2019-2020 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM-Utah)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would any of the current MS3s be able to comment on your personal experiences with preceptor/rotation quality thus far?

This was honestly my favorite school I interviewed at by FAR, but this is a significant hesitation.

Also really interested in seeing the 2019 board scores- hopefully they get published soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
What’s everyone’s thoughts on buying a house during med school? Especially if you have a family? Any current students doing this?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
Would any of the current MS3s be able to comment on your personal experiences with preceptor/rotation quality thus far?

This was honestly my favorite school I interviewed at by FAR, but this is a significant hesitation.

Also really interested in seeing the 2019 board scores- hopefully they get published soon!

[/QUOTE]

My experience has been mostly positive. We definitely have a lack of psychiatrist and it sounds like trouble finding OBGYN in some regions. I just made sure to tell the coordinator which specialties I am interested in so I could get a decent rotation for those. I don’t want to do psych so I was fine with what they set me up with for that.

Surgery rotations were awesome for me though. I first assisted on most of the surgeries I was on. Family med has been a really good experience with Awesome docs that like to teach. Just from talking it seems like Southern Utah and Utah county regions have the most preceptors for most of the specialties.

Some students have spent most of their rotations out of the region they were assigned though. So I think that’s the biggest complaint of my class. Besides having to go out of region it seems like they do enjoy the rotation and have good experiences for the most part.

In patient exposure is limited. So if your looking into peds and want that experience, definitely do your research and try to find out where you can do in patient.

Your class would have the advantage of seeing what the upperclass have said about each preceptor and trying to switch if you see something you don’t like. I would assume there would be more preceptors every year as well.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. On the spectrum of how people have liked 3rd year I am definitely on the positive side. 3rd year has been a lot of fun and way better than the first two years.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are people still getting II invites? I submited 9/18 and was file complete 10/02 but they have been radio silent with me since then... is this normal?

Are people still getting II invites? I submited 9/18 and was file complete 10/02 but they have been radio silent with me since then... is this normal?
Just got one right now, complete about a week before you I think

So I was already accepted into KCU and paid the deposit, would y’all pick rvu over kcu and why? Thanks for your help.

So I was already accepted into KCU and paid the deposit, would y’all pick rvu over kcu and why? Thanks for your help.

I chose RVU over KCU... I did really like KCU but I'm glad I chose RVU.

mostly because I wanted to keep my family close to home/grandparents. It was a great decision for me and things have worked out with RVU better than I expected with it being brand new the year I started.

Med school is stressful and I think RVU and KCU have some of the more grueling curriculums than some other schools. I say go where you think you'll be able to focus on school the best. If your more comfortable in one area than the other and less stressed outside of school... thats a big plus.

The year i started school I heard that KCU had a rough year due to some administration changes or something. I don't know details but you should see if you can talk to some students there and see how things are going.

I think either will prepare you well as long as you are willing to work hard and put a lot of time in. Do some research on how to crush boards if your looking into something competitive.

Good luck!

I chose RVU over KCU... I did really like KCU but I'm glad I chose RVU.

mostly because I wanted to keep my family close to home/grandparents. It was a great decision for me and things have worked out with RVU better than I expected with it being brand new the year I started.

Med school is stressful and I think RVU and KCU have some of the more grueling curriculums than some other schools. I say go where you think you'll be able to focus on school the best. If your more comfortable in one area than the other and less stressed outside of school... thats a big plus.

The year i started school I heard that KCU had a rough year due to some administration changes or something. I don't know details but you should see if you can talk to some students there and see how things are going.

I think either will prepare you well as long as you are willing to work hard and put a lot of time in. Do some research on how to crush boards if your looking into something competitive.

Good luck!
Why would you say that RVU's curriculum is more grueling in comparison to other schools?

Why would you say that RVU's curriculum is more grueling in comparison to other schools?
No good data. Just talking to the few people I know at other schools it seems like RVU really pushes you in comparison.

I think that’s a good thing and can help prepare you for boards, some might say it’s not. Just depends on what your looking for out of a med school.

Any where you go though I think it will be time consuming and stressful, just be prepared to work and find a schedule and hobbies that will help you handle stress.

Jumping in on this.

I've heard through the grapevine that RVU has the most (or close to the most) "contact" hours of the DO schools. Cannot compare to MD schools because we have an extra ~400 hours of OMM (hooray...). Contact hours means the total number of hours that are on your calendar for classes/labs/DSAs (DSA = designated study assignment aka a fancy way of saying "we put this on your schedule so you should do your readings during this time" but its up to you what you do during that time).

Overall I found the curriculum prepared me well to be ready for dedicated and board studying. I did not find it too stressful aside from the few weeks in both 1st/2nd year where we had OPP practicals and a few finals over 7-10 days.

Its medical school and it will NOT be a walk in the park. If you slack off or do other stuff and choose to not go to class / watch lectures the same day you will likely struggle. If you come here (or any school) with the mindset of working hard and actually putting the work in, you will see the benefits.

Last edited:
Jumping in on this.

I've heard through the grapevine that RVU has the most (or close to the most) "contact" hours of the DO schools. Cannot compare to MD schools because we have an extra ~400 hours of OMM (hooray...). Contact hours means the total number of hours that are on your calendar for classes/labs/DSAs (DSA = designated study assignment aka a fancy way of saying "we put this on your schedule so you should do your readings during this time" but its up to you what you do during that time).

Overall I found the curriculum prepared me well to be ready for dedicated and board studying. I did not find it too stressful aside from the few weeks in both 1st/2nd year where we had OPP practicals and a few finals over 7-10 days.

Its medical school and it will NOT be a walk in the park. If you slack off or do other stuff and choose to not go to class / watch lectures the same day you will likely struggle. If you come here (or any school) with the mindset of working hard and actually putting the work in, you will see the benefits.
And how has the experience with clinicals been for you? Thank you for filling us in about the school!

And how has the experience with clinicals been for you? Thank you for filling us in about the school!

Mixed experience among students. Personally, I was hoping for a more involved/challenging IM experience (4 of my 8 weeks was outpatient adult medicine). I'm aggressively planning my two elective rotations and 4th year rotations to have more inpatient experience prior to residency.

The physicians I've worked with have all been great and that has been a strong positive. My hope is our class continues to do well on rotations so more opportunities open for those who come after us.

Is there a Facebook page for the 2019-2020 accepted students?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the individual who is asking between KCU and RV I am in the same boat. Now, take this with a grain of salt because I am from KC and may (probably) have a personal bias. I attended both interviews and honestly received a family vibe from both schools. The location of RV is a HUGE plus in my book because I am an avid hiker and just generally love to be outdoors. The proximity to all of the national parks and outdoor events, which I use as a way to cope with stressful times, almost made me sway my decision to attend RV. Being from KC, its hard to justify going to a school (KCUMB) in arguably the worst part of town (not exaggerating), but it is an upcoming area that is starting to become revitalized. HOWEVER, ultimately what it came down to was reputation and clinical rotation sites for me. KCU allows much more autonomy as to where you can attend clinical rotation sites (basically all over the country) whereas RV is pretty limited to Utah, Idaho, and one in Arizona. This was important because my girlfriend is a marine biologist and will be on a coast. MOST importantly above all, KCU is a MUCH more established school than RV. Does this make the school better? No, absolutely not but what it does do is provide an easier "foot in the door" if you may. Plus, KCU is getting what looks to be a DOPE new sim center so that's a plus. That being said, I am pretty sure RV and KCU have almost the exact same curriculum (other than the early ultrasound exposure RVU offers which is so amazing in my opinion) so at the end of the day......medical school will be what you make it and I am sure you will make the right decision whatever you choose! Hopefully my back and forth opinionated response was at least some help!

p.s. the state of Utah has my heart and is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I would love to someday live there but something in my gut just told me to go to KCU. Make your pros and cons list but ultimately go where you will be happiest.

I just found out I am interviewing for an acceptance pending space in the 2024 class. My interview is soon. I wasn't told this when I scheduled the interview and all my travel so I am assuming they just filled their class this week. Does anyone have anymore information on this or has been told something similar?

I interviewed 1/10 and am supposed to hear back this week about my status but I haven't heard anything yet. They did not tell us anything like that at or before my interview

OK. Sorry team, I actually got the acceptance call like the minute I hit submit on the above post. Good luck everyone! I AM SO STOKED

I interviewed 1/10 and am supposed to hear back this week about my status but I haven't heard anything yet. They did not tell us anything like that at or before my interview
OK. Sorry team, I actually got the acceptance call like the minute I hit submit on the above post. Good luck everyone! I AM SO STOKED

Congrats on the great news!!
Thanks for that information. That probably means that just today they have offered as many acceptances as they have spots. That makes me feel more optimistic.
How long did they give until deposit is due?

Congrats on the great news!!
Thanks for that information. That probably means that just today they have offered as many acceptances as they have spots. That makes me feel more optimistic.
How long did they give until deposit is due?
1st deposit is due like 2 weeks from my acceptance.

Does anyone know what exactly the APS list means for applicants? Does this guarantee you won’t be able to get in this year? Does it mean for sure those who are on this list will be waitlisted? I just got a similar call as T.Hudson70 above.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what exactly the APS list means for applicants? Does this guarantee you won’t be able to get in this year? Does it mean for sure those who are on this list will be waitlisted? I just got a similar call as T.Hudson70 above.

They did a great job explaining APS on the actual interview day. APS is not a waitlist spot. RVUCOM-SU does not have a waitlist. They have an alternate list. APS is not a spot on that alternate list. When RVU gives out an APS that means you have been accepted. They want you and plan to give you a seat when one opens up. If no seats open up that cycle then you are guaranteed a seat the following year. So basically if you get an APS for class of 2024 but no seats open up then you automatically are accepted into the class of 2025. It was implied that APS's given this early in the cycle usually always turn into acceptance the same cycle.

They did a great job explaining APS on the actual interview day. APS is not a waitlist spot. RVUCOM-SU does not have a waitlist. They have an alternate list. APS is not a spot on that alternate list. When RVU gives out an APS that means you have been accepted. They want you and plan to give you a seat when one opens up. If no seats open up that cycle then you are guaranteed a seat the following year. So basically if you get an APS for class of 2024 but no seats open up then you automatically are accepted into the class of 2025. It was implied that APS's given this early in the cycle usually always turn into acceptance the same cycle.
Does anybody, by chance, know how long it usually takes to hear that you got a spot after you've been placed on APS? There was a deposit due 2 days after I got the call so I'm very anxious!

Just got the APS call about an hour ago!!! Very excited. I'm Utah bound this year, or next.

Does anybody, by chance, know how long it usually takes to hear that you got a spot after you've been placed on APS? There was a deposit due 2 days after I got the call so I'm very anxious!

Two days after APS call? Or two days after the call notifying you a seat has opened up? When did you interview?

Sorry to bother, but I can't seem to find the interview format for this school. Is it only a traditional interview or are there MMIs as well?

Sorry to bother, but I can't seem to find the interview format for this school. Is it only a traditional interview or are there MMIs as well?
Traditional 2 on 1. Semi-open file. From what I remember it means they have your essays and activities but they don't know your grades/MCAT.

Just to clarify - for those with APS status, is the deposit due once you are APS or once you are confirmed a seat?

Is anybody else anxious about coming here after hearing about the Step 1 news? Or am I worrying for nothing?

Is anybody else anxious about coming here after hearing about the Step 1 news? Or am I worrying for nothing?
Oh, I am. I think they'll handle it well, I was really impressed by Dean Park and I think they'll be able to help us navigate this well but there is that question of whether or not this is going to end up as a huge negative for DOs somehow.

Just to clarify - for those with APS status, is the deposit due once you are APS or once you are confirmed a seat?

I was told by the school that deposits aren't due until an actually seat opens up and your status is changed to accepted.

Jumping in on this.

Would we need scrubs for anatomy? What did you generally wear for anatomy lab?

Would we need scrubs for anatomy? What did you generally wear for anatomy lab?

Yes, you’ll need scrubs. I usually wore my scrubs with a plain lab coat over the top. Sometimes people would wear an old sweatshirt if they got cold. I got mine from the hospital I worked at before school, but you can find a cheap pair either online, or at a place like Goodwill. Long plain lab coats are on Amazon usually for ~$20. Or rising 1st years might have one to sell or give away. Buy whatever is the cheapest.

Closer to when school starts they’ll send out an email of all the stuff you “need“ to have for anatomy as well as school.

As an aside, my advice is to buy the cheapest of everything, there’s no reason to waste money on super ”nice” and expensive “toys”. You are going to learn proper use and technique with any instrument or tool, but no true diagnosis so there is no reason for them to be clinical grade. When you start clinicals you could maybe think about getting one of the nicer stethoscopes, but before that you’re not gonna need anything $$$.

Yes, you’ll need scrubs. I usually wore my scrubs with a plain lab coat over the top. Sometimes people would wear an old sweatshirt if they got cold. I got mine from the hospital I worked at before school, but you can find a cheap pair either online, or at a place like Goodwill. Long plain lab coats are on Amazon usually for ~$20. Or rising 1st years might have one to sell or give away. Buy whatever is the cheapest.

Closer to when school starts they’ll send out an email of all the stuff you “need“ to have for anatomy as well as school.

As an aside, my advice is to buy the cheapest of everything, there’s no reason to waste money on super ”nice” and expensive “toys”. You are going to learn proper use and technique with any instrument or tool, but no true diagnosis so there is no reason for them to be clinical grade. When you start clinicals you could maybe think about getting one of the nicer stethoscopes, but before that you’re not gonna need anything $$$.

I agree, go cheap for stuff. Check amazon for otoscope/opthalmoscope and whatever else they ask you to buy. They have nice ones at the school that you use for your pretend patient encounters. and you when your looking in your classmates ears/eyes you don’t need a great view.

I think a nice stethoscope is worth it. But it won’t really be useful until clinical rotations do you can either buy at the beginning or wait til clinicals.

Accepted back in November, very excited! But also sort of confused on the matriculation paperwork. I've finished everything except the health forms and have an appt to get those done this week. I've had all the required vaccinations with documentation, but I cannot tell if they'd still want me to get titers done? Anyone understand these paperwork better than me?

Accepted back in November, very excited! But also sort of confused on the matriculation paperwork. I've finished everything except the health forms and have an appt to get those done this week. I've had all the required vaccinations with documentation, but I cannot tell if they'd still want me to get titers done? Anyone understand these paperwork better than me?

I just submitted all of mine and I believe that they want both your record AND titers.
On the form it says “X number of vaccines AND serologic proof of immunity (titers)”

You need to show proof of receiving the vaccine as well as a titer if it says (MMR and Hep B for sure, not sure if its changed). Make sure you get quantitative (i.e. reports a number) rather than qualitative (reports yes/no). Retain a copy of all records, you will need them for 4th year rotations and residency applications.

Anyone know anything about 2020 match results?

What type of info do you want to know? These are the specialties that I have heard people match into: Family, Internal, Peds, EM, Path, ortho, optho, ENT, OBGYN, Gen surg, rads, psych, PM&R, anesthesia, seem, urology and a derm.

I know this isn’t surprising info since these specialties get matched into most years and
There are still a lot of people in that year that I haven’t seen the match for.

If i reached out for research purposes in choosing my final school do you think they would provide the results?

Last edited:
In an email from the Dean on Friday, 2020 Matches include:
35 FM
31 IM + IM/Ped
12 Ped
23 Surgery (Gen + Sub-specality, unknown cat vs prelim)
8 OB/GYN
7 Anes
10 Psych
5 PM&R
4 TYs
1 Derm
2 DR
2 Path

However, with Step 1 now being P/F, match lists are even more irrelevant moving forward than they are now. Sure, they tell you how many students matched to a PGY-1 spot, but give zero information on how many matched to top choice (or field if they dual applied), how many went through SOAP, or how many are in preliminary spots with advanced matches vs prelim only. Don't buy into the match list "hype".

In an email from the Dean on Friday, 2020 Matches include:
35 FM
31 IM + IM/Ped
12 Ped
23 Surgery (Gen + Sub-specality, unknown cat vs prelim)
8 OB/GYN
7 Anes
10 Psych
5 PM&R
4 TYs
1 Derm
2 DR
2 Path

However, with Step 1 now being P/F, match lists are even more irrelevant moving forward than they are now. Sure, they tell you how many students matched to a PGY-1 spot, but give zero information on how many matched to top choice (or field if they dual applied), how many went through SOAP, or how many are in preliminary spots with advanced matches vs prelim only. Don't buy into the match list "hype".
You are right. More just curious how the list looks but I’m absolutely taking it with a grain of salt.

I emailed and asked for the results and they were super helpful. Not a bad match list in my opinion.

Attachments

• Copy of 2020 MATCH RESULTS.pdf
    368.6 KB · Views: 179
Future/Current students - Where are you living (or planning on living) while in school? Are the on-campus apartments the way to go or is it most money-friendly to find an apartment nearby?

Has anyone who’s APS heard anything?

Other than the email from Whitney Johnson yesterday I haven't heard anything. The email implied that there were more APS individuals than seats open. I bet, unless a large amount of APS individuals withdraw, a good amount of APS individuals will be matriculating in 2025. I also think COVID limited the late cycle movement that'd usually open up seats. I would definitely have a contingency plan in the works just in case we have to wait a year.

Withdrawing my acceptance today. Hope my spot goes to one of you!! Best of luck!