years of saying I'm going to apply lmao)! I'll be applying from abroad so it's about to be a mess, but I'm excited to finally be embarking on this journey with y'all. Also, congratulations and good luck to everyone applying this cycle, you all are crushing it!
Also planning on applying MD-PhD this upcoming cycle. Feels like there's almost no other URM's, especially women, so excited to see another! And of course good luck to everyone!
Good luck to you both 🙂 I'm also a woman and I've had a pretty successful cycle. Feel free to PM with any questions.Also planning on applying MD-PhD this upcoming cycle. Feels like there's almost no other URM's, especially women, so excited to see another! And of course good luck to everyone!
Oh yay!! I really thought I'd be the only URM woman applying MD-PhD haha, glad to see there's at least one more on SDN 🙂Also planning on applying MD-PhD this upcoming cycle. Feels like there's almost no other URM's, especially women, so excited to see another! And of course good luck to everyone!
@PursuingHappy @Lucca Thank you! I've been following your amazingly successful cycles, so I'll definitely PM y'all soon for list and app advice
your AVI! Lmfao I love it 🤣Oh yay!! I really thought I'd be the only URM woman applying MD-PhD haha, glad to see there's at least one more on SDN 🙂
@PursuingHappy @Lucca Thank you! I've been following your amazingly successful cycles, so I'll definitely PM y'all soon for list and app advice
Yep I have been accepted to MCW! I also attend a post bacc where many students choose to attend there. Very homegenous but there is still a decent amount of URM.
Are you doing the post bac at MCW or at a place where many graduates go there? Congrats on getting in. I saw a few URM at interviews so I was praying to black baby jesus that we all made it. 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you doing the post bac at MCW or at a place where many graduates go there? Congrats on getting in. I saw a few URM at interviews so I was praying to black baby jesus that we all made it. 🙂
No I’m doing the post bacc at a different school but many of our graduates go there. Thank you! Congrats to you as well!
Anybody on here interview at SUNY Downstate with a lizzyM <70? If so, what was your experience like?
TIA
Interviewed last week with a LizzyM of 60(I think). Overall, it went pretty well. While there was a ton of questions about stats, it felt more like genuine curiosity rather than a grilling. That being said, it probably depends on your interviewer. Mine was pretty laid back.
Interviewed last week with a LizzyM of 60(I think). Overall, it went pretty well. While there was a ton of questions about stats, it felt more like genuine curiosity rather than a grilling. That being said, it probably depends on your interviewer. Mine was pretty laid back.
I am a very similar applicant to you on paper (LizzyM, AA male, NYS)... and applied to almost all of the same schools lol. Congrats on the A. May I ask what schools gave you interviews and accepted you?
I am a very similar applicant to you on paper (LizzyM, AA male, NYS)... and applied to almost all of the same schools lol. Congrats on the A. May I ask what schools gave you interviews and accepted you?
GCSOM, Loyola, Howard, SUNY Downstate & Buffalo. My A is from GCSOM.
GCSOM, Loyola, Howard, SUNY Downstate & Buffalo. My A is from GCSOM.
Congrats on your acceptance!
How do you feel about gcsoms’ location ?GCSOM, Loyola, Howard, SUNY Downstate & Buffalo. My A is from GCSOM.
Me too.Will be applying this upcoming cycle. Wish me luck
How do you feel about gcsoms’ location ?
I actually did my master's degree at GCSOM so I'm sort of used to Scranton now. But when I first went there It was a pretty big culture shock due to how small it was.
Yeah, that is a concern. 12 II tho, you goodIdk how I forgot about this thread! Anyone worried about going to a less racially diverse school located in a town/city that also lacks racial diversity?
I’m realizing no school feels “perfect”[emoji30]
12 II, 2 As so far
Idk how I forgot about this thread! Anyone worried about going to a less racially diverse school located in a town/city that also lacks racial diversity?
I’m realizing no school feels “perfect”[emoji30]
12 II, 2 As so far
I mean I'd prefer as much diversity as possible but as long as, it's not like a place where there's like a handful of PoC in the whole state or something, I think I'd be able to deal with it. But, I've had to deal with the whole "being the only black guy" thing frequently in life.
Also, yeah, with 12 IIs I'm betting a few more As will be arriving soon.Yeah, that is a concern. 12 II tho, you good
Idk how I forgot about this thread! Anyone worried about going to a less racially diverse school located in a town/city that also lacks racial diversity?
I’m realizing no school feels “perfect”[emoji30]
12 II, 2 As so far
I was only worried about that for one school. I ended up turning the interview down after much thought.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For me its more of location then the amount of diversity for the schools I have IIs to. I just want to be in a place I'll enjoy living in.
Exactly, I feel you on this heavily.
yeah the school that I'm leaning towards to has basically no diversity and that's what's making me hesitant
How do you like the city it is in?
I feel exactly in the same positon, but also I realized no matter where I go i wont necessarily feel satisfied. So I basically realized that to me its whether there is great unity among those of color at the school in partnership with the office of diversity and whether the city is itself diverse.yeah the school that I'm leaning towards to has basically no diversity and that's what's making me hesitant
My top choice of my current acceptances had 5 black students in its M1 class last year, out of roughly 200... on the other hand, it’s in one of the most diverse cities in the country. Kinda makes me wonder if they have issues with attracting and recruiting/accepting black students.
Last edited:
the city is also predominantly white according to my dad but we’ll see when i get there i guess but it’s close to an extremely diverse cityHow do you like the city it is in?
i 100% feel that like even though i’ve been almost always the only black girl in my classes all my life i had some wishful thought that things would be different in medical school. i did do some research and it does seem like the PoC at this school are pretty tight so hopefully it will be that way for my class but so far it feels like i’m the only urm to outwardly say that they’ve been accepted to this school so it’s kinda lonely right now lolI feel exactly in the same positon, but also I realized no matter where I go i wont necessarily feel satisfied. So I basically realized that to me its whether there is great unity among those of color at the school in partnership with the office of diversity and whether the city is itself diverse.
is this jefferson if you don’t mind me asking? i’m super familiar with the school (lived in philly and i love it a lot) but that’s also the one thing that’s stopping me from choosing to go there as welllMy top choice of my current acceptances had 5 black students in its M1 class last year, out of roughly 200... on the other hand, it’s in one of the most diverse cities in the country. Kinda makes me wonder if they have issues with attracting and recruiting/accepting black students.
Lol DM me because it may the same school. Also grew up being only POC basically my entire existence. Trying to avoid being that token minority again in medical school.i 100% feel that like even though i’ve been almost always the only black girl in my classes all my life i had some wishful thought that things would be different in medical school. i did do some research and it does seem like the PoC at this school are pretty tight so hopefully it will be that way for my class but so far it feels like i’m the only urm to outwardly say that they’ve been accepted to this school so it’s kinda lonely right now lol
Nah it's a TX school. One of my top choices is in Philly (UPenn) though and they don't seem to have issues with recruiting black/minorities.is this jefferson if you don’t mind me asking? i’m super familiar with the school (lived in philly and i love it a lot) but that’s also the one thing that’s stopping me from choosing to go there as welll
Last edited:
There were probably more POC/minority applicants at my Penn interview than I had seen from many of the top 20 schools that I had interviewed at. It was pretty cool honestly.Nah it's a TX school. My top top choice is in Philly (UPenn) though and they don't seem to have issues with recruiting minorities.
There were probably more POC/minority applicants at my Penn interview than I had seen from many of the top 20 schools that I had interviewed at. It was pretty cool honestly.
That’s dope!
At my Davis interview you’d swear it was POC day. I was pleasantly surprised.
Haven't heard from a school 4 + months since my interview... Should I reach out to them? Is this a good time to send a letter of intent and interest (combined into one letter)?
I feel this post so much. It honestly just gets tiring.Lol DM me because it may the same school. Also grew up being only POC basically my entire existence. Trying to avoid being that token minority again in medical school.
I feel this post so much. It honestly just gets tiring.
Personally, I grew up in a similar situation, but it hasn't really bothered me. While I understand the importance of diversity, its not high on my list of reasons to choose a school. I feel like this has also allowed me to thrive in any environment regardless of the demographic.
For all my curvy ladies, what are you wearing to interviews?
I decided to do a pant suit but I don’t want to look too curvy. I’m leaning more towards a wide legged pant to take away attention from my hips but any suggestions? My interview is coming up this week.
I have seen a lot of women wearing suit pants that are tight around the calf (skinny leg suit pants I guess you could so), but this is not considered the most formal style, so I wear straight leg pants. Got my suit from JCrew and they did a pretty good job of tailoring it to my curves. I would say the most important thing is to find a suit that fits well. You may not feel like it is the best look on you, but as long as it fits well and is well tailored then that's all that matters.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel this post so much. It honestly just gets tiring.
Yes. EXHAUSTING. I have attended PWIs forever and this has me leaning toward attending an HBCU for med school, but . . . location, location, location may take higher priority for me.
Yoooo status update: 1A! 2 WL, 1 pending, 1 II scheduled. Still grinding outchea
Yasssssss. That's exciting. I'm glad you go your A and you'll likely have more!
Woop Woop!Yoooo status update: 1A! 2 WL, 1 pending, 1 II scheduled. Still grinding outchea
Aye!Yoooo status update: 1A! 2 WL, 1 pending, 1 II scheduled. Still grinding outchea
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 73
- Views
- 22K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 328
- Replies
- 92
- Views
- 36K