2020-2021 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Joplin) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any female here looking for a roomate? We have a 3 bed house lined up and need a third roomate.

Members don't see this ad.

Incoming first year medical student here! Let me know if y’all have any questions!
Hey! I wanted to know how much is the insurance that is offered through blue cross blue shield? does it include dental and vision? Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
The letter I received said they are tentatively holding it on the 23rd of July. So I’m assuming end of orientation and before classes start if all goes well.
anything about potentially bringing guests? also what letter was it?

Members don't see this ad :)
anything about potentially bringing guests? also what letter was it?
It was a congratulations on acceptance to KCU letter. I got it in the mail a while back. It did not say anything about guests only that it would be tentatively held on the 23rd. I am wondering the same thing whether to invite my parents to come or not. I’m hoping they will answer some more of our questions on the 28th on accepted students Day.

@LordCommander I personally have Sparklight internet, as I think most students do, but it depends on where in Joplin you'll be living.

@PegasusCO1022 I would definitely take the tentative date with a grain of salt. They have them "tentatively" scheduled out in 4 year blocks. Per admin, the C/O 2024 will be having their white coat ceremony before the C/O 2025. I'm assuming they are waiting to see how the graduation programs go at both campuses, as well as vaccination progress, before making a final decision on dates.

@LordCommander I personally have Sparklight internet, as I think most students do, but it depends on where in Joplin you'll be living.

@PegasusCO1022 I would definitely take the tentative date with a grain of salt. They have them "tentatively" scheduled out in 4 year blocks. Per admin, the C/O 2024 will be having their white coat ceremony before the C/O 2025. I'm assuming they are waiting to see how the graduation programs go at both campuses, as well as vaccination progress, before making a final decision on dates.
Yea I assumed when they said tentative that was likely what they meant lol. That’s why I haven’t invited family to come yet cause they haven’t confirmed anything yet. That’s wild 2024 still hasn’t had their white coat ceremony. I hope that works out for them soon. What a crazy year! Thanks for the update!

Hello,
I'd really appreciate it if anyone could comment on Copper point landing. I'm hearing mixed reviews and dont know if i should move forward with the application.
Thanks in advance :)

if the avg is 85% then what does it take to be in the "top quartile" lol

is it something like this?
100-90%-1st quartile
90-85%-2nd quartile
85-80%-3rd quartile
70-80%-4th quartile

Last edited:
Hey can someone tell me where I can get apparel for specifically KCU-COM?

Has anyone submitted their immunizations via SentryMD yet? I tried and didn't get confirmation, so I don't know if it went through or not.

Has anyone submitted their immunizations via SentryMD yet? I tried and didn't get confirmation, so I don't know if it went through or not.
They got back to me within a day of submission, and they claim to be able to finish processing in two business days. If they don't get back to you by Tuesday then you might want to call/email them, but for now there's nothing you need to worry about (I didn't get a confirmation as well).

Members don't see this ad :)
They got back to me within a day of submission, and they claim to be able to finish processing in two business days. If they don't get back to you by Tuesday then you might want to call/email them, but for now there's nothing you need to worry about (I didn't get a confirmation as well).
Awesome that sounds good - thanks for the help!

Awesome that sounds good - thanks for the help!

Also, I’d check online for the status. When I submitted the first round (needed some boosters) they sent an email saying they received the upload. In that email the link to upload additional documents was the WRONG link and I caught it before uploading to another program. So I’d check and make sure you’re following the correct link listed on the how to document that KCU puts out. Then login and you can see exactly what has been verified and what is pending you to upload. That said, if you still don’t see it verified, definitely call/email to get an update.

Hey guys I saw that some people did not have a Facebook page. A new GroupMe has been made for accepted students. Message me if you would like to join and I will add you!
Hi I’m newly admitted can you add me to the group me

I was wondering if anyone knew how difficult traveling to Joplin is? I was looking at the closest airport and seems to be springfield however the flights are pretty expensive because I feel like its lowkey. Would it be easier to fly into Kansas City or another city and just get a bus to joplin? If someone also from out of state could shed some light on how they plan on setting up their travel arrangements that would be greatly appreciated haha. Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone knew how difficult traveling to Joplin is? I was looking at the closest airport and seems to be springfield however the flights are pretty expensive because I feel like its lowkey. Would it be easier to fly into Kansas City or another city and just get a bus to joplin? If someone also from out of state could shed some light on how they plan on setting up their travel arrangements that would be greatly appreciated haha. Thanks!
I'd probably look at the cost of flights to all the nearby major cities and then factor in cost of renting a car or other travel into town. That's what I may be doing soon to look for a place to live, but I'll be driving in when we move.

In March I flew directly into Joplin (JLN) on American Airlines, it wasn’t too expensive about $330 round trip from the west coast. We went on a house hunting trip and boy was it an experience! If you’re from a big metro city like myself, it’s going to be an adjustment for sure.

We chose not to fly into Kansas City and burn 2.5 hours driving each way.

Pro tip: rent from the Avis or Hertz at the Joplin airport, the other rental companies do not pick you up from the airport and depending on your flight will make dropping off the car a lot more difficult - they aren’t open at 5am to drop off for the first flight out of the day. (Provided you’re going out on a house hunting or med school tour trip)

Fly into Joplin airport! I believe starting June 1st, Joplin airport has flights to Houston, Denver and chicago. As of now it’s just Dallas and chicago. So you can easily find a connecting flight since those cities are big hubs.

Fly into Joplin airport! I believe starting June 1st, Joplin airport has flights to Houston, Denver and chicago. As of now it’s just Dallas and chicago. So you can easily find a connecting flight since those cities are big hubs.
going off of that, it's actually just Dallas right now up until june 1. Chicago was discontinued through american as of late 2020. Gooing forward all flights will be through United instead of AA.

going off of that, it's actually just Dallas right now up until june 1. Chicago was discontinued through american as of late 2020. Gooing forward all flights will be through United instead of AA.

Wait, United is taking over the JLN route? This is very sad news.

Hey guys I saw that some people did not have a Facebook page. A new GroupMe has been made for accepted students. Message me if you would like to join and I will add you!
Hey I'm unable to message you as well! But would like to join the GroupMe!

Does anyone know how does the curriculum look like? Is it lecture - system base for both second and first year ?

Does anyone know how does the curriculum look like? Is it lecture - system base for both second and first year ?
I’ll let you know for sure after the Accepted Students day event this week, but if I remember correctly it’s a mix of lecture and case based learning. It’s a two pass systems based model, where year 1 focuses on systems from a more scientific angle (biochem, etc) and year 2 is more clinical context for systems.

Hey could you add me to the GroupMe also

I’ll let you know for sure after the Accepted Students day event this week, but if I remember correctly it’s a mix of lecture and case based learning. It’s a two pass systems based model, where year 1 focuses on systems from a more scientific angle (biochem, etc) and year 2 is more clinical context for systems.
I signed up for the Accepted students day pretty late. They said there would be an agenda for tomorrow, did they ever send that out?

Was there also a welcome package? Just curious what was in it.

I signed up for the Accepted students day pretty late. They said there would be an agenda for tomorrow, did they ever send that out?

Was there also a welcome package? Just curious what was in it.
Yes! I haven't received the welcome package yet but I did receive an email with the Zoom link and agenda. I can PM you?

@z Man Would you message me to add me to the GroupMe? I tried sending you a PM, but not allowed. Thanks!

Pre-II R!
Was placed on the II waitlist (highest priority) back in September, never got the II though

Yes! I haven't received the welcome package yet but I did receive an email with the Zoom link and agenda. I can PM you?

Could you PM me as well??

can you PM me also?
They just sent out a reminder email for the event tonight, which you should have gotten if you’re signed up for it. It had the agenda and info about the welcome kit.

Reactions: 1 users
Just withdrew my acceptance! Hope one of you can get pulled off the WL soon. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys know if residency programs know that we are specifically from Joplin campus or just that we are from KCUCOM? And is there even a dif? I know the goal is to make Joplin pretty much identical so I wonder what residency programs think. Thanks in advanced :)
honestly I dont think PDs are even concerned about location. I havent heard any of my friends graduating this sunday even comment about campus...its mostly focused on the student.

Hey guys 2nd year Joplin student here - Here is a link to join the Facebook KCU-Joplin Buy/Sell Page. (sorry if it was already shared)
- Great place to look for rooms, books or furniture etc.
- Also I have a room available for rent msg me if interested 559-760-2856
- Also happy to answer any general questions about Joplin/KCU
Congrats to all the accepted!

Do any current students have any cheaper recommendations for an otoscope/ophthalmoscope. Also I was wondering if all of the materials on the list were 100% necessary

Do any current students have any cheaper recommendations for an otoscope/ophthalmoscope. Also I was wondering if all of the materials on the list were 100% necessary
Otoscope/ophthalmoscope weren't necessary in 1st or 2nd year. You can easily borrow someone else's for labs/activities that they're "required"

Last edited:
Question for current med students who go to Sam's Club there. Do they have self check out section? Asking because I plan on using my friend's sams account.

Question for current med students who go to Sam's Club there. Do they have self check out section? Asking because I plan on using my friend's sams account.
They do have a self check out as well as a QR scanner for the gas station!

There is self check out. There is also where you can scan on your phone and skip the register. Thats what I do!

They do have a self check out as well as a QR scanner for the gas station!
So is Sam's club the best place to buy gas at in Joplin? Also I am guessing there might be less chances of being jumped at a Sam's gas station.

So is Sam's club the best place to buy gas at in Joplin? Also I am guessing there might be less chances of being jumped at a Sam's gas station.
Sams has good gas prices but I've never feared for my safety while pumping gas at other stations.

Current med students, what are your thoughts on clinical rotation sites of KCU Joplin and how the school sets you up for residency? I have the option to go to MWU-CCOM and have been thinking about it more recently solely because they for a fact have rotation sites at great hospitals in Chicago and in the suburbs. Also people in the Chicago and suburbs are super nice. And I belong from that region.

Last edited:
Current med students, what are your thoughts on clinical rotation sites of KCU Joplin and how the school sets you up for residency? I have the option to go to MWU-CCOM and have been thinking about it more recently solely because they for a fact have rotation sites at great hospitals in Chicago and in the suburbs. Also people in the Chicago and suburbs are super nice. And I belong from that region.
I rotate in Joplin and I have no complaints. I have been involved in a lot of different processes of Healthcare in each rotation. It's really what you make of it but you see a lot. As this area services a lot of rural places, the patient population is vast. Minimal residents means you get up close to the action.

I know classmates that went to other sites across the country for rotations and they are also happy.