May 10, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I think you should def apply to Tulane. But apply as early as possible and get everything on the first day. Many people who recieved their interviews in August didnt interview until Feb/March
I got an interview at Tulane!! I'm interviewing in October and hopefully it turns into an acceptance. Thanks for encouraging me to apply!!

Aug 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey fam!

So I'm applying for the 2021 cycle and currently thinking about where I should apply. I am aiming for top 10 to 20 schools, but I would like to know if you guys think I have a chance for them. My main concern is my lackluster research experience, but let me know what you think! Really appreciate this and thanks in advance!!

Numbers:

cgpa: 3.82

sgpa: 3.71

mcat: 520

URM Status:

African American Female

State of Residence:

North Carolina

ECs:

Clinical Volunteering: 400 hrs in hospice

Shadowing: 150 hrs in an African country and 100 hrs in the US

Non-Clinical Volunteering: 800hrs

- National medical chapter at my school: 2 yrs

- Food Recovery Network: 1.5 yrs

- Pre-Med Mentor at my school for 1 yr

- Healthcare admin volunteer at a free hospital in an African country for 5 yrs. (2 yrs of this I did in the African country and 3 yrs of this I did virtually in the US.)

- ACT Tutor for one year

- Working on my own non-profit org to help girls in rural sides of a certain African country attend school by supplying them with certain supplies. I was raised in this country and went to high school there as well, so I am collaborating with people in my high school to make this org work. ( going to focus on this work a lot on my app)

Research:

1000hrs over 6 months. Worked full time. No papers, abstracts or posters :( Might have more hours for this. (but not too sure)

Leadership

Pre-Med Club: 1 yr as a leader (we didn't really have titles lol)

Student Government: 2 yrs as student representative

Another big club: 1 yr as secretary

Work:

2000+ hrs ( data intern, call center worker, lab assistant, teaching assistant, academic coach..etc) All mainly during undergrad

LORs:

- Committee Letter from two science profs and two non-science profs

- Research Coordinator maybe

Beyonce2.0

2+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey fam!

So I'm applying for the 2021 cycle and currently thinking about where I should apply. I am aiming for top 10 to 20 schools, but I would like to know if you guys think I have a chance for them. My main concern is my lackluster research experience, but let me know what you think! Really appreciate this and thanks in advance!!

Numbers:

cgpa: 3.82

sgpa: 3.71

mcat: 520

URM Status:

African American Female

State of Residence:

North Carolina

ECs:

Clinical Volunteering: 400 hrs in hospice

Shadowing: 150 hrs in an African country and 100 hrs in the US

Non-Clinical Volunteering: 800hrs

- National medical chapter at my school: 2 yrs

- Food Recovery Network: 1.5 yrs

- Pre-Med Mentor at my school for 1 yr

- Healthcare admin volunteer at a free hospital in an African country for 5 yrs. (2 yrs of this I did in the African country and 3 yrs of this I did virtually in the US.)

- ACT Tutor for one year

- Working on my own non-profit org to help girls in rural sides of a certain African country attend school by supplying them with certain supplies. I was raised in this country and went to high school there as well, so I am collaborating with people in my high school to make this org work. ( going to focus on this work a lot on my app)

Research:

1000hrs over 6 months. Worked full time. No papers, abstracts or posters :( Might have more hours for this. (but not too sure)

Leadership

Pre-Med Club: 1 yr as a leader (we didn't really have titles lol)

Student Government: 2 yrs as student representative

Another big club: 1 yr as secretary

Work:

2000+ hrs ( data intern, call center worker, lab assistant, teaching assistant, academic coach..etc) All mainly during undergrad

LORs:

- Committee Letter from two science profs and two non-science profs

- Research Coordinator maybe
IMO you have a great shot at T10/20 schools and should apply to as many as is financially feasible for you. Great stats and strong volunteering/service. I don't think the research will really be an issue, since you're not applying to MD/PhD programs. But if you're worried about it and since you still have plenty of time before you apply, I'd recommend fixing what you can control. Publications are tough and largely luck-based but poster presentations aren't, so apply to some conferences asap to present your research. I'd recommend ABRCMS (link here) which is a minority research conference, lots of labs and schools give travel funding and ABRCMS also has a pretty generous travel award program you can apply to (I just checked though, the travel award application is due on August 20 so apply soon!!). If not, apply for some conferences in your local area to present. Other than that, keep doing what you're doing and I'm certain you'll have an incredibly successful future cycle!

Faha

5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Hi all, I am an AA female with low stats from Pennsylvania. 3.2 gpa undergrad 499 mcat and 3.0 gpa graduate school. I was wondering if I can get advice for possible schools to apply to. I also have plenty of clinical experience and research experience. Thanks in advance
I suggest these MD schools with your stats
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Commonwealth-Geisinger
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Seton Hall
George Washington
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Loma Linda
For MD schools you need to apply in the next week and submit all your secondaries by September.
You should also apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
MU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
UIWSOM
BCOM
LUCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)