2019-2020 University of South Carolina - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! Also an M1 here. I would suggest maintaining your application active (if it’s not past any deadlines) by updating the admissions if you have major changes. Also to stay calm! This is a scary/anxious time. But you all have made it sooo far! Keep your heads up.

I can answer any other questions y’all may have too!
Hey! I sent them an update letter mid January and one of my professors sent them a letter as well. Hopefully that helps! Thank you for your encouragement

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone Here get accepted after getting the hold letter? Like without getting put on the waitlist

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when columbia will tell people who have been on hold since the fall if they have been accepted?

Has anyone from the March 4 interview date heard anything? I am wondering if I missed a letter or something. Are rejections through the mail as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone from the March 4 interview date heard anything? I am wondering if I missed a letter or something. Are rejections through the mail as well?
I interviewed on the 11th, and got a hold letter in the mail. You should probably have gotten something, maybe reach out?

Reactions: 1 user
Lol the letter got lost in the mail so admissions forwarded me the fat R over email today :(

As a current M2, can I just calm everyone down and let you know that whether or not your letter is "highly rated" or you get a postcard after your interview, none of that means anything :) other than our school is just personable. You can get rejected or accepted in either scenario

As a current M2, can I just calm everyone down and let you know that whether or not your letter is "highly rated" or you get a postcard after your interview, none of that means anything :) other than our school is just personable. You can get rejected or accepted in either scenario

with all due respect, I don’t think the part about “highly rated” is true, they don’t just use it randomly. I have applied previously and got bottom third of waitlist when my letter did not mention “highly rated”. Please don’t spread misinformation that gets people’s hopes up for no reason, unless you personally confirmed it with the admissions committee

Last edited:
with all due respect, I don’t think the part about “highly rated” is true, they don’t just use it randomly. I have applied previously and got bottom third of waitlist when my letter did not mention “highly rated”. Please don’t spread misinformation that gets people’s hopes up for no reason, unless you personally confirmed it with the admissions committee

I was given an “on hold” letter which did not say anything about being highly rated. I am curious to see where I fall on this waitlist coming up.

The last day of interviews was today (according to a current medical student). Seems like they typically contact people the Thursday/Friday after that. So I'm hoping we find out in the next two days!

The last day of interviews was today (according to a current medical student). Seems like they typically contact people the Thursday/Friday after that. So I'm hoping we find out in the next two days!

I thought the last interviews occurred on the 29th?

No news yet, for me. I assume they will sit on their information for another couple weeks or so, given the coronavirus mandating a shelter-in-place law. The S.C. Governor is issuing this law in the next couple days.

Last edited:
No news yet, for me. I assume they will sit on their information for another couple weeks or so, given the coronavirus mandating a shelter-in-place law. The S.C. Governor is issuing this law in the next couple days.

I don’t think the shelter-in-place law which hasn’t even been implemented yet will affect decisions or their being sent out

My only point was that "highly rated" people have been rejected in the past, and those who were not "highly rated" have been accepted. I was personally not "highly rated" in my letter and yet was somehow in the top third of the waitlist which has a 100% rate of acceptance. Please go somewhere else with your "don't spread misinformation that gets peoples' hopes up for no reason." I am a current student at this school. I have been where you are. I have been through multiple cycles. Also, did you know that M2s are on the admissions committee... Please give me the benefit of the doubt that I know a liiiiiittle more about this school than you probably do :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Beck860,

What is your guess as to the potential delay in admissions committee waitlist generation?

Beck860,

What is your guess as to the potential delay in admissions committee waitlist generation?
I'd like to apologize in advanced for this unhelpful, mundane response. It's hard to say given the circumstances. The admissions committee has been just as out of sync as everyone else. The last interview day was yesterday and historically, it takes ~10 days to rank the waitlist. I know it's hard but hang in there. If you have any LEGITIMATE updates to your application, send them in NOW before the ranked list comes out. I'll keep you guys updated if I hear anything!

Reactions: 1 users
My only point was that "highly rated" people have been rejected in the past, and those who were not "highly rated" have been accepted. I was personally not "highly rated" in my letter and yet was somehow in the top third of the waitlist which has a 100% rate of acceptance. Please go somewhere else with your "don't spread misinformation that gets peoples' hopes up for no reason." I am a current student at this school. I have been where you are. I have been through multiple cycles. Also, did you know that M2s are on the admissions committee... Please give me the benefit of the doubt that I know a liiiiiittle more about this school than you probably do :)

so you’re saying that the use of “highly rated” means literally nothing when it comes to admissions? Why even bother using it then?

Waitlisted, honestly happy since I interviewed in the fall. Anyone know how movement is here?

Waitlisted, honestly happy since I interviewed in the fall. Anyone know how movement is here?
Movement is VERY promising here, depending on what third you're in, but it does take a while. For example, I was in the top third and was accepted at the end of April. One of my best friends here was in the bottom third and wasn't accepted until the week before orientation (so mid July). Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Movement is VERY promising here, depending on what third you're in, but it does take a while. For example, I was in the top third and was accepted at the end of April. One of my best friends here was in the bottom third and wasn't accepted until the week before orientation (so mid July). Hope this helps!
Do you know if there is a difference between in-state and out-of-state students in respect to the waitlist?

Bottom third. Anyone know how many from the that tier get in?

Bottom 1/3 out of state, can someone tell me my odds. Already have an acceptance at a strong DO program

Top 1/3 waitlist IS. Last cycle a few of my buddies got in from the middle 1/3 at the beginning of May, so I imagine the top 1/3 was in by the end of April. Not certain if our current pandemic will throw off timelines though.

Are you guys emailing the admissions email back to ask what third you’re in? I read my WL email like three times and all it says is that they can tell me which third I’m in but doesn’t actually say which one. (Sorry in advance, my in person interview got switched to a phone interview thanks to coronavirus so i didn’t get really any specifics about the WL/how it works here)