***2019-2020 URM Medical School Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any specific programs you would recommend ?
They're a dime a dozen. Pick one with the least tuition, that''s given at a med school, and is a year in length. Be prepared to relocate.

Members don't see this ad.

They're a dime a dozen. Pick one with the least tuition, that''s given at a med school, and is a year in length. Be prepared to relocate.
Thanks for the advice!

I forgot to opt into the Med-MAR registry when I took my MCAT, is this a possible reason why some of my friends have received fee waivers for secondaries but I haven't? Also, do schools recognize URMs who haven't formally registered for the Med-MAR?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview at Tulane!! I'm interviewing in October and hopefully it turns into an acceptance. Thanks for encouraging me to apply!!
Yes!!! I’m so happy for you. Mash it up

Reactions: 1 users
I forgot to opt into the Med-MAR registry when I took my MCAT, is this a possible reason why some of my friends have received fee waivers for secondaries but I haven't? Also, do schools recognize URMs who haven't formally registered for the Med-MAR?
Could be. You can always ask for a fee waiver as well. They can also see that you’re URM when they review your app.

It is almost that time of the year again! As requested, here's the thread for the upcoming cycle.

Please feel free to share your cGPA, sGPA, MCAT, Major, if you're non-trad, your ECs, etc. and ask and answer questions!

Dates:
AMCAS Opens - May 1
Application Submission - May 30
Completed Applications Transmitted to Medical Schools - June 28

23 Hispanic Male - received FAP
Florida resident
cGPA = 3.28
sGPA = 3.33
Master's GPA = 3.39(science only curriculum)
MCAT = 508
Biology major
Lots of shadowing in a pediatrics
ED volunteering
assistant youth soccer coach volunteering
worked almost full-time all throughout undergrad
dealt with health issues along the way

Reactions: 1 user
23 African American Female
Michigan Resident

Undergraduate Stats (University of Michigan - Ann Arbor)
Major: Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience
cGPA = 3.14
sGPA = 2.81

Graduate School - MPH (Emory University)
Master's GPA = 3.85
sGPA = 3.89

MCAT = 502

Research: ~2000 hours
Medical: ~600 hours
Non-Medical: ~3,000 hours
Publication: 1 newspaper article and 1 research publication in progress
Kind of shadowing experience, but reluctant to call it that.

Can you guys please be honest with me? I know I have low-stats but I'm really hoping for a holistic approach will save me. Do you think I have a chance?

I've already applied to the HBCU's and some of my state schools

Michigan Resident

cGPA = 3.14
sGPA = 2.81

Master's GPA = 3.85
sGPA = 3.89

MCAT = 502

Can you guys please be honest with me? I know I have low-stats but I'm really hoping for a holistic approach will save me. Do you think I have a chance?

Honestly, your undergrad GPA may hurt you. Especially since no one really takes into account MPH GPA's. I think you stand a chance though. Assuming you reported some shadowing hours and did extensive community service volunteering, C Mich, Wayne, and Oakland may be your best bet. Also check out Wright State and the HBCU's

Honestly, your undergrad GPA may hurt you. Especially since no one really takes into account MPH GPA's. I think you stand a chance though. Assuming you reported some shadowing hours and did extensive community service volunteering, C Mich, Wayne, and Oakland may be your best bet. Also check out Wright State and the HBCU's

That's where I applied so far and submitted secondaries for:
Central Michigan
Wayne State
Michigan State
Howard
Morehouse

I'm currently working on Oakland's and I hope I receive a secondary from Meharry :(

I've definitely done extensive community service hours and I worked as a patient attendance and said that they let me watch procedures and asked me questions (that's why I'm reluctant to say shadow). Also I have a strong upward trend in my grades if that helps. I'm super stressed lol like any pre-med student

Michigan Resident

cGPA = 3.14
sGPA = 2.81

Master's GPA = 3.85
sGPA = 3.89

MCAT = 502

the sub 3.0 sGPA will definitely hurt. A post bac would have been better than a masters. Doesn’t mean a school won’t take a chance on you. I’d add some DO schools.

22 year old AA female graduated with a sociology degree 2018 (disadvantaged). planning on applying for 2021 cycle.
Undergrad cGPA: 2.86
Undergrad sGPA: ~2.7 (non science major, so I only took some pre reqs science courses)
- come from a very abusive home/ had to take care of family issues whilst attending undergrad.
- D1 college athlete
-also had to work through school

Current post bacc GPA : 4.0 (15 hrs of science classes, 3 hours non science classes)

MCAT: 498 (found out my father died days before, terrible experience, may be expired come 2020 cycle)

I plan on continuing to take more science classes during the coming up semester and summer of 2020. (~15-20 more credit hours, hoping to keep up the 4.0 or at least 3.5 or better)

plan on retaking MCAT in January (if I keep averaging 510+ on practice exams, but willing to push back to june/july)

Research:
Undergraduate research ~200 hrs, but in vet lab helping in research conducted on ticks

Shadowing experience:
-Anesthesiologist ~60 hours
-Cardiologist ~50 hours
-Emergency Medicine ~60 hours
-podiatrist~ 20
-looking to shadow primary care physician in the future
Volunteering:
- boys and girls club :300 hours
-Geriatrics ~ 40 hours
-Food bank ~50 hours
-Hospital ~ 60 hours and counting
-Non profit org (advocating for best interest of abused and neglected children) ~ 20 hrs and counting
-Church (feeding homeless) ~120 hours and counting

Leadership:
- executive board member of pre medical society in undergrad
-Mentor for first generation students in undergrad

Work:
-Volleyball coach
-Personal Tutor

I am not impressive or a stand out star and I am having to pay for my post bacc out of pocket so I would like to spend my very little money wisely when it comes to application costs. I know this is what I want to do and I am confident I will be able to pull the MCAT score up. I want to get a jump start on preparing for schools to apply for. I will be a first time applicant and I am terrified that regardless of my efforts I may be over looked so I do want to make sure I am doing all I can to have a strong application. is applying for 2021 too soon? @Goro

That's where I applied so far and submitted secondaries for:
Central Michigan
Wayne State
Michigan State
Howard
Morehouse

I'm currently working on Oakland's and I hope I receive a secondary from Meharry :(

I've definitely done extensive community service hours and I worked as a patient attendance and said that they let me watch procedures and asked me questions (that's why I'm reluctant to say shadow). Also I have a strong upward trend in my grades if that helps. I'm super stressed lol like any pre-med student
Keep the faith alive sis. And you have to report shadowing hours. Don’t feel bad if it wasn’t official. Not putting anything will hurt you badly. I was timid my first cycle, and it wasn’t until i got rejected from 60+ schools that I realized...this ain’t the time to be modest. Medical schools do not want the student who downplays everything they do, because it comes off as you not doing anything. Now is the time to boast and brag. You want to use your application to show schools why they should pick you

Reactions: 4 users
the sub 3.0 sGPA will definitely hurt. A post bac would have been better than a masters. Doesn’t mean a school won’t take a chance on you. I’d add some DO schools.
I did the MPH because I'm passionate about that and wanted a degree in something I cared about in case med school fell through. But I am taking science classes on the undergrad campus I am at currently

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the MPH because I'm passionate about that and wanted a degree in something I cared about in case med school fell through. But I am taking science classes on the undergrad campus I am at currently
You’re fine. The biggest red flag will be if you put no shadowing hours. Most schools look at that and will immediately throw out your application. The low GPA will give most school pause, but the more mission heavy ones will likely give you a chance

That’s a great plan B. It’s great that you’re doing a post bac. You have to raise that sGPA.

You’re fine. The biggest red flag will be if you put no shadowing hours. Most schools look at that and will immediately throw out your application. The low GPA will give most school pause, but the more mission heavy ones will likely give you a chance

That’s gpa is the biggest red flag, 100%. A sGPA of 2.8 will do more than give some schools pause. The grad sGPA will not be factored in to raise that at MD schools. The projected acceptance rate with that MCAT and gpa is <16% and the national average is about 40%. The best bet is to do a post bac before applying.

That’s a great plan B. It’s great that you’re doing a post bac. You have to raise that sGPA.

That’s gpa is the biggest red flag, 100%. A sGPA of 2.8 will do more than give some schools pause. The grad sGPA will not be factored in to raise that at MD schools. The projected acceptance rate with that MCAT and gpa is <16% and the national average is about 40%. The best bet is to do a post bac before applying.
The only way she 100% won’t get in is if she doesn’t apply. You know how many times I was told to do a post bacc? Probably over 20 times...from like 20 different people. And while I did apply to post baccs in the end, it turned out I didn’t need them as I was accepted to medical school at the same time. I’m advocating for OP because I too had a “high risk” application. Yet I found two schools that saw something special in me, and decided to take their chance and invest in me. I’ve now successfully completed M1, on my way to completing M2, and take step 1 in January. It’s possible to defy the odds, but not if you don’t put yourself out there first

• Love
The only way she 100% won’t get in is if she doesn’t apply. You know how many times I was told to do a post bacc? Probably over 20 times...from like 20 different people. And while I did apply to post baccs in the end, it turned out I didn’t need them as I was accepted to medical school at the same time. I’m advocating for OP because I too had a “high risk” application. Yet I found two schools that saw something special in me, and decided to take their chance and invest in me. I’ve now successfully completed M1, on my way to completing M2, and take step 1 in January. It’s possible to defy the odds, but not if you don’t put yourself out there first

I agree with this. I am advocating for more responsible language. You saying that a sub 3.0 sGPA isn’t a red flag when AAMC stats show that the acceptance rate with that gpa and mcat are merely a fraction of the national acceptance rate is a bit irresponsible. I’m all for rooting for the underdog and shooting your shot, but not blindly and without acknowledgment of stats, a Strategy and plan b, c, and d to become a more competitive applicant.

I agree with this. I am advocating for more responsible language. You saying that a sub 3.0 sGPA isn’t a red flag when AAMC stats show that the acceptance rate with that gpa and mcat are merely a fraction of the national acceptance rate is a bit irresponsible. I’m all for rooting for the underdog and shooting your shot, but not blindly and without acknowledgment of stats, a Strategy and plan b, c, and d to become a more competitive applicant.
Noted, and I apologize for that. What I meant to relay the difference between low stats and an absolute requirement. For sure her low GPA will be a red flag. Nothing can really be done about that at this point. The reporting no shadowing hours (and I pray to God she didn’t do this), will be a hard stop barrier. Of the two things, the latter will be responsible for lack of school response

Hi Everyone,
Ima be applying this upcoming June 2020 for the next app cycle just wanted an idea for if you guys believe I have a good shot. I will apply to MD schools that are mostly mid-tier except for California where I will apply to all the schools because it is my home state. I am quarter Mexican and rest Punjabi, however, I wear a turban so I don't know if that helps count me as a URM more if anything but doesn't really matter I guess since I look almost completely Punjabi. I am starting my second year of undergrad at UCD and I plan on graduating in 3 years and applying straight through without gap years. I'm also a recipient of the Fee Application Waiver so my costs for applying are more affordable and I've been saving up money from work for travel costs however much there may be. I worked hard and sacrificed a lot to get to where I am today and the reality is I want to be able to start medical school as soon as possible due to unique circumstances at home(ill father, mother only one working beside me.) Please let me know if there is anything I should do more to improve my chances because I'm very insecure in regards to me extracurriculars and thus my possibility to get in somewhere. Will apply to 35 MD and 5 DO but prefer MD if possible(although they will basically be same considering the new merger)
My Gpa: 3.97(science, overall is higher)
MCAT: taking in March
Clinical Volunteer:
  • Bhagat Puran Singh Health Initiative(150 hours): Student-run clinic in the process of getting certified by a medical school hopefully within the next 2-3 years
  • Cardio-Thoracic Step Down Unit Volunteer Intern(50 hours)
Non-Clinical Volunteer:
  • Sikh Cultural Association collaboration with SEWA group(200 hours): We helped feed homeless/underserved people in many parts of poverty-stricken and neglected parts of Sacramento, we also helped in many events such as the annual Sikh parade in which we volunteer in helping give people free food
Research:
  • Vascular Center Research at UCDMC(approximately 1k hours): have been doing research since I was 16 and still in high school continued this on until the summer before my second year now at Davis since family circumstances couldn't allow me to continue. Learned a lot about IRB submissions, even mostly wrote a protocal by myself, and I helped in research that resulted in poster publication and will hopefully result in a journal entry later this year.
  • Neurological Surgery Research Assistant(250 hours): Job I work at in which I am in charge of surveying patients with spinal injuries and/or brain injuries regarding their recoveries and in charge of data input of the results of these surveys, probably no publications or posters
Shadowing:
  • Vascular Surgeon shadowing(60-70 hours)
  • Neurological Surgeon shadowing(60-70 hours)
Work:
  • Gas Station attendant throughout my first year of school to support myself, quit the job after my first year at school since that is when I got a paid position to research at the Department of Neurological Surgery which was more convenient to me and paid more

Identify as whatever you place on the census. Based on your choice of ECs, you didn't choose to do anything that shows you identify with your Mexican heritage as opposed to your Punjabi heritage. There's nothing significantly wrong/missing with your application overall, but you would benefit from adding primary care shadowing as well as adding more volunteer hours in each category. Come back when you have an MCAT score as you may not need the DO schools, but it's too soon to tell.

cgpa: 3.0
sgpa: 2.9
Smp: 3.7
Mcat: 499,506
Great EC

10 MD II / 5 II Attended
3 MD Acceptance

Just a little hope :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 users
Whats going on everybody
I figured id give this a shot.
First of all good luck to everyone applying this cycle.. I live for the URM excellence I see on these posts.

Numbers:

cgpa: 3.79 - undergrad only, SMP not accounted for

SMP: one year program at a Medical School (+/-) gpa: 3.6 (all science)

sgpa: 3.02 - undergrad only, SMP not accounted for- (well explained in my application)

mcat: 498, 497 and 507 - last one Taken rather later in August- (125, 123, 129,130)

*Latest MCAT, uGPA, and SMP performance qualifies me for a "guaranteed" interview at my grad school (MD granting).*

URM Status:

24 yo, Black male, Immigrant, Continental African and LGBTQ+
Non trad (3 years out of college)
2nd time applicant: first application was without SMP and with first 2 MCAT scores)

State of Residence:

Maryland

ECs:

Clinical Volunteering:
~60 hrs in hospice
Patient advocate at Hospital in Maryland - 1 year .. ~ 250 hours
~ 15-20 hours through SMP course

Shadowing: 100 hours (MD) and about 40 DO

Non-Clinical Volunteering: LOTS

- Immigrant resources Mentor - 2 years about 1000 hours

- Food pantry: 2 years about 100 hours

- International relations advocate at school - about 1 year... 50 hours

- Youth and homeless volunteer/mentor - 1 year .. 140 hours

- Hobbies include: singing all through undergrad and grad school, fitness coaching and mentorship

Research:

1 independent summer research project - about 400 hours .. wet lab cancer research. . weekly lab meetings, poster and presentation - conducted at MD granting medical school

3 research projects in grad school: community based/population based research looking into the Diabetes belt (1st project), Higher incidence of type 2 diabetes in AA (2nd project), and Neuroscience research paper (lit. review, 3rd project -- currently awaiting publication). Posters and presentations in both diabetes related projects

Type 2 Diabetes in AA - research paper written

Now that i think about it.. I do not have the last 2 research projects on my MD applications because they were not wet lab -- one was population based and the other was literature review... thoughts on this? Instead, I have two of my after college jobs in my app (i wanted to hit every category listed). I'd love some feedback as to whether I should swap them out for my SMP research projects. BTW.. i maxed out all entries on AAMC

Leadership

- Physics TA; paid- 1 year
- Writing and french Tutor; paid - 1 year
- SNMA Eboard member - 1 year
- Student teacher in Baltimore - 1 year
- Maryland SOM: Peer health education - 5 months ish (also not on my aamc app) - lead a weekly classes about sex hygiene and helathy sexual behaviors to minority LGBTQ+ youth form Baltimore
- John Hopkins center of learning and health: 3 months - research intern (not on my aamc app) - worked with substance abusing individuals to collect urine for testing and help connect them with resources to find jobs while encouraging them to sobriety

thoughts on the these are also welcome.. the reason why i dont ave those listed on my app is because they are both under a year.

Work:

All throughout undergrad and works/ed in biopharmaceutics for all my gap years (before and after my SMP)
Works with columns (affinity, anion, cation) etc... def stuff i will bring out during my interview

LORs:

- Qualified for the Committee letter from SMP
- DO letter as well

Interest:

Undeserved communities, health disparities, healthcare education, primary care, rural medicine, intersectionality in healthcare outcomes, LGBTQ+ health related issues

School list:

MD's

- Howard
- Meharry
- Morehouse
- Geisinger
- NYU medicine cuz free tuition lol
- Maryland Med school

DO's

- Michigan State
- Arizona state
- Nova
- Marian University
- Ohio Heritage
- PCOM
- WVSOM (told me last cycle that they wanted to see more academic prowess from me in order to grant me an II)
-NYTCOM
- Liberty
- AT. STill
- ARCOM (interviewed last cycle, then WL)
- Des Moines
- BCOM

I would appreciate some feedback on school choices, esp. MD schools, ( I dont much care for MD or DO as long as the school is accredited and in the US)
Would also like to hear thoughts about my activities for AAMC : having 2 pharma jobs listed as opposed to 2 research projects (lit. reviews with papers, posters and presentations), as well as not listing my time as MarylandSOM and Hopkins because of <1 year duration.

Not a FAP recipient; so i am trying to get my list finalized (yes, i havent yet submitted, but I have prewritten most secondaries so once those come in, it will just review and submit - thanks to SDN) .

Looking to submit at the end of this month latest!! Thanks in advance.

Whats going on everybody
First of all good luck to everyone applying this cycle.. I live for the URM excellence I see on these posts.

Numbers:

sgpa: 3.02 - undergrad only, SMP not accounted for- (well explained in my application)

mcat: 498, 497 and 507 - last one Taken rather later in August- (125, 123, 129,130)

*Latest MCAT, uGPA, and SMP performance qualifies me for a "guaranteed" interview at my grad school (MD granting).*

URM Status:

2nd time applicant: first application was without SMP and with first 2 MCAT scores)

State of Residence:

Maryland

ECs:

Clinical Volunteering:
~60 hrs in hospice

- Hobbies include: singing all through undergrad and grad school, fitness coaching and mentorship

Research:

1 independent summer research project - about 400 hours .. wet lab cancer research. . weekly lab meetings, poster and presentation - conducted at MD granting medical school

3 research projects in grad school: community based/population based research looking into the Diabetes belt (1st project), Higher incidence of type 2 diabetes in AA (2nd project), and Neuroscience research paper (lit. review, 3rd project -- currently awaiting publication). Posters and presentations in both diabetes related projects

Now that i think about it.. I do not have the last 2 research projects on my MD applications because they were not wet lab -- one was population based and the other was literature review... thoughts on this? Instead, I have two of my after college jobs in my app (i wanted to hit every category listed). I'd love some feedback as to whether I should swap them out for my SMP research projects. BTW.. i maxed out all entries on AAMC

Leadership

- Maryland SOM: Peer health education - 5 months ish (also not on my aamc app) - lead a weekly classes about sex hygiene and helathy sexual behaviors to minority LGBTQ+ youth form Baltimore
- John Hopkins center of learning and health: 3 months - research intern (not on my aamc app) - worked with substance abusing individuals to collect urine for testing and help connect them with resources to find jobs while encouraging them to sobriety

thoughts on the these are also welcome.. the reason why i dont ave those listed on my app is because they are both under a year.

Work:

All throughout undergrad and works/ed in biopharmaceutics for all my gap years (before and after my SMP)
Works with columns (affinity, anion, cation) etc... def stuff i will bring out during my interview

LORs:

- DO letter as well

Interest:

Undeserved communities, health disparities, healthcare education, primary care, rural medicine, intersectionality in healthcare outcomes, LGBTQ+ health related issues

School list:

MD's

- Howard
- Meharry
- Morehouse
- Geisinger
- Maryland Med school

DO's

- Michigan State
- Arizona state
- Nova
- Marian University
- Ohio Heritage
- PCOM
- WVSOM (told me last cycle that they wanted to see more academic prowess from me in order to grant me an II)
-NYTCOM
- Liberty
- AT. STill
- Des Moines
- BCOM

I would appreciate some feedback on school choices, esp. MD schools, ( I dont much care for MD or DO as long as the school is accredited and in the US)
Would also like to hear thoughts about my activities for AAMC : having 2 pharma jobs listed as opposed to 2 research projects (lit. reviews with papers, posters and presentations), as well as not listing my time as MarylandSOM and Hopkins because of <1 year duration.

Not a FAP recipient; so i am trying to get my list finalized (yes, i havent yet submitted, but I have prewritten most secondaries so once those come in, it will just review and submit - thanks to SDN) .

Not having your primary verified at at least one school at this point is likely going to hinder your MD chances at this point, but other than that you should get a lot of MD love. I wouldn’t even apply DO. I think your hours and activities are fine.

I would see if Goro and Faha can help you make a well rounded school list.

Not having your primary verified at at least one school at this point is likely going to hinder your MD chances at this point, but other than that you should get a lot of MD love. I wouldn’t even apply DO. I think your hours and activities are fine.

I would see if Goro and Faha can help you make a well rounded school list.

I know :( and the reason is that i still owe tuition at my SMP program so my transcripts are being held.-- taking care of that this week hopefully.

You really think i shouldnt apply DO? my undergrad sgpa is on the lower end, which is why i branched out to the DO side as well.. adding to the fact that my application will be late, my chances are greater i think with DO since that cycle runs longer.

I was also thinking of applying to about 20 schools (10 MD and 10 DO - or alittle more DO's for aforementioned reasons)..

Thank you for your input and congrats on your acceptances!!

I know :( and the reason is that i still owe tuition at my SMP program so my transcripts are being held.-- taking care of that this week hopefully.

You really think i shouldnt apply DO? my undergrad sgpa is on the lower end, which is why i branched out to the DO side as well.. adding to the fact that my application will be late, my chances are greater i think with DO since that cycle runs longer.

I was also thinking of applying to about 20 schools (10 MD and 10 DO - or alittle more DO's for aforementioned reasons)..

Thank you for your input and congrats on your acceptances!!

Thanks! I applied last year so I should update my signature.

I think you should apply to more MD than DOs. If you wait much longer than more DOs make sense.

Whats going on everybody

Numbers:

URM Status:

State of Residence:

Maryland

ECs:

Clinical Volunteering:
~60 hrs in hospice

Research:

Leadership

Work:

LORs:

- DO letter as well

Interest:

School list:

MD's

- Howard
- Meharry
- Morehouse
- Geisinger
- Maryland Med school

DO's

- Michigan State
- Arizona state
- Nova
- Marian University
- Ohio Heritage
- PCOM
-NYTCOM
- Liberty
- AT. STill
- Des Moines
- BCOM

I agree with OChem, you’re kind of pushing it there bud. Luckily, being URM means that alot of schools are going to gobble you up with that nice MCAT. If all else fails, apply to the predominantly white MD schools (Mizzou, Oklahoma, etc.). They have a quota to fill according to new AAMC guidelines

If y’all want I can post my application as a word doc leaving personal information out so y’all can have an idea. I know I was lost when I applied so if y’all are interested let me know I can share it.
interested!

Question for you guys. I'm not too familiar with the law of the land when it comes to updates, and dont wanna come off as annoying. Are they exclusive to post-interview? I have grades from spring term as well as a few conference abstracts that I'd like to update schools with.

I agree with OChem, you’re kind of pushing it there bud. Luckily, being URM means that alot of schools are going to gobble you up with that nice MCAT. If all else fails, apply to the predominantly white MD schools (Mizzou, Oklahoma, etc.). They have a quota to fill according to new AAMC guidelines
Where do the aamc guidelines list schools that have quotas to fill?

Whats going on everybody

Numbers:

URM Status:

State of Residence:

Maryland

ECs:

Clinical Volunteering:
~60 hrs in hospice

Research:

Leadership

Work:

LORs:

- DO letter as well

Interest:

School list:

MD's

- Howard
- Meharry
- Morehouse
- Geisinger
- Maryland Med school

DO's

- Michigan State
- Arizona state
- Nova
- Marian University
- Ohio Heritage
- PCOM
-NYTCOM
- Liberty
- AT. STill
- Des Moines
- BCOM

I suggest adding these MD schools to your application this weekend and submit the secondaries by the end of this month:
George Washington
Georgetown
Quinnipiac
Vermont
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
TCU-UNT

22 year old AA female graduated with a sociology degree 2018 (disadvantaged). planning on applying for 2021 cycle.
Undergrad cGPA: 2.86
Undergrad sGPA: ~2.7 (non science major, so I only took some pre reqs science courses)
- come from a very abusive home/ had to take care of family issues whilst attending undergrad.
- D1 college athlete
-also had to work through school

Current post bacc GPA : 4.0 (15 hrs of science classes, 3 hours non science classes)

MCAT: 498 (found out my father died days before, terrible experience, may be expired come 2020 cycle)

I plan on continuing to take more science classes during the coming up semester and summer of 2020. (~15-20 more credit hours, hoping to keep up the 4.0 or at least 3.5 or better)

plan on retaking MCAT in January (if I keep averaging 510+ on practice exams, but willing to push back to june/july)

Research:
Undergraduate research ~200 hrs, but in vet lab helping in research conducted on ticks

Shadowing experience:
-Anesthesiologist ~60 hours
-Cardiologist ~50 hours
-Emergency Medicine ~60 hours
-podiatrist~ 20
-looking to shadow primary care physician in the future
Volunteering:
- boys and girls club :300 hours
-Geriatrics ~ 40 hours
-Food bank ~50 hours
-Hospital ~ 60 hours and counting
-Non profit org (advocating for best interest of abused and neglected children) ~ 20 hrs and counting
-Church (feeding homeless) ~120 hours and counting

Leadership:
- executive board member of pre medical society in undergrad
-Mentor for first generation students in undergrad

Work:
-Volleyball coach
-Personal Tutor

I am not impressive or a stand out star and I am having to pay for my post bacc out of pocket so I would like to spend my very little money wisely when it comes to application costs. I know this is what I want to do and I am confident I will be able to pull the MCAT score up. I want to get a jump start on preparing for schools to apply for. I will be a first time applicant and I am terrified that regardless of my efforts I may be over looked so I do want to make sure I am doing all I can to have a strong application. is applying for 2021 too soon? @Goro
You need to take enough additional undergraduate level science courses so that both your sGPA and cGPA are 3.0 . Post your new MCAT score here in the future when available.

Where do the aamc guidelines list schools that have quotas to fill?
It’s a requirement for re-accreditation. If schools already show sufficient diversity, it’s not brought up. My own school was on probation for it. Now every year 10% of my class (and no more lmao) are URM.

I suggest adding these MD schools to your application this weekend and submit the secondaries by the end of this month:
George Washington
Georgetown
Quinnipiac
Vermont
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
TCU-UNT

Thank you so much. so you also seem to share the point of view that I should focus on MD schools and maybe a couple DO?

At what point should we be worried about (realistically) receiving interview invites? I got one from my alma mater in early August and it's been radio silence ever since. From what I've heard elsewhere, you shouldn't start to sweat until around Thanksgiving...but I'm feeling nervous now, lol.

At what point should we be worried about (realistically) receiving interview invites? I got one from my alma mater in early August and it's been radio silence ever since. From what I've heard elsewhere, you shouldn't start to sweat until around Thanksgiving...but I'm feeling nervous now, lol.

I’m just another applicant like you so obviously your guess is as good as mine lol but one of the things I’ve been looking at is how interviews are filling up at each school. So some schools- like USC and SUNY downstate are well into January, which is crazy. But other schools are still offering dates in early October. So I think it’s totally school dependent and I think the thanksgiving rule is probably a great “average” of all of them. The fact that you have an interview is always a good sign though!

I got my last interview invite in April. You have no need to worry lol

You need to take enough additional undergraduate level science courses so that both your sGPA and cGPA are 3.0 . Post your new MCAT score here in the future when available.
yes, I am registered for 15 hours for spring semester! After that my sGPA will be a 3.0 if I do well in them, and my overall will be around a 3.2. I am also applying to some SMP for 2020.

Does anyone have any advice and/or tips specific to an interview at UPitt based on experience or prior knowledge of the school? If so please dm or reply to this comment. Thanks so much! :)

21 year old Mexican-American female with bio major, chem&spanish minors. Current senior at a T10 Private. Texas Resident
Undergrad cGPA: ~3.6
Undergrad sGPA: ~3.4

MCAT: 515

Research:
Undergraduate research since Freshman year, ~1200 hours, on a published abstract, candidate for graduation with distinction
Summer research internship, 400 hours, first author on published abstract/poster session

Shadowing experience:
-Cardiologist ~15 hours
-Pediatric Primary Care ~12 hours
-Psych ~ 120hrs
- Ortho ~8hours
- Burn Unit ~6hrs

Volunteering:
- Service within the hispanic population for 3 years
- Volunteer dance instructor
- Emergency Dept Volunteer

Leadership:
- founded autism awareness organization
- Army ROTC, distinguished military graduate (top 20% in nation),
- Safety Officer for D1 Dance Team for 4 yrs
- Social Chair for sorority-esque group

Work:
-Tour Guide
-Caregiver for sister with disabilities

Applied to all Texas Schools, my undergrad's med school, + Tufts, Georgetown, Baylor, Northwestern & Chicago (waived fees), Sinai/Columbia/Cornell for giggles, Emory, Boston

Currently sitting with 3 IIs from TX MD schools, but applied late due to military training over the summer so they all came within the last week, hopefully expecting a few more!

• Love
I’m accepted guys!!!! I really can’t believe it what a journey this has been so far! Hope others heard some good news! To those who haven’t heard back yet- the finish line is always the same, which is to say we’re all going to get to the same place. If you’re early, late, whatever it’s always right on time :)

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
I took the mcat, got married, had my first child, and was accepted to my home institution with a full ride in the past 9 months. Hell of a year.

We are all going to make it. God is good.

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
Hi! Me again I wanted to say thank you for advocating for me again! I just want to let you so far I have 2 IIs :) Which I honestly thought I would have 0. Still waiting on the rest of my schools.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! Me again I wanted to say thank you for advocating for me again! I just want to let you so far I have 2 IIs :) Which I honestly thought I would have 0. Still waiting on the rest of my schools.
CONGRATS!!!!! I’m so proud of you. Can’t wait to see those interviews turn into acceptances

I'm excited for you guys. Hopefully a year from today, I'm in the same shoes

Congratulations to y'all on your acceptances! I see you!

• Love