2019-2020 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM-Utah)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I checked my portal and it says interview invite but I haven’t received an email or directions on how to schedule the interview.

Does anyone know what dates they have available? Do they take a few days to send the email?
There should be a link under the interview tab that allows you to schedule the interview and it will have multiple dates to pick from. I know some people applying to the Colorado campus never received an email. I was accepted to the Southern Utah campus and they said I would receive an acceptance email the next day, which I never did. So, not sure what's up with their system.

Members don't see this ad.

I checked my portal and it says interview invite but I haven’t received an email or directions on how to schedule the interview.

Does anyone know what dates they have available? Do they take a few days to send the email?

Hey congrats!! Do you mind sharing when you were complete?

There should be a link under the interview tab that allows you to schedule the interview and it will have multiple dates to pick from. I know some people applying to the Colorado campus never received an email. I was accepted to the Southern Utah campus and they said I would receive an acceptance email the next day, which I never did. So, not sure what's up with their system.
I got accepted to the Utah campus back in August. I still have never gotten an email from them either. I got a letter in the mail & the tab on the link updated to “accepted” with information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just turned down my acceptance offered here! Good luck everyone!

Just turned down my acceptance offered here! Good luck everyone!

If you don’t mind me asking, what made you decide to turn down this school? You can also DM me if you’d prefer.

I'm also curious, i'm debating between this school and ICOM but I am leaning more towards RVU.
I picked ICOM over RVU due to the fact that I did not like the St. George area. Also, I have found, after going through undergrad and grad school, that I benefit more from in person lectures where I can interact and form a relationship with the professors. RVU shares faculty with Colorado so half the lectures are live in Utah and the other half are broadcast to the school from Colorado. I know that wouldn't work for me and I don't want to set myself up for failure. It was all personal preference.

Reactions: 1 user
I picked ICOM over RVU due to the fact that I did not like the St. George area. Also, I have found, after going through undergrad and grad school, that I benefit more from in person lectures where I can interact and form a relationship with the professors. RVU shares faculty with Colorado so half the lectures are live in Utah and the other half are broadcast to the school from Colorado. I know that wouldn't work for me and I don't want to set myself up for failure. It was all personal preference.
Thanks for the feedback

My portal changed and now it only shows that I am an applicant to UT when I previously put no preference. Does this mean I am only being considered for Utah? If so that's good news actually since I prefer this area and wish I only applied Utah.

My portal changed and now it only shows that I am an applicant to UT when I previously put no preference. Does this mean I am only being considered for Utah? If so that's good news actually since I prefer this area and wish I only applied Utah.
This is what happened to me. After that switch, I received an II a few days after! This may only be a coincidence but this is what happened to me!

Reactions: 1 users

When were you complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what happened to me. After that switch, I received an II a few days after! This may only be a coincidence but this is what happened to me!
Wow that's amazing, hopefully mine will come soon.

WAIT. I didn't realize this either but my application says Applicant - UT !! I was complete 9/30. Crossing my fingers I hear back soon

Yes, that means that after their review, you're now only being considered for the UT campus.

Question for current students at RVUCOM-SU...
I absolutely loved the school on interview day and was fortunate enough to be offered a seat a few weeks ago! I am weighing the pros and cons between this school and one other, and the only question/concern I have about RVUSU is regarding research. I know the CO campus just matched several students into pretty competitive specialties this past year which is pretty impressive, and I'm assuming the CO campus has some good research opps on campus in order to help those students get those residency spots. What is research like at SU? I don't remember there being a wet lab during the campus tour, and I am wondering if this will hinder SU campus students from matching into some of the same specialties CO students are. Is there anyone currently involved in research/ professors offering any research that students are able to participate in? I've just heard a bunch about how research (publishing etc) is necessary if you're looking to go into surgery or some other similar specialties, so I wanted to clarify SU's resources. Shout out to @Dr. wait for it... for his awesome response, just wanting to get multiple perspectives.

Anyone on here interview with me yesterday?
Great experience. Small group. Lots of BYU students. Laid back, but you still have to prepare and know your app like you should no matter how laid back any school claims their interviews are. The presentation/chat with the dean was really helpful.
Y’all weren’t joking about every student that walked by coming up to say hi and offer to answer any questions. Crazy friendly. And they’d just gotten out of a big exam.
Oh and in the folder they give you there’s a page that has the schedule and interview order, including who is interviewing who, along with a one-page bio of each person interviewing you, but you need to double check that they both match up. A few of us actually got the wrong bios in our packets compared to who it said would be interviewing us on the schedule page, and had to trade the bios around amongst us. Nbd. I’m sure it was an innocent accident, but I found the bios helpful and might have been thrown off a little if I’d walked in the room to see someone unexpected. Even that would have been recoverable though :)

Question for current students at RVUCOM-SU...
What is research like at SU?...

Third year UT student involved with research at the school. There are research opportunities if you are proactive and seek them out. I feel many of the faculty would be willing to work with you on a project if you come to them with an idea or brainstorm one up with them. I do not think there is a huge list of "pending" faculty projects like they have at other schools. It takes initiative, you won't be simply handed a project.

There is a "Research Track" available where you work directly with faculty members to design, implement, and carry out a project (and hopefully publish). You also learn more about the research process, read and present articles in weekly sessions, etc.

There is no "wet" lab. You are not going to be doing PhD type stuff if you come here (pipetting, PCR, animal models, etc, etc). It essentially translational and clinical research. Some students have come up with some pretty cool and independent ideas (OMT studies, BMI changes during school, thoughts on OMT and desired speciality, projects done on international trips, etc). Both campuses hold an annual research day where you can present you work (and add it to your CV).

Last year the UT campus hosted the Student Osteopathic Surgical Conference which had an additional opportunity to present work.

As far as research being "necessary" for residency - it is very dependent on the speciality and the program. IMO, do not do research for the sake of checking off a box on your CV. You will be miserable and your work will likely be "meh". There are many community/county based programs that want good clinicians, not physician-scientists. Of course, if you are looking at academic/university residency, then yes, you should be interested in research and have some on your CV.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Question for current students/ anyone who knows the area well. What types of employment are SO able to typically find? We came across tech ridge while doing some research but it seems to still be very much under development, is that the case?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

II! Check your portal. Not sure if it got filtered, but I didn't receive an email notification.

I checked, and nothing :( when were you file complete?

edit: Congrats by the way!!!

Thanks!

I submitted 8/30, complete 10/3! Pretty excited for this one, I really love the region and semi-rural atmosphere.

Can any current students comment on 3rd/4th year rotations? I came across the .pdf describing lottery based interview locations. How do you guys feel about the rotation sites?

Last edited:
Thanks!

I submitted 8/30, complete 10/3! Pretty excited for this one, I really love the region and semi-rural atmosphere.

Can any current students comment on 3rd/4th year rotations? I came across the .pdf describing lottery based interview locations. How do you guys feel about the rotation sites?

So if you dont mind what are your stats? I was complete by 10/2 I'm trying to gauge where I may be as far as in their lineup. Thanks

Since RVU requires everyone to take both boards, is there going to be a published pass rate sometime this cycle? If so, is there a certain time period it can be expected?

Withdrawing my acceptance. Best of luck to you all.

Accepted! Still emotionally processing. Interviewed Oct 21.
My LizzyM is between 60-61 so never give up!

Accepted!! I got the call this afternoon. Interviewed 10/16. Can't believe this is happening! I really love this school

@ current students, do you have to move far away from St George for rotations in year 3 and 4? Do you have to move to a new city for every rotation? I couldn’t find quantifiable info on their website and i’m trying to decide between RVU and another school

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

@ current students, do you have to move far away from St George for rotations in year 3 and 4?

Your 3rd year rotation region is decided by a lottery drawing system based upon how you and your classmates each rank the rotation sites (rotation site guide posted below). In general, once you are placed in a region the school will work to try and have you do as many of your rotations as possible in that region. So far this year students have been doing rotations at sites outside of their “assigned region“. I’m not surprised being the first class, but it is disappointing. My feeling is that by the time you would start rotations more sites and preceptors will be established and this would be less of an issue. However I don’t think the school will ever guarantee 100% that all of your rotations will be in one region during third year.

4th year - most of your rotations are up to what you want to do. For example if you want to do away rotations at residency programs you are interested in you apply for a visiting student rotation. You can also set up your own rotations with preceptors you know or work with your coordinator to do electives in areas you’re interested in with preceptors who are already affiliated with RVU.

Since RVU requires everyone to take both boards, is there going to be a published pass rate sometime this cycle? If so, is there a certain time period it can be expected?

Like full rocker Said, it should be posted soon. I am curious to see the pass rate. But there is talk that they might drop the requirement to take Step 1 if you are going into family med. it’s something our dean brought up for our class (2021) but it didn’t happen before we took boards. I’m not sure if it will actually happen or not in the future. But the reasoning they give is that most family med programs will accept either score so they don’t want to add the extra cost and stress to students who don’t truly need that score on their app. I think there is also benefit for the school if it happens to drop people who don’t try as hard on step (because they don’t feel they need it to get into their specialty). That could boost the average For step 1. Curious if they have brought this up at any of the interviews?

Like full rocker Said, it should be posted soon. I am curious to see the pass rate. But there is talk that they might drop the requirement to take Step 1 if you are going into family med. it’s something our dean brought up for our class (2021) but it didn’t happen before we took boards. I’m not sure if it will actually happen or not in the future. But the reasoning they give is that most family med programs will accept either score so they don’t want to add the extra cost and stress to students who don’t truly need that score on their app. I think there is also benefit for the school if it happens to drop people who don’t try as hard on step (because they don’t feel they need it to get into their specialty). That could boost the average For step 1. Curious if they have brought this up at any of the interviews?

In our interviews recently (Oct 21) the Dean still sounded pretty firm and supportive of everyone being required to take both exams. He sounded like he wanted to firmly set our expectations as potential future students there, but I also don’t think that excludes the possibility that he was still supportive of what you mentioned about FM not being required to take USMLE, he just didn’t bring it up in his interview presentation.

In our interviews recently (Oct 21) the Dean still sounded pretty firm and supportive of everyone being required to take both exams. He sounded like he wanted to firmly set our expectations as potential future students there, but I also don’t think that excludes the possibility that he was still supportive of what you mentioned about FM not being required to take USMLE, he just didn’t bring it up in his interview presentation.

Then don't take what I said for much weight. If he didn't bring it up, the schools stance is probably that taking USMLE step 1 will most likely benefit you as a student. I can see why they would want you to take both, People tend to do better on the COMLEX if they take Step 1 first and you need to pass COMLEX to become a physician out of this school.

Anyone on here interview with me yesterday?
Great experience. Small group. Lots of BYU students. Laid back, but you still have to prepare and know your app like you should no matter how laid back any school claims their interviews are. The presentation/chat with the dean was really helpful.
Y’all weren’t joking about every student that walked by coming up to say hi and offer to answer any questions. Crazy friendly. And they’d just gotten out of a big exam.
Oh and in the folder they give you there’s a page that has the schedule and interview order, including who is interviewing who, along with a one-page bio of each person interviewing you, but you need to double check that they both match up. A few of us actually got the wrong bios in our packets compared to who it said would be interviewing us on the schedule page, and had to trade the bios around amongst us. Nbd. I’m sure it was an innocent accident, but I found the bios helpful and might have been thrown off a little if I’d walked in the room to see someone unexpected. Even that would have been recoverable though :)
Thanks for the information! I'm interviewing here and incredibly excited. You mentioned there was a small group of people getting interviewed, do you mind letting us know about how many?

Thanks for the information! I'm interviewing here and incredibly excited. You mentioned there was a small group of people getting interviewed, do you mind letting us know about how many?
Small compared to other places I’ve heard of (PNWU has a TON apparently). There were 11 of us if I remember right.

Then don't take what I said for much weight. If he didn't bring it up, the schools stance is probably that taking USMLE step 1 will most likely benefit you as a student. I can see why they would want you to take both, People tend to do better on the COMLEX if they take Step 1 first and you need to pass COMLEX to become a physician out of this school.
How do you manage to study for both exams?

It' not as bad as it sounds, because there is so much overlap between the two tests. Most people I know studied using things like UWORLD (question bank), First Aid for Step 1, Pathoma and Sketchy. Those are all resources that allopathic students will use, so basically you study for Step 1 and then add the osteopathic medicine and techniques in the days between the time you take USMLE step 1 and COMLEX Level 1. So you would schedule USMLE step 1 about 4 or 5 days before COMLEX.

Each test focuses on different things, but you'll need to know the diseases, pharm, anatomy and physiology for both. In my opinion I felt like RVU actually prepared us pretty well for the osteopathic section. So if you are able to do well on Step 1 and review osteopathic stuff you should do okay on level 1. so I only spent 1.5 days studying osteopathic stuff and it worked out.

Last edited:

Much like Dr. wait for it... said above, the tests have overlap, but are inherently different. However, in my opinion, by studying for USMLE, you'll study for COMLEX. Add an extra day or two to review OMM and you should pass COMLEX. I found the RVU OPP department gave me a solid foundation in OMM and I wasn't concerned about it on the COMLEX.

You just need to pass COMLEX for your degree, but a strong USMLE score will keep (and open) doors for you.

Does anybody know about how much time is spent on OMM per week here?

Does anybody know about how much time is spent on OMM per week here?

At the bare minimum, 2 hours/week of lab.
1-2 hours of lecture (many are pre-recorded) / week.
Occasional "mandatory" lectures (1-3/semester) - usually involving a guest lecturer thus required attendance.

Accepted! Just got the phone call. Interviewed 11/6 as well

Got the phone call this morning! Super excited as I loved the school so much! Interviewed about a week ago. OOS.

Just got the call!! So stoked! I’ve received multiple offers so far but this school will be the one I matriculate into!