***2019-2020 URM Medical School Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my first acceptance to USC - Keck! We out here Class of 2024!!! :banana:

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Congratulations to everyone! Someone should make the accepted URM page for this class. I've also been accepted.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
d

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally took the plunge..

African
Major: Cell biology; Philosophy, 2016
cGPA: 3.58
sGPA: 3.57
MCAT:
First take: 513
Second take [first score expired]: 521
Research:
2000+ hours in 3 labs [1 basic, 2 clinical]
1 publication [second author]
2 poster presentations [1, first; 1, second]
clinical experience
200+ hours ER greeter, information desk volunteer
500+ hours medical scribe
shadowing:
Primary care clinic [40 hours over 3 weeks]
Rheumatology [2 hours]
Psychiatry [5 hours]
Radiology [16 hours]
Neurology [8 hours]
ICU rounds [5 hours]
Non-clinical volunteering:
Various roles through one organization [~250+ hours]:
Volunteer, volunteer coordinator [100+]​
Volunteer literacy class instructor [100+]​
Volunteer stem club instructor [50+ hours over 2 semesters]​
Hospice [9 hours]
Meditation retreat center volunteer
Non-clinical Employment:
Community assistant 2 years
Research internship, Summer in college
Research fellowship, 1 year
Specialty of interest: Neurology; Psychiatry

Secondaries submitted between September and October: 17
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Stony Brook
Cornell - Free tuition!
Drexel
Sidney Kimmel
Brown
Boston U
Tufts
Colorado U
Maryland U
Rochester
NYMC
Rutgers
Pitt
Rosalind Franklin
Wash U St. Louis - Free tuition!

Best of luck everyone!
Did you apply this cycle? I would have suggested adding Duke, Columbia, UMichigan, Emory, Vanderbilt, Case Western and the HBCUs. I hope you are having a fabulous cycle!

Finally took the plunge..

African
Major: Cell biology; Philosophy, 2016
cGPA: 3.58
sGPA: 3.57
MCAT:
First take: 513
Second take [first score expired]: 521
Research:
2000+ hours in 3 labs [1 basic, 2 clinical]
1 publication [second author]
2 poster presentations [1, first; 1, second]
clinical experience
200+ hours ER greeter, information desk volunteer
500+ hours medical scribe
shadowing:
Primary care clinic [40 hours over 3 weeks]
Rheumatology [2 hours]
Psychiatry [5 hours]
Radiology [16 hours]
Neurology [8 hours]
ICU rounds [5 hours]
Non-clinical volunteering:
Various roles through one organization [~250+ hours]:
Volunteer, volunteer coordinator [100+]​
Volunteer literacy class instructor [100+]​
Volunteer stem club instructor [50+ hours over 2 semesters]​
Hospice [9 hours]
Meditation retreat center volunteer
Non-clinical Employment:
Community assistant 2 years
Research internship, Summer in college
Research fellowship, 1 year
Specialty of interest: Neurology; Psychiatry

Secondaries submitted between September and October: 17
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Stony Brook
Cornell - Free tuition!
Drexel
Sidney Kimmel
Brown
Boston U
Tufts
Colorado U
Maryland U
Rochester
NYMC
Rutgers
Pitt
Rosalind Franklin
Wash U St. Louis - Free tuition!

Best of luck everyone!
wait...so you already applied and received acceptance and free tuition at Cornell and WashU? Impressive. I wonder, does WashU have COA scholarships?

wait...so you already applied and received acceptance and free tuition at Cornell and WashU? Impressive. I wonder, does WashU have COA scholarships?

Did you apply this cycle? I would have suggested adding Duke, Columbia, UMichigan, Emory, Vanderbilt, Case Western and the HBCUs. I hope you are having a fabulous cycle!

Gah! Sorry for the confusing post. I sent my secondaries, I've had one II so far and am waiting for responses from the remainder of schools.

Reactions: 1 user
LM 65, just got rejected from Rosalind Franklin, complete silence from the rest.

LM 65, just got rejected from Rosalind Franklin, complete silence from the rest.

Aye fam, sorry to hear that. There's still time and we have a good chunk of cycle left. Thanksgiving rule is still in effect, don't freak freak out until then. Have you started working on your weak areas for worst case scenario?

Aye fam, sorry to hear that. There's still time and we have a good chunk of cycle left. Thanksgiving rule is still in effect, don't freak freak out until then. Have you started working on your weak areas for worst case scenario?

I have. Looking at MS programs for the inevitable gap year and already getting ready to study for the MCAT again.

I can’t believe I just found this page!! Congrats to everyone who’s heard good news and good luck to those that are waiting :)

Reactions: 3 users
This forum is pretty well hidden. I only chanced on it by accident. Keeps away the trolls, but also reduces traffic for those who could use it :shrug:

This forum is pretty well hidden. I only chanced on it by accident. Keeps away the trolls, but also reduces traffic for those who could use it :shrug:
yea I only found it by stalking posts of a user from another thread. It led me to this forum.

Hola ya'll!

M0 here, I'm procrastinating, so I would love to read and give feedback on some PSs for URM/low-SES chicos and chicas. Feel free to PM me your PS in the form of a google doc that allows people to make edits, and doesn't make people sign in!

Let me know if ya'll have any questions, gracias!
Wondering if you are still giving feedback for URM chicos? Please let me know so I can PM you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Could be. You can always ask for a fee waiver as well. They can also see that you’re URM when they review your app.
Do you just email them directly for secondary fee waiver or how would you go about this? I got one for UChicago, but wondering if I will get one for Northwestern? Also do you know what schools provide waivers?

Hi friends,

Feeling a bit down today as I've just been rejected from my state school :( This is a few weeks after being waitlisted from my hometown school.

I have the last of my 3 II in mid Dec and it's at a T20 (honestly still can't believe I got the II). I was hoping to have an A to hold onto to make me feel a bit more relaxed but now I'm extremely nervous that I'll somehow mess this one up too. Any advice for how to calm down / better prepare? I wish we got interview feedback with Rs so that I would have a better idea of what went wrong but now i'm just second guessing everything.

I used to consider myself a pretty confident person but its so easy to get discouraged when schools don't seem to be vibing with you in-person. Anyways, I hope the rest of you all are still pulling through this app cycle okay.

Hi friends,

Feeling a bit down today as I've just been rejected from my state school :( This is a few weeks after being waitlisted from my hometown school.

I have the last of my 3 II in mid Dec and it's at a T20 (honestly still can't believe I got the II). I was hoping to have an A to hold onto to make me feel a bit more relaxed but now I'm extremely nervous that I'll somehow mess this one up too. Any advice for how to calm down / better prepare? I wish we got interview feedback with Rs so that I would have a better idea of what went wrong but now i'm just second guessing everything.

I used to consider myself a pretty confident person but its so easy to get discouraged when schools don't seem to be vibing with you in-person. Anyways, I hope the rest of you all are still pulling through this app cycle okay.

Don't feel discouraged! It is not over yet! You have another interview coming up and I am sure with proper preparation you will ace it. Have you tried to do a mock interview with someone? I think sometimes that helps to get through the nerves and work though different questions. You got this, What is meant for you no one can take away!

• Love
I have the last of my 3 II in mid Dec and it's at a T20 (honestly still can't believe I got the II). I was hoping to have an A to hold onto to make me feel a bit more relaxed but now I'm extremely nervous that I'll somehow mess this one up too. Any advice for how to calm down / better prepare?

Vandy? I interviewed there. Happy to help you prep!!

• Love
Don't feel discouraged! It is not over yet! You have another interview coming up and I am sure with proper preparation you will ace it. Have you tried to do a mock interview with someone? I think sometimes that helps to get through the nerves and work though different questions. You got this, What is meant for you no one can take away!
Yeah you're right - I've done a few mock interviews with friends and current professors and its definitely helped me better prepare my answers. I think a big part of the anxiety stems from the fact that I don't know anyone else applying this cycle so sometimes it feels like I'm just on my own over here. But truly, SDN and r/premed have been really great communities of support, especially threads like this one. I'm always happy when I see someone on here get that A :)

I usually just PM people if I see that they interviewed somewhere I did and had questions. Just thought I would put this out there, but feel free to PM me about my school list and which schools gave me IIs/As. I'll leave my stats in my signature for next cycle if they got Qs.

Y’all I just got into medical school.... with my stats. It goes to show that stats aren’t everything. I’m going to be a doctor y’all I’m shaking.....

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
Y’all I just got into medical school.... with my stats. It goes to show that stats aren’t everything. I’m going to be a doctor y’all I’m shaking.....

Woohooooo!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations. So happy for you

Hey y’all! Just found this thread today so I wanted to share some encouragement! After 4 years of applying, I finally got an offer (idk how when I read all of y’all amazing stats lol)!!! Looking back I could’ve done a lot of things differently and gotten in sooner, but all I know is I’m finally gonna be a doctor lol. Anyway, I just wanted to encourage y’all to keep working! I know how hard it is to wait, but keep grinding and a school will see your drive! Can’t wait see more of us becoming doctors! If you wanna know my stats or whatever, just PM and let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Hey URM CREW!

Just got a II from UVM LCOM!!! Are there any URMs who have/had one from here too? Any tips/advice you based on your experience? Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
Hey URM CREW!

Just got a II from UVM LCOM!!! Are there any URMs who have/had one from here too? Any tips/advice you based on your experience? Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
yes, I have. interview day was amazing. you read an article during lunch that is specifically dedicated to the disparities minorities experience in medicine. I definitely felt valued at this school. my advice is do your research on the history of the school before interview. Just be yourself.

Hey guys, applied to Indiana and got s II. Was wondering if anybody had any tips for IU as well.

Hey guys, applied to Indiana and got s II. Was wondering if anybody had any tips for IU as well.
I interviewed at Indiana as well, my interview was very laid back. My advice is to look at the paperwork they give you on interview day very closely make sure you are where your suppose to be. they kind of leave you on your own at some points to find out where your suppose to go. But they do provide you a map. I would say same thing, be yourself, this is the most laid back interview I've had, honestly.

I interviewed at Indiana as well, my interview was very laid back. My advice is to look at the paperwork they give you on interview day very closely make sure you are where your suppose to be. they kind of leave you on your own at some points to find out where your suppose to go. But they do provide you a map. I would say same thing, be yourself, this is the most laid back interview I've had, honestly.

I have 2 friends who attended and told me it was high stress with ethical questions. I guess I'll just have to prepare either way. I'm so excited. My sister went to Notre Dame and I'm familiar with the city as well as the city of other campuses.

I hope I get in, a lot of their physicians are doing incredible work within the same space I hope to in the future so it'd be great to have that mentorship.

I have 2 friends who attended and told me it was high stress with ethical questions. I guess I'll just have to prepare either way. I'm so excited. My sister went to Notre Dame and I'm familiar with the city as well as the city of other campuses.

I hope I get in, a lot of their physicians are doing incredible work within the same space I hope to in the future so it'd be great to have that mentorship.
really? I guess since its 1-on-1 it could go either way depending who you get...yes its a very strong program. Good luck!

really? I guess since its 1-on-1 it could go either way depending who you get...yes its a very strong program. Good luck!
I had a 2 on 1 interview and it was half general questions and half ethical questions. This was my first interview, so I felt a bit stressed but also remember to say "Do you mind if I take a moment" to think before you answer. Overall, I enjoyed the interview day and Indianapolis was cooler than I initially thought.

Just like any interview, look at the school's mission and what makes them unique then tie that into your application to show why you are a perfect fit.

Hi guys, I have always had this question but never asked, is a muslim female (visibly muslim due to the headscarf) considered to be an URM?
It is traditionally defined by ethnicity on the application to my knowledge. However, you can definitely talk about how your identity and experiences make you unique and contribute to school diversity.

Hi guys, I have always had this question but never asked, is a muslim female (visibly muslim due to the headscarf) considered to be an URM?
According to AAMC's definition and clarification (2003 and 2004 respectively), you are not considered as URM.

You can check with the diversity and inclusion offices of each school you're applying to. You could be considered a diverse applicant due to religious affiliation.

For more info, check the SDN URM thread's main discussion on this (1st post). Also, check out the AAMC breakdown here:

Last edited:
Does anyone know if general post-II acceptance rates are the same for applicants with URM status?

Hi Fellow URMs! I was wondering if you all have any tips for writing/adressing the Diversity essay as an URM? I know they say give examples, but how so integrate our diversity with examples? I feel that my examples would be better suited for the challenges secondary? I am applying next cycle so any tips would be very helpful!

Hi Fellow URMs! I was wondering if you all have any tips for writing/adressing the Diversity essay as an URM? I know they say give examples, but how so integrate our diversity with examples? I feel that my examples would be better suited for the challenges secondary? I am applying next cycle so any tips would be very helpful!
I think that they expect you to talk about being a minority in that essay if you are one, but I utilized that space to talk about my experiences with other cultures, my experience in South Africa, the LGBTQ community etc. Basically I talked about every other culture besides my own b/c its important to show that you can relate to others who are different from you. That's what they are looking for, don't take the shortcut.

• Love
I think that they expect you to talk about being a minority in that essay if you are one, but I utilized that space to talk about my experiences with other cultures, my experience in South Africa, the LGBTQ community etc. Basically I talked about every other culture besides my own b/c its important to show that you can relate to others who are different from you. That's what they are looking for, don't take the shortcut.

I like this a lot and think this a great take...diversity shouldn't be all about you (i.e. I'm special because I'm a, b, c, d, e, and f...). I personally talked about one of my past experiences/background and how that experience has informed and improved my interactions with others both similar and different from myself since then

Hello love this thread,

I'm applying the 2020-21 cycle, wondering if anyone did an SMP?
Did admissions combine both undergrad and grad GPAs, or focus more on the upward trend?

Also if you don't mind sharing your stats and acceptances thus far.

Thank you!!

Hello love this thread,

I'm applying the 2020-21 cycle, wondering if anyone did an SMP?
Did admissions combine both undergrad and grad GPAs, or focus more on the upward trend?

Also if you don't mind sharing your stats and acceptances thus far.

Thank you!!

Grad GPA will always be separated from undergrad GPA. An upward trend will look great!

Grad GPA will always be separated from undergrad GPA. An upward trend will look great!

Thank you!!
I'm especially nervous about the MCAT delays. AACOM has already released a statement saying they will extend interviews prior to receiving MCAT scores so I feel like my undergrad GPA is going to be considered more, rather than my SMP GPA with my MCAT score to get that interview.

Thank you!!
I'm especially nervous about the MCAT delays. AACOM has already released a statement saying they will extend interviews prior to receiving MCAT scores so I feel like my undergrad GPA is going to be considered more, rather than my SMP GPA with my MCAT score to get that interview.

Why would that news make you speculate anything about the weight of your SMP gpa? That gpa is the most important as it’s supposed to prove that you can handle the rigor of medical school material.

Why would that news make you speculate anything about the weight of your SMP gpa? That gpa is the most important as it’s supposed to prove that you can handle the rigor of medical school material.

More like I saw the MCAT as another way to bolster my application and "prove myself", and I worry that when taking the MCAT out of the equation, an upward trend wouldn't be as strong as an application that already has a strong undergraduate GPA.

But it sounds like you are suggesting that they are of similar value and if that's the case, I shouldn't worry about not having the MCAT at the time of submission?

More like I saw the MCAT as another way to bolster my application and "prove myself", and I worry that when taking the MCAT out of the equation, an upward trend wouldn't be as strong as an application that already has a strong undergraduate GPA.

But it sounds like you are suggesting that they are of similar value and if that's the case, I shouldn't worry about not having the MCAT at the time of submission?

I still think we have to wait and see what, if any, changes will be made to the MD admissions cycle. As far as I know, only DO schools have announced that they will proceed without an MCAT but may require it before matriculation. I’d defer to the experts at that point as I know MCAT is key is building a school list in the first place. Either way, your SMP gpa is the gpa that matters most. I wouldn’t worry about comparing your app to an applicant that didn’t do an SMP as there’s nothing you can do to change it. It is what it is.

Hello fellow URMs! Love the energy in this thread :--). Congrats on all of the great work you guys are doing!
I wanted to reach out, and see if any of you guys had any advice on cultivating a balanced school list? From the advice I've gotten here on SDN, it seems like I have a solid mid-tier app, but also an app that may make it worth applying to a few higher tier schools. Frankly, I have no idea what to do with that. I guess that I fear not sufficiently shooting my shot, or vice versa, overly shooting my shot. Any words of wisdom perhaps on how the distribution of schools should look like. Personally, I am not trying to apply to any more than 30 schools. My WARS score is like a 75-81. Did any of you use WARS to make your lists? Do you think it was useful?

Hello fellow URMs! Love the energy in this thread :--). Congrats on all of the great work you guys are doing!
I wanted to reach out, and see if any of you guys had any advice on cultivating a balanced school list? From the advice I've gotten here on SDN, it seems like I have a solid mid-tier app, but also an app that may make it worth applying to a few higher tier schools. Frankly, I have no idea what to do with that. I guess that I fear not sufficiently shooting my shot, or vice versa, overly shooting my shot. Any words of wisdom perhaps on how the distribution of schools should look like. Personally, I am not trying to apply to any more than 30 schools. My WARS score is like a 75-81. Did any of you use WARS to make your lists? Do you think it was useful?

30 is a lot! If you are trying to save money I would shoot for 20-25. Also have to remember that you need to do secondaries for all of these schools which can be time consuming. I'll give general guidelines for different scenarios:

30 schools:
15 "reaches" 10 "matches" 5 "safety/state school"

25 schools:
10 "reaches" 10 "matches" 5 "safety" state school"

20 schools:

8 "reaches" 9"matches" 5 "safety/state school"

schools to target for potential scolarships: OUWB, Temple, UCLA, Quinnipac are some that come to my mind.
Don't sell yourself short but also have a solid base! I think you will have a solid cycle. Best of luck! :)

I agree with the advice above but I wanted to add my experience as well so you have more data points. I applied to about 35 schools, which in hindsight was definitely overkill, but if I were to do it again I would probably do it the same. I personally don't like risk, so I wanted to make sure I was going to only apply once. I think if you can afford it, you should apply to as many schools as you reasonably can (emphasis on reasonable...so ~30 as you're suggesting is fine IMO).

As for WARS, I think that it slightly overestimated my school list chances but nothing egregious. I would use it with caution and go more so with the advice that was given above! Good luck and please PM me if you need any help or anything!

I suggest you post in the WAMC forum. Goro and Faha were instrumental in helping me create a well-rounded school list. You can also PM them the relevant info if you're shy.