2018 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all, I sent my response to the email @ 5:00 EST and received my doodlepoll invite at 7:25 EST..if that helps anyone! Everyone best of luck on your interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I sent my email response at around 4:48, so that means it was after 5pm east coast time. I'm just gonna assume that I'll get an email tomorrow once they are back in the office. Not sure what tie you sent your response but that could be a factor.
Yeah, I sent a response and got the doodle shortly thereafter. Thank you!

My Doodle invite was in my spam folder. Check there if you haven’t seen anything yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone during your interviews!

Does anyone know what the past breakdowns are for the numbers of applicants who made it to each phase? I know I've seen it on one of these forums and can't seem to find it again.

I got email for interview too woohoo! Now just have to get through this interview- such stressful process. I wish everyone a good luck!

Hello, lurker here.
i have a question for everyone here. So I already submitted my intent to enroll for an MPH school I got into, but I do want to participate in PHAP if I get in (got the interview too, congrats everyone else getting interviews). So if I "get into" the program, should I just tell the school that I want to participate in the program and either defer for two years (if its possible) or possibly re-apply again?

Hello, lurker here.
i have a question for everyone here. So I already submitted my intent to enroll for an MPH school I got into, but I do want to participate in PHAP if I get in (got the interview too, congrats everyone else getting interviews). So if I "get into" the program, should I just tell the school that I want to participate in the program and either defer for two years (if its possible) or possibly re-apply again?

More than likely they will tell you to reapply once you have finished your degree and to log in and withdraw your application.

Hello, lurker here.

I would talk to the program to see if they would let you defer. I had a friend who is about to complete her PHAP commitment and she was allowed to deferred her MPH at the University of Minnesota for two year until her PHAP commitment was completed. Just talk with the school.

I would talk to the program to see if they would let you defer. I had a friend who is about to complete her PHAP commitment and she was allowed to deferred her MPH at the University of Minnesota for two year until her PHAP commitment was completed. Just talk with the school.
I agree with ddbowens, but for a different reason. Whether your program will allow you to defer all depends on the program's policies and how competitive it is. My MPH program wouldn't let me defer at all because of how competitive it is. If I decided to do another program, such as PHAP, I would have had to reapply and there was no guarantee that I would've gotten in the seconds time. In fact, I probably wouldn't have because they changed the program and entry requirements dramatically in my second year for incoming first year students. So I would absolutely talk to your program about it and then decide from there.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone who received an interview! My interview is this week! If you have done your interview, how did you prepare? Or how are you preparing if you have not had yours yet?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone who received an interview! My interview is this week! If you have done your interview, how did you prepare? Or how are you preparing if you have not had yours yet?
All the best! My interview is on May 2nd, haven’t prepped yet. My professor suggested I sip a glass of wine before the interview to calm my nerves haha. I don’t think that’s a great idea though for me lol.
Who’s your interviewer? Let us know how it goes ☺️

I had my interview yesterday. It went pretty well. There are 6 questions and a scenario where you have to come up with something on the fly. It was pretty easy, and the guy I interviewed with was fun (he had a cat wandering around in the background, and that just made me happy). I prepared by going over basic interview questions and reviewing the PHAP website to remind myself of what they're looking for. So, I'd say to go back and really have some stories ready for your basic interview questions - behavioral style questions, and you should be fine. Good luck everyone! My interviewer said they'll start sending out selection notifications in mid-July, and we should either receive a phone call or an email, and that's when they'll tell us about our site, too.

Reactions: 1 users
So I had my interview too. Really cool guy and very smart. There is about 6 questions and then you ask anything you’d like. The questions were pretty in depth. A general question and then back up questions to support it. That last question kinda got me; Very weird scenario question. I think they just want to see how you think and analyze situations though.

Finished my interview about 15 minutes ago. Extremely sweet lady, the questions are pretty general interview questions. Also, my interview did not last the full 40 minutes. There are 6 questions and 1 very odd scenario type question, and there is no possible way that you could prepare for it. At the end of it all, I feel as though I was panicking for no reason, lol. Good luck to all who still haven't interviewed yet. :)

Ok, perhaps a silly question, but is anyone else who's interviewed sending thank you emails afterwards? I'm so used to doing a normal job search, that it seems uncomfortable to not send one, but then again, we don't have a direct email address to our interviewers. Thoughts? It just seems polite, but I don't know if they would forward the messages on to the right person if we send them to the PHAP email address.

Hey, Im in the final stage of the PHAP process. I was wondering, If i get offered the position and i deny it. Can I reapply next year?

Hey, Im in the final stage of the PHAP process. I was wondering, If i get offered the position and i deny it. Can I reapply next year?

Yes, If you are a recent graduate within a year of the next application deadline. I got accepted last year before my last semester of graduate school and I decline it to finish my degree and I reapplied this year and have my interview April 30th.

Just a heads up, this year is more competitive . The number of host sites are lower than previous and so that also means number of associates will be very much decreased. This is the info I got from my interview.

However, don't think that you aren't great if you don't get a position. It will also depend on the actual host sites that apply every year. For example, maybe you showed interest in HIV, but there were only a handful of HIV programs, and perhaps non in your preferred regions. I think everyone who gets to the interview stage, as long as you didn't completely botch the interview, would all be great candidates if everyone had an office, region, and PH field match up.

Just a heads up, this year is more competitive . The number of host sites are lower than previous and so that also means number of associates will be very much decreased. This is the info I got from my interview.

However, don't think that you aren't great if you don't get a position. It will also depend on the actual host sites that apply every year. For example, maybe you showed interest in HIV, but there were only a handful of HIV programs, and perhaps non in your preferred regions. I think everyone who gets to the interview stage, as long as you didn't completely botch the interview, would all be great candidates if everyone had an office, region, and PH field match up.

I heard that this year there will be about 100-130 associates.

I asked my interviewer how many positions they needed to fill and she said she didn't know, but at least 100 :/

Hey all, North Carolina 2017 PHAP here...

Reach out if you have any questions and I will try to help. This application process is a long one, if you feel anxious don't worry, I did too... this forum saved me lol.

I saw someone mention above that they don't have direct public health experience.. and that is perfectly fine. Many of us don't, they are looking for entry level recent graduates so they don't expect you to have ph experience. I myself was a double in anthropology and communication, I then worked as a contractor for the EPA for a year. I was sure to highlight my volunteer experience and my any positive work experience in my personal statement and in my interview.

The time between the interviews and getting the call is the toughest part. Last year the first wave of notifications went out in the middle of July.

Best of luck all!!!

Was anyone's interviewer late? It is 11:09 my time (Texas) my interview is scheduled for 12. Which means that it is 12:09 eastern time now. Getting a little nervous, I also have the conference line going as well, just in case.

Was anyone's interviewer late? It is 11:09 my time (Texas) my interview is scheduled for 12. Which means that it is 12:09 eastern time now. Getting a little nervous, I also have the conference line going as well, just in case.
Did the time say 12 on Doodle, or did you do the conversion yourself? Whoever set up the Doodle poll didn't realize that Doodle automatically converts the times to your timezone. I had a feeling that this was the case for my interview. Mine was at 1:00pm and I'm on the West Coast. I set aside some time at 10:00 my time, and at 1:00 my time, and sure enough, the interview was at 1:00 my time, 4:00pm East Coast time. Go by the Doodle time, don't do the conversion.

Did the time say 12 on Doodle, or did you do the conversion yourself? Whoever set up the Doodle poll didn't realize that Doodle automatically converts the times to your timezone. I had a feeling that this was the case for my interview. Mine was at 1:00pm and I'm on the West Coast. I set aside some time at 10:00 my time, and at 1:00 my time, and sure enough, the interview was at 1:00 my time, 4:00pm East Coast time. Go by the Doodle time, don't do the conversion.

Ohhhhh okay, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much for that. I was sitting here waiting like a nervous wreck. I appreciate your response so much!!!!

The same thing happened to me! I was a nervous wreck waiting for the call. I called the help desk number they included in one of their emails and I still don't think they understand their error.

The same thing happened to me! I was a nervous wreck waiting for the call. I called the help desk number they included in one of their emails and I still don't think they understand their error.
Hahaha! It doesn't surprise me at all that they still don't understand the mistake. I think the only way they will get it is if someone sends in a screenshot of the 9am EST calls from the West Coast, since they show up as 6am here. I'm pretty sure rank and file CDC employees aren't conducting interviews at 6 in the morning.

Also, I hope no one on the West Coast signed up for 6am interviews thinking they would be at 3am! If you did, plan to sleep in a few hours later, folks!

Last edited:
I've just finished my interview...I was so nervous! To anyone who is still waiting for their's, all the best and stay calm!

I was so nervous omg- but I did smile the whole time. My interviewer was so nice. How would you even prepare for the scenario question. now I have 3 in person interviews with federal government next week. I hope I land at least one

Were any of you asked about preference of being placed in Alaska, Hawaii, or the US Teritories?

Were any of you asked about preference of being placed in Alaska, Hawaii, or the US Teritories?
I was asked that too. I told her I’d be happy to go to Guam or wherever in the US if accepted. But yeah my nerves I think got the best of me. Behavioral interviews are tough than traditional ones.

I was asked this, too. The guy said this was more for their information, and we aren't being scored on it. My understanding is that since these places are pretty remote, it takes a certain type of person who's comfortable going there and living in remote environments. They'll probably only send folks there who are comfortable with that. I've done a ton of traveling, and have lived in 2 other countries, so I told them I'd be happy to go to any of them (*cough* secretly hoping for Hawaii! *cough*).

Does anyone know if it is possible at this point in the process to make any changes to the order of your top three regions? I've had a change in circumstances and wanted to know if anyone's tried to do this.

Does anyone know if it is possible at this point in the process to make any changes to the order of your top three regions? I've had a change in circumstances and wanted to know if anyone's tried to do this.

Hi!
In the thread from last year that question was asked as well and someone stated that their interviewer told them no.

Anxiously waiting to hear back! I had my Skype interview in the first week of May, and it was the same as many others have described it. 6 behavioral questions. As far as the additional question about being all right with an assignment in a rural area goes, I personally said I would be okay with it. I don't think saying no would necessarily lower your odds of an offer, however this would make it more likely to receive an assignment.

I have just graduated this month with a MHA and am very much looking forward to hearing back in mid-July to August!
I am also still applying to other fellowships and job opportunities, just to keep my options open. Although, I am being mindful to committing to something, if I would be likely to accept a position in the PHAP program. As of now, this is certainly my first choice, due to the opportunities for professional advancement.

Best of luck to us all, with whatever we may end up doing next!

Hi everyone!

I'm a former PHAP (2016 cohort, but I left the program early to accept a permanent position at my host site), and I wanted to just introduce myself to you all. My host site, Denver Public Health, found out a few weeks ago that we will be receiving a new associate--yay! CDC matching process takes awhile, and the earliest offers will start going out at the very end of May (maybe the last week), but will really get going in June. (That is, if the timeline is anything like mine was--we also had the latest offers going out in late August!)

To all of you, I'm happy to be a resource for questions you may have about the process moving forward (but y'all already got through some of the hardest parts!).

To whomever gets assigned to Denver Public Health, please feel free to reach out to me!! I'm happy to provide info about DPH and the position (the PHAP here will be working on Immunizations and Community Health, broadly). And I also know that I will be a "buddy"/informal mentor for the PHAP assigned here, so I am looking forward to it! :)

Rachel

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone!

I'm a former PHAP (2016 cohort, but I left the program early to accept a permanent position at my host site), and I wanted to just introduce myself to you all. My host site, Denver Public Health, found out a few weeks ago that we will be receiving a new associate--yay! CDC matching process takes awhile, and the earliest offers will start going out at the very end of May (maybe the last week), but will really get going in June. (That is, if the timeline is anything like mine was--we also had the latest offers going out in late August!)

To all of you, I'm happy to be a resource for questions you may have about the process moving forward (but y'all already got through some of the hardest parts!).

To whomever gets assigned to Denver Public Health, please feel free to reach out to me!! I'm happy to provide info about DPH and the position (the PHAP here will be working on Immunizations and Community Health, broadly). And I also know that I will be a "buddy"/informal mentor for the PHAP assigned here, so I am looking forward to it! :)

Rachel

Is that the timeline the CDC told your host site? Unfortunately I think the timeline has changed from your cohort.. in my interview I was told we'd hear back mid-July through August.

Wishing all the best for everyone! Personally this has been an anxious process. Hopefully the responses will be sent promptly in the next couple weeks!

Hi everyone! Anxiously waiting for responses here! But I also was wondering if anyone here has gone for their MPH and then considered med school post-MPH? I just finished undergrad and have been accepted into grad school already, and though public health is my passion I do have a strong desire to be a doctor still! So I was wondering if anyone has gone this route before? Or heard of anyone doing so?

Thanks in advance! And of course best of luck & hopefully we get replies back soon!!

Hi everyone! Anxiously waiting for responses here! But I also was wondering if anyone here has gone for their MPH and then considered med school post-MPH? I just finished undergrad and have been accepted into grad school already, and though public health is my passion I do have a strong desire to be a doctor still! So I was wondering if anyone has gone this route before? Or heard of anyone doing so?

Thanks in advance! And of course best of luck & hopefully we get replies back soon!!

I have my MPH but will not be going to med school. However, there are programs that are MD/MPH where you receive both degrees upon graduation. UPenn and Kentucky come to mind as having them, although I'm sure there are others. I've heard really good things about the dual degree programs.

Hey Dejah!

I have many colleagues have taken that route MPH to MD rather than doing the accelerated route as mentioned. What I've come to accept these past couple years in determining my purpose in healthcare is that everyone path is uniquely different. Don't admire someone else success and feel as if you are lagging behind. You have to do what works and what's right for you. If it is meant to happen, it will. I, for one, completed undergrad last year with a BS in Kinesiology. All these years, I've been leaning toward the direction of physical therapy school. The first time I applied during my final semester of senior year, I did not get in (0.1 shy of the minimum GPA requirement). This led me to take a gap year by default. Although that time allowed me to enhance my application and scores, I still was not 100% sure about it. I then decided to apply for an MPH as a plan B which many of my mentors have recommended. I too am at a cross roads. Should I complete an MPH then PT - dual degree - or get straight to it? Either of your choices will be a great decision. However, I'm sure you also believe that PHAP is a once in a lifetime opportunity and if accepted, we'll both have some time to figure that out. School will always be there.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Still waiting on a response!! Anybody know when they'll be getting back to us?

Hi! This is my first time posting but I’ve been following from the start.
I’m wondering who selected “no regional preference” and if anyone (current, past, or applicant) knows how placement works for us?

Hey everyone, I hope you all are doing ok. I just wanted to let you all know that I did reach out to PHAP just to see if everything was on track as far as the timeline states and the lady let me know that everything is on track. So with that we should be hearing something soon! :)

Reactions: 4 users
I looked back at the 2017 thread and the first day that anyone heard about their placement was July 18th. That's still so far away!! :(

I looked back at the 2017 thread and the first day that anyone heard about their placement was July 18th. That's still so far away!! :(
2017 was a bad cycle. We had to deal with the change of new president... so there was a hiring freeze and then we had a budget cut so they had to rewrite proposed budget. Everything was late for that application.