***2019-2020 URM Medical School Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the info! What if our MCAT is decent, say 513ish. With the URM 4-6 point boost can we now consider T20's?

Oh of course lol. But...I'm not an expert on this lol. I think the score is fine though. a 513 is only slightly lower than what I got (a 515) and I interviewed at or was invited to interview at half of them.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh of course lol. But...I'm not an expert on this lol. I think the score is fine though. a 513 is only slightly lower than what I got (a 515) and I interviewed at or was invited to interview at half of them.
Do you mind sharing which schools invited you for interviews with a 515??

cGPA: 3.82 and sGPA: 3.73
MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 503 (127/125/125/126) RETESTING ON Aug. 31
State of residence: Florida
Ethnicity and/or race: Hispanic female
Nontraditional - just one gap year (I am now a reapplicant :()
Clinical experience - Work - Just started a job as a scribe for my local ED. Volunteer:.... none, hoping to add many hours during this gap year
Research experience - 400 hours of organic chemistry, 2 posters, no pubs :(
Shadowing experience: 50 hours with a medical examiner (super interesting stuff pals)
Non-clinical volunteering -again... none. Hoping to volunteer with hurricane relief (the panhandle is still in shambles after Michael)
Other extracurricular activities - Teaching: I was a TA for an organic chemistry lab Leadership: Multiple leadership positions in a science club (and got a Letter of Rec from it)
Anything else not listed you think might be important - Fee assistance program recipient, SES EO1, first gen college student
Aspirations in Medicine - Pediatrics :)

Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA: 3.82 and sGPA: 3.73
MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 503 (127/125/125/126) RETESTING ON Aug. 31
Ethnicity and/or race: Hispanic female
Nontraditional - just one gap year (I am now a reapplicant :()
Clinical experience - Work - Just started a job as a scribe for my local ED. Volunteer:.... none, hoping to add many hours during this gap year
Research experience - 400 hours of organic chemistry, 2 posters, no pubs :(
Shadowing experience: 50 hours with a medical examiner (super interesting stuff pals)
Non-clinical volunteering -again... none. Hoping to volunteer with hurricane relief (the panhandle is still in shambles after Michael)
Other extracurricular activities - Teaching: I was a TA for an organic chemistry lab Leadership: Multiple leadership positions in a science club (and got a Letter of Rec from it)
Anything else not listed you think might be important - Fee assistance program recipient, SES EO1, first gen college student
Aspirations in Medicine - Pediatrics :)
Some friendly advice: your MCAT and lack of pubs aren’t your red flags. Shadowing (adcoms generally like to see primary care) and non-clinical volunteering are probably what’s going to hold you back

Some friendly advice: your MCAT and lack of pubs aren’t your red flags. Shadowing (adcoms generally like to see primary care) and non-clinical volunteering are probably what’s going to hold you back

Yeah, that's why I intend to focus on some volunteering this year and send in update letters when I can. I also think that working as a scribe can help counter my medical examiner shadowing!

With how much I had to work in undergrad and study, I didn't have time for volunteering and it's really biting me in the butt now.

Is it possible to receive an interview the day after submitting your secondary?

technically yes, but it's unlikely, why?

Just happened to me. Trying to be happy but obviously cant feel like it was a mistake. I think my secondary essay was really unique but grades wise I am not overqualified or anything

Reactions: 2 users
That happened to me. Ended up being waitlisted at the school but it was my very first interview so I was nervous anyway. Do your best. I'm sure u deserved it so dont worry to much

Edit: Should have tagged @kellyk12 lol

Last edited:
Just happened to me. Trying to be happy but obviously cant feel like it was a mistake. I think my secondary essay was really unique but grades wise I am not overqualified or anything
Oh that's awesome!!! Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you ! I booked the flight and everything so I’m telling myself it’s real now haha

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Hi Everyone! Grateful to find this thread! I was wondering if I can get any feedback on my current circumstances.
By now, I have applied once before and taken the MCAT once before(both done at a time when I was far from ready). Since then, I completed an SMP. My smp gpa was a 3.5(-/+grades all A- with a few A's and 3 B's). My ugpa was a 3.0 flat but after AMCAS input I believe it goes down to 2.8/2.9. I am a URM: female, mexican-american, first-generation.

I had full intention of taking the mcat july but had issues with my hand which delayed my mcat studying. I am now maybe about a week's worth of studying or slightly more for MCAT but looking to retake it this second time either 8/31 or 9/6. I wanted to inquire if this is too late. I can submit my primary early-mid-august latest (need to make some minor edits but it's mostly done). But, I wouldn't be complete until the release date which is either Oct 1 or Oct 8. I have not taken a full length yet but I did take one section for B/B ( didnt finish it yet) but got 38/43 questions correct this is pre-real studying.

The other thing is I have to work but my work is part-time and flexible where I can work 4 hours a day and rest devote to studying.

I really don't want to wait another year to apply. It's been a long journey and I've sacrificed so much up to this point. I don't want to be overly optimistic nor pessimistic either. I've seen threads write that urm status will help even if one is on the late side, especially if I do well on the MCAT. For reference, the first time I took it and was not ready I scored a flat 500.

As for the rest of my app, I have 2 second-author unique applications and a lot of clinical experience in different specialties after working.

In short: I'd be complete early-mid october. Is it worth the risk if I think I have a good chance of doign decently on MCAT this second time? I could pre-write secondaries all of september as well.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone! Grateful to find this thread! I was wondering if I can get any feedback on my current circumstances.
By now, I have applied once before and taken the MCAT once before(both done at a time when I was far from ready). Since then, I completed an SMP. My smp gpa was a 3.5(-/+grades all A- with a few A's and 3 B's). My ugpa was a 3.0 flat but after AMCAS input I believe it goes down to 2.8/2.9. I am a URM: female, mexican-american, first-generation.

I had full intention of taking the mcat july but had issues with my hand which delayed my mcat studying. I am now maybe about a week's worth of studying or slightly more for MCAT but looking to retake it this second time either 8/31 or 9/6. I wanted to inquire if this is too late. I can submit my primary early-mid-august latest (need to make some minor edits but it's mostly done). But, I wouldn't be complete until the release date which is either Oct 1 or Oct 8. I have not taken a full length yet but I did take one section for B/B ( didnt finish it yet) but got 38/43 questions correct this is pre-real studying.

The other thing is I have to work but my work is part-time and flexible where I can work 4 hours a day and rest devote to studying.

I really don't want to wait another year to apply. It's been a long journey and I've sacrificed so much up to this point. I don't want to be overly optimistic nor pessimistic either. I've seen threads write that urm status will help even if one is on the late side, especially if I do well on the MCAT. For reference, the first time I took it and was not ready I scored a flat 500.

As for the rest of my app, I have 2 second-author unique applications and a lot of clinical experience in different specialties after working.

In short: I'd be complete early-mid october. Is it worth the risk if I think I have a good chance of doign decently on MCAT this second time? I could pre-write secondaries all of september as well.

Thank you in advance!

I know you may not want to hear this, but I think you may need to consider sticking this year out. A late application + low GPA may hinder you. You just never know how your MCAT turns out. I think URM helps but I personally think you should go in with your best foot forward since you are re-applying. Or you could wait to see how your practice tests are turning out before deciding to apply. I think it is a little too early in your studying to tell how it will be.

Whatever you decide. I wish you luck with your cycle. Also, feel free to not listen to me lol. I'm not an expert or a committee member lol.

Thank you in advance!

I would agree with PursuingHappy in that you may need to wait another year to apply. I understand that you've worked hard to get to where you are now, but what you don't want is to rush into a cycle and then end up being a reapplicant later. The fact that you don't know your new MCAT score yet and have no reliable way of predicting that at the moment makes this a risk, plus the fact that October is pretty late to be considered complete in addition to a low GPA. I think the best thing you can do is take the time to study for the MCAT without the pressure of trying to submit this cycle and continue working to build your resume over the year so that you can apply earlier and with a stronger application next year.

Of course, take everything I'm saying with a grain of salt since I am a current applicant and certainly not an expert on admissions. Feel free to PM me if you wanna talk more or want any MCAT or other tips. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Reactions: 1 users

Thank you in advance!
You have a 500. No need to retake the MCAT. Apply broadly and you will see success. I also had a 3.5/500 and recieved 6 II’s, 2 A. It’s definitely too late for another retake, if you choose to go that route.

Could someone help me with a general school list? So far I have:

UC Riverside (am from the Inland Empire)
Loma Linda University (am SDA)
California University of Science and Medicine
Kaiser

cGPA: 3.68 and sGPA: 3.43
MCAT score(s) and breakdown: Scoring 504-508 on FLs, taking it August.
State of residence: Southern California
Ethnicity and/or race: Hispanic male (fully bilingual lived in Puerto Rico ~5 years)
Nontraditional: Gap year (my alma mater gave me a scholarship to pursue my MBA in Healthcare Management so I took the offer)
Clinical volunteering: ~500+ hours volunteering at underserved clinics
Non-clinical volunteering: ~250+ hours working with my school's volunteering organization
Research experience: ~500+ hours of measuring the effects of glucose on bone-like cells, 1 poster (presented it at the Experimental Biology conference), no pubs :/
Work: ~150 hours, currently working at a medical clinic helping with IT & Management.
Shadowing experience: ~200 hours split mostly even between a family physician and internal medicine physician (shadowed a plastic surgeon for like 5 hrs lol so I didn't bother putting it in my primary)
Teaching: ~250 hrs Tutored Chem/Physics/Math at our universities tutoring center
Leadership: President of the university's Latino Student Union (2yrs), Financial VP of Business Club & Hispanic Business Incubator, Student Body Senator, and Mentor/Leader for the universities freshman orientation program.
Extracurricular activities: Intramural Sport, Music Production
Other: Really interested in pursuing primary care and working in low-socioeconomic/underserved communities, so any schools that encourage that would be helpful!

Last edited:
cGPA: 3.89
sGPA: 3.87
Mcat: 512
URM: AA female
Clinical Experience
Volunteer: 50 hrs at rural clinic; 60 hrs at HIV clinic
Paid: 550 hrs as PCT for Emergency Room
Shadowing
Pediatrics: 20 hr
Neurology: 20 hr
Internal Medicine: 20 hrs
Non-Clinical Volunteering
250 hours - homeless women's shelter
75 hours - tax preparer for low income families
60 hours - mentoring disadvantaged children going through emotional and familial stress
Research
600 hours - Clinical HIV lab
(1 thesis, 1 first author publication in review, 2 mid author publications, and 2 first author posters)
150 hours - Clinical Osteoarthritis Lab
Leadership
200 hrs - President of Community Service Club (started health education outreach program for underprivileged girls and their mothers during my time as president)
Non-Clinical Work
1200 hrs - Student assistant for Biobanking lab
Other ECs
60 hours - Mental health peer educator
Hobbies: Drawing and Martial arts (I don’t have an awards or done anything extraordinary with these. Just things I do in my free time)
Aspirations in Medicine
I want to work with underserved/underrepresented in medicine and pursue some clinical research on improving minority health. I am looking for schools that provide both research and clinical experience in the community.

Schools I am interested in:
UAB, USA, Morehouse, Meharry, Emory, and UChicago(super reach)

I need recommendations for schools to apply to with my stats.

Edit: I had a drop in GPA due to senior year.
ma'am with these scores please apply broadly and higher. Yout stats are amazing

cGPA: 3.5
Undergrad sGPA: 2.6 (2 classes my first and second year and stopped and planned for PB)
PostBac sGPA: 3.49
Mcat: 507 (one time only)
URM: AA female, 25

Clinical Experience
Volunteer: Ugandan hospitals and fathers clinic for 6 years - every December
Paid: over 3000 hours (EMT/Clinical Admin)

Shadowing
140 hours
Cards
Emergency Med
Internal
Clinic - GI

Non-Clinical Volunteering
Began non profit arts program in underserved community (2 years active)
Several student organizations I led

Research
significant research hours: 4,752
thesis, 1 second author pub in abstract and poster.
over 6 years of time.

Leadership
President of 3 advocacy/mentorship organizations through college,

Hobbies: Dance, music, Afro cultural activities.

Aspirations in Medicine
Hoping to do public health work abroad.
Applying to several MSTP programs.

Schools I am interested in:
*- MD and MD PHD
** - MD/PHD only

Harvard**
Yale*
Columbia
Duke**
NYU
Northwestern*
UPenn
UNC**
Emory
Boston University
Albert Einstein*
Cornell
UChicago
UAB**
UTMB**
GWU
Dartmouth
Brown
Temple
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Meharry
Morehouse
Geisinger
Howard
NYMC

Random notes:
sorry - I cleared my two instate schools for privacy reasons.
My undergrad and post bac program was ivy. (which is worth mentioning I'm told)
My pre med advisor was very confident with my list and pushed the top heavy schools. She's been in the game for 30+ years so I trusted her judgments and reasoning (she knew I would want to be somewhere with strong public health curricula). I then tried to apply a bit broadly for safety. I'm also trying to stay on the East Coast (family kept me alive and that won't change now!)
Also my partner intends on moving with me

Could someone help me with a general school list? So far I have:

UC Riverside (am from the Inland Empire)
Loma Linda University (am SDA)
California University of Science and Medicine
Kaiser

cGPA: 3.68 and sGPA: 3.43
MCAT score(s) and breakdown: Scoring 504-508 on FLs, taking it August.
State of residence: Southern California
Ethnicity and/or race: Hispanic male (fully bilingual lived in Puerto Rico ~5 years)
Nontraditional: Gap year (my alma mater gave me a scholarship to pursue my MBA in Healthcare Management so I took the offer)
Clinical volunteering: ~500+ hours volunteering at underserved clinics
Non-clinical volunteering: ~250+ hours working with my school's volunteering organization
Research experience: ~500+ hours of measuring the effects of glucose on bone-like cells, 1 poster (presented it at the Experimental Biology conference), no pubs :/
Work: ~150 hours, currently working at a medical clinic helping with IT & Management.
Shadowing experience: ~200 hours split mostly even between a family physician and internal medicine physician (shadowed a plastic surgeon for like 5 hrs lol so I didn't bother putting it in my primary)
Teaching: ~250 hrs Tutored Chem/Physics/Math at our universities tutoring center
Leadership: President of the university's Latino Student Union (2yrs), Financial VP of Business Club & Hispanic Business Incubator, Student Body Senator, and Mentor/Leader for the universities freshman orientation program.
Extracurricular activities: Intramural Sport, Music Production
Other: Really interested in pursuing primary care and working in low-socioeconomic/underserved communities, so any schools that encourage that would be helpful!

even though you seem to be more on the west coast - i would recc. looking into NYU Langone Medical if interested in primary care.

AA female
cGPA :3.4, sGPA :3.1 upward trend for both and drop in gpa well explained in personal statement.
lots of leadership, volunteer (clinical and non-clinical) experiences
over 1000 clinical hours
MCAT: 492 ( i know it's terrible) retaking Aug.9th hoping for >500
list:
East Virginia (EVMS)
Tennessee (UTHSC)
Quillen (ETSU)
Virginia commonwealth (VCU)
Kentucky (UKY- Lexington)

goal: work in rural or low-income area

Do I even have a chance?
not interested in DO schools.

AA female
cGPA :3.4, sGPA :3.1 upward trend for both and drop in gpa well explained in personal statement.
lots of leadership, volunteer (clinical and non-clinical) experiences
over 1000 clinical hours
MCAT: 492 ( i know it's terrible) retaking Aug.9th hoping for >500
list:
East Virginia (EVMS)
Tennessee (UTHSC)
Quillen (ETSU)
Virginia commonwealth (VCU)
Kentucky (UKY- Lexington)

goal: work in rural or low-income area

Do I even have a chance?
not interested in DO schools.
Still apply, but have a very short list til you get that MCAT back. If you want to go MD, you may have to go via the post back route (which is perfectly ok). Put the HBCU’s and Ohio State University on your list

Still apply, but have a very short list til you get that MCAT back. If you want to go MD, you may have to go via the post back route (which is perfectly ok). Put the HBCU’s and Ohio State University on your list

I agree - MCAT will determine adding to your list. Add the HBCU's. Best of luck!

Hey everyone! Didn't think I would post, been a lurker for a while. Applied to 52 schools (wallet is crying) with some top 20's but mostly low/mid-tier schools. Have been pretty nervous about the whole ordeal. Seeing if anyone has any thoughts are on a similar page with me. Wishing everyone the best of luck!

cGPA: 3.22 and sGPA: 3.43
MCAT score and breakdown: 507 (130/125/126/126)
Ethnicity and/or race: Hispanic male (fully bilingual)
Nontraditional: 2 gap years, work as a cardiac device specialist for Abbott in Miami
Major: Biomedical Engineering (top 3 program)
Clinical volunteering: (170 hours) fundraising chairman for Volunteers Around the World, raised money to send medical supplies to the Dominican Republic / volunteered in the DR for one week at health clinics.
Non-clinical volunteering: (300 hours) community service coordinater for my fraternity, various events including a campus-wide blood drive / philanthropic consulting for local small business with a campus organization
Research experience: (750 hours) extensive research experience in a nanotechnology lab working with microneedle patches. 1 poster, 1 IRB clinical trial, no publication
Work: (9500 hours) summer internship with chemical engineering company / 2 years as ER scribe in hospital in an underserved area / 2 years with Abbott helping electrophysiologists in procedures
Shadowing experience: (70 hours) spent one-week shadowing multiple doctors at a hospital in Colombia
Leadership: (1170 hours) spent 4 years as a mentor, tutor and a student ambassador for diversity department on campus / social chairman of my fraternity / class president of my fraternity
Extracurricular activities: soccer, working on a startup idea, travel
Aspirations: Really interested in cardiology, underserved community service, and research

Hey guys looking for input and advice:

Demographics: Cuban heritage (parents) but born in Spain.
immigrated to US when 7
male
parents were physicians

Double major: Health Science (honors), Pre-professional Biology
State of Residence: Florida
Numbers: cGPA=3.97, sGPA: 3.965, MCAT: 516

Research:
1. Clinical Research on affects of drug and alcholo on emotional/cognitive processing= 300hrs
2. Quantiative/Wet Lab Research on Glioblastoma treatment via unique delivery system w/ Cannabinoids (thesis project)= 400+hrs

Clinical Volunteering:
1. Involved at a local clinic where I do intake (vitals/gather infor to present to provider), translate for spanish patients, scribe and follow up on A&Ps= 450+hrs
2. Volunteer on a hematology and oncology pediatric unit where I provide pallative care for patients and their families= 350+ hrs

Leadership
1. Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-Health Honor Society: I have been a director here for 4 semester (two years). 2 semesters I was the director of the pediatrics division where I organized and lead over 70hrs of community service with local organizations including Hospitals (450hrs+)
2. Organic Chemistry TA: I was an organic chemistry TA from freshman year to junior year. Wrote worksheets, held lecture hall reviews, had office hours and graded exams (250hrs +)
3. Ambassador for my college (50 hrs +)

Poster Presentations
1. Literature review on my thesis project that was presented to the honors program students and staff
2. LGBTQ+ Poster on the physiological affects of male to female transitioning in the reproductive system as well as the social implications that was presented at an LGBTQ+ confrence

Shadowing
1. Director of Bariatric Surgery (35hrs)
2. Pediatric Surgeon (15hrs)
3. Interventional Radiologist (15hrs)

Hobbies
on AMCAS I wrote about how I enjoy cooking, and how I ride/fix/work on motorcycles as my hobby to relax

Adversity
Balanced a difficult family life during college since both parents were diagnosed with cancer during this time

School List
Florida schools: UF, USF, UCF, FSU, FAU, FIU, UM
Out of State Schools: George Washington (DC), Emory (GA), Vanderbilt, NYU (both of their programs),

This is my list of schools as of right now but I am not sure how realistic any or all of them are. I was hoping to see what you guys thought my chances were at the OOS ones. So far I have applied to all the instate except UM. Do you guys think that the OOS listed are in reach for me? Also I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on what other schools I should add to my list. I want to apply to at least 20 schools but I do not know which others I should add. Any thoughts/comments/recommendations would be much appreciated!

Would love any input/advice:
cGPA: 3.33
sGPA: 3.24
SMP GPA: TBD, starting in a few weeks
MCAT: 505
Demographics: Hispanic/Latino (Central American), Male, LGBTQ+, First Generation, FAP
Nontraditional: Returning after a career in dance
Major: Biology
State of Residence: Texas

Clinical Experience/Paid: Medical scribe for 4 years (Emergency Department, Urgent Care, and Outpatient Ortho, >3000 hours)
Clinical Experience/Volunteer: Infusion Center and Inpatient Ortho (40 hours) and volunteer clinical research internship (~800 hours)
Non-Clinical Volunteer: Taught dance to students ranging from middle school to college ages (>50 hours) and guest super bowl performer
Shadowing: Radiation oncologist at an academic center (<50 hours)
Research: One year of clinical research - contributed to an invited review article and will be starting an additional year funded by a diversity supplement.
Leadership: Certified scribe trainer, Genetics Lab TA during undergrad, and mentor to younger dancers while on a competitive tour.
Other: Member of the International Association for Dance Medicine and Science, interested in Primary Care and Emergency Medicine.
Applying to TMDSAS, AMCAS, and AACOMAS.

cGPA: 3.1 and sGPA: 3.0 (AACOMAS, still waiting on AMCAS verification)
MCAT score and breakdown: 502 (125/125/125/127) on third time :/
State of residence: Maryland
Ethnicity and/or race: AA female
Nontraditional: 3 gap years, completed part of a post-bacc program in Vermont but left for financial reason
Major: Community Health
Clinical experience: ~4000 hours in a FQHC in Vermont as a medical assistant. Working in primary care, pediatrics, OB/GYN, and acute care. ~1500 hours in dermatology office as a medical assistant. A lot of hands on experience.
Non-clinical volunteering: (500 hours) in New York hospital, contributing to visits in the ED and training other volunteers on delivering compassionate bedside care. Starting volunteer work this summer as a teaching fellow with a girls health education program which I am very excited about!
Research experience: (1000 hours) extensive research experience in reproductive medicine. Performing immunohistochemical nerve staining and ligation projects on uterine arteries of rats. Assisted in publication of research presented at national conference of reproductive investigation
Shadowing experience: (~3000 hours) during my clinical work experiences, assisting in the surgical removals of skin cancers, performing biopsies, cosmetic procedures
Leadership: Starting a leadership role as a teaching fellow hoping to impact the lives of young women and girls in underserved communities to be empowered and advocates of their bodies.
Extracurricular activities: Division 1 student athlete, four year starter, earned full scholarship sophomore year during a financially difficult time, 2 conference championships, 2 NCAA appearances
Aspirations: Really passionate about OB/Gyn specifically treating gynecological cancers. Also want to work in urban underserved communities specifically with minority women to provide reproductive education w/ a public health focus.

I think the major down side of my application is my gpa, I feel like the AMCAS calculation will be especially a blow to the places I wish to apply d/t cut offs. If anyone has any suggestions on places to apply with my stats or if I'm in over my head that would be great.

I've applied to these schools so far:
UMD
Howard
Morehouse
Meharry
GWU
NYU- Long Island: for the focus on OB/Gyn
UofA - phoenix
Hofstra
Eastern Virginia
LSU
Marshall

NSUCOM
MSUCOM
Touro - Harlem
PCOM - Philadelphia
NYIT - Old Westbury
Please ask the more experienced admins for advice. Your list of schools...

Hello, I am a third year medical student black female I am a single mother my stats when I applied
MCAT:499
uGPA: 2.9
I am now in my third year of medical school and want to let you know it’s possible stay positive I’m praying for you all feel free to ask me anything

Reactions: 13 users
cGPA: 3.1 and sGPA: 3.0 (AACOMAS, still waiting on AMCAS verification)
MCAT score and breakdown: 502 (125/125/125/127) on third time :/
State of residence: Maryland
Ethnicity and/or race: AA female
Nontraditional: 3 gap years, completed part of a post-bacc program in Vermont but left for financial reason
Major: Community Health
Clinical experience: ~4000 hours in a FQHC in Vermont as a medical assistant. Working in primary care, pediatrics, OB/GYN, and acute care. ~1500 hours in dermatology office as a medical assistant. A lot of hands on experience.
Non-clinical volunteering: (500 hours) in New York hospital, contributing to visits in the ED and training other volunteers on delivering compassionate bedside care. Starting volunteer work this summer as a teaching fellow with a girls health education program which I am very excited about!
Research experience: (1000 hours) extensive research experience in reproductive medicine. Performing immunohistochemical nerve staining and ligation projects on uterine arteries of rats. Assisted in publication of research presented at national conference of reproductive investigation
Shadowing experience: (~3000 hours) during my clinical work experiences, assisting in the surgical removals of skin cancers, performing biopsies, cosmetic procedures
Leadership: Starting a leadership role as a teaching fellow hoping to impact the lives of young women and girls in underserved communities to be empowered and advocates of their bodies.
Extracurricular activities: Division 1 student athlete, four year starter, earned full scholarship sophomore year during a financially difficult time, 2 conference championships, 2 NCAA appearances
Aspirations: Really passionate about OB/Gyn specifically treating gynecological cancers. Also want to work in urban underserved communities specifically with minority women to provide reproductive education w/ a public health focus.

I think the major down side of my application is my gpa, I feel like the AMCAS calculation will be especially a blow to the places I wish to apply d/t cut offs. If anyone has any suggestions on places to apply with my stats or if I'm in over my head that would be great.

I've applied to these schools so far:
UMD
Howard
Morehouse
Meharry
GWU
NYU- Long Island: for the focus on OB/Gyn
UofA - phoenix
Hofstra
Eastern Virginia
LSU
Marshall

NSUCOM
MSUCOM
Touro - Harlem
PCOM - Philadelphia
NYIT - Old Westbury
I suggest adding many more DO schools to your list and I suggest these:
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
On your MD list LSU and UA Phoenix accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state.
You could add these MD schools:
West Virginia
Drexel
Temple
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
TCU-UNT

Would love any input/advice:
cGPA: 3.33
sGPA: 3.24
SMP GPA: TBD, starting in a few weeks
MCAT: 505
Demographics: Hispanic/Latino (Central American), Male, LGBTQ+, First Generation, FAP
Nontraditional: Returning after a career in dance
State of Residence: Texas

Clinical Experience/Paid: Medical scribe for 4 years (Emergency Department, Urgent Care, and Outpatient Ortho, >3000 hours)
Clinical Experience/Volunteer: Infusion Center and Inpatient Ortho (40 hours) and volunteer clinical research internship (~800 hours)
Non-Clinical Volunteer: Taught dance to students ranging from middle school to college ages (>50 hours) and guest super bowl performer
Shadowing: Radiation oncologist at an academic center (<50 hours)
Research: One year of clinical research - contributed to an invited review article and will be starting an additional year funded by a diversity supplement.
Leadership: Certified scribe trainer, Genetics Lab TA during undergrad, and mentor to younger dancers while on a competitive tour.
Other: Member of the International Association for Dance Medicine and Science, interested in Primary Care and Emergency Medicine.
Applying to TMDSAS, AMCAS, and AACOMAS.
When are you planning to apply ?

I suggest adding many more DO schools to your list and I suggest these:
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
On your MD list LSU and UA Phoenix accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state.
You could add these MD schools:
West Virginia
Drexel
Temple
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
TCU-UNT

Thank you so much for your help!

Your stats are killer. However you asked about OOS.

In my experience as a Hispanic not in Florida, local faculty physicians and admissions staff at 3 MD schools (not in Florida) have told me that they want people like me. In Florida I would be a dime a dozen. You might consider putting yourself in regions out of Florida where MD schools seek people like you. You being fluent in Spanish is a huge advantage. Use it. Use MSAR data to research as well as individual webpages of MD schools that target diversity and inclusion.

Your shadowing is with physician specialists and your clinical experience is with hematology and oncology pediatrics. You didn't mention the area of medicine where you work translating and scribing. it is my understanding that MD schools want to see shadowing with primary care physicians. I'm not sure if you can address that now but frankly I would be surprised if a Florida school did not accept you.

Exito!
Thank you for the kind words, I still see everyone else and I feel like I am behind with stats and the app process in general lol. The work I do scribing and shadowing is at a local mobile clinic. We travel to areas the underserved can easily access and treat them on the bus which has two examination rooms and an intake room (an amazing set up really). We provide free primary care to everyone who comes in so I have worked with all sorts of volunteer providers. This includes rheum, family, emergency, pediatrics, etc.... I made sure to expand on what I do at this clinic cause it is truly the thing I am most passionate about besides my research. Getting to have long term patients that I help with SDOH, assessment plans, etc.. has been great along with learning how to present to providers and do patient interviews along with everything else.

And may ask what area you are in? I have applied so far to NYU, NYULI, Vandy, Emory, GW and Baylor out of Florida. Right now I am working on Pitts and Penn State. I would say that my MCAT score is out of range for many of these but I was hoping the whole being URM thing would help balance it out if my stats and involvement didn't

Hi all, I am an AA female with low stats from Pennsylvania. 3.2 gpa undergrad 499 mcat and 3.0 gpa graduate school. I was wondering if I can get advice for possible schools to apply to. I also have plenty of clinical experience and research experience. Thanks in advance

Hello, I am a third year medical student black female I am a single mother my stats when I applied
MCAT:499
uGPA: 2.9
I am now in my third year of medical school and want to let you know it’s possible stay positive I’m praying for you all feel free to ask me anything
Hi I was wondering which schools did u apply to? Thanks

Hello,

I applied to all Texas schools but I have only gotten one ii from UTMB which I know interviews the most applicants and the most minorities (attended their premed conference twice where they mention this) so I’m worried of actually being accepted. I applied early to TMDSAS and was complete and had all secondaries in by the beginning of June. Should I start sending apps to out of schools as a precaution or am i jumping the gun?

I have a 3.69 cGPA. 3.8 sGPA. 505 MCAT 126/125/127/127
I’m also Hispanic

Y'all should move to the WAMC (what are my chances) forum and post this to get an appropriate school list. You can also opt to tag Faha. Best of luck!

I think you should def apply to Tulane. But apply as early as possible and get everything on the first day. Many people who recieved their interviews in August didnt interview until Feb/March

I got an interview at Tulane!! I'm interviewing in October and hopefully it turns into an acceptance. Thanks for encouraging me to apply!!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey fam!

So I'm applying for the 2021 cycle and currently thinking about where I should apply. I am aiming for top 10 to 20 schools, but I would like to know if you guys think I have a chance for them. My main concern is my lackluster research experience, but let me know what you think! Really appreciate this and thanks in advance!!

Numbers:

cgpa: 3.82

sgpa: 3.71

mcat: 520

URM Status:

African American Female

State of Residence:

North Carolina

ECs:

Clinical Volunteering: 400 hrs in hospice

Shadowing: 150 hrs in an African country and 100 hrs in the US

Non-Clinical Volunteering: 800hrs

- National medical chapter at my school: 2 yrs

- Food Recovery Network: 1.5 yrs

- Pre-Med Mentor at my school for 1 yr

- Healthcare admin volunteer at a free hospital in an African country for 5 yrs. (2 yrs of this I did in the African country and 3 yrs of this I did virtually in the US.)

- ACT Tutor for one year

- Working on my own non-profit org to help girls in rural sides of a certain African country attend school by supplying them with certain supplies. I was raised in this country and went to high school there as well, so I am collaborating with people in my high school to make this org work. ( going to focus on this work a lot on my app)

Research:

1000hrs over 6 months. Worked full time. No papers, abstracts or posters :( Might have more hours for this. (but not too sure)

Leadership

Pre-Med Club: 1 yr as a leader (we didn't really have titles lol)

Student Government: 2 yrs as student representative

Another big club: 1 yr as secretary

Work:

2000+ hrs ( data intern, call center worker, lab assistant, teaching assistant, academic coach..etc) All mainly during undergrad

LORs:

- Committee Letter from two science profs and two non-science profs

- Research Coordinator maybe

Hey fam!

So I'm applying for the 2021 cycle and currently thinking about where I should apply. I am aiming for top 10 to 20 schools, but I would like to know if you guys think I have a chance for them. My main concern is my lackluster research experience, but let me know what you think! Really appreciate this and thanks in advance!!

Numbers:

cgpa: 3.82

sgpa: 3.71

mcat: 520

URM Status:

African American Female

State of Residence:

North Carolina

ECs:

Clinical Volunteering: 400 hrs in hospice

Shadowing: 150 hrs in an African country and 100 hrs in the US

Non-Clinical Volunteering: 800hrs

- National medical chapter at my school: 2 yrs

- Food Recovery Network: 1.5 yrs

- Pre-Med Mentor at my school for 1 yr

- Healthcare admin volunteer at a free hospital in an African country for 5 yrs. (2 yrs of this I did in the African country and 3 yrs of this I did virtually in the US.)

- ACT Tutor for one year

- Working on my own non-profit org to help girls in rural sides of a certain African country attend school by supplying them with certain supplies. I was raised in this country and went to high school there as well, so I am collaborating with people in my high school to make this org work. ( going to focus on this work a lot on my app)

Research:

1000hrs over 6 months. Worked full time. No papers, abstracts or posters :( Might have more hours for this. (but not too sure)

Leadership

Pre-Med Club: 1 yr as a leader (we didn't really have titles lol)

Student Government: 2 yrs as student representative

Another big club: 1 yr as secretary

Work:

2000+ hrs ( data intern, call center worker, lab assistant, teaching assistant, academic coach..etc) All mainly during undergrad

LORs:

- Committee Letter from two science profs and two non-science profs

- Research Coordinator maybe

IMO you have a great shot at T10/20 schools and should apply to as many as is financially feasible for you. Great stats and strong volunteering/service. I don't think the research will really be an issue, since you're not applying to MD/PhD programs. But if you're worried about it and since you still have plenty of time before you apply, I'd recommend fixing what you can control. Publications are tough and largely luck-based but poster presentations aren't, so apply to some conferences asap to present your research. I'd recommend ABRCMS (link here) which is a minority research conference, lots of labs and schools give travel funding and ABRCMS also has a pretty generous travel award program you can apply to (I just checked though, the travel award application is due on August 20 so apply soon!!). If not, apply for some conferences in your local area to present. Other than that, keep doing what you're doing and I'm certain you'll have an incredibly successful future cycle!

Hi all, I am an AA female with low stats from Pennsylvania. 3.2 gpa undergrad 499 mcat and 3.0 gpa graduate school. I was wondering if I can get advice for possible schools to apply to. I also have plenty of clinical experience and research experience. Thanks in advance
I suggest these MD schools with your stats
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Commonwealth-Geisinger
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Seton Hall
George Washington
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Loma Linda
For MD schools you need to apply in the next week and submit all your secondaries by September.
You should also apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
MU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
UIWSOM
BCOM
LUCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
LECOM (all schools)

Hi I was wondering which schools did u apply to? Thanks
University of Arkansas for Medical Science
ARCOM
NYIT at Jonesboro
Morehouse
Meharry
I was accepted to the first 3 schools listed I am a Arkansas resident

Hello stop saying your stats are “low” that’s for the admissions board to determine so let them do their job. Just tell your story and let them (via your personal statement) draw their own conclusions no need to point anything negative out unless asked. Be confident. Make the rest of application strong. Get a letter of rec from a person that works at the school you are applying shadow doctors at the school you’re applying. Volunteer work etc at the your applying and put all those things on your application. Apply to in state schools even your states private schools as you have your best chance there and then some other schools doesn’t matter I picked the HBCUs or other out of state private schools. If you have ties to a state apply to that state school

If y’all want I can post my application as a word doc leaving personal information out so y’all can have an idea. I know I was lost when I applied so if y’all are interested let me know I can share it.

From what I know about SMPs they typically want higher MCATs. I think the lowest I heard of was Drexel's for URMs but I think it required a certain threshold in each subsection. Your 494 probably would have been fine, idk about the 490.

From what I know about SMPs they typically want higher MCATs. I think the lowest I heard of was Drexel's for URMs but I think it required a certain threshold in each subsection. Your 494 probably would have been fine, idk about the 490.
Thanks appreciate the feedback! 490 was shock 12 points below my lowest practice exam. Drexel's program requires you to get a certain score on the MCAT 500+ I believe. My logic is that if im going to take the MCAT again im better off studying without any other commitments, studying while in a SMP would be no different than studying now working a full time job

Hey would appreciate any advice on where i should apply. Really low MCAT Ive been in contact with various MD/DO’s that talks low MCAT scores for URM applicants. (Haven’t really been able to find many DO schools tho)

I feel that aside from my MCAT I have a decent application. Looking for schools with a holistic admissions approach also willing to complete another masters if there is a direct entry to a SOM.

Undergrad cGPA: 3.41 and sGPA: 3.18
Graduate (MS in Biology) cGPA: 3.56 and sGPA: 3.54
MCAT : This is the glaring deficiency in my application, I have taken it 4 times my last two attempts are the only scores that haven't expired
2017: 494 123/123/124/126 2019: 490 118/123/126/123
State of residence: NY
Ethnicity: Latino (fully bilingual)
Nontraditional: graduated with a BS in ’15 Biology minors in Psych and Chem; MS in Biology in 17 have been working full-time since graduating not sure if this is considered nontrad ?

Clinical volunteering: (1920 hours still ongoing ) Volunteer clinical Research assistant at Hospital for Special Surgery (NY) with extensive shadowing 2 first author posters, 3 manuscripts submitted for publication

(700 hrs) Research assistant to an orthopedic surgeon at Lenox Hill Hospital also did extensive shadowing. poster presentation at the annual eastern orthopedic conference (3rd author), mentioned in the acknowledgements for a publication in a major orthopedic journal.

Non-clinical volunteering: (240 hours) Saturday School teaching volunteer in an inner city public school helping English second language (specifically Latinx) children learn how to read or write. Program ran for 5-6 weeks a year every Saturday I was involved for 8 years

(150 hrs) community based volunteer work through my undergraduate fraternity -> with habitat for humanity, wounded warrior project and work at a food shelter

(300 hrs) Operations smile club, founder and treasurer, raised money and awareness in the community for kids suffering from cleft lips and palates. Received a Commendation from local county executive.

Basic Science Research experience: (1640 hours) extensive research experience in genetics working with fruit flies, undergraduate and graduate thesis based on this work, 2 poster presentation at conferences and 1 oral presentation at school research day , second author manuscript being submitted for publication

Clinal based research :see clinical volunteer
Work:
(10,000 hours) 2 yrs as a community habilitation worker for a young man with autism ;1 yr scribe at a level one trauma ER; bartender waiter; Graduate Teaching assistant; animal care person for biology department ; facilities department

Shadowing experience: (105 hours) shadowing various physicians during an internship at a local hospital + extensive shadowing done with patients while doing clinical research with both MD and DO’s

Leadership: President of BBB (biology honors society), founder and treasure of operation smile club, Graduate Biology teaching assistant

Extracurricular activities: Working out, pickup basketball

LOR: Strong committee letter and two separate letters from MD's I did research with.
Aspirations:
helping underserved communities, community service, clinical research,

Schools im applying to:
Howard
Rutgers RWJ
MUSC
Meharry
Wright state
Toledo
Jerry m Wallace
U of Pikeville
UNE
Burrell
Would appreciate your opinion here @Goro !